• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

darthvisas

Neo Member
SSJ was hinted as soon as Goku step foot on Namek and destroyed 2 members of the Genyu squad right? Yeah, the setup was well done and it must be said that it's much easier to pull it off when it's the first time duh! ;) UI came out of nowhere since it was never hinted that a new form was needed to power up further. Even so, people saw the form a couple of weeks ago and they are still hyped so DB super delivered.
If i remember correct a body reacting on its own was hinted by Whis i believe in either resurrection F saga or in Future Trunks saga training montage. Also the manga
showed someone possessing that ability too but he didnt master it either
, but you are correct a form was never implied, so i predict
this form wont stay after the tournament only the ability to react and we gonna probably see a silver eyed blue form, or a goku strugling to reach that form again since this time he absorbed power from the spirit bomb

Genryu

Banned
Someone make that friendship with Vegeta ended now Frieza is my best friend

7IqhgKb.jpg

sturmdogg

It's been a couple of hours after the special and I still can't get over Whis getting excited / fanboying / geeking out over Goku's Ultra Instinct mode.

Speaking of which, Goku's UI reminded me of Frieza's Golden Form the first time he used it. He used it against Jiren even though he wasn't used to it and didn't know how to control it properly, hence burning out early.

Whis kept mentioning the heat. Wonder if it's supposed to mean something.

Also, does this mean Frieza will be the latest DB bad guy to be turned to a good guy?

sirap

My god Goku emerging in his new form has got to be the hypest shit I've seen in anime in a long time. Special had a lot of flaws but everything about that moment was ON POINT

I think it's more that he's used to this shit from Goku at this point, so now he just goes straight to the questions.
I was kinda surprised he didnt have a monologue about how kakarot surpassed him again lmao.

Well of course he did he thought he was about to be erased.
yeah but it was refreshing to see.

Frieza continues to be interesting about his plans in this tournament and future arcs.

NeonZ

I mean, the only time it ever worked is in the movies and the end of the Buu saga.

That whole speech was heavily inspired by the movies. The comment about being unable to use the Genki Dama as a SSJ is also referencing something only stated in the movies.

Volta

Neo Member
UI came out of nowhere since it was never hinted that a new form was needed to power up further.

Not exactly. When Whis was training Goku/Vegeta, Whis mentioned how Goku needed to learn how to make different parts of his body move independently from his mind(Or something along those lines), he went on to mention that not even Beerus had mastered that technique yet. You could even make the argument that UI was hinted at long before it was really thought to be a new form at all.

I'm not sure if you can call it a friendship when Freiza is clearly plotting.

Yes, but his plotting is against (at least some of) the angels and Zenos. He probably wants goku on his side for that being one of the two strongest mortals, apparently.

If this whole thing doesn't end up with the next arc being the mortals rebelling against the unfair gods, who quite frankly don't do much at all to help mortals, this will all have been a massive waste.

RocknRola

Holy shit that was so hype! 9/10 for both episodes!

The music, the animation, the sheer hype of it all, amazing! And it looks like next week won't slow down either with Hit vs Jiren! Amazing!! This is definitely what Super needs more of!!

---

Edit: So question. What IS Jiren? Dude is basically a GoD in all but name from what was implied and a damn strong one at that. Hope they offer us a bit more backstory on him either in the other media (manga, games, whatever) or just later on (after the tournament).

I don't think enough credit is being given to the music from these episodes. Really helped set the mood for every interaction of Jiren and Goku. Incredible.

Volta

Neo Member
If this whole thing doesn't end up with the next arc being the mortals rebelling against the unfair gods, who quite frankly don't do much at all to help mortals, this will all have been a massive waste.

While I would hope the next arc would be something similar to that, I don't entirely agree. This whole ToP arc has created so many opportunities and openings for future arcs. You have the whole Freeza thing, the U6 Saiyans, Pride Troopers, and not to mention the dozens of other characters that could potentially be important in future arcs. The fact that we could see entire arcs taking place in other universes is also interesting because we can actually build real tension without knowing everything's going to be okay because of the End of Z

But I do agree that this tournament arc needs to transition itself into another arc, though. That's the thing with Super that I probably dislike the most; how all of the arcs just seem so disconnected, if that makes sense.

NZerker12

OMFG!!

Those episodes were absolute hype.

The art style, animations the music, my God the music it was all on point.

When Goku emerged from the light and started fighting, I felt like a little kid again.

Awesome episodes.

BreakAtmo

Not exactly. When Whis was training Goku/Vegeta, Whis mentioned how Goku needed to learn how to make different parts of his body move independently from his mind(Or something along those lines), he went on to mention that not even Beerus had mastered that technique yet. You could even make the argument that UI was hinted at long before it was really thought to be a new form at all.

Yeah, the wiki is now saying exactly this, that Goku's new 'form' is fundamentally just him actually using what we've known about since Resurrection F. So it seems to be less a form and more a state - one that Whis, and probably other angels, are in permanently.

M.D

Awesome!

I'm not sure if you can call it a friendship when Freiza is clearly plotting.

He's a changed man.

Frieza has nothing but the best intentions.

See? He gets it

I don't think enough credit is being given to the music from these episodes. Really helped set the mood for every interaction of Jiren and Goku. Incredible.

I was gonna say the music was just perfect. Gave me chills.

This is definitely what Super needs more of!!

You're right.

Which is why it's so infuriating that they wrote themselves in to a corner again. They make it explicit that there are only rumours of one person in all the universes that can rival a god of destruction. They introduce 10 other universes and then immediately have goku fight the absolute strongest, and while he didn't win, how are we going to take any future fight seriously? It's the angels and Zenos or bust for we enemies, now.

TrueBlue

You're right.

Which is why it's so infuriating that they wrote themselves in to a corner again. They make it explicit that there are only rumours of one person in all the universes that can rival a god of destruction. They introduce 10 other universes and then immediately have goku fight the absolute strongest, and while he didn't win, how are we going to take any future fight seriously? It's the angels and Zenos or bust for we enemies, now.

I was under the impression that the rumors were limited to the participating universes. You raise a good point if that is not the case.

I was under the impression that the rumors were limited to the participating universes. You raise a good point if that is not the case.

I mean... if the other universes had a bunch of mortals like it, it would be a very odd thing to have as a rumour among the gods and angels if it was a fairly common thing to happen elsewhere.

Genryu

Banned
I mean... if the other universes had a bunch of mortals like it, it would be a very odd thing to have as a rumour among the gods and angels if it was a fairly common thing to happen elsewhere.

I think the reason why it seems to be a pretty well known rumor is because Belmod started spreading the rumor.

He seems REALLY invested in everyone knowing how strong Jiren is.

Kneefoil

I will agree that there were times when the music was extremely well thought out, but there were also two or three times across the two episodes where I found the music selection to be very poor.

M.D

I thought it would have been pretty funny if everyone pulled out special glasses like the ones for the eclipse during the Spirit Bomb struggle and the eventual explosion

109 was much much much better than 110, enjoyed that.

1) That Sailor Scout got slapped away by Goku and that was hilarious, what an annoying joke character she ended up being

2) The Jiren vs Goku fight was very good, has Goku trying to do everything he could and he just tanked everything Goku had to give

3) When Goku got selfish body movements form, the animators did not know how to make the fight cool at all. So it was just panning to the gods, all looking shook and talking about I don't know what.

4) Whis getting hyped at the new form was fun to see, reminded me of the episode where he stepped in shit and was trying to teach Vegeta/Goku about it.

5) Vegeta bitched out like a lil' bitch when it came to helping the spirit bomb, but he kept an eye on Sailor Moon who would have fucked Goku anyway. Feel that is a upcoming plot thuogh, Vegeta having retained his energy will probably allow him to get clowned by Jiren or some shit for Goku to then give it another go.

6) Gohan is useless, I recall some members here saying that because the ending credits had Goku and Gohan together, the latter would do something. He's still total and utter shit, is this motherfucker gonna do anything of note? The only kill he has in Dragonball so far is Videl's personality.

7) I like Jiren, hope he takes out penis head who has the most bullshit powerup in Dragonball history which is saying something.

Kneefoil

Maybe the GoD's in non-participating universes are even stronger? If no ordinary person has fought a GoD other than the one from their own universe, there could still be plenty of extraordinarily strong normies in the universes that are not taking part in the tournament.

Volta

Neo Member
109 was much much much better than 110, enjoyed that.

6) Gohan is useless, I recall some members here saying that because the ending credits had Goku and Gohan together, the latter would do something. He's still total and utter shit, is this motherfucker gonna do anything of note? The only kill he has in Dragonball so far is Videl's personality.

Not really sure why this is a criticism of this specific episode(unless it isn't) considering basically everyone was "useless" except maybe Vegeta. Gohan without any hesitation was the first one to even throw his hands up to lend Goku power, too.

so, what was the song title during which goku was fighting jiren in his selfish body movement form? also, would love a link to this op instrumental that played during the spirit bomb gathering..

Eh, I don't think they're too constrained by it. Plenty of creative avenues the writers could take. As suggested in 109, Goku might wish to meet someone stronger. There are 4 Universes who still haven't participated, which may have some incredible fighters. Might see some ramifications from the 6 long-thought destroyed universes, like survivors. Or even Buu or Cell like anomalies spawning from nothing.

After this tournament, the whole Dragon Ball multiverse is going to be open for some cool narrative opportunities. Plenty of potential world and universe-ender threats - mortal or God. And if Gods, more reason for Goku and company to learn Destruction Energy.

RocknRola

You're right.

Simple, fight the GoDs :v

When those die/lose simply make more OR go full fanfiction mode and bring the rest of Dabura's family from all Universes. Or something. I dunno man :p

That said, there are a couple of topics which would be interesting to approach (even if not as high stakes as this). U6 Saiyans (Planet Sadala in particualr), the Justice Bros from Universe 11, the GoDs in general (how they got where they are, what cool fights between them and/or against other stronger enemies they had to face, etc) the 4 remaining Universes (especially during these two episodes the implication was that "their" mortals are above the level of the ones in the tournament, at least that's what I got from it during their various reactions), the deleted Universes (including all the good and bad guys in them), etc.

I do agree that they're making it hard to have a constant progression of difficulty/high stakes like in Z though.

I-hate-u

What's the name of the song that started playing when Goku Ultra Instinct started fighting Jiren?

Sounds like something from hokuto no ken.

Maan why did they completely shit on Vegeta's character like that and regress all of his character development? Can't wait till he gets eliminated.

Beerus and Freeza care for Goku more than freaking Vegeta

Protome

You're right.

My impression was the the higher ranked Universes also had much stronger GoDs. A mortal from their universes wouldn't need to be able to rival their GoD to be stronger than everyone in the tournament.

Maan why did they completely shit on Vegeta's character like that and regress all of his character development? Can't wait till he gets eliminated.

Beerus and Freeza care for Goku more than freaking Vegeta

Geets was the only one thinking sensibly. Using the Spirit Bomb was a stupid idea, it was an all or nothing attack at what was basically the start of a fight. They could have even tried fusing before that!

And then it backfired, Goku made no real headway with Jiren even after getting a power up and now he's going to nap for a couple of episodes.

Top Bottom