• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

V_Arnold

My body could not have taken one more episode of pure hype.

This is the first time I was trembling with HYPE from the moment Goku came back with the new transformation.

11/10,#omgwtf-tier

A-V-B

My body could not have taken one more episode of pure hype.

This is the first time I was trembling with HYPE from the moment Goku came back with the new transformation.

11/10,#omgwtf-tier

Great execution of the episode from a technical perspective. I wouldn't say it's vastly inferior emotionally compared to SSJ1 and SSJ2 -- those were just more immediate, I suppose. But to have the same levels of insane hype is a testament to how well made the special was.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
Ehm, E109 really bothered me.

Frost gets erased (rightfully so) by trying to intervene from outside, but Universe 7 fighters, who are out of the tournament, are not punished for giving energy for the Spirit-Bomb??

Did I miss a rule, or is that just lazy writing.. .

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
so Saiyans can absorb energy now? dats cool i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwe0X2rj3E

Trunks showed him the way.

Frost gets erased (rightfully so) by trying to intervene from outside, but Universe 7 fighters, who are out of the tournament, are not punished for giving energy for the Spirit-Bomb??

Law of Zeno applied. It was cool looking, so it's ok.

A-V-B

Still up to Goku to win that fight, I think. Whereas someone directly intervening can get in a cheap shot and possibly knock out an opponent?

AdanVC

True. The fact that Krillin, Tien and Roshi contributed with their energy should not be allowed since they are not fighting anymore.

Syntsui

Rules are only applied when the plot demands it. It's not lazy writing, it's just a who gives a fuck anymore writing.

Goku was flying ffs.

Tsunamo

109 was absolutely fantastic. The music inserts, the buildup, getting ribrianne out of the way quick and getting the main fight, the buildup between forms with Goku vs Jiren, then bringing the spirit bomb as a final trump card. Absolutely amazing 100% my favorite episode of Super hands down. It's amazing they got that into 20 minutes and it cameout so perfect.

110 was pretty great too and i'm glad we got a explaination on Gokus new form, but I wish there was a bit less time spent on the gods pondering what it was and more spent on the fight between Goku and Jiren. It was still absolutely fantastic though. What a special.

Also lol at Vegeta refusing to give energy to Goku. I like that he didn't do it like in Broly where he reluctantly gives in, even if it's a dickmove.

That special definitely lived up to the hype. Far and away the best episodes of Super and the first time Super has made me feel as I did watching DBZ as a teen (though Goku vs. Gohan will always be great for different reasons). I already knew from the promos but seeing it in action, definitely the coolest looking form in all of DB. Alas, he won't have that cool aura in the future since it was clearly based on the Spirit Bomb energy. There's still the possibility of him obtaining a new aura and even hair color when accessing UI off of his own energy going forward but all that matters is showing a cue that it's in effect and they can do that simply with the silver eyes though they can do the stiffened black hair with it even if there isn't unique aura. I'm just glad that it's more than a one shot form/skill after all and this will open all new avenues in his training with Whis now. Hell, Beerus can be his training partner rather than Vegeta now ;p Vegeta going to try like hell to achieve UI after seeing this, don't think he ever really appreciated what Whis was trying to convey about it in the past.

First time I really want to rewatch the episodes for Super and it's nice that something really interesting will happen in the next episode. Hit obviously can't hang from a power prospective but his ability is a gimmick so he'll be able to frustrate Jiren a bit and buy Goku the time he needs. It's just hard to say what all will happen given what we know from spoilers of later episodes and also that it's hard to imagine Jiren going out this soon. Who the hell would pose a threat if he did? Golden Frieza would handle Toppo no problem, I bet even Vegeta could beat him. Gohan verse Toppo would be the most interesting because I suspect they are around equal in power and it'd be interesting to see who is the stronger. I can only assume Jiren will defeat Hit or make him retreat but after the whole ordeal, perhaps the Universe 11 GoD will tell Jiren to retreat and rest as Goku seems to be recovering. Don't know how else we'd have a situation where Jiren doesn't get eliminated yet and can be preserved for the end so other weaker fighters can be bounced first.

I also want to note that it's impressive how quickly Goku was adjusting to the new technique and the speed and power that came with it. He was just starting to push Jiren's shit in when he ran out of energy. No doubt what so ever he was going to defeat Jiren if his energy didn't fizzle out (or I should say the Genki energy). The question is if Goku can really access it and manage the energy level so soon, I figured that'd be where his training leads to now but he might have to do it right away as there aren't any other likely ways for Jiren to be defeated unless he gets himself disqualified. Goku could always work on perfecting the technique as even Beerus hasn't done so, even if he figures out how to sustain it better in this tournament. It will definitely be interesting observing how Goku handles this going forward :) Also, how the remainder of the tournament will be handled. We should get a proper Gohan and Vegeta one on one fight respectively at some point. Piccolo likely could get a proper fight himself against the nameks of Universe 6 but could always end up sacrificing himself to save Gohan yet again. Hopefully the former happens. It will be interesting to see who Frieza's premier fight will be against as well.

Hidden figure is Hit without his jacket.

89b4711b106c318a241a451c907c2025.png

Skeeter49

I'd argue there's a difference between directly attacking someone from the stands and giving someone energy for an attack.

Syntsui

Also, Belmond totally got beaten to a pulp by Jiren at some point which probably made him tired of being a GoD so he started training Toppo to be the next one.

I really want to see their relation explored further but this is Dragon Ball and they will probably be forever gone next arc.

I'm a little disappointed that the funny prediction of the Zenos giving up their energy didn't happen. Goku should have phrased it "Everyone, raise your hands and grant me your energy". The Zenos would never resist raising their hands :p I am a little surprised the contestants that were eliminated were allowed to lend their energy, that's definitely participation any way you slice it. I guess the priest was too distracted watching the spirit bomb grow to notice who was actually contributing to it. That or he decided to let it slide to see how powerful it could get and how it worked.

Also, Goku effortlessly dodging Toppo's attacks while walking towards Jiren was bad ass. UI was so damn cool.

Slaythe

Hidden figure is Hit without his jacket.

89b4711b106c318a241a451c907c2025.png

Those hips though.

True. The fact that Krillin, Tien and Roshi contributed with their energy should not be allowed since they are not fighting anymore.

Didn't seem to be a problem when Brianne's friends did it, so it made sense Genkidama was allowed. Probably made literally no difference too lmao.

I like that they mentioned it was strong enough to beat Jiren. If it had landed :p .

A-V-B

I'm a little disappointed that the funny prediction of the Zenos giving up their energy didn't happen. Goku should have phrased it "Everyone, raise your hands and grant me your energy". The Zenos would never resist raising their hands :p I am a little surprised the contestants that were eliminated were allowed to lend their energy, that's definitely participation any way you slice it. I guess the priest was too distracted watching the spirit bomb grow to notice who was actually contributing to it. That or he decided to let it slide to see how powerful it could get and how it worked.

Also, Goku effortlessly dodging Toppo's attacks while walking towards Jiren was bad ass. UI was so damn cool.

Goku dodging them shots like Saitama

CryptiK

Episode was great. Shame to see Tate didnt get corrected enough, especially in the just transformed state at times it looks sub par, especially for a special.

Goku dodging them shots like Saitama

I finally got around to watching OPM just a month or so ago, you're right haha About as few of fucks given as Saitama too. I think seeing Goku look and fight so serious was half of the appeal in and of itself. Maybe there is logic to the nonsense of having Goku goof off so much in fights. We don't take for granted when he's dead serious haha

Skeeter49

lol @ the summary for episode 112

The Tournament of Power is nearing its end. Though Cabba is fighting for the sake of Universe 6, he is having a tough battle against the super highspeed tackles of Universe 4's Monna. Just as he thinks he's done for, amazingly enough Vegeta saves him. Though Vegeta rouses Cabba by telling him to "fight to be MVP", Freeza is not amused...

so Frieza's going to off Cabba in like... 5 seconds flat
My theory is
Frieza shoots Cabba in the back where he channels SSJ. Meaning he can never go SSJ again, and this enrages Vegeta

CazTGG

When you've lost the moral high ground to Frieza...yeah, not a good look, Vegeta. Maybe this'll be a plot point in later episodes i.e. those who lent their energy will be more easily taken out (we'll ignore the androids whole "infinite energy" thing) while Vegeta lasts until the end but otherwise it's out of character for Vegeta who knows Jiren is out of his league (even if he won't admit it).

The special was good (loved the music), even if did continue to showcase Jiren's lack of character outside of the noble-ish decision to let Goku use the Spirit Bomb. The fight was one of the best in this arc, even if that whole "what happened to Goku" portion was a slightly annoying pause before said fight resumed. We get it, Jiren is maximum super ultra supremely powerful and Goku wasn't at his level before, there's no need to pad out the episode by pretending Goku is dead.

man.... that fight while he was transformed was way less interestin than the fight in 109 when in was in blue form....

the choregraphy was way better in 109.... i'm a bit disappointed by what i saw really, he did nothing substential, we just saw some speed punch/kick with repeated animation, nothing really unique! Except for the last seconds with the last punch, the animation wasn't that great either compared to 109

hope he'll go back to that form and do something better!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So this isnt necessarily a new form that Goku will be using forever now.
Just some temporarily shit for now.

P.S Jiren losing a 1 v 1 will be utter shit at this point.

Slaythe

They absolutely fucked up the transformed fight.

When the song starts you're like "wow this is gonna be insane..."

And no.

They have characters talking and talking and some brief cuts of Goku vs Jiren interrupted by the "far away bubbles" shot.

Sick camera angles for 2 seconds didn't make up for it IMO. Goku dodging Justice Flash also was not executed well IMO.

Tate's bits were also some of the worse he's done and didn't mesh well at all with the other bits.

109's battle was on another level.

Tsunamo

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thought 110 was a bit subpar compared to 109's battle.
Still was enjoyable though.
Also that HOMAGE to Netero KAICHO was amazing.
Yeah I got mad Netero vibes there with Gokus new form.
When you've lost the moral high ground to Frieza...yeah, not a good look, Vegeta. Maybe this'll be a plot point in later episodes i.e. those who lent their energy will be more easily taken out (we'll ignore the androids whole "infinite energy" thing) while Vegeta lasts until the end but otherwise it's out of character for Vegeta who knows Jiren is out of his league (even if he won't admit it).
Yeah I think it'll come into play later and it does end up draining them a bit.

there needed to be a much longer exteneded fight sequence in 110, constantly cutting away when the vocals stated really took away from it.

Jiren is too OP, jesus fuck he did not want to make Goku look strong.

I'll be signing Hit's death certificate.

man.... that fight while he was transformed was way less interestin than the fight in 109 when in was in blue form....

the choregraphy was way better in 109.... i'm a bit disappointed by what i saw really, he did nothing substential, we just saw some speed punch/kick with repeated animation, nothing really unique! Except for the last seconds with the last punch, the animation wasn't that great either compared to 109

hope he'll go back to that form and do something better!
The fight in 110 was to exhibit the new plateau Goku reached in speed, agility, evasion, and body control. He was learning on the fly, you can't reasonably expect him to pull off unique choreography when he's just learning to use this power. If you remember how sloppy he was fighting Beerus as a SSJ God the first time, this fight was pretty impressive on his part. We should be able to expect more variation in future fights where he's accessing UI after learning to control it better. Just remember that even Beerus hasn't mastered it yet so there's plenty of room for growth. What's important is that Goku unlocked access to UI which is what Whis wanted Goku and Vegeta to eventually learn since the beginning of their training together. That's why he gushed when Goku achieved this.
So this isnt necessarily a new form that Goku will be using forever now.
Just some temporarily shit for now.

P.S Jiren losing a 1 v 1 will be utter shit at this point.

What? I think you need to watch the episode again. He won't have that special aura as it was due to using Spirit Bomb energy but he absolutely will use UI going forward now. As I said in my response to another poster above, this is what Whis was trying to get Goku and Vegeta to learn. The spirit bomb energy was only important in this circumstance because Goku was tapped out of ki at that point but he can utilize it with his own energy once he's recharged, he's unlocked access to it. He didn't gain access to UI by absorbing the Spirt Bomb, as another poster stated, it pushed him to his absolute limits trying to fight back the blast and he surpassed his limits, it was a literal limit breaker for him. The spirit bomb was simply the catalyst and a source for energy since he was wiped, he'll be able to do this on his own in the future and I expect he'll have to in the tournament again to eliminate Jiren later.

The fight in 110 was to exhibit the new plateau Goku reached in speed, agility, evasion, and body control. He was learning on the fly, you can't reasonably expect him to pull off unique choreography when he's just learning to use this power. If you remember how sloppy he was fighting Beerus as a SSJ God the first time, this fight was pretty impressive on his part. We should be able to expect more variation in future fights where he's accessing UI after learning to control it better. Just remember that even Beerus hasn't mastered it yet so there's plenty of room for growth. What's important is that Goku unlocked access to UI which is what Whis wanted Goku and Vegeta to eventually learn since the beginning of their training together. That's why he gushed when Goku achieved this.

What? I think you need to watch the episode again. He won't have that special aura as it was due to using Spirit Bomb energy but he absolutely will use UI going forward now. As I said in my response to another poster above, this is what Whis was trying to get Goku and Vegeta to learn. The spirit bomb energy was only important in this circumstance because Goku was tapped out of ki at that point but he can utilize it with his own energy once he's recharged, he's unlocked access to it. He didn't gain access to UI by absorbing the Spirt Bomb, as another poster stated, it pushed him to his absolute limits trying to fight back the blast and he surpassed his limits, it was a literal limit breaker for him. The spirit bomb was simply the catalyst and a source for energy since he was wiped, he'll be able to do this on his own in the future and I expect he'll have to in the tournament again to eliminate Jiren later.

that's not a valid excuse at all, i'm not talking about a logical view of the thing, just making the fight look interesting... when they fight at high speed with the far away shot, with kicks, punch, parring and so on, there's a lot you can do to make it more interesting than some boring repeated animation, this has nothing to do with "not knowing how to use it yet"

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gokus new form is gonna be him absorbing the Spirit bomb

Called that shit. And it was fucking hype.
Jiren is FUCKING strong, holy shit.

I might cry tears of Joy when the Dub drops and we hear Schemmel screams on this episode.

You guys gotta remember, Goku and Geets do not like to help each other when its 1 vs 1, these are the people who play RPS against Buu after he blew up earth and killed their families, took turns with Frieza and never worked together against Black/Zamasu until they fused. Geets saving Goku from getting cheap shotted from Ribrainnne is about all you can ask from the guy in that situation.(not like his energy would've helped anyway)

that's not a valid excuse at all, i'm not talking about a logical view of the thing, just making the fight look interesting... when they'll fight at high speed with the far away shot, with kicks, punch, parring and so on, there's a lot you can do to make it more interesting than some boring repeated animation, this has nothing to do with "not knowing how to use it yet"
Oh ok, well it was entertaining for me. Namely because of the brief setup from that scene in 109 where Jiren did a multi hit combo so fast on Goku that no one could see the movements. So I interpreted all those rapid fists flying at Goku Jiren using that crazy speed combo and now we were seeing Goku effortlessly dodge it and attack simultaneously which is a huge difference from what we saw in 109. I guess if you weren't hyped by the difference in power and movement enough, it doesn't cut it for an entertaining fight haha I enjoyed myself watching both episodes.
Called that shit. And it was fucking hype.
Jiren is FUCKING strong, holy shit.

I might cry tears of Joy when the Dub drops and we hear Schemmel screams on this episode.
But that's not how he got the form ;p Read the second paragraph of my previous post.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

When they say intervene, its implied to be in direct or physical form (eg throwing items or weapons, firing a ki blast). energy is ok.

lol @ the summary for episode 112

The Tournament of Power is nearing its end. Though Cabba is fighting for the sake of Universe 6, he is having a tough battle against the super highspeed tackles of Universe 4's Monna. Just as he thinks he's done for, amazingly enough Vegeta saves him. Though Vegeta rouses Cabba by telling him to "fight to be MVP", Freeza is not amused...

so Frieza's going to off Cabba in like... 5 seconds flat

Frieza the only one taking this shit seriously.

Jinjo

So it seems the blue heataura was just a remnant of the Spirit Bomb energy that allowed Goku to maintain the Ultra-Instinct "form"?

I guess the next step is Goku learning to combine Ultra Instinct with Blue (and Kaioken). Silver-eyed Super Saiyan Blue here we come!

Top Bottom