• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Moaradin

I can't be the only one that thinks it would be a shame if Frieza just goes back to being dead after this arc right? He's just so damn fun and I love his interactions with all the characters. I don't know how they'll do it, but I want him to stick around.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I wonder if Gohan will ever reach this level of power. After watching these episodes I kinda now doubt that he will be the one to carry U7 past the finish line.

Just Ultra Instinct. It allows him to react without thinking. It's not a new form or anything, it's a VERY difficult technique to learn that magnifies one's abilities beyond anything.

His Saiyan body is reacting with silver eyes (likely to show you that it's in effect)

Whis definitely made it sound like it was more than one thing

teepo

so much feels right now

the whole experience was reminiscent of when we rushed from the bus waiting anxiously in anticipation of goku turning ssj. we were intent on not missing a single second, glued to our tvs hours before toonami aired

and did this episode deliver. that was some hxh type shit

Khansolo1

vDyP7V.gif
Can someone make me a small avatar picture of goku charging here, right when his eyes widen? Thanks in advance.

This was better than original super Saiyan and super Saiyan 2 transformation

Imo

I don't know about SSJ2, I would say it was on par with it. Definitely better than the SSJ1 though.

The camera angles in 110 were out of this world. I couldn't believe in my eyes that I was watching a DB episode, everything was SO well done.

I don't know about SSJ2, I would say it was on pa with it. Definitely better than the SSJ1 though.

The camera angles in 110 were out of this world. I couldn't believe in my eyes that I was watching a DB episode, everything was SO well done.
It was incredible.

I wonder how vegetto blue would fare against jiren

Dark_castle

Um, possible plot hole?

In DBZ fight against Vegeta, Goku used Genki dama against him, but Vegeta dodged and it went Gohan's way. Goku said one who has no evil intent can deflect it away, and Gohan did. Now in DB Super, Jiren, assuming he had evil intent couldn't deflect it easily but had to rely on brute force to do so, but why couldn't Goku deflect it out of pure heart? Or is the writer telling us Goku is evil in some ways? Kinda meta right here.

Um, possible plot hole?

In DBZ fight against Vegeta, Goku used Genki dama against him, but Vegeta dodged and it went Gohan's way. Goku said one who has no evil intent can deflect it away, and Gohan did. Now in DB Super, Jiren, assuming he had evil intent couldn't deflect it easily but had to rely on brute force to do so, but why couldn't Goku deflect it out of pure heart? Or is the writer telling us Goku is evil in some ways? Kinda meta right here.

Krillin said in the episode that goku doesn't go super Saiyan when using Genki dama bc malice seeps into his heart

He was blue when jiren pushed it into him

I believe the thing this episode did best was selling the new ability. For the first time since, maybe Saiyan Saga Vegeta's fight, I felt that Goku became a much better fighter. He didn't just get stronger as usual for transformations. His moves were choreographed in a much different way than what we're used to. He's smoother, faster, and way more intimidating.

I hope they can keep on highlighting the different fighting style of this form even in the lesser episode. Would be such a shame to see it becoming just another power up down the line.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Just finished the special. And I vote to have episode 109 retitled as "Goku Gets His Shit Pushed In", Nothing sweeter than watching Jiren forcing Goku to bow down to him!!!!

Wouldn't go that far for me personally due to iconic nostalgia, and having much more value narratively speaking. Looked cool af though, definitely #3 for me.

SS1 Goku
SS2 Gohan
SS3 Goku
UI Goku

I wouldn't know how to order those. SS1 Vegeta would be 5 on that list though.

I would place the original SSJ and Gohan's SSJ2 a bit higher than this.

Wouldn't go that far for me personally due to iconic nostalgia, and having much more value narratively speaking. Looked cool af though, definitely #3 for me.
Fair enough. I'm not much for nostalgia. This was just cool as heck, cooler than either of those transformations.

Might not have been as narrative driven but it was just fucking cool.

Of course this is just how I feel though.

HeroR

Goku
does not deserve to beat Jiren not now, especially when this seems to be a regular staple of the series where a character gets a power boost and overcomes the enemy. I like that they didn't go that route and had Jiren power through Goku instead.

A power boost having defeated a single enemy in Super.

"or wishin' to meet someone stronger than I've ever met before". Wonder whether this was a hint at Goku's wish, and potentially the next Arc or villain.

Man, what an AMAZING episode!

However, I still don't quite understand what Goku did to power up as he clearly didn't absorb the Genkidama. What was it then?

My understanding is that the Sprit Bomb clash, in Blue Kaio Ken x 20, made Goku push himself beyond his limit, and dig deeper into his powers than ever before. In exhausting everything he has, he's unconsciously discovered Mastery of Self Movement/Ultra Instinct.

Ultra instinct seems to be more of a technique with visual change (like Kaio Ken) than a new form. My personal take is that Jiren can use it too, but it's meant to be used in micro-spurts and not consistently - hence Goku's immense heat release and burnout.

He was spent of Ki, but was able to reabsorb some from the Genki Dama, partially recovering his key and enabling him to use Ultra-instinct. It's probably not contingent on Genkidama ki.

A-V-B

Now I'm waiting for
Goku to make another spirit bomb, and because no one could defeat Jiren between Goku's genki damas, everyone from every other universe gives him their energy, and Goku just fucking eats the thing like a massive sandwich. Like finally his incredible lust for food saves reality's bacon.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Why don't Goku just transform back to normal form to deflect? o_O
He wasn't trying to deflect, he was trying to hit Jiren with it. He couldn't do that in normal form because Jiren was strong. In the end it just exploded and Goku was powerless and exhausted to do anything

LotusHD

Banned
SS1 Goku
SS2 Gohan
SS3 Goku
UI Goku

I wouldn't know how to order those. SS1 Vegeta would be 5 on that list though.

UI easily topped SSJ3 for me. Was also just as random as UI was, so makes it even easier to say UI was more impressive.

Fair enough. I'm not much for nostalgia. This was just cool as heck, cooler than either of those transformations.

Might not have been as narrative driven but it was just fucking cool.

Of course this is just how I feel though.

Fair enough. Normally I ain't that pressed over nostalgia, but SSJ and SSJ2 are on another level in that regard, so yea lol

For me it's:

SSJ2 Gohan
UI Goku
SSJ Goku

Super really needed a classic desperate transformation moment like this. SSG was a boring out of nowhere ritual, SSB was achieved off-screen, SSBxKK was also achieved off-screen. This was just super satisfying.

Why don't Goku just transform back to normal form to deflect? o_O

Probably not strong enough in that form. Goku went blue plus 20x Kaio Ken trying to push back against Jiren, and it wasnt enough.

Also dont think we saw anything close to Jiren's full power, even after Goku gained his new form.

I don't think ultra instinct is all there is to this form. Goku couldn't do shit to jiren as ssbkk x20, but he managed to damage him in the new form, even if only a little bit. He has to be stronger than before.

I loved how this episode made Goku look really powerless for many moments before the UI transformation. The last time I felt he was so powerless was against Frieza perfect form in DBZ.

Dark_castle

He wasn't trying to deflect, he was trying to hit Jiren with it. He couldn't do that in normal form because Jiren was strong.

From a spectator view, it looked more like Jiren was overpowering Goku and Goku is at risk of death than a beam struggle where Goku had a chance in winning. Well, I suppose it can be explained that it's all or nothing for Goku to win the beam struggle.

Jaeger

Ultra Instinct "Omen" (身勝手の極意“兆) is what the Dokkan Battle cards are calling this form. Same for the HG figure.

And as hinted at earlier, we are going to see a new fighter soo
n.

Tookay

That was a fucking dope series of episodes (though 109 was slightly better from an animation and pacing standpoint).

Bravo Super.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
i just caught the episode ('cause I had a dentist appointment during the actual episode)

holy shit that was probably the best Dragon Ball Super's ever been.

SSJ for the first time is still probably the best. All the hype going into it, all the desperate struggles, then Krillin dying to make Goku snap. SSJ2 Gohan might be the only other scene where there's an argument though.
Can someone make me a small avatar picture of goku charging here, right when his eyes widen? Thanks in advance.
Maybe you should wait a while, no?

Top Bottom