• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Omni

My character

XUDyOE.png

Kinda boring, sure. But I grinded for hours for that shirt haha. Once I get this to level 80 I'll start something a little more unique xD

How did Future Trunks get the Dragonballs? Didn't they disappear in his timeline? And he looks more like GT Trunks and not the badass from the future

NoFoX

How the hell do i get Z Rank in PQs?
I do anything they want (under 5 mins, transform, max combo > 20, high helth etc) but i do still get A, B or C.
And also the Recoome super finisher..
I've played this PQ more than 20 times, have Z Rank, but it doesn't drop...
I hate such random bullshit in games.

martino

I do anything they want (under 5 mins, transform, max combo > 20, high helth etc) but i do still get A, B or C.

i found playing solo and search for treasure is easy score boost

TheIconizer

Neo Member
I'm building a Ki Blast Super only Female Saiyan. Just to make sure I do what I have to. The later quests are hard. When you have to beat all Saiyans and then Broly OMG. I run out of time. Either that or SSJ 3 Goku and Mystic Gohan spam the Kamehame and I fall.

Anyone else think that Omega Shenron is a bit weak?

My other question would be what's the best way to farm Dragon Balls. Yes I heard about the quest #2, but I reseted that quest 25 times still material item. I heard resetting isn't quite enough. Any tips on Dragon Balls? Thanks.

Is it me or does the last Dragon Ball harder to get?
Been trying for about an hour.

Also I think the servers suck because Dimps did not expect the success. The serversion were good the first week.

i'm really starting to hate the RNG, its bad enough for the drops but whether you can get an ultimate finish too? fuck off with that bullshit

N° 2048

Is it me or does the last Dragon Ball harder to get?
Been trying for about an hour.

Also I think the servers suck because Dimps did not expect the success. The serversion were good the first week.

It most definitely gets harder. I got 4 in a row and then took me a while to get the 5th, now I only need 2 more but it's not as easy as the first 4.

i'm really starting to hate the RNG, its bad enough for the drops but whether you can get an ultimate finish too? fuck off with that bullshit

RNG = fun challenge
RNG on top of RNG = not fun

Get more point worthy stuff. Hit more ultimates, fight alone, hit more normal ki blasts, etc.

TimFL

Drops have nothing to do with ultimate finish/ranks. I got e.g. Super Vegeta 2 with a B rank. Only for stuff like certain time shards you need an ultimate finish/Z rank.

Ultimate finish = a good fight (mix of combos, supers, ultimates etc.) and not just finish as flawless and fast as you can. Whenever I don't focus on finishing fast and play around with combos/supers/ultimates I usually get Z ranks. Even when I lose a lot of health.

It most definitely gets harder. I got 4 in a row and then took me a while to get the 5th, now I only need 2 more but it's not as easy as the first 4.

RNG = fun challenge
RNG on top of RNG = not fun

there's no challenge for me to have to re do the same stages, over and over and over again because an item etc I want wont bloody drop, that's tedious and imo bad game design to lengthen a game and in Xenoverses case doesn't even need lengthening,

If I want to play a game with bad RNG i'd go back to Destiny.

N° 2048

there's no challenge for me to have to re do the same stages, over and over and over again because an item etc I want wont bloody drop, that's tedious and imo bad game design to lengthen a game and in Xenoverses case doesn't even need lengthening,

VlfUZNW.gif

sirap

Guys, is this game any good? I've been on the fence for a week. Price isn't an issue, time is.

I love Dragonball, but I've never played any of the previous games outside of the old PS1 GT game.

Guys, is this game any good? I've been on the fence for a week. Price isn't an issue, time is.

I love Dragonball, but I've never played any of the previous games outside of the old PS1 GT game.

best game since half decent Raging Blast 2, but because the AI at later stages can be brutal and the RNG I wont say it beats the PS2 games, and my god this game has made me want a new Legacy of Goku game.

it does miss a lot of imo important playable characters though, IE no Zarbon or Dodoria but has Appule :/

How is the online community? Are there OP builds that ruin competitive multiplayer? Is there any reason to make multiple characters to play different races? I would imagine msot people would just want to be a saiyan. . can I go Super Saiyan 3-4 with a customized character?

Just finished the main story on main guy.
This is the game I have been waiting for a long loooong time :D
The fanservice. so much fanservice...and I loved it.

best game since half decent Raging Blast 2, but because the AI at later stages can be brutal and the RNG I wont say it beats the PS2 games, and my god this game has made me want a new Legacy of Goku game.

it does miss a lot of imo important playable characters though, IE no Zarbon or Dodoria but has Appule :/

You're my favorite gaf member for the rest of the week. You hit the nail on my head as far as why this game doesn't get my love.

Yeah, there's some weird ommisions but the roster kind of feels better with a tighter roster since the characters feel more unique.

That said I'm still pissed Towa isn't playable
How is the online community? Are there OP builds that ruin competitive multiplayer? Is there any reason to make multiple characters to play different races? I would imagine msot people would just want to be a saiyan. . can I go Super Saiyan 3-4 with a customized character?
Most of the online community is waiting for the online to actually work lol
Don't expect much balance from PVP, it's supposed to be fun so there's some really oppressing / funny shit - people running Ginyu's Body Change fucking crack me up
Each race has different stats, movesets and some exclusive gear
And no, you can only go up to SSJ2 with custom character

RK9039

I think there is yeah, all of the races have their own strengths which you can play around with when making unique builds.

Only the moves are on the disc, not the character models (barring Giru and Great Ape Baby which aren't even playable anyway)

like I said everything is on disk, nothing character related that isn't on disk is being released, so no zarbon or majin vegeta or the like, as far as characters were concerned the game was complete and cut to facilitate DLC, everyone has seen completed models of 4 of the "dlc" characters before DLC or the finished roster was even announced.

Savitar

Bought the game and managed to get the day one version which seem to be getting harder to get now. Won't be able to play for a week but until then can plan what I want to be. Pity Android isn't an option to make a Cell like creature.

Philtastic

While sure you get detail back but it's murdered by all the jaggies.

I usually find the trade off of detail for jaggies worthwhile but, having now done a comparison with and without FXAA with XenoVerse which doesn't have many highly detailed textures, I think I might keep it on. Here's a comparison.

Downsampled 4K, 16x AF, no FXAA (same one posted earlier):

Downsampled 4K, 16x AF, in-game FXAA:

Inspecting very closely, there are many differences in jaggy amount, such as some clean up in my character's cape and hair, the pedestal for Mr. Satan is smoothed out, the snake road on the right is smooth, and most improved are the tree leaves. The only downsides I can see in this shot are on the objects with any texture detail, those being the bushes around the Mr. Satan statue, the TV displays, and the snake road scales. Most games have much more texture detail than XenoVerse such that turning on FXAA ends up blurring a ton of objects but, here, not so much of an issue. It definitely has a softer look which I normally don't like but, for this game, I think I'll keep it on.

Fjordson

How would you rate it as a single-player game? Sounds like it has some issues, but I'm down for a decent DBZ brawler. I honestly haven't played a Dragonball game since the Budokai ones on PS2.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I usually find the trade off of detail for jaggies worthwhile but, having now done a comparison with and without FXAA with XenoVerse which doesn't have many highly detailed textures, I think I might keep it on. Here's a comparison.

Inspecting very closely, there are many differences in jaggy amount, such as some clean up in my character's cape and hair, the pedestal for Mr. Satan is smoothed out, the snake road on the right is smooth, and most improved are the tree leaves. The only downsides I can see in this shot are on the objects with any texture detail, those being the bushes around the Mr. Satan statue, the TV displays, and the snake road scales. Most games have much more texture detail than XenoVerse such that turning on FXAA ends up blurring a ton of objects but, here, not so much of an issue. It definitely has a softer look which I normally don't like but, for this game, I think I'll keep it on.

Have you experimented at all with other AA settings in something like Inspector? I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Respect

Do you need to get the hidden conditions to have a shot at the maximum charge skill from pq 32, super saiyan bargain quest?

Muzicfreq

Banned

Looks much much better with FXAA on now.
Though I am wondering how would CMAA look

Philtastic

Have you experimented at all with other AA settings in something like Inspector? I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have an AMD Radeon R9 280X so I don't have as many AA options available to me. I've now tried 8x MSAA (doesn't work on alpha, such as tree leaves, and halves framerate), 8x super sampling (not much improvement with 4K downsampling already and halves fps - I guess that makes sense since you're just adding in redundant pixels at that point), SMAA via GeDoSaTo (very slightly better than in-game FXAA but also halves fps), and AMD's MLAA (ugly as hell since it blurs everything terribly - it's amazing how far post-process AA has come since then).

EDIT: Turns out that some of the fps halving I saw was from something in my video drivers getting corrupted from all the graphic setting switching. Had to reinstall my drivers.
EDIT2: Actually, it's a problem with GeDoSaTo. I guess it's just not completely stable with XenoVerse yet.
EDIT3: Alright, figured it out. When I was testing the different AA methods, I wanted to see what the real impact was on performance so I uncapped my framerate. XenoVerse seemingly goes up past 150 fps at the menu/cutscenes but might have triggered some kind of video card safety mechanism which capped its ability to use my GPU. After capping it at 60 fps, my framerate at 4K is now back to 50-60 instead of 25-35. Seems like a very counter-intuitive problem: having too high a framerate leads to a lower framerate :p

Now that I have FXAA on, I wondered if downsampling was even adding much to the image quality with the blurring and it turns out that it still does. Here's a comparison of that.

2048x1152, 16x AF, FXAA:
4K downsampled to 2048x1152, 16x AF, FXAA:

There is a clear, huge improvement in detail, most notably the trees, the scales on the snake roads, the visibility of the black lines in the tiled ground, and all the distant buildings. I guess I'm going to keep downsampling since I can usually stay above 50 fps.

How would you rate it as a single-player game? Sounds like it has some issues, but I'm down for a decent DBZ brawler. I honestly haven't played a Dragonball game since the Budokai ones on PS2.

well single player wise the main story is actually rather good even if some major characters arent in it, and some of the PQ are doable on your own but later stuff would be hard without people backing you up as relying on AI allies is not wise (they tend to die a lot).

The combat is REALLY easy to get to used to, if you playted Dynasty Warriors etc it uses the charge system from that, with the exception of special and ultimate attacks which require holding down Right trigger or both triggers respectively.

patchday

Drop rates must be dramatically increased in Online PQs because this morning I got a dragonball & Death ball on 1st try in a PQ.

After that got Super Vegeta 2 in the next PQ

Just got another z-soul I wanted from a PQ on the 2-3rd try

If you haven't already, try entering the online PQs.

Top Bottom