• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daingurse

sure it did for certain scenes like that one, but nothing will make up for the fact that Kai is acted a million times better....you can tell in the older episodes that Schemmel wasn't as experienced as he is now

I can't enjoy Kai. The script and acting are immensely better, but I honestly need the Shuki Levy and Bruce Faulconer soundtracks. I just have far too much nostalgia towards the old music and voices, and am unable to appreciate anything else. I just read the manga when I want to enjoy DBZ without all the fluff.

Although I won't lie, I would like to see the fabled Ocean Kai. Brian Drummond's Vegeta with good dialogue definitely peaks my interest.

Rutger

Banned
You're just playing favorites now considering most of Vegeta or Gohan character arcs could be called completed in the Buu and Zamasu sagas respectfully.

Also, “Vegeta and Gohan are characters worth developing more“. This is the character bias I’m talking about. What makes Vegeta and Gohan so special that they ‘worth developing more‘.

Frieza, like many villains in the series, was simply a force for the heroes to overcome. His character pretty much ends at "greedy powerful alien", we never get any insight into him as a character, what motivates him or what made him what he is. That works fine on Namik and his worth as a character ends with his death. He doesn't have the depth to carry multiple storylines as a villain, so no matter how serious he is treated in the story, bringing him back is a joke because it is repeating the same simple character who has no place anymore.

Vegeta and Gohan are different. Vegeta also started out as a simple force for the heroes to overcome, but quickly played a very different role in the next arc. He was able to develop as a character after that, we get to see what has made him into who he is and he has changed overtime. Both him and Gohan are in a new position in the story, with growing families their stories are most certainly not complete.

Frieza so far is still just that force, and with the writers/story showing no signs of wanting to change that dynamic, he is not bringing anything new to the story. And I can understand why he hasn't changed after multiple chances, where is there to go with the most popular villain when he is mostly just an obstacle for the heroes, and wasn't designed to last more than that one arc?

Vegeta and Gohan have far more going for them as characters at this point. I don't think this is really debatable, but if you have something to say other than "you're just biased" then I'll gladly listen.

One thing that keeps me up at night:

Let's say Bojack was canon. Could Goku draw energy from Bojack when he's trapped in King Kai's planet when creating a Genki Dama? Or would Bojack have to give it to him willingly?
I don't understand the scenario in which this could possibly occur??

Bojack was never trapped in King Kai's planet

Skeeter49

I don't understand the scenario in which this could possibly occur??

Bojack was never trapped in King Kai's planet

How did Bojack work then?
I thought that was the lore behind him. Cell blew up the planet, out comes Bojack?

Maybe I need to rewatch Bojack. It has Trunks vs. Tien. Unless I'm wrong about that as well.

I thought that was the lore behind him. Cell blew up the planet, out comes Bojack?

Maybe I need to rewatch Bojack. It has Trunks vs. Tien. Unless I'm wrong about that as well.

Bojack was sealed in a star by the four Kais, not sealed inside North Kai's planet.

Caught up on this arc recently, no idea why the writers opted for the choice between Frieza and Buu when they could have easily included both and just removed Tien, they clearly had no plans to utilise him & wasted Buu's new design.

Would have been far more interesting to see Buu with his new power mimicking other contestants moves before being blown away by Jiren as a demonstration of strength instead of that cannon fodder blue thing.

Also Roshi has been the best so far, his episodes reminded me of the original dragonball with opponents techniques being more important than power levels.

Skeeter49

Bojack was sealed in a star by the four Kais, not sealed inside North Kai's planet.
My whole life has been a lie.
24d42654469aad656a80b8eb0c2026d78974aa5d_hq.gif

Caught up on this arc recently, no idea why the writers opted for the choice between Frieza and Buu when they could have easily included both and just removed Tien, they clearly had no plans to utilise him & wasted Buu's new design.

Would have been far more interesting to see Buu with his new power mimicking other contestants moves before being blown away by Jiren as a demonstration of strength instead of that cannon fodder blue thing.

Also Roshi has been the best so far, his episodes reminded me of the original dragonball with opponents techniques being more important than power levels.

Would have been too perfect for it to be true.

Frieza, like many villains in the series, was simply a force for the heroes to overcome. His character pretty much ends at "greedy powerful alien", we never get any insight into him as a character, what motivates him or what made him what he is. That works fine on Namik and his worth as a character ends with his death. He doesn't have the depth to carry multiple storylines as a villain, so no matter how serious he is treated in the story, bringing him back is a joke because it is repeating the same simple character who has no place anymore.

Vegeta and Gohan are different. Vegeta also started out as a simple force for the heroes to overcome, but quickly played a very different role in the next arc. He was able to develop as a character after that, we get to see what has made him into who he is and he has changed overtime. Both him and Gohan are in a new position in the story, with growing families their stories are most certainly not complete.

