• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Namikaze

Wow, they added the Videl costume from the second Broly movie. Lol

Goku is missing the Yardrat outfit, end of Z outfit and beginning of GT outfit. Future trunks should have the long hair + jacket outfit (when he went back to his time). Oh well.

Lucumo

Probably because he can't unlock him even though he modified the game to get everyone. He has Jaco because it's the Japanese digital version which I think comes with it automatically.

Thought it would be in the code regardless. I mean, he has the physical edition, hasn't he? Or at least that's what I expected. Jaco was a pre-order bonus.

Seeing footage in full english more and more, wish they would release it early :(

I can't for the life of me figure out why. 5 hours in no bugs/glitches/ or issues. If they REALLY did push it back for polish it HAD to be with their netcode. But as I stated before the network test was pretty smooth. So this could totally just be NB pushing it back for <Insert Random BS Publisher Reason Here>

JohnTonne

It's ridiculous, February 24 is a shit show for anime style games, dunno what their plan was with this release date.

DW8 Empires
Under Night in Birth
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Hyperdevotion Noire

Xenoverse is my number one for sure and the others will have to wait, but man, I would have liked them to spread these out a bit better...

I've done a ton of posting getting information on how to play it early for Xbox One, so thanks to all of those for their help. I'm successfully playing at the moment.

Let me contribute by talking about the actual game. It's incredible...even better than what I expected. The currency and RPG / progression system is fantastic. It's everything I've wanted from a DBZ game. I pray that this is expanded further in a sequel. I'll definitely be buying this one again on PS4 (for the larger community).

While I don't see this becoming majorly competitive, it has a significant level of depth that'll satisfy more experienced fighter players, especially when you factor in end-game builds with attributes and skills. Anyway, I'm off to explore this game some more.

Revven

I've done a ton of posting getting information on how to play it early for Xbox One, so thanks to all of those for their help. I'm successfully playing at the moment.

Let me contribute by talking about the actual game. It's incredible...even better than what I expected. The currency and RPG / progression system is fantastic. It's everything I've wanted from a DBZ game. I pray that this is expanded further in a sequel. I'll definitely be buying this one again on PS4 (for the larger community).

While I don't see this becoming majorly competitive, it has a significant level of depth that'll satisfy more experienced fighter players, especially when you factor in end-game builds with attributes and skills. Anyway, I'm off to explore this game some more.

Oh man positive GAF impressions, I'