• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

HeroR

All they had to do is break the stage. The man with arm seeking lasers that lost to Tien could do this

The only reason breaking the stage worked on Tien is because Tien wasn't expecting it and was caught flatfooted, and Tien was a moron for not using an energy attack to save himself like what Krillin did when he saved 18.

That's why I said Hit should drop him.

Like stop using the technique

Jiren would have just floated anyway. He can fly, we all saw that during 110.

Edit:

At least this looks very much like flying, I dunno.

giphy.gif

LordOfChaos

giphy.gif

I thought that was just a stylization of everything else falling away from their minds.

Not that they were actually hovering so far above the ground that they couldn't see the piles of rubble or other characters, as flying is a DQ.

Kevinroc

I thought ki-based flying was just turned off. Not that the characters could do it but chose not to because it was an instant DQ. We saw some fighters who could fly through means other than using their ki.

The rule of cool surpasses the Grand Priest in power

Also this.

HeroR

Jiren would have just floated anyway. He can fly, we all saw that during 110.

Edit:

They're falling. This was done all the time in the original Dragon Ball. Remember, these fights are not happening in real time, they're slowed so we can see them. Like the entire fight between Hit and Jiren happened in less than a minute.

Is funny because if the 3 little saiyans attacked Jiren and ended up doing nothing, people would be like "you fucking idiots! of course it doesn't work!!!".

That's why the scene of Goku using multiple forms against Jiren exists, if you aren't +Blue level you ain't doing shit to him.

They also reiterated that point after, when a meditating Jiren couldn't even be touched, let alone moved, by weak fighters.

They're falling. This was done all the time in the original Dragon Ball. Remember, these fights are not happening in real time, they're slowed so we can see them. Like the entire fight between Hit and Jiren happened in less than a minute.

Even if it's not strictly flying, right after that scene Goku moves in the air towards Jiren as if he was. I very much doubt Jiren wouldn't be able to get onto the arena again, even if what we're seeing it's not exactly that.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ultra Instinct came with a new method of flight that isn't blocked by the GP or is just so powerful it overwhelms the GP block.

LordOfChaos

I thought ki-based flying was just turned off. Not that the characters could do it but chose not to because it was an instant DQ. We saw some fighters who could fly through means other than using their ki.

Speaking of rules, didn't the home planets gravity thing end up mattering so little that it was weird to mention at all lol? They were playing with way more gravity of that in Z already, and most tournament characters have to be past Z power.

Grand Priest hasn't been paying attention to mortals, eh.

Daingurse

The rest if the troopers were probably there because they're not allowed to just put Jiren

The other Pride Troopers are like the definition of filler. They were only needed to round out the team. Belmod would have probably been confident with Jiren alone.

Also, I can't get over Jiren meditating with half the remaining time left. I understand that he sees no one else worth fighting, but why doesn't he just end it? Jiren could wipe out all the fighters weaker than him in an instant. Instead, he's just chilling with Toppo and Dyspo posted up beside him. Just doesn't seem like a good idea, regardless of how powerful Jiren is.

Hell, imagine if the 3 remaining Pride Troopers actually used some teamwork? They would slaughter just about everyone remaining. They are an incredibly mighty trio.

HeroR

Speaking of rules, didn't the home planets gravity thing end up mattering so little that it was weird to mention at all lol? They were playing with way more gravity of that in Z already, and most tournament characters have to be past Z power.

That was the point of the rule. No fighter would have an advatange based on gravity. Like do you think Roshi would be able to fight was well as he did if he was under 10 or 20x gravity? What about someone who lived in 500x gravity and now they’re fighting under 5x?

I wonder if Jiren has some weird weakness we don't know about like having to stockpile power by meditating or it doesn't refill on it's own, or if he is just that much of an cocky asshole.

Kevinroc

I wonder how this rule applies to Goku. He was born on Planet Vegeta, but spent a vast majority of his life on Earth.

Espada

The other Pride Troopers are like the definition of filler. They were only needed to round out the team. Belmod would have probably been confident with Jiren alone.

Also, I can't get over Jiren meditating with half the remaining time left. I understand that he sees no one else worth fighting, but why doesn't he just end it? Jiren could wipe out all the fighters weaker than him in an instant. Instead, he's just chilling with Toppo and Dyspo posted up beside him. Just doesn't seem like a good idea, regardless of how powerful Jiren is.

Hell, imagine if the 3 remaining Pride Troopers actually used some teamwork? They would slaughter just about everyone remaining. They are an incredibly mighty trio.

Drama. If we had all the characters behaving in a rational, intelligent manner everyone weaker than SSB wouldn't last more than a fucking minute in the tournament. As amusing as it'd be to see Dyspo just super speed blindside people off the arena, it's not as fun as seeing all the goofy powers everyone has, or fun moments between other characters.

CryptiK

I wonder how this rule applies to Goku. He was born on Planet Vegeta, but spent a vast majority of his life on Earth.
His home planet is Earth, same with everyone else besides Freeza on that team.

how is Caulifla a tsundere? is every female that gets pissed off easily a tsundere or something?
I had to look up the meaning but I think it fits. Its not that she gets pissed off easily, she just seems like an asshole like Vegeta.

Blader

I wonder if they will reveal that there's a self-destructive limit to Jiren's power. Something like how mortals wielding strength rivaling a God of Destruction can actually be detrimental to the fighter after a certain period of time. So after fighting for a bit, Jiren has to stop and mediate to restrain his strength again -- and pushing Jiren past that limit will be the key to Goku defeating him.

M.D

UI being made into this rare thing to achieve even for a GoD, let alone for a mortal like Goku is gonna make the next threat so awkward if the next guy is stronger than Jiren and somehow a bunch of people are now also on UI level power wise

RocknRola

Remember that episode where Freeza survives (controlled?) Hakai type energy? Wonder if that will go somewhere...............................eventually.

Espada

UI being made into this rare thing to achieve even for a GoD, let alone for a mortal like Goku is gonna make the next threat so awkward if the next guy is stronger than Jiren and somehow a bunch of people are now also on UI level power wise

Maybe they're going to go with the angle of the GoDs being outclassed by the mortals they preside over? That could be an arc in itself, as I imagine some of them would not like that development. Otherwise, I agree. If UI is what's required to keep up after this arc and people start getting it left and right it's going to be weird.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So... Just like the original SSJ?

caliph95

Real reason because it would have been a short arc ending with the erasure of U7 if U11 was smart
Maybe they're going to go with the angle of the GoDs being outclassed by the mortals they preside over? That could be an arc in itself, as I imagine some of them would not like that development. Otherwise, I agree. If UI is what's required to keep up after this arc and people start getting it left and right it's going to be weird.

Pretty much

M.D

Reaching the level of a GoD is one thing, but the abilities displayed by Angels are so much greater than just raw power and physical strength.

Goku potentially keeping up in a fight with Whis is nice and all, but that doesn't mean he should be a threat to him. Sorta like how Zen-Oh can't keep up with the fights but he can squash you with one a snap of his fingers.

I mean.. scale is a bit different here, and the circumstances needed for Goku to break his limit and achieve UI are pretty damn specific as well

Daingurse

Drama. If we had all the characters behaving in a rational, intelligent manner everyone weaker than SSB wouldn't last more than a fucking minute in the tournament. As amusing as it'd be to see Dyspo just super speed blindside people off the arena, it's not as fun as seeing all the goofy powers everyone has, or fun moments between other characters.

I don't like this kind artificial drama lol. I think it is one of the contributing factors to the lack of tension in this arc. The actions and behaviors of the cast just don't mesh with the stakes at hand. I enjoy having fun character moments, but the execution of this tournament has been very flawed for me.

I wonder if they will reveal that there's a self-destructive limit to Jiren's power. Something like how mortals wielding strength rivaling a God of Destruction can actually be detrimental to the fighter after a certain period of time. So after fighting for a bit, Jiren has to stop and mediate to restrain his strength again -- and pushing Jiren past that limit will be the key to Goku defeating him.

I also wonder if the meditation is necessary. It's a bit hard to read Jiren, so I'm not really sure myself. It would make more sense to me though if the meditation was required.

We're gonna have an Ultra Instinct bargain sale in the near future!

Morlas

His home planet is Earth, same with everyone else besides Freeza on that team.

I had to look up the meaning but I think it fits. Its not that she gets pissed off easily, she just seems like an asshole like Vegeta.

No a tsundere is someone who acts like an asshole to hide how they really feel, Caulifla is pretty much an open book

Astral Dog

We still need a few episodes for the characters to shine. (Next is Cabba until Frieza beats him up)

Astral Dog

I don't like this kind artificial drama lol. I think it is one of the contributing factors to the lack of tension in this arc. The actions and behaviors of the cast just don't mesh with the stakes at hand. I enjoy having fun character moments, but the execution of this tournament has been very flawed for me.

I also wonder if the meditation is necessary. It's a bit hard to read Jiren, so I'm not really sure myself. It would make more sense to me though if the meditation was required.

We're gonna have an Ultra Instinct bargain sale in the near future!
Jiren spent the previous 48 hours meditating so maybe its a clue

LotusHD

Banned
No a tsundere is someone who acts like an asshole to hide how they really feel, Caulifla is pretty much an open book

This. She warmed up easily to Goku after seeing how strong he was, warmed up to Cabba after seeing he could transform into a Super Saiyan, has always been nice to Kale, respects Hit, etc.

Vegeta on the other hand...

giphy.gif

RocknRola

This. She warmed up easily to Goku after seeing how strong he was, warmed up to Cabba after seeing he could transform into a Super Saiyan, has always been nice to Kale, respects Hit, etc.

Vegeta on the other hand...

giphy.gif

Geets, the Ultimate Tsundere.

caliph95

It's definitely a contributing factor that and most of the enemies are not shown to be a much competence just minor roadblocks
It's not against the rules, it's made impossible. If you manage to fly anyway regardless of how you're fine.
It's one of the Rules stated but Zeno would probably be fine with it because it's cool
I mean, if Jiren needs to meditate, you can see how the pocket dimension pride trooper is useful.
True but Jiren can do it himself with his eyes so he doesn't need her and we see you can overpower it

Kimawolf

So why wasnt Pikkon asked to be on the team? Dude is supposedly a fighting genius. Surely he kept advancing in power and skill.

Top Bottom