• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 |OT| Just in Time for Super

Permanently A

This is pretty cool, a potential story for DBXV3

6FerYxu.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you train with Vegeta, this is the second profile picture you get.

LamePartialCaudata-size_restricted.gif

Amazing.

Nordicus

You can get profile pics? What are they for and how do you use them?
Mentors give them when your relationship with them is high enough. Go to "Play Data" once you have one to put it on.

They're more like stickers than profile pics tho. Show only during PvP

ffvorax

First time in this game I think i fucked up the attributes for my char... XD

Frieza Race lv80: (don't have the game open right now, but more or less these should be the attributes...)

Health: 50
Ki: 20
Stamina: 60
Basic Attack: 70
Blast: 20
Strike: 70

So... any good moves or suggestion to how to play with such a char or should just cerate a new one/ uses the wishes to change everything?

Frieza Race lv80: (don't have the game open right now, but more or less these should be the attributes...)

So... any good moves or suggestion to how to play with such a char or should just cerate a new one/ uses the wishes to change everything?

Unless you want to seriously PVP, don't worry about it. Just use the moves you like. Honestly it doesn't matter too much, and you can always use clothing or QQ Bangs to enhance the aspects you want.

ffvorax

Unless you want to seriously PVP, don't worry about it. Just use the moves you like. Honestly it doesn't matter too much, and you can always use clothing or QQ Bangs to enhance the aspects you want.

Not interested in going "professional" just would like to undestrand how to play to avoid defeat each time I try to PVP! :D

(not tried to pvp until now, so I'm just getting prepared, looking for some suggesions...)

Nordicus

Justice Combination is the usual Strike Ultimate you use since you can combo into it. You want a counter-move as one of your skills to keep yourself safe when you're at stamina disadvantage like Pressure Sign or Burst Rush (maybe pseudo-counters like Evil Whirlwind or Punisher Drive), an instant combo finisher super like Super Dragon/God Fists, Meteor Crash, Deadly Dance, Sauza Blade and the like that you can do right after melee combo. Then you want either a gap closer or ranged attack, this can be a blast if the utility is good enough, and the last super slot is free.

You need to decide how much you're going to rely on ranged harassment and hit&run tactics, or just getting close and personal, and then choose your evasive skill accordingly, either something that leaves you in good offensive position or knocks them far away.

Rule #1 in any case is to never start attacking immediately after you z-vanish out of enemy combo, because you will get back attacked. Dash away and then approach, or use a skill that can hit from that distance.

Rule #2 is to create a combo in Training mode that leads to Stamina Break without pause.

ffvorax

Justice Combination is the usual Strike Ultimate you use since you can combo into it. You want a counter-move as one of your skills to keep yourself safe when you're at stamina disadvantage like Pressure Sign or Burst Rush (maybe pseudo-counters like Evil Whirlwind or Punisher Drive), an instant combo finisher super like Super Dragon/God Fists, Meteor Crash, Deadly Dance, Sauza Blade and the like that you can do right after melee combo. Then you want either a gap closer or ranged attack, this can be a blast if the utility is good enough, and the last super slot is free.

You need to decide how much you're going to rely on ranged harassment and hit&run tactics, or just getting close and personal, and then choose your evasive skill accordingly, either something that leaves you in good offensive position or knocks them far away.

Rule #1 in any case is to never start attacking immediately after you z-vanish out of enemy combo, because you will get back attacked. Dash away and then approach, or use a skill that can hit from that distance.

Rule #2 is to create a combo in Training mode that leads to Stamina Break without pause.

Thx, going to study a good moveset then tonight! :D

Vic_Viper

You can reroll ur characters stats with the dragon balls.

Sephzilla

Watching the TeamFourStar streams of Xenoverse 2 and they had one good idea that I wish happened. Towa/Mira go back in time and cause the heroes to win a fight early, and thus screwing over everything (like Vegeta killing Cell before he becomes Perfect) thus forcing you to go back in time and help the villains.

In general I'd really like Xenoverse 3 to go in a new direction with the story instead of just Mary Sue-ing your character into every big event in the franchise.

TreIII

This is pretty cool, a potential story for DBXV3

6FerYxu.png

Now THIS is what I'm talking about, as far as ideas go. Less retreads, more original settings that actually makes great use of the whole timey-wimey setting.

Fusions is already doing this type of thing to great effect, and it's that much better off for it.

Now THIS is what I'm talking about, as far as ideas go. Less retreads, more original settings that actually makes great use of the whole timey-wimey setting.

Fusions is already doing this type of thing to great effect, and it's that much better off for it.

You'll get the same retellings of the same sagas and movies with minor variations over and over and over again, and you'll like it.

It would be nice if they put any effort at all into the story for one of these, but I don't see it happening.

Nordicus

Watching the TeamFourStar streams of Xenoverse 2 and they had one good idea that I wish happened. Towa/Mira go back in time and cause the heroes to win a fight early, and thus screwing over everything (like Vegeta killing Cell before he becomes Perfect) thus forcing you to go back in time and help the villains.
I was honestly expecting that we were going to assist villains more in Xenoverse 2 because the trailers implied that there were going to be changes in timeline that were "what you wish had happened"

Sephzilla

I was honestly expecting that we were going to assist villains more in Xenoverse 2 because the trailers implied that there were going to be changes in timeline that were "what you wish had happened"

Until we get a scenario where Vegeta is the hero of the Cell Saga instead of Gohan, we'll never hit a "what you wish had happened" level for me

Raxious

Got my platinum trophy last night, so now it's time to put the game away. Although I've enjoyed the game a lot and put lots of hours into it, I'm not sure if I'll start it up again. I didn't really like PvP and the Raid.

Also seems as if the community is already dying when I look at how long it takes to get a full team for either a raid or an expert mission, let alone something as simple as a PQ.

chaosaeon

Watching the Cell Saga again they had a perfect spot for Vegeta to go SSJ2 when Trunks is killed.

Was about to post this. Trunks gets laid out and Vegeta passes super to proper SS2 just like Gohan did. Other what if scenarios :
Cell absorbs android 16 and becomes something completely different.
Bardock actually kills Frieza and ends up a villain taking his place and saiyans end up an army of planet conquerors leading to a Goku VS Bardock showdown on Namek.
Goku hits his head a second time as an adult when his ship crash lands when returning from space after Frieza. He finds Trunks butchering Frieza's men and refuses to accept his time travel story and they have a super saiyan VS super saiyan fight. More of a PQ than a whole plot but would want to see that happen if only for some more sword vs finger action.
It's fun thinking of random things you could mess around with in the story. They have an infinite world to draw from.

cordy

Banned
Man, some of the stuff in this game is wild. I haven't played a DB game since Tenkaichi 3 so I was all good and ok until I hit a certain point. That Freeza/Exploding Namek fight? The final one you do? Holy crap, I lost so many times I had to literally level up more, get Kaio-Ken and then return just to barely win that fight. So difficult. Also the quests where you help Nail and you eventually fight Freeza and Cooler to get the Dragon Balls. Damn.

Had no idea this game would be this hard. Amazing fun though I love it.

can't wait for justice combination to get nerfed and see all the spammers struggle like crazy

I feel it shouldn't be nerfed. People only flock to it because there aren't many other practical options. In the first game, using Justice Combination, Blue Hurricane and Fighting Pose K was basically required to compete with both the AI and the metagame for PvP. Simple things like making the other melee ultimates easier to combo into and having more generous hitboxes would go a long way for build variety. Nerfing one of the few good options would just limit creativity even more. The season pass for the first game didn't do much to fix this problem for melee characters, and while I hope this game's season pass will, I'm not holding my breath. Making the other melee supers/ultimates worth using would go a long way without needing to create more assets.

Nordicus

can't wait for justice combination to get nerfed and see all the spammers struggle like crazy
Wait until God of destruction's anger gets nerfed. We're going to laugh.
I've not had problem with either of these though it wouldn't surprise me to see some 15-20% damage nerf to Justice Combination.

Reverse Mabakusenko tho, it needs to consume at least 150 Ki up front. Every counter super in game consumes Ki even if the effect's not triggered. My friend had a counter spammer character in XV1 where counters could be spammed for free until it hits, and it was absolutely oppressive

Edit:
I feel it shouldn't be nerfed. People only flock to it because there aren't many other practical options. In the first game, using Justice Combination, Blue Hurricane and Fighting Pose K was basically required to compete with both the AI and the metagame for PvP. Simple things like making the other melee ultimates easier to combo into and having more generous hitboxes would go a long way for build variety. Nerfing one of the few good options would just limit creativity even more.
Good point.

I have been struggling to find other strike ultimates with good utility and have had to use a blast ulti as my second because the search hasn't been succesful.

Xiraiya

So far I feel like XV2 is a missed opportunity, I'm still finishing up XV1 but Messed around the early parts of 2.

For example, why is character creation barely expanded? Is there any reason why every known hairstyle or face part in the DBZ Universe can't just be dumped into the CAC?

Is there any reason why they can't add recolor support on all clothing/armor?

They have an engine filled with all these wonderful assets and the systems all right there to let players mess with and build whatever they want but keep insisting on limiting what we have access to.

Let me have my freedom, I shouldn't have to mod the game (I wouldn't anyway since if it only shows for me then who cares).

Nordicus

Weird license reasons apparently. Have to make generic sets that sort of look like the originals.
Man, some of the stuff in this game is wild. I haven't played a DB game since Tenkaichi 3 so I was all good and ok until I hit a certain point. That Freeza/Exploding Namek fight? The final one you do? Holy crap, I lost so many times I had to literally level up more, get Kaio-Ken and then return just to barely win that fight. So difficult. Also the quests where you help Nail and you eventually fight Freeza and Cooler to get the Dragon Balls. Damn.

Had no idea this game would be this hard. Amazing fun though I love it.
The Cooler & Frieza battle is the first time when the AI actually puts up a fight. It gets more competent from there

Xiraiya

Weird license reasons apparently. Have to make generic sets that sort of look like the originals.
Is that really why? Man that's disappointing, it'd be one thing if it was them just not thinking it through and then fixing it if people yell loud enough, but that's a whole other thing if it's licensing stuff, that sort of nonsense ruined the dressing up in Sleeping Dogs too.

TreIII

You'll get the same retellings of the same sagas and movies with minor variations over and over and over again, and you'll like it.

It would be nice if they put any effort at all into the story for one of these, but I don't see it happening.

I disagree, and dare to remain hopeful.

I mean, it certainly took a while before Dragon Ball Heroes (Dimps' OTHER Dragon Ball cash cow) started to tell more original stories, in addition to cashing in on the current Super stuff, but it's doing it, now. Towa, Mira, Demigra and etc. are used to more interesting effect. There's now Xeno versions of Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Goten to help Time Patrol Trunks out with his missions, and plenty of other interesting tidbits going on, even before we start getting into the various SSJ3, SSJ4 or other miscellaneous transformations that they started giving characters.

And a lot of Dragon Ball fans all over the world are pretty savvy to the kinds of things that are going on in stuff like Heroes, Fusions and the Super anime/manga, even if it's stuff that's not available in their regions (yet). Eventually, the fans are going to desire games that have more "new" content, instead of just continuously recycling old stuff from Saiyan, Freeza, Cell and Buu arcs for the umpteenth time. And thanks to Super being officially available, with dubs soon coming, Dimps will have good reason to start designing games that take all of that into account.

If nothing else, I think that the landscape would be much kinder to a XV game that had a wholly "original" story like Shin Budokai Another Road, now, as opposed to nearly ten years ago...

X-Frame

So if I just beat the story on my first character, does that mean that once this inevitable patch drops where alt characters don't need to do the story that all the mentors will be available as soon as my alt signs in?

If not, how exactly will this work? I'd rather not do the story again with my alt, rather I'd much prefer to do all the PQ's on my alt and everything else and jump right into the end game.

So if I just beat the story on my first character, does that mean that once this inevitable patch drops where alt characters don't need to do the story that all the mentors will be available as soon as my alt signs in?

If not, how exactly will this work? I'd rather not do the story again with my alt, rather I'd much prefer to do all the PQ's on my alt and everything else and jump right into the end game.

if it's anything like XV1, yeah, everything should be available to your alt characters.

but I don't think this feature has officially been confirmed yet, just hinted at by a Bamco tweet.

Varna

So far I feel like XV2 is a missed opportunity, I'm still finishing up XV1 but Messed around the early parts of 2.

For example, why is character creation barely expanded? Is there any reason why every known hairstyle or face part in the DBZ Universe can't just be dumped into the CAC?

They have an engine filled with all these wonderful assets and the systems all right there to let players mess with and build whatever they want but keep insisting on limiting what we have access to.

Let me have my freedom, I shouldn't have to mod the game (I wouldn't anyway since if it only shows for me then who cares).

Yup. Thank god for steam refunds.

I know they did "under the hood" tweaks but honestly the game just feels exactly the same as Xenoverse. This is a series ripe for expansion but in my exciting for the possibility of them expanding on the ideas they started with I forgot this is a licensed game and probably got no time in the oven. It's sad really. There is a lot of potential here but I doubt even the third game will get much more done then this.

Laiza

I know they did "under the hood" tweaks but honestly the game just feels exactly the same as Xenoverse.
Direct sequel doesn't fundamentally rework the mechanics and feels like a direct sequel? You don't say?

You didn't dive any more than knee deep into the game. It's kind of ridiculous to make these kinds of snap judgments when you haven't even made a basic attempt at getting into the actual mechanics (which have changed tremendously - these are not "under the hood" tweaks we're talking about here).

They addressed most of the major complaints about the first game (random ultimate finishes, random mentors, stats on clothing, lack of an equalized PvP mode, super armor on bosses, braindead AI, among others I can't remember off the top of my head) while expanding the game in every direction and adding layers of depth into the combat. Frankly, I'm hard-pressed to complain about the money I've spent on the game at this point.

There are real issues the game still has right now, but none of those issues are things you're going to run into in the first two hours. It just seems like you fundamentally don't like the game's genre and want something completely different from what it's going for, or else your expectations are so sky-high they may very well be impossible to meet. That's what it looks like from where I'm standing, anyway.

Btw, they've stated that there's going to be a bigger gap between XV2 and XV3 than there was between XV1 and XV2, so you can expect even bigger improvements for that iteration. Perhaps then they'll address the final remaining complaints that I have (like the lack of environmental damage, transforming SS hair, detailed body sliders or even a muscle slider). Dnno if they'll meet your expectations, though. I'm not even sure what you're after.

McNum

Hm, been thinking if it's possible to make some dedicated PvE build characters, for joining co-op missions and playing support. I could see both a Tank and Medic role work.

I mean a 125 Health and Stamina Namekian with Giant Form and Savior has Come should be able to both get the attention of, and survive just about anything in PvE, up to and including a raid boss. On the other end, a Frieza Race character specced for speed with that AoE healing Ultimate and a Super Soul that makes reviving faster could very likely keep people in the game. Kai Kai would also be an interesting skill, especially if it can target downed allies. Can it?

Both Tank and Medic would need some offense, of course, but I just wonder if there's room for that kind of specialization in Xenoverse 2? Or if there are other ideas for a support build?

hamchan

In general I'd really like Xenoverse 3 to go in a new direction with the story instead of just Mary Sue-ing your character into every big event in the franchise.

That'll be great. I would also love if they just went wacky. Like having Raditz as the last boss. Or having Bulma accidentally kill Goku at the start of Dragon Ball, making Krillin the main hero of the series.

LaNaranja

Anyone else laugh in the story when
Mira gets caught in a full nelson by Bardock? How does that even work when both people can fly?

McNum

Anyone else laugh in the story when
Mira gets caught in a full nelson by Bardock? How does that even work when both people can fly?
You use your ki to make an inverted flight so you push down harder than your opponent pushes up? That should cancel out any attempt at flying, unless the victim is willing to risk shooting off like a rocket out of control and overcharge his flight ki.

bilas

Banned
That'll be great. I would also love if they just went wacky. Like having Raditz as the last boss. Or having Bulma accidentally kill Goku at the start of Dragon Ball, making Krillin the main hero of the series.

That would imply actual effort by Dimps.

Finally getting into the game with my male Saiyan and really enjoying it so far. I've only played Xenoverse 1 for a few hours (about half into Namek saga), so for me almost everything feels new.
Now I need some advice on where to spend my attribute points. I'm on level 28 and going for a Melee build with SSJ3, so I only distributed them between Health and basic attack so far (25 health, 60 basic attack). Should I put some points in stamina and Ki too, and how much? I read somewhere that you need at least 6 Ki bars for SSJ3 transformation, that would be 1 additional bar. And to have some extra stamina wouldn't hurt either, I suppose? Last but not least, would it make sense to put points into Strike or Ki supers? I'm grateful for any advice ;)

Impulsor

I managed to make this QQ Bang yesterday:

-5 Health
+5 Ki
+5 Stamina
+2 Basic Attack
-5 Strike supers
+3 Ki blast

pretty good if you ask me.

Also, my build is pretty much meant for this QQ Bang.

0 Health
125 Ki (10 bars)
42 Stamina (8 bars)
40 Basic Attack
0 Strike Supers
125 Ki blast

X-Frame

if it's anything like XV1, yeah, everything should be available to your alt characters.

but I don't think this feature has officially been confirmed yet, just hinted at by a Bamco tweet.

Thanks. I guess I'll hold off on my alt for now then.

Also another question, if I check the rewards for a PQ such as a piece of clothing or ability and I don't get it after I beat it -- I should keep doing it until I get it to drop? For example if there are 2 pieces of Broly clothing possible to get and I just get 1.

Laiza

[...]Kai Kai would also be an interesting skill, especially if it can target downed allies. Can it?

Both Tank and Medic would need some offense, of course, but I just wonder if there's room for that kind of specialization in Xenoverse 2? Or if there are other ideas for a support build?
Haven't tried Kai Kai yet, so can't help you there.

But yes, there is room for tanky medic builds in expert missions. With "The Savior Has Come" you can maintain aggro pretty well, so if you're good enough at blocking and dodging you can pretty well keep them occupied while your teammates beat them down. I think Energy Zone is also resistant to damage during its duration, so that's a nice plus.

Finally getting into the game with my male Saiyan and really enjoying it so far. I've only played Xenoverse 1 for a few hours (about half into Namek saga), so for me almost everything feels new.
Now I need some advice on where to spend my attribute points. I'm on level 28 and going for a Melee build with SSJ3, so I only distributed them between Health and basic attack so far (25 health, 60 basic attack). Should I put some points in stamina and Ki too, and how much? I read somewhere that you need at least 6 Ki bars for SSJ3 transformation, that would be 1 additional bar. And to have some extra stamina wouldn't hurt either, I suppose? Last but not least, would it make sense to put points into Strike or Ki supers? I'm grateful for any advice ;)
Breakpoints for ki and stamina bars are at 42, 84, and 125 points per bar. SS3 is actually at 5 bars of ki, so even if you don't put any points into it, you can turn SS3, though if you have any items that reduce ki (or a QQ bang that does) you'll fall below that number.

Damage is relatively minor at this point in time. 42 points in a damage stat is +5% damage, so 84 points is +10% and 125 points is +15%. It's not a huge deal either way. You can pretty much do whatever you like without having to worry about crippling your character.

Also another question, if I check the rewards for a PQ such as a piece of clothing or ability and I don't get it after I beat it -- I should keep doing it until I get it to drop? For example if there are 2 pieces of Broly clothing possible to get and I just get 1.
The number of times a set is listed only tells you that there are multiple chances to get an item. It doesn't actually tell you how many pieces a set has. A set can show up as one item on the PQ list and actually have pieces for all four slots. So, yeah, if you want the full set, keep running it until you have everything.

Clothing drops indefinitely from PQs. Unlike techniques, they aren't grayed out once you get it, so you can play a PQ as much as you want.

Laiza

Yes, when the first Season Pass DLC was released, everyone's max level was raised from 80 to 99
Correction: The level cap was first raised to 85 for DLC pack 2. It wasn't raised to 99 until DLC pack 3, two months later.

They probably won't repeat the same thing here, however. I expect a level cap raise for DLC pack 1, 2, 3, and 4, probably +5 levels each. That's just my guess, seeing as how Xenoverse 2 is designed to last longer than the first game.

Top Bottom