• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Corgi

Banned
yep turn off glare and motion blur so your eyes wont' die in the hub map.

I feel like im in that stage in drug rehab where I want to play this game all day, but when I'm home, I keep telling myself I want to play.. then never playing lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The
Bardock Survival
story mission is no joke.. wow. Brutal.

On the bright side, my Frieza's race character has gone from wet paper to killing machine somehow. Focusing on regular attacks gives him some killer combos, especially with that homing ki blast at the end.

Stay close to Krillin and Gohan and make sure to keep the heat off of them. It is imperative that they face no more than one enemy at a time, because otherwise their health will get chipped down quickly from back-attacks and such.

If you're having difficulty even with these tips, try levelling up a bit. Ginyu uses his own stats, which means he level-scales to whatever you're at.

Thanks, I got it now. Was a massive pain in the ass.

For awhile we were all fighting in a big room, then one of them would move off into the hallway and get fucked up. I kept using Ginyu's strike move that sent him forward a lot and did way better just abusing milky cannon.

Sorry if its been asked before but I would find it extremely daunting to read through 105 pages.

I'm a huge DBZ fan, but the last game I truly enjoyed was Budokai 3. I saw that this game was developed by dimps. Would I be right in thinking that the combat falls in style with the budokai games? given the fact that it was made by dimps?

Also, how does the game handle transformations? Can you start a match with regular goku and transform him to SSJ 1 or 2 or 3? or are all of his forms separate character selections?

thanks, in advance!

Power-up skills are buffs (with a slight visual change) rather than genuine transformations. Stuff like Super Saiyan, Kaioken, and a few variations. The game handles it for NPCs by making them scripted for the most part. Like, you'll beat up Vegeta and then he'll go Super Saiyan, etc. The game's time-travel shenanigans explain away some missing transformations, too.

Because it's scripted these transformations can only happen in specific modes, not regular PvP battles. NPCs or players in regular PvP battles will never be able to, for example, use Frieza 1st Form, power up to 2nd form, 3rd, etc. It will be Frieza 1st form, or whatever you select at the start, with nothing else for the duration, save for the power-up skills mentioned before (if the character has them equipped).

I'm not sure how the battle system compares to previous Dragonball Z games, but from what I gather those were more traditional fighters, whereas DBXV is more like a brawler/RPG/quasi-MMO hybrid. There's much more focus on group battles, character stats and equipment/items/crafting, interacting with the environment, and specific/unexpected events in missions, rather than simply "reduce one opponent's health to 0." The Parallel Quests (3 players/NPCs vs a series of NPC scenarios) in particular are a huge aspect of the game, where levelling, equipment, and new skills/strategies are learned, all of which help the player take on the story missions.
Giant Bomb has a pretty good Quick Look of the game if you want a better look at it; most of the systems and gameplay are showcased.

I'd say the bottom line for Dragonball Xenoverse is, if you have any love for Dragonball Z, this game is for you. Aside from server issues and some RNG annoyances, it's a really fun, compelling take on Dragonball Z, not to mention a promising start for a new line of games. There's a lot of little touches that mark it as a labour of love, as well as a great deal of content to chew through if you're so inclined.

Join us, PATROLLER!

Gerah X

Power-up skills are buffs (with a slight visual change) rather than genuine transformations. Stuff like Super Saiyan, Kaioken, and a few variations. The game handles it for NPCs by making them scripted for the most part. Like, you'll beat up Vegeta and then he'll go Super Saiyan, etc. The game's time-travel shenanigans explain away some missing transformations, too.

Because it's scripted these transformations can only happen in specific modes, not regular PvP battles. NPCs or players in regular PvP battles will never be able to, for example, use Frieza 1st Form, power up to 2nd form, 3rd, etc. It will be Frieza 1st form, or whatever you select at the start, with nothing else for the duration, save for the power-up skills mentioned before (if the character has them equipped).

I'm not sure how the battle system compares to previous Dragonball Z games, but from what I gather those were more traditional fighters, whereas DBXV is more like a brawler/RPG/quasi-MMO hybrid. There's much more focus on group battles, character stats and equipment/items/crafting, interacting with the environment, and specific/unexpected events in missions, rather than simply "reduce one opponent's health to 0." The Parallel Quests (3 players/NPCs vs a series of NPC scenarios) in particular are a huge aspect of the game, where levelling, equipment, and new skills/strategies are learned, all of which help the player take on the story missions.
Giant Bomb has a pretty good Quick Look of the game if you want a better look at it; most of the systems and gameplay are showcased.

I'd say the bottom line for Dragonball Xenoverse is, if you have any love for Dragonball Z, this game is for you. Aside from server issues and some RNG annoyances, it's a really fun, compelling take on Dragonball Z, not to mention a promising start for a new line of games. There's a lot of little touches that mark it as a labour of love, as well as a great deal of content to chew through if you're so inclined.

Join us, PATROLLER!

Thank you so much for reply, that is an excellent write-up and I'll definitely consider it now! (just have to wait and get paid)
Thanks again!

Do you get to pick from the three questions again? The one that asks if you want to specialize in KI, STRIKE or Balanced?

Don't those just determine starting skills, and nothing more?

Thank you so much for reply, that is an excellent write-up and I'll definitely consider it now! (just have to wait and get paid)
Thanks again!

You're welcome. (Sharpening my non-existent writing skills is always worthwhile!)

Yeah, but everything starts at 0 right? So to maximise wouldn't you have to pick Ki or Strike?

I think we misunderstand eachother. I mean the skills (supers and ultimates), not a character's attributes (health, ki, stamina, attack, etc)

I always assumed that a character's race/gender affected starting attributes, and that initial training choice affected skills.

Philtastic

Now that the vanish bug has been fixed and I don't need a rock solid frame rate, I've gone back to downsampling from 4K using Durante's GeDoSaTo tool and applying 16x anisotropic filtering. I wanted to point out just how much of a difference these make to the game so I took some comparison shots.

Without downsampling and AF:
16713775606_19da71791a_o.png
Downsampled from 4K to 2048x1152 and 16x AF:

I've got two more comparisons in my album here (didn't take too many since you have to log out/exit the game to switch resolution and AF settings):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130992642@N03/sets/72157650802697698/

Suffice to say that I highly recommend 16x AF at least if not downsampling since this isn't a very demanding game.

Astral

I now know the pain of grinding for Vegito's clothes. The game refuses to let me even fight him. I only have his pants so far.

Korezo

I think we misunderstand eachother. I mean the skills (supers and ultimates), not a character's attributes (health, ki, stamina, attack, etc)

I always assumed that a character's race/gender affected starting attributes, and that initial training choice affected skills.

Also height and I think weight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Now that the vanish bug has been fixed and I don't need a rock solid frame rate, I've gone back to downsampling from 4K using Durante's GeDoSaTo tool and applying 16x anisotropic filtering. I wanted to point out just how much of a difference these make to the game so I took some comparison shots.

I've got two more comparisons in my album here (didn't take too many since you have to log out/exit the game to switch resolution and AF settings):

Suffice to say that I highly recommend 16x AF at least if not downsampling since this isn't a very demanding game.

Whenever I try to downsample from anything higher than 3200x1800 back down to 1080p using GeDoSaTo, the camera starts to rotate on its own. The higher the resolution, the faster the camera will spin. Any ideas?

Muzicfreq

Banned

YIKES! I take it you don't have any AA turned on?

Omni

My biggest issue with the way this game looks is how unclean it is. It's very distracting at times. The HUB world is ugly as hell.

Philtastic

The vanishing bug hasn't been fixed though..

As far as I can tell, it has. Here's a video I just recorded with a highly variable framerate (downsampling from 4K while recording using MSI Afterburner actually tanks my framerate. While not recording, it's closer to 50-60 fps) that shows it working as intended 100% of the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smOqj5jkoZ8

Hmm, I just noticed that it's only using 80-85% of my GPU even though it's struggling to maintain 40 fps. That's odd.

Whenever I try to downsample from anything higher than 3200x1800 back down to 1080p using GeDoSaTo, the camera starts to rotate on its own. The higher the resolution, the faster the camera will spin. Any ideas?

For some reason, around 4K, the game starts freaking out like that and takes an abnormal dive in framerate along with the auto-camera turning. I'm not sure why but my system seems to handle 3840x2160 just fine but can't do 4096x2304 (which is 2x my native resolution). I guess just keep dropping it until you don't see the camera turning. You may need to add more resolutions to GeDoSaTo in that case.

YIKES! I take it you don't have any AA turned on?

I dislike post-process AA solutions due to the blur they add, thus I don't have FXAA on and try to downsample when I can such as here. I also have glare on low and depth of field off. It's amazing how much detail is restored with AF while downsampling greatly reduces the aliasing.

CryptiK

Its the Jagginess that kills it.

Muzicfreq

Banned
As far as I can tell, it has. Here's a video I just recorded with a highly variable framerate (downsampling from 4K while recording using MSI Afterburner actually tanks my framerate. While not recording, it's closer to 50-60 fps) that shows it working as intended 100% of the time:

Hmm, I just noticed that it's only using 80-85% of my GPU even though it's struggling to maintain 40 fps. That's odd.

For some reason, around 4K, the game starts freaking out like that and takes an abnormal dive in framerate along with the auto-camera turning. I'm not sure why but my system seems to handle 3840x2160 just fine but can't do 4096x2304 (which is 2x my native resolution). I guess just keep dropping it until you don't see the camera turning. You may need to add more resolutions to GeDoSaTo in that case.

I dislike post-process AA solutions due to the blur they add, thus I don't have FXAA on and try to downsample when I can such as here. I also have glare on low and depth of field off. It's amazing how much detail is restored with AF while downsampling greatly reduces the aliasing.

While sure you get detail back but it's murdered by all the jaggies.

Durden77

Finally finished the story today.
Jesus Goku really ALWAYS has to steal the spotlight doesn't he?

I legit love this game, and I adore DBZ, but I don't know how much more I can grind. The fact that the ultimate sections of the quests are just random on activation even if you net all the goals is fucking absurd.

I'm about to jump back into some PQs now, but we'll see how long I go after I finish the rest. Overall still though, I am super, super pleased with this game. Most exciting DBZ game I've played since Budokai 3. I really hope it gets a sequel and they really use that to concentrate on the flaws of this one. If so, Xenoverse 2 could suck up every bit of my time.

GO DIMPS GO! MAKE US DBZ FANS PROUD!

Tan

B_e40_rWAAAqKph.jpg:large

I saw all the discussion and people posting their own characters and I caved.

Just got super saiyen from the PQ, this game's alright but some of the harder missions are reeeeal messed up. Super armor all the time is frustrating to deal with.

Nordicus

PC users see this? Apparently this soul is now broken and is damn near completely filling health when you damage the enemy. Just tested it...will probably be fixed soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxNaq90L7Y
Yeah I saw that video. Makes me sick how broken it suddenly got. The kamiccolo soul is nothing compared to that

At least now Hero Prinny can cheese through story mode to get his other character slots and possibly stop whining in his every post as if he was forced to play this.
Finally finished the story today.
Jesus Goku really ALWAYS has to steal the spotlight doesn't he?
He doesn't have to, actually. Beat the final boss quick enough and without getting beat up and suddenly the spotlight has one less person in it :p

Durden77

He doesn't have to, actually. Beat the final boss quick enough and without getting beat up and suddenly the spotlight has one less person in it :p

Really huh? That's pretty sweet. Does it change the kill cutscene too?

I love Goku btw, just the way he gets shoved into this game at the end made me laugh. He like ascended from hero to just that dude that's like "WAIT YOU'RE DOIN SOMETHIN COOL DON'T LEAVE ME OUT!!". It makes sense why they would do it though.

Also WHAT THE FUCK is up with dragon balls ending up outside of barriers in missions where you have to collect them? Along with the stuff I said earlier, comon how do you expect me to keep playing this.

martino

Played with patch this morning vanish bug seems fix here as well (first times i teleport behind and just far enougth to begin a conter combo , never seen here before while playing)

KHlover

Banned
Really huh? That's pretty sweet. Does it change the kill cutscene too?

I love Goku btw, just the way he gets shoved into this game at the end made me laugh. He like ascended from hero to just that dude that's like "WAIT YOU'RE DOIN SOMETHIN COOL DON'T LEAVE ME OUT!!". It makes sense why they would do it though.

Also WHAT THE FUCK is up with dragon balls ending up outside of barriers in missions where you have to collect them? Along with the stuff I said earlier, comon how do you expect me to keep playing this.
Go play Legend of Zelda 1 for a bit and then redo the quest. You will beat it ;)

Omni

Was there an update on Xbox One?

I don't see anything in the queue. But it's telling me it can't connect to the servers without an update.

Rizzi

It's still happening for me. :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
B_e40_rWAAAqKph.jpg:large

I saw all the discussion and people posting their own characters and I caved.

Just got super saiyen from the PQ, this game's alright but some of the harder missions are reeeeal messed up. Super armor all the time is frustrating to deal with.
I really like this design, nice job.

And maaaan. Beerus/Whis are going to give me an aneurism.

Omni

I really like this design, nice job.

And maaaan. Beerus/Whis are going to give me an aneurism.

I didn't beat those guys until I hit level 50. Then I more or less breezed through that mission. And the rest of the game. Haha

Wasn't too bad in hindsight. Though I did a fair amount of cheesing, I guess... SSJ2 and Final Flash spam xD

TheIconizer

Neo Member
Same.. really odd since no update prompt happens when I boot my game up.

Yeah I know, funny fact is my US buddies were playing fine in a Multi Lobby. We were also able to do quests together. It's okay if something is not 100% fine at release I had to get used to it, but it's been nearly two weeks. I'm getting finished with the game and I couldn't enjoy messing around in Multi Lobbies.

Top Bottom