• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final guess: it's not just that he absorbed the Genki Dama, it's that it contains energy from both Supreme Kais, Gods of Destruction, and possibly angels and it somehow mixes to create a new type of divine ki.

Morlas

FinishedZealousHylaeosaurus-max-1mb.gif

Zubz

Banned
I meant when he decides to go for a Genkidama.

It's probably gonna take a while.

Maybe they're gonna use Vegeta 17 and Frieza as jobbers while Goku is charging to show how tough Jiren is.

Yup. The Zenos will almost certainly feed into it. Them raising their hands has been a running thing this season, & they're definitely the kind of kids that applauded during "clap your hands if you believe in fairies" moments. I bet it'll speed up the charging process, but not enough that Goku won't need to have at least someone stall for him.

I don't know why anyone other than Beerus, Whis, & maybe the idle angels would join in, though, seeing how it helps U7. Maybe the Great Priest, if Goku winning leads into some sort of plan of his.

Rutger

Banned
1. Krillin
2. 18
3. Gohan
4. Piccolo
5. Vegeta

Sounds about right. The first two are pretty close and the last three are pretty close. They all are very enjoyable to watch, bring an interesting dynamic to the cast, and some have seen the strongest character development in the series. Future Trunks is just below them, along with probably Beerus, Whis, and 17.
As for Goku, I don't hate him, but I don't think the series has done enough with the things that could make him interesting(like with how unheroic he is), so he just ends up feeling kind of bland.

HeroR

He also worked in failures and in one specific case, writing in a model similar to Super's (wrote a movie based on the original author's outline and design), the original author went and redid the story by himself later.

Anyway, in this case, we have most viewers rejecting the reaction of the characters to the events of that episode. So, he did fail there.

(The above was about the Tenshinhan elimination episode and its writer, don't mix up with the bellow one which was about the pre-tournament episode)

I mean, I mentioned it right there, and you just ignored it in order to post that. In the team sparring episode, Tenshinhan was constantly surprised and complaining about how serious everyone was about a sparring section right before the tournament, and yet the first time he used a ki blast it was already a Kikoho. You know, the attack that takes a lot of control to avoid draining his life force. That's a pretty obvious mistake that basically only can happen if the writer doesn't care about his character beyond being the "Kikoho guy".

You keep using 'he wrote a failure', without given context about why it failed. Was the writing bad? Were the characters bad? Did the audience just not like it like Cowboy Bebop. Just saying 'it failed' tells me nothing. If he was 'bad' I doubt they were let him write key episodes and he's even teamed up with Super's best writer for the special.

We can say the episode failed, but to say it happened because the writer was bad is eye-rolling, especially when Tien was done in by two other writers that you try to handwave as 'before the tournament'.

NeonZ

You keep using 'he wrote a failure', without given context about why it failed. Was the writing bad? Were the characters bad? Did the audience just not like it like Cowboy Bebop. Just saying 'it failed' tells me nothing. If he was 'bad' I doubt they were let him write key episodes and he's even teamed up with Super's best writer for the special.

By "failure" in that case I mean commercial failures. I also disliked some of his past works too due to various issues, but subjectivity like that would go nowhere when talking with you.

A lot of Japanese entertainment industry works based on veteran status, so some people can fail upwards as long as they aren't just associated with failures. Most of the works where he has a main writer/series composition credit have done badly for years now, although he has gotten secondary writer credits for successful series, which is presumably how he still gets to write for more successful series.

We can say the episode failed, but to say it happened because the writer was bad is eye-rolling, especially when Tien was done in by two other writers that you try to handwave as 'before the tournament'.
I'm not handwaving it as being "before the tournament", I just mentioned that directly there because I feared you might think both parts of my post were about the same writer/episode.

What I said regarding the episodes before the tournament was that they never set out to push Tenshinhan in the first place. Meanwhile, Hiroshi Yamaguchi's episode had lines like "Taking it to a draw at the very end was impressive. You have my praise", and "Thanks to Tenshinhan's efforts, Universe 7 managed to defeat the troublesome Hermila and Prum", but the viewers just can't buy that due to the episode's own writing.

Cabba is just suffering from built up breakdown syndrome. His case is more severe than goten and trunks because it happened in a shorter time span

Was he built up? He made for a nice contrast from Goku and Vegeta. But power wise, he was never really hyped in that department. I just like him as a character doing his thing, like how he interacts with everyone.

HeroR

By "failure" in that case I mean commercial failures. I also disliked some of his past works too due to various issues, but subjectivity like that would go nowhere when talking with you.

A lot of Japanese entertainment industry works based on veteran status, so some people can fail upwards as long as they aren't just associated with failures. Most of the works where he has a main writer/series composition credit have done badly for years now, although he has gotten secondary writer credits for successful series, which is presumably how he still gets to write for more successful series.

I'm not handwaving it as being "before the tournament", I just mentioned that directly there because I feared you might think both parts of my post were about the same writer/episode.

What I said regarding the episodes before the tournament was that they never set out to push Tenshinhan in the first place. Meanwhile, Hiroshi Yamaguchi's episode had lines like "Taking it to a draw at the very end was impressive. You have my praise", and "Thanks to Tenshinhan's efforts, Universe 7 managed to defeat the troublesome Hermila and Prum", but the viewers just can't buy that due to the episode's own writing.

I now what you meant, but you're not telling me why they were commercial failures. Not all commercial failures is because of bad quality. Were they commercial failures because the writing was bad? If not, them being commercial failures doesn't matter here.

Again, did these series failed because of iffy and bad writing? Unless the answer is yes, then his projects failing isn't related to his writing quality.

I know you were talking about Tien's elimination.

That isn't true since Episode 88 was made to push both Tien and Roshi. The ending explained why Tien joined the tournament and the plot revolved around his school. In Episode 90, it was supposed to be a tag-team of two high quality fighters. Otherwise, why even have Tien fight? And as another poster on Kanzenshuu pointed it, it would be the series director who oversees such things. The writers in the grand scheme of things don't have much control.

Was he built up? He made for a nice contrast from Goku and Vegeta. But power wise, he was never really hyped in that department.
A strong saiyan from another universe on par with base vegeta(ss3 gotenks did nothing) who had the potential to turn into a form he didn’t know existed the same day he learned about it , got the respect from vegeta..VEGETA! And took on a almost pupil type roll only to be sidelined by two other saiyans and not do a damn thing since

Built up breakdown syndrome

HardRojo

Ok so here's my top 5 after giving it some thought and taking some recent developments into account:

1. Vegeta
  2. Vegito
  3. Beerus
  4. Gohan
  5. Piccolo
Honorable mentions in no particular order: Frieza, 17, Goku Black, Goku (when serious and somewhat serious, think Namek battle, Saiyan arc, HTC training with Gohan, last part of the Buu arc and Frieza recruitment episodes), Mr. Satan, and Whis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom