• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

J4g3r

I get they didn't want to take hype away from the new form, but SSB Kaioken x20 deserved more than that - It just looked like every other time he's used Kaioken on top of blue this arc.

I was really hoping it would have been a step up from when he first used it on Hit (red tint etc).

Also Boogie Back is still the best.

Dark_castle

Probably not strong enough in that form. Goku went blue plus 20x Kaio Ken trying to push back against Jiren, and it wasnt enough.

Also dont think we saw anything close to Jiren's full power, even after Goku gained his new form.

Nah I was thinking, Goku should have given up hitting Jiren with spirit bomb and just deflect it in his normal form, rather than struggling in the futile attempt in blasting Jiren with the spirit bomb. Now of course in retrospect, Goku got lucky and rewarded with new form for being stubbornly offensive rather than defensive. haha

Fj0823

Man, what an AMAZING episode!

However, I still don't quite understand what Goku did to power up as he clearly didn't absorb the Genkidama. What was it then?

It was the genki dama trying to destroy him and him going beyond his limit to resist it what pushed the transformation.

Also lol at Goku not even considering using SSJ3 against Jiren. Stay Trash.

Magwik

Banned
I wonder if Gohan will ever reach this level of power. After watching these episodes I kinda now doubt that he will be the one to carry U7 past the finish line.

DLlGErtX0AEQmxF.jpg

#BELIEVE

I get they didn't want to take hype away from the new form, but SSB Kaioken x20 deserved more than that - It just looked like every other time he's used Kaioken on top of blue this arc.

I was really hoping it would have been a step up from when he first used it on Hit (red tint etc).

Wasn't that kind of the point though? The fact we didn't even know and it appeared no different than x10 is supposed to be a "Oh shit" moment

Nah I was thinking, Goku should have given up hitting Jiren with spirit bomb and just deflect it in his normal form, rather than struggling in the futile attempt in blasting Jiren with the spirit bomb. Now of course in retrospect, Goku got lucky and rewarded with new form for being stubbornly offensive rather than defensive. haha

Ah, got ya. Maybe just a pride thing on Goku's part? This was his trump card afterall, so if it failed with him giving it his all, wouldnt have mattered if he deflected it and went back to base form. Fight was over either way.

Mazumdar

Neo Member
The one week wait was worth it!

Can't decide what the best part was. Whis getting all turnt up, the shock all the GoDs had,or the feeling of intimidation from Jiren, especially in 109.

And on top of all that the soundtrack was so good.

Only disappointing thing about this week is that the new ED isn't as good as the last one. The song's okay but the visuals aren't don't do anything for me.

BTW, Zen is really clueless isn't he? Every god and angel understood what was happening to Goku, he was the only one who didn't. He's really innocent, he is being manipulated for sure.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Isn't that a woman's body? Or am I just getting confused by the rendering style?

A note on that figure says the final version will differ. Meaning it's just a placeholder image... however the rest of it says "a new fighter enters the fray..." so.

Khansolo1

SSJ for the first time is still probably the best. All the hype going into it, all the desperate struggles, then Krillin dying to make Goku snap. SSJ2 Gohan might be the only other scene where there's an argument though.

Maybe you should wait a while, no?
I mean I’m not nagging anyone to do this for me, so I don’t know why you’re confrontational towards me.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
The bit with Toppo and Dyspo attacked Goku reminded me of this scene (or the second before it):
tumblr_nb8mfvYZhR1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Only not as cool.

Dark_castle

It was the genki dama trying to destroy him and him going beyond his limit to resist it what pushed the transformation.

Also lol at Goku not even considering using SSJ3 against Jiren. Stay Trash.

Because SSJ2 and SSJ3 while cool looking are unfortunately advanced forms of SSJ that gives more power but poor control of ki, result of a lot of ki leaking and wasted energy. SSJ is a good compromise of energy boost plus less energy leak, and SSB is a form that can covers all energy level with good ki control. That's why Goku and Vegeta sticks to SSB by default now, because they can adjust energy easier, like potentiometer.

LotusHD

Banned
Because SSJ2 and SSJ3 while cool looking are unfortunately advanced forms of SSJ that gives more power but poor control of ki, result of a lot of ki leaking and wasted energy. SSJ is a good compromise of energy boost plus less energy leak, and SSB is a form that can covers all energy level with good ki control. That's why Goku and Vegeta sticks to SSB by default now, because they can adjust energy easier, like potentiometer.

He used SSJ2 tho

NimbusD

Rewatching the episode, (I never know ho wlong to keep up w spoiler tags after an episode seems people drop them quickly)
I didn't notice that goku lost the ultrainstinct ability/form twice in the lead up to the final punch that he lost. Once about 10 seconds befor ethe punch, and again right as he punches Jiren. His eyes go black even though he has the aura. I think the aura is more the spirit bomb energy, the eyes is the 'form'. Anyway,
for people who think that he couldn't take on Jiren in this form from this battle, I think are just wrong. He lost because he lost the form, not that the form isn't strong enough.
The more he got used to it, the more he succeeded in getting to jiren.

Also, Vegeta not giving energy has to have consequences down the line or something. Like Vegetas gonna be the last one standing cuz everyone else is just out of energy. Or he finally gives in and gives goku the energy he needs later.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It actually matched exactly to the time he used x20 against Freeza on Namek. Instead then it was King Kai saying "actually he's been using it this whole time and Goku's probably fucked"

It looked cool. That's literally it.

it's fucking Dragon Ball and it's hype as fuck

... Really?

Are everyone's expectations just lower with Super or something? I don't mean to go into a rant here or anything but seeing people compare this to Goku's SSJ transformation or Gohan's SSJ2 transformation just has me absolutely baffled.

Sure in visuals this looked pretty great (at least after the actual transformation before it the animation quality was once again extremely sub par) but if thats really the only standard that matters then why even watch this show when half the time the animation quality is just god awful?

These transformations used to actually mean something and since SSJ3 they just haven't felt special anymore. The moment Goku first turns into a Super Sayjin is legendary, it's Goku going beyond his limits as his rage awakens past everything we had known of Goku to that point. His transformation is scary and almost demonic in a way as if Goku might very well lose his humanity by awakening to this new power.

Gohan's transformation is fairly different but again its used as character development. For 150+ episodes we've been teased at what Gohan can really do, we would see quick glimpses of his hidden potential in almost every arc but in this moment his true ability (well at least at the time) awakens and he not only surpasses himself but surpasses Goku, its the passing of the torch in the most Shonen way possible regardless of what they've done with the story since then and its used to help Gohan grow as a character, letting himself lose control for once and ultimately having to live with the actions he ends up taking.

My point is that those transformations MEAN something, they show the characters at their absolute peak of power but also at their most vulnerable. Each of them is used to move the characters forward as they learn new things about themselves and we see sides of them we had never even thought possible. Goku almost loses himself to his rage, in a way Gohan actually does since him wanting to have Cell suffer before he kills him is ultimately what gets Goku killed at the end of the Cell arc.

Both of those transformations have very different outcomes for each character and while we'd get many many many transformations after these two after these the transformations just stopped having meaning and this transformation is no different. This could have been used as character development for Goku, maybe for once being completely out powered and out classed in a long damn time actually makes him realize how much hes underestimated everything with this tournament or just at how if he can't win then hes going to not only lose his life but his family and everything he holds dear as well.

But we don't get anything even remotely like that, he just powers up, looks cool for a few minutes and then its over. While it is refreshing to see a power up of such a clear magnitude ultimately not automatically overcome the current enemy I think the setup is made pretty clear that Goku's going to end up using that power to defeat Jiran in the end which isn't a terrible thing but it once against just boils down to yet another obvious transformation that is only used as a plot device to keep the story moving forward when it could be more then that.

So yeah, I didn't find these episodes or the new transformation very interesting, it certainly doesn't make me think this is the 'end' of transformations for Goku by any means (well unless Super ends right after this arc or something) nor does this transformation lend itself to being all that interesting on its own. Sure it looks cool now but if its just like Blue and we see it so frequently will anyone still really think its special?

kitzkozan

SSJ for the first time is still probably the best. All the hype going into it, all the desperate struggles, then Krillin dying to make Goku snap. SSJ2 Gohan might be the only other scene where there's an argument though.

Maybe you should wait a while, no?

SSJ was hinted as soon as Goku step foot on Namek and destroyed 2 members of the Genyu squad right? Yeah, the setup was well done and it must be said that it's much easier to pull it off when it's the first time duh! ;) UI came out of nowhere since it was never hinted that a new form was needed to power up further. Even so, people saw the form a couple of weeks ago and they are still hyped so DB super delivered.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
So the ending is Freezer giving Goku energy like Goku did to him in Namekkusei, right?

y u do dis.

Anyway, this episode was pretty cool and VERY Dragonball (Z)-like. I can't say I liked it that much, but it's just the inherent stupidity of Dragonball of deus ex machina, posturing, and gallery comments that's the issue which I am willing to overlook because it's Dragonball.

How come people don't consider ganging up on Jiren? I mean, it obviously won't work because it never works in Dragonball but it would make sense for them to at least try. I guess it looked like they were going to try when they were standing around the crater.

HeroR

Pretty much. It's the one scene I go back and watch on occasion more than anything else.

I just never got into the Super Saiyan 2 transformation since it so much like Super Saiyan 1 that I just couldn't care. It also felt like a retread of Goku going Super Saiyan, so it didn't have that same feeling for me.

I personally like almost all the other Super Saiyan form transformation sequences over Super Saiyan 2.

Jeffrey

Wonder if this is all a call back to goku surviving berrus 's atk in the battle of gods movie? Forget if that scene was still in dbs

mavo

Banned
Really liked the way Goku moved, looked like he was dead/being possessed, so relaxed yet so determined.

This shit really did deliver, im still hyped.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rewatching the episode, (I never know ho wlong to keep up w spoiler tags after an episode seems people drop them quickly)
I didn't notice that goku lost the ultrainstinct ability/form twice in the lead up to the final punch that he lost. Once about 10 seconds befor ethe punch, and again right as he punches Jiren. His eyes go black even though he has the aura. I think the aura is more the spirit bomb energy, the eyes is the 'form'.
This I think is true. The form started flickering as he lost stamina. He obviously needs a certain amount to maintain it.

Anyway,
for people who think that he couldn't take on Jiren in this form from this battle, I think are just wrong. He lost because he lost the form, not that the form isn't strong enough.
The more he got used to it, the more he succeeded in getting to jiren.

This I disagree with. It was pretty obvious that while he made Jiren actually fight for once, that he didn't push him all that far. Blocking that final, desperate attack is the most power Jiren displayed in that whole fight.

Odds are everyone else will get a crack at him to wear him down before Goku gets the W.

I mean I’m not nagging anyone to do this for me, so I don’t know why you’re confrontational towards me.

So just responding to you is being confrontational? Was it the "no?" The no was lighthearted sarcasm considering the episode just released lol, so maybe we should consider spoilers for other, at least for a little while, no?
;b

kiaaa

... Really?

Are everyone's expectations just lower with Super or something? I don't mean to go into a rant here or anything but seeing people compare this to Goku's SSJ transformation or Gohan's SSJ2 transformation just has me absolutely baffled.

Sure in visuals this looked pretty great (at least after the actual transformation before it the animation quality was once again extremely sub par) but if thats really the only standard that matters then why even watch this show when half the time the animation quality is just god awful?

These transformations used to actually mean something and since SSJ3 they just haven't felt special anymore. The moment Goku first turns into a Super Sayjin is legendary, it's Goku going beyond his limits as his rage awakens past everything we had known of Goku to that point. His transformation is scary and almost demonic in a way as if Goku might very well lose his humanity by awakening to this new power.

Gohan's transformation is fairly different but again its used as character development. For 150+ episodes we've been teased at what Gohan can really do, we would see quick glimpses of his hidden potential in almost every arc but in this moment his true ability (well at least at the time) awakens and he not only surpasses himself but surpasses Goku, its the passing of the torch in the most Shonen way possible regardless of what they've done with the story since then and its used to help Gohan grow as a character, letting himself lose control for once and ultimately having to live with the actions he ends up taking.

My point is that those transformations MEAN something, they show the characters at their absolute peak of power but also at their most vulnerable. Each of them is used to move the characters forward as they learn new things about themselves and we see sides of them we had never even thought possible. Goku almost loses himself to his rage, in a way Gohan actually does since him wanting to have Cell suffer before he kills him is ultimately what gets Goku killed at the end of the Cell arc.

Both of those transformations have very different outcomes for each character and while we'd get many many many transformations after these two after these the transformations just stopped having meaning and this transformation is no different. This could have been used as character development for Goku, maybe for once being completely out powered and out classed in a long damn time actually makes him realize how much hes underestimated everything with this tournament or just at how if he can't win then hes going to not only lose his life but his family and everything he holds dear as well.

But we don't get anything even remotely like that, he just powers up, looks cool for a few minutes and then its over. While it is refreshing to see a power up of such a clear magnitude ultimately not automatically overcome the current enemy I think the setup is made pretty clear that Goku's going to end up using that power to defeat Jiran in the end which isn't a terrible thing but it once against just boils down to yet another obvious transformation that is only used as a plot device to keep the story moving forward when it could be more then that.

So yeah, I didn't find these episodes or the new transformation very interesting, it certainly doesn't make me think this is the 'end' of transformations for Goku by any means (well unless Super ends right after this arc or something) nor does this transformation lend itself to being all that interesting on its own. Sure it looks cool now but if its just like Blue and we see it so frequently will anyone still really think its special?

I think you're expecting something out of Dragon Ball that, barring a few rare moments, was never there in the first place.

That was very reminiscent of Namek. Tien thought Goku still had Kaioken x10 to use against Frieza but he was already using it and still was getting his ass kicked. He uses the Spirit Bomb, it fails. Boom, new form.

SSJ was hinted as soon as Goku step foot on Namek and destroyed 2 members of the Genyu squad right? Yeah, the setup was well done and it must be said that it's much easier to pull it off when it's the first time duh! ;) UI came out of nowhere since it was never hinted that a new form was needed to power up further. Even so, people saw the form a couple of weeks ago and they are still hyped so DB super delivered.

I thought it was to be expected, but it was still exciting nonetheless.

A-V-B

This I think is true. The form started flickering as he lost stamina. He obviously needs a certain amount to maintain it.

This I disagree with. It was pretty obvious that while he made Jiren actually fight for once, that he didn't push him all that far. Blocking that final, desperate attack is the most power Jiren displayed in that whole fight.

I actually agree with the post you quoted.
As time went on, he got stronger and stronger and stronger, like some kind of ki parabola. Without that short limit, he probably would've kept evolving until he was wrecking shit.

Top Bottom