• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
fnH8z5m.gif
eemCsSg.png

Frieza would have been the best.
All that hype and then he's out right away, and he wouldn't even care since if U7 loses at least he will be happy knowing Goku will be dead.
He should have stayed dead if they were going to waste him after all that build up.

I'm glad the writers handled the eliminations the way they did compared to some of the suggestions in this thread.

HeroR

He should have stayed dead if they were going to waste him after all that build up.

I'm glad the writers handled the eliminations the way they did compared to some of the suggestions in this thread.

This is what happened when fan bias takes over.

I mean, getting rid of Frieza first just to be 'shocking' makes little sense for several reasons.

Morlas

I would say Schemmel has the potential too. He just needs to drop the "I know best" attitude.

he's got one of the best voice directors in english dubbing in chris sabat on his side so i think he'll do a good job
also Schemmel is the best at powerup screams i won't hear any argument

Slaythe

I still hate Schemmel for setting the awful garbage precedent used in XV2 that the foreign voice directors used for the actual show.

LatAM got lucky cause they dubbed the show super late but the other countries are RIP. =(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I still hate Schemmel for setting the awful garbage precedent used in XV2 that the foreign voice directors used for the actual show.

LatAM got lucky cause they dubbed the show super late but the other countries are RIP. =(

It's not his fault Toei didn't tell them about the twist until it was too late and he's fixing it for the US dub of the show. If anything you guys should be mad at Toei for not doing their job properly.

If we're going to assign blame for that, then Toei is at fault for telling him nothing about the character other than he's an evil Goku.

Not that I think he has any influence over other countries dubbing.

Fj0823

We're still getting the gruff...

https://youtu.be/qJ3g6TC-e4c

That said, it's dialogue from Black's very first appearance, he might've softened it like Champa's VA has softened after his first appearance

Rutger

Banned

Nah, using him for a joke like that would have added far more than what he has done up until this point, and probably more entertaining than whatever plan we all know he's gonna pull.

Hell, even if he was eliminated first they could still easily find a way to have him try to take over things. It doesn't mean he would be completely wasted, it would just have the added bonus of making U7 look worse off than it does with the loss of Tien, Roshi, and Krillin combined.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We're still getting the gruff...

https://youtu.be/qJ3g6TC-e4c

That said, it's dialogue from Black's very first appearance, he might've softened it like Champa's VA has softened after his first appearance

This is what happens when you don't clue actors in on a twist concerning their character. It's why Rowling told Rickman about Snape when he was cast, if you don't let the actors know what's coming they can't portray it in their performances.

This is what happened when fan bias takes over.

I mean, getting rid of Frieza first just to be 'shocking' makes little sense for several reasons.

Freeza has to be around until the end for when the question shifts from "which universe will survive?" to "who in U7 gets that wish?" And, other than Goku, doesn't Vegeta have the most ringouts? Hey, that's a pretty good set-up for Vegeta vs. Freeza.

Where's Goku? Obviously he let his guard down and got blown up by a bug.

HeroR

Nah, using him for a joke like that would have added far more than what he has done up until this point, and probably more entertaining than whatever plan we all know he's gonna pull.

Hell, even if he was eliminated first they could still easily find a way to have him try to take over things. It doesn't mean he would be completely wasted, it would just have the added bonus of making U7 look worse off than it does with the loss of Tien, Roshi, and Krillin combined.

Frieza was already used as a joke in Resurrection ‘F’. So why would him being a joke again be better for the story?

And U7 isn’t supposed to ‘look worse’. They were the universe to fear going in.

It would have added nothing and you know it. The surprise you're suggesting would have gone about as well as Frost's secret nature. There's nothing really that surprising about your proposal anyway considering tons of people were calling for him to betray the team immediately once the tournament started.

Having him eliminated first just establishes him as a non threat and shows he isn't capable of taking over shit since he can't plan ahead.

If you care that much about putting U7 in a tougher spot than getting rid of Vegeta, or Gohan first would work even better than your idea. Since Freeza would still be on that team and could betray them at any point when it actually mattered.

Seiniyta

I think after the tournament of power we'll have 1-2 more arcs related to the other universes before we transition into End of Z and progress the story from there in a new series. (Dragon Ball Super 2 or whatever). There would only be a week or two between the first and second series however. It'd still basically be continuously.

dickroach

I think after this arc there's going to be a 30 episode arc of Beerus and Whis going around the different universes trying new foods like Guy Fieri

Rutger

Banned
Frieza was already used as a joke in Resurrection ‘F'. So why would him being a joke again be better for the story?

And U7 isn't supposed to ‘look worse'. They were the universe to fear going in.
Him being a joke would have been better because reviving him will always be a joke. Might as well embrace it.

And no, U7 is not the universe to fear going in, they're considered the second worse off overall.
It would have added nothing and you know it. The surprise you're suggesting would have gone about as well as Frost's secret nature. There's nothing really that surprising about your proposal anyway considering tons of people were calling for him to betray the team immediately once the tournament started.

Having him eliminated first just establishes him as a non threat and shows he isn't capable of taking over shit since he can't plan ahead.

If you care that much about putting U7 in a tougher spot than getting rid of Vegeta, or Gohan first would work even better than your idea. Since Freeza would still be on that team and could betray them at any point when it actually mattered.

No it wouldn't have because Vegeta and Gohan are characters worth developing more.

And yeah, nothing about Frieza brings a surprise to this arc since he can be read so easily, but him half-assing it in the tournament and getting knocked out early would have a little unexpected after all his build up, and I would have found it more entertaining than what he has done so far.

Him being a joke would have been better because reviving him will always be a joke. Might as well embrace it.

And no, U7 is not the universe to fear going in, they're considered the second worse off overall.

No it wouldn't have because Vegeta and Gohan are characters worth developing more.

And yeah, nothing about Frieza brings a surprise to this arc since he can be read so easily, but him half-assing it in the tournament and getting knocked out early would have a little unexpected after all his build up.

Or they could you know try to do something different with the character instead of rehashing Movie 12, GT or the Trunks arc yet again. Since the 4th time is usually the charm for a surprise to work.

You're just playing favorites now considering most of Vegeta or Gohan character arcs could be called completed in the Buu and Zamasu sagas respectfully.

HeroR

And yeah, nothing about Frieza brings a surprise to this arc since he can be read so easily, but him half-assing it in the tournament and getting knocked out early would have a little unexpected after all his build up, and I would have found it more entertaining than what he has done so far.

Just because Toei made bring back Frieza a joke doesn’t mean Super needs to repeat it. The fact that Frieza is back and is taken very seriously is more of a ‘shock’ then tossing him out first, which really does nothing to serve the story. It doesn’t even raise the stakes like getting rid of Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, or 17 since Frieza is a wild card. What would even be the point of Frieza replacing Buu if it ends in a joke. It just makes being Frieza back a twist and a troll just for the sake of it.

U7 was the second worst, but the gods saw U7’s power when they fought U9 and were shocked Goku had god ki. They were the easy bet to win going in, which is why they’ve been target so much.

Also, “Vegeta and Gohan are characters worth developing more“. This is the character bias I’m talking about. What makes Vegeta and Gohan so special that they ‘worth developing more‘.

Yeah, Frieza was so easy to read that fans thought for sure he would betray U7 last week, until he didn’t.

Morlas

Do not ever fucking tell me the Faulconer score didn't greatly improve Z. I'll give it to Kai for being better written, but that was like having cereal with 2% milk.

Are you on my team or not?

sure it did for certain scenes like that one, but nothing will make up for the fact that Kai is acted a million times better....you can tell in the older episodes that Schemmel wasn't as experienced as he is now

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Do not ever fucking tell me the Faulconer score didn't greatly improve Z. I'll give it to Kai for being better written, but that was like having cereal with 2% milk.

Are you on my team or not?

Only for that scene and only in the 'so bad it's good' sense

Mostly everything else is annoying bad while that scene and a few others are funny bad.

Skeeter49

One thing that keeps me up at night:

Let's say Bojack was canon. Could Goku draw energy from Bojack when he's trapped in King Kai's planet when creating a Genki Dama? Or would Bojack have to give it to him willingly?

Only for that scene and only in the 'so bad it's good' sense

Mostly everything else is annoying bad while that scene and a few others are funny bad.

The original dub's peaks are worth its lows. Kai's peaks never come close and a large part of that is music and some of the voices.

Sure, Kai sounds better (aka cleaner), but compare these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlFk6WeDHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ef9Bj_0Ig

The latter had much more weight behind it.

This is probably the best thing I've seen from Kai though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6A9CL9HLw

It's also a good example of how Kai can be annoyingly verbose, not saying dumb it down, but they can definitely get their point across using less words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom