• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 |OT| Just in Time for Super

Nordicus

Gif for every lag hit win

tumblr_o66dlkC2pv1vs3ai6o1_500.gif

Gotta admit I think it's wearing thin already. Story was better than XV1 in some areas, but any retread ground from XV1 felt like it had less effort put into this time which kinda sucks. It still has the same problem though of getting to the higher level content and running into cheap AI that can seemingly counter everything. It's killing my drive to actually finish the PQ's since this time you can't even SSJ spam through it anymore. Never thought I'd miss that, but I didn't plan on enemies perfect countering 5 z-vanishes in a row either.

Hit's ult is really cool but seems really hard to hit, and for that amount of damage...you're much better off chucking a rainbow at some fucker or using turles' ult instead for all the trouble you have to go through to get a guaranteed hit.

Also it seems 10 arrows for ki/stamina is a huge chunk, since it equals a full bar; replaced my broly(-5stm) gloves for beerus(+5stm) gloves and I gained an entire bar of stamina, while only losing a tiny bit of basic attack (if the chart is accurate).

This means that bardock/beerus gear (and others like it) are probably the best choices in relation to how stats are weighted, since they boost both ki and stamina with 5 arrows.

I'm really glad the launch wig still changes colour, was sad to see yajirobi's wig not changing into ssj colours, kid chi chi's helmet doesn't change anymore either.

Nordicus

Quick question before i buy this game. Can my custom character learn Janemba's attacks?
Yup

How much has the combat been improved? I found the combat in the first game to be really clunky.
If you are hoping for completely new combat system you'll be disappointed, but Xenoverse 2 combat is a proper 2.0 of what Xenoverse 1 already had. Like, it's Budokai 1 -> Budokai 2 sort of improvement if not better. Combo system is more freeform with more possible links, you got more movement options both defensive and offensive, and you have stamina break to really capitalize on melee advantage, since it renders all of opponents' proper defensive options unusable for a few seconds, if you can connect with the slow, decently blockable/dodgeable hit.

If you are hoping for completely new combat system you'll be disappointed, but Xenoverse 2 combat is a proper 2.0 of what Xenoverse 1 already had. Like, it's Budokai 1 -> Budokai 2 sort of improvement if not better. Combo system is more freeform with more possible links, you got more movement options both defensive and offensive, and you have stamina break to really capitalize on melee advantage, since it renders all of opponents' proper defensive options unusable for a few seconds, if you can connect with the slow, decently blockable/dodgeable hit.

Ok that sounds good. Thanks.

Yeah the story was disappointing, and some of the PQs are too in terms of new content. The additional content is alright, but the base game is pretty great so it's hard to say I'm fully disappointed with the package. Luckily I got it as a gift from a friend, but I don't think I would have been happy paying full price for this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Party plus kame house is so much faster on load times. It's really lame only the host gets clear credit though. Hope that gets changed.

Also lol Dave at "do you have a frieza fetish?" I was confused at first like huh I'm playing a female majin..... OHHHH THE PQs

McNum

Story mode complete! Spoilers in this post, obviously.

XV2 hero vs XV1 hero? I was hoping they'd do that and they DID! Sadly, no mission where you teamed up with your original hero. They really should have had him/her join in for the final battle. They had more right to be there than Goku did... except Goku apparently has an ironclad contract giving him rights to interfere with any and all final bosses in a Dragonball game. A team of you, the Toki Toki City Hero, and Goku would have be so awesome for the final battle.

So, for Xenoverse 3, can I get a team of me, myself, and I for the final boss? Goku can tag along if he needs to.

I'm still missing some mentors, though. I miss having Beerus comment on my results and I wouldn't mind seeing if Whis has anything to teach. What do I need to do to get them to show up and where would they be when they do? Do I need to get all five distorted eggs?

I'd also like to find some good big ball of hurt Ultimates. Spirit Bomb or similar. I had a Time Patroller hurl one of those at me, it took a lot of Stamina to block. Like, all of it.

Revven

Quick question before i buy this game. Can my custom character learn Janemba's attacks?

I saw one of his supers can be obtained from a PQ so I assume the rest of his are, I just haven't gotten to the PQs that have them yet. So, in other words, yes.

Durden77

So uh spoilers?
The time scrolls are freaking out and they said check outside in Conton City it's playing intense music but nothing seems out of place. Is shit supposed to be happening?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The parallel quests not unlocking stuff in online mode is stupid. They're also way harder (and more boring/grindy) than the main game.

How many little Buus must I make to get an egg? There's five and Buu is still hungry.

McNum

Oh deary me... I am blind. I completely missed that Beerus had been on the map for a while now.

God of Destruction's Wrath acquired! Did you know that it comboes after a ground spike? That's just plain old ugly. A full light attack chain on my female Saiyan to build Ki for it, and pew. No more Stamina for you!

Next question... then what? I'm in the air, they're face down on the ground in the slow Stamina Break but I don't think I can continue the combo from there. Do female Saiyans have a combo that ends with a pursuit to the ground? Or can I do that manually after firing the beam?

What's a good way to combo into a stamina break with a male Saiyan? I've been using T>S>T>Stamina Break, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Oh deary me... I am blind. I completely missed that Beerus had been on the map for a while now.

God of Destruction's Wrath acquired! Did you know that it comboes after a ground spike? That's just plain old ugly. A full light attack chain on my female Saiyan to build Ki for it, and pew. No more Stamina for you!

Next question... then what? I'm in the air, they're face down on the ground in the slow Stamina Break but I don't think I can continue the combo from there. Do female Saiyans have a combo that ends with a pursuit to the ground? Or can I do that manually after firing the beam?

You can only pursue if you end the combo with a ki blast canceled into forward dash.

GoD's wrath has quite a bit of startup and recovery, but if you could manage to land gigantic omega after it, you would be able to continue the combo.

Spenny

Got the game yesterday. It's good but very iterative. I'm on XBOX one if anyone wants to play. Looking to do some PQ or maybe to get my ass kicked at VS.

Lvl 61 Frieza race guy

Gamertag: Project HYDE

Durden77

Man, Dragon Balls seem harder to farm this time around. Fought around 12 Time Patrollers and only got 1. And the fights are tough now too.

Also anyone know of giant Namekian's attacks are considered supers? Or basic attacks?

Masako Nozawa is incredible

She is a legend and does fit perfectly for goku (and others like black, Goten, etc.)

The english dub and most of the other dubs are "bad / wrong" in my opinion. Not because they are doing a bad job, but because they just do not fit at all for the personality of goku. Feels like a totally different character in english, for example.
I grew up with the German voice, which is fine. They were really into it and have done great jobs. But after listening to the Japanese voices, there was no way back to german. Some anime like dragon ball, are a special case in my opinion. The voices are very over the top and "special", which is something not well recreated when dubbed.

Durden77

Masako Nozawa is incredible, just listen to her chilling, haughty voice for Black and then compare it to Schemmel's ridiculous gruff nonsense.

I really like her voice as Black. She fits Black better than Goku. I don't know if Sean's will work as well.

I like the dub better but watching Super so frequently has gotten me to like some of the Japanese VAs.

TreIII

Masako Nozawa is incredible, just listen to her chilling, haughty voice for Black and then compare it to Schemmel's ridiculous gruff nonsense.

As much as I prefer Nozawa and the JP vocals overall, I'm willing to give Schemmel the benefit of the doubt here.

Unless he or the English dub vocal director(s) for Xenoverse 2 had been diligent Super watchers (or had access to any such material about the character beforehand), they likely had no idea of what to make of this "early bird cameo" for Western audiences and how he should be portrayed. They just likely went with what basics they may have had access to at the time of recording, and went with something like "Hey, Sean, just do some type of edgy, grimdark take on Goku!" or whatever.

I'd like to hope that by the time the Super dub gets underway in earnest, Schmemel, Sabat and the dubbing crew would have had more time to review how Black is "supposed to be" and take that all into account for the full-fledged performance within the series itself.

A female voicing a male kid is fine. A lady voicing a grown man is too weird for me. Especially when other male voices in the show sound deep. I see why they've kept it up but coming from a Spanish and an English dub where goku and the other men sound like male voices it's hard to watch it without it bothering me

Laiza

Well, I finished the story, and I have to say a few things:

Power levels are bullshit.
They were kinda BS in XV1 as well, but at least they had the handwavey explanation that the time patroller was the direct result of a wish for a strong warrior, so it was at least somewhat believable that they could be a Frieza-tier mutant with unlimited potential.
But repeating that level of power, and outright surpassing it, with a SECOND time patroller? Not only that, but upping the ante by introducing a villain powerup that involves an entire UNIVERSE worth of energy?! Yeah, nah, my suspension of disbelief is thoroughly snapped in two at that point.
It's particularly funny when you're playing an Earthling (among whom, I should remind you, the strongest known individual in canon is friggin' Krillin) and stomping around with god-level enemies without skipping a beat. Y'know, I just... I just want some kind of explanation for this stuff. Something to help me reason as to why their power levels are so ridiculously obscene.
Power levels aside, I did enjoy the story for what it is. Felt a bit short, though. I'm hoping that XV3 goes all-out with the crazy what-if scenarios. We got some of that with the movie villains jumping into timelines they didn't belong in, but I'd love to see them do even more crazy alt-timeline scenarios that involve fundamental changes to events (like, say, Raditz surviving his encounter on Earth, or arriving with Nappa and Vegeta instead of alone - things like that).

Series still has so much untapped potential that it's hard not to be excited for what the future holds for the franchise. Hopefully they actually follow through with listening to our feedback, too.

A female voicing a male kid is fine. A lady voicing a grown man is too weird for me. Especially when other male voices in the show sound deep. I see why they've kept it up but coming from a Spanish and an English dub where goku and the other men sound like male voices it's hard to watch it without it bothering me
Yeah, with ya there. Nozowa's performance is fine, but she just feels totally miscast for adult Goku. Schemmel just works far better for someone who is supposed to be an adult male.

Rizzi

They were kinda BS in XV1 as well, but at least they had the handwavey explanation that the time patroller was the direct result of a wish for a strong warrior, so it was at least somewhat believable that they could be a Frieza-tier mutant with unlimited potential.
But repeating that level of power, and outright surpassing it, with a SECOND time patroller? Not only that, but upping the ante by introducing a villain powerup that involves an entire UNIVERSE worth of energy?! Yeah, nah, my suspension of disbelief is thoroughly snapped in two at that point.
It's particularly funny when you're playing an Earthling (among whom, I should remind you, the strongest known individual in canon is friggin' Krillin) and stomping around with god-level enemies without skipping a beat. Y'know, I just... I just want some kind of explanation for this stuff. Something to help me reason as to why their power levels are so ridiculously obscene.
Power levels aside, I did enjoy the story for what it is. Felt a bit short, though. I'm hoping that XV3 goes all-out with the crazy what-if scenarios. We got some of that with the movie villains jumping into timelines they didn't belong in, but I'd love to see them do even more crazy alt-timeline scenarios that involve fundamental changes to events (like, say, Raditz surviving his encounter on Earth, or arriving with Nappa and Vegeta instead of alone - things like that).

Series still has so much untapped potential that it's hard not to be excited for what the future holds for the franchise. Hopefully they actually follow through with listening to our feedback, too.

Yeah, with ya there. Nozowa's performance is fine, but she just feels totally miscast for adult Goku. Schemmel just works far better for someone who is supposed to be an adult male.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hated Japanese Goku at first, but now I can't imagine him as anything else. I like all the JP voices better except for every Nozawa character that isn't Goku or Black.

Ironically, I loved Eric Vale's performance as Trunks in the FUNi dub/Budokai games a kid, but I see people complain about him the most.

TCKaos

Story mode complete! Spoilers in this post, obviously.

XV2 hero vs XV1 hero? I was hoping they'd do that and they DID! Sadly, no mission where you teamed up with your original hero. They really should have had him/her join in for the final battle. They had more right to be there than Goku did... except Goku apparently has an ironclad contract giving him rights to interfere with any and all final bosses in a Dragonball game. A team of you, the Toki Toki City Hero, and Goku would have be so awesome for the final battle.

So, for Xenoverse 3, can I get a team of me, myself, and I for the final boss? Goku can tag along if he needs to.

I'm still missing some mentors, though. I miss having Beerus comment on my results and I wouldn't mind seeing if Whis has anything to teach. What do I need to do to get them to show up and where would they be when they do? Do I need to get all five distorted eggs?

I'd also like to find some good big ball of hurt Ultimates. Spirit Bomb or similar. I had a Time Patroller hurl one of those at me, it took a lot of Stamina to block. Like, all of it.

Interesting take on your spoilered bit, I recreated my character from the first game not knowing that I'd be able to import saved data from the first game. The entire plot of my game starred the Saiyan Turabaga: famed hero of Toki Toki City that teamed up with Goku to defeat the evil demon king Demigra and his duplicate created by Time Patrol Trunks. Trunks figured that, hey, the only guy as useful as Turabaga is Turabaga, so we might as well snag one from somewhere in time.

The duplicate grew resentful at his inability to separate himself from the original - everyone always equating him to Turabaga Prime, and giving him no credit for his own achievements. Everywhere he turned Turabaga Prime was the hero - Trunks's famed partner, sent on the far more dangerous and important missions. He was treated as a trusted confidant as opposed to Time Paradox Turabaga, who was shunned due to his freakish nature as a violation of space-time. He was treated like a child that needed the most rudimentary instruction for any task: "Don't fly here until you get your license! You can't even go Super Saiyan? What's wrong with you? Here, take these basic fighting classes because you're a scrub!"

He took solace in knowing that he wasn't alone, and under the tutelage of Raditz, he became stronger. He came into his own. Eventually, he was able to surpass the original Turabaga himself by achieving the third level of Super Saiyan.

When Turabaga Prime went missing, Time Paradox Turabaga was relieved. He had some breathing room to fight on his own and to solve problems without the constant comparisons to his original self. When Towa takes a move from Trunks's playbook and realizes the only person as strong as Turabaga is Turabaga and brainwashes Turabaga Prime to kill Time Paradox Turabaga. Time Paradox Turabaga, strengthened by sheer resentment of Turabaga Prime, beats the ever loving shit out of Turabaga Prime, freeing him from Towa's mind control. He looks up and the two of them briefly lock eyes, and as he begins to smile his inadvertently condescending smile, he vanishes into a puff of smoke - as he's been erased from history completely.

Trunks comes to accept Time Paradox Turabaga as his partner - not Turabaga Prime - and for a moment his dreams come true as the world accepts him as a hero in his own right and not as some imitation. But, you realize that this creates a massive paradox that could destroy history. So he travels back to the very beginning of his journey - when his Prime self was summoned by Trunks - and he beats the shit out of Towa because it's the right thing to do. What follows is a cathartic smackdown where Time Paradox Turabaga shows that he has become stronger than a god and teams up with Super Saiyan Blue Goku to defeat Final Form Mira, who is capable of destroying all of time and space. A festival is held in his honor, and a statue of Time Paradox Turabaga replaces Turabaga Prime in the city square. He has surpassed himself, and has become his own hero. Shortly afterwards he retires to the shores of Kame House and lives out the rest of his life in peace.

So yeah, I fucked up character creation and my game turned into some weird time-travel Final Fantasy bullshit instead of hokey Dragon Ball action, but I guess that's fine.

J4g3r

How long until you're supposed to get the egg from protecting Guru?

Felt like the missions lapped over for the third time when I was playing last night, still no egg.

f@luS

More than a member.
How long until you're supposed to get the egg from protecting Guru?

Felt like the missions lapped over for the third time when I was playing last night, still no egg.
It's 12 or 15. Check your player data and go to 100% there

J4g3r

It's 12 or 15. Check your player data and go to 100% there

Thanks, will do tonight.

Are there difficulty options in this game? I was terrible at the first one and it didn't take too long before the game became too frustrating for me.

No difficulty options, I found the first game got pretty frustrating towards the end too - More so the later PQs.

This one is no different in that regard.

Playing with people helps though, since that's what a large majority of the game is built upon.

Gotta admit I think it's wearing thin already. Story was better than XV1 in some areas, but any retread ground from XV1 felt like it had less effort put into this time which kinda sucks. It still has the same problem though of getting to the higher level content and running into cheap AI that can seemingly counter everything. It's killing my drive to actually finish the PQ's since this time you can't even SSJ spam through it anymore. Never thought I'd miss that, but I didn't plan on enemies perfect countering 5 z-vanishes in a row either.

I see this complaint a good amount and I believe it just comes down to not being good enough.. I dont mean any of this in a bad or insulting way. I have seen people who havent even mastered the game yet go through all of the high level fights against AI without even using a single healing item. and they only have 40 points at most in their health attribute. And yes they were solo without human or even ai teamates. AI reading inputs is no new thing. Pretty much every fighter on higher difficulty settings has the AI resorting to inhumanly countering you, but xenoverse 2 is in no way unfair or unbeatable. You have to actually use the mechanics in this game and there isnt much cheese resort you can fall back on. Use just guards, mix up combos and expect counters and vanishes so you can counter them or prepare for them better.

When I see people playing this on twitch and complaining it is because they are tilted or not expecting the ai to actually be good so they keep getting caught with their pants down in situations they could have easily turned around if they approached it with a different mindset. The thing I feel that gets most people is that the game starts off way to easy and stays easy for too long. As a result, many fall into the bad habit of just doing the same easy moves to get through then dont know what to do when the ai actually starts fighting back.

You mentioned perfect countering multiple z vanishes, it seems like you have done what I have seen many players do. You attacked, they blocked, you vanished and immediately attacked resulting in another block, then you vanished again and repeated till you were out of stamina. There are more things to do after you vanish than just instantly attack again. You can back step then lunge, back step vanish forward(A+LB on type c controls) then back attack, you can step around the opponent then grab etc. I see so many people auto piloting and just doing the same thing over and over and the ai gets used to it and just counters / punishes all day.

The AI in this game is considerably better than xv1 and much more fun to fight. In xv1 the only way the ai was hard was when the devs implemented artificial difficulty in the form of super armor. The ai in the first game wasnt half decent at fighting so they used super armor to inflate the difficulty of the fight to frustrating levels. In this game the ai is only as difficult as its fighting ability which is much more satisfying when you get good and overcome it. Just keep practicing and learning the layers of mechanics and mix ups and you will become a beast in no time =V

Impulsor

I need advice with my build.

Saiyan, with Goku the legendary super saiyan z soul equipped for boosted attacks while transformed.

Super Saiyan transformation.

Health: 43
Ki: 21
Stamina: 43
Basic Attack: 125
Strike Super: 0
Ki Blast: 100

Should I drop 21 points in ki, and some in health and stamina and go 125 ki blast too?

Am I just wasting the 21 points in ki?

KHlover

Banned

I guess those lines were recorded before the Arc even started (or at the very least they definitely were recorded before Black's identity was revealed, so it would have been pretty hard to nail Black without that info.

I hope DLC Black will have better voice lines.

Impulsor

I need advice with my build.

Saiyan, with Goku the legendary super saiyan z soul equipped for boosted attacks while transformed.

Super Saiyan transformation.

Health: 43
Ki: 21
Stamina: 43

Should I drop 21 points in ki, and some in health and stamina and go 125 ki blast too?

Am I just wasting the 21 points in ki?

So I just learned that every 42 points you get a new bar for ki and stamina, which means that 21 points into ki are compeltely wasted., those would be going towards health, as well as the extra stamina point.

That would mean:

Health: 65
Ki: 0
Stamina: 42

Looking good? Should I drop Health in favor of an extra ki/Stamina bar?

My other two possibilities are as follows:

For an extra bar in both ki + stam:

Health: 23
Ki: 42
Stamina: 42

For two extra stam bars:

Health: 23
Ki: 0
Stamina: 84

This second option would make more sense for my build I think.

Raxious

Man that Expert Mission 15 is no joke :(
Keep getting wrecked by mass AoE. Happened a few times where I'm holding L1 to block with full stamina bar but it doesn't block at all .

I just remade my char because she's obv the most powerful being in existence, and just treated her like an alt timeline version of herself, like all the different trunks' that are running around.
will do the same for xv3

X-Frame

Do the mentor stuff as it comes up which is an easy way to expand your move set and always do the advancement test as soon as they are avaliable. The guru side quest are annoying but do them every time they pop up and get them over with as you have to do it around 10-12 times. Sadly as a melee based character your best ultimate is locked behind a mentor that doesn't show up until the buu saga. As for stats I'm not etirely sure. Get your strike and strike supers up, but don't neglect hp and Stam and and ki to get ssj3. The numbers needed for that should be online somewhere. Don't over invest in ki though

Doing the Elder Kai tutorials definitely is a good start, it teaches you some stuff just playing the game normally wouldn't -- especially knockback (triangle + circle).

So, after the Elder Kai, I'd recommend working on getting skills from the Mentors (if they are available to you right now, which at least Krillin and Yamcha should be iirc). They give you experience and you also get moves from them; Wolf Fang Fist and Orin Combo (if you're planning on being Strike-focused rather than Ki Blast focused) are both good early game strike moves you can easily combo into from any string.

After the mentors, try to do some offline PQs (offline because online can take awhile to get people to join the early ones and the early ones are generally easy enough to do on your own with AI allies). Oh and take Advancement Tests (the robot next to Elder Kai) when you are able to, they give you a lot of experience points.

And then once you feel you're high enough level, go do a story mission and then rinse and repeat from there.

Oh, also, because you're a Saiyan you'll probably want to either focus on Basic Attack, Ki/Stamina (pick one), Ki Blasts or Basic Attack, Ki/Stamina, or Strike. Since you'll get Super Saiyan at some point, SS1-3 buff Strike supers more than Ki Blast supers which is why the second option is a good focus for Saiyans. Stamina or Ki really depends on the type of player you are. If you plan to only play single player and PvE (PQs) then you could have an even distribution of stats between Ki and Stamina but I would try to focus on Basic Attack and Strike or Basic Attack and Ki Blast Super. Health is a pretty pointless stat to raise for Saiyans because they have lower health compared to the other races and bumping it up much won't do a whole lot for you.

When Time Rifts open up, you will want to go to Capsule Corp. and see Vegeta when the game tells you he is available to talk to. Doing the quest line with Vegeta (it's a series of training matches with him) is how you get Super Saiyan.

Hope all that helps.

Thanks guys! This did help a lot. I see Yamaha, Krillin, and Piccolo as mentors so far.

Also, when I created the character it asked me which fighting style I preferred -- does that actually matter to my character? I ended up re-creating my character for appearance reasons and picking the neutral option that I can do close or hanging back.

The first Advancement Test came available too but I've failed it 4-5 times now. Me vs. Yamcha, Tien, Krillin, and Piccolo is too much for me right now. I guess I need to advance the story a bit since I haven't done it at all yet.

man I wish Super had a dub already all of these look hilarious

but i hate Japanese Goku too much

Same, especially these days. Can't stop comparing her to Krillin & Luffy's voice actress, who I think is quite amazing.
I used to be like this too, but I couldn't wait. Now I love his voice lol, and going back to hear the Battle of Gods dub didn't feel right in some cases, like with the voices for Beerus and Whis. Have I been tainted?!

Top Bottom