Frieza so far is still just that force, and with the writers/story showing no signs of wanting to change that dynamic, he is not bringing anything new to the story. And I can understand why he hasn't changed after multiple chances, where is there to go with the most popular villain when he is mostly just an obstacle for the heroes, and wasn't designed to last more than that one arc?

Vegeta and Gohan have far more going for them as characters at this point. I don't think this is really debatable, but if you have something to say other than "you're just biased" then I'll gladly listen.

Freeza's a character that has tons of revivals but no real attempts to be anything other than he was at the end of Namek saga. That's because, until now, there has never really been any attempt to use him other than a measuring stick that Goku and Vegeta had to surpass. It's funny you mention how Vegeta changed during Namek arc since that's arguably what Freeza role is now for this tournament arc and why I love what it's doing for his character.

For once in his life, Freeza is finally not being short-sighted and actually worked with Gohan, which is something he ever would have attempted in the Namek arc. He's changing subtly in the way he operates and adds more the stakes of the arc despite not directly being the main antagonist like he was in his previous arc. He's adding more to this arc than anything we've seen with Gohan and Vegeta. Who has been using that family excuse as the sole motivating factor for anything since the Buu saga, and it's quite frankly boring at this point when the Dragon Ball fix anything that might happen to their family.

Most of the characters in Dragon Ball have started out as one-note entity in their debut arc until AT gave some focus on them, and they finally became actual characters. Gohan and Vegeta both had time to develop where they are now, and I expect the same to happen to Freeza. So it's not exactly a fair comparison only ten episodes in when the latest arc isn't even finished.

He's already back now and it's clear the writers do intend to actually do something with him besides repeating an already overused joke.

Nah the 4 Kai's trapped him in a star or something

Edit: beaten like gohan beat bojack

Rutger

Banned
Last edited by Chaotic-Strike; Today at 05:34 PM. Reason: I never want to write this much about a cartoon show ever again.
Hahaha. Well, thanks for going along with my boredom though. It's been more than I wanted to write as well, but oh well.

For once in his life, Freeza is finally not being short-sighted and actually worked with Gohan, which is something he ever would have attempted in the Namek arc. He's changing subtly in the way he operates and adds more the stakes of the arc despite not directly being the main antagonist like he was in his previous arc.

Alright, I can admit that I didn't think of that. I'm not convinced yet that it is a big enough change to affect what his role in the story is, but it is something. At this point all we can do is wait and see.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Speaking of Frieza...Frost getting erased by having an overreaction to an insult reminded me the way Frieza died by Goku for having his pride shattered, only reversed now. Frieza being Goku and Frost being his former old self during Namek.

Fj0823

Preview of Mario Castañeda as Goku Black:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlWrNhoYhHk

Slightly better Audio

https://youtu.be/J4ZmQMU3a7I

Edit: Watching his appearance on that show, Castañeda talks about recent Super episodes and characters. Seems like he's watching the show every week!

That's great as he'll know what to expect and how to properly act key moments

His best comment was "So TOEI resurrects Freezer and I think about what a good idea that is, we all love Freezer! then it turns out he resurrected so that I kill him again shortly after!...and now he's some sort of Walking Dead Freezer who I'm sure I'll have to kill again, and it's gonna be awesome"

Fj0823

https://youtu.be/KBksT86VVBM

Mario Castañeda Interview, interesting point:

>"Super Saiyan Blue" and "Goku Black" are supposed to be the official names in all languages, TOEI mandated it.

He also talks about next week's double episode, so he's absolutely watching the show on Crunchyroll lol

Slightly better Audio

Edit: Watching his appearance on that show, Castañeda talks about recent Super episodes and characters. Seems like he's watching the show every week!

His best comment was "So TOEI resurrects Freezer and I think about what a good idea that is, we all love Freezer! then it turns out he resurrected so that I kill him again shortly after!...and now he's some sort of Walking Dead Freezer who I'm sure I'll have to kill again, and it's gonna be awesome"

tenor.gif

HardRojo

Slightly better Audio

This was really close to my house lol, like a kilometer away probably, but I don't like the whole "otaku" thing and shit, which was one of the reasons I didn't want to go in the first place.
Edit: Need to hear more of Goku Black, but it seems he's doing a great job and not going for the completely rough and Nolanesque's Batman.

I like him correcting the interviewer here, she said "Black Goku" and he replied "Goku Black". HYPE!

Is it me or Castañeda is wearing a Time Ring? He is, isn't he? DAMN!

I14wONc.png

Fj0823

This was really close to my house lol, like a kilometer away probably, but I don't like the whole "otaku" thing and shit, which was one of the reasons I didn't want to go in the first place.

Preach.

"Otaku" BS is pathetic and toxic in Costa Rica. It's devolved into a bunch of horny asshole kissing the ground equally assholish female "cosplay celebrities" walk. All while both groups harass any other female cosplayer or guest. Either because they "stole" their character for cosplay or because they want a picture with her.

I swore off that shit long ago.

Edit: That does look like a Time Ring, holy shit xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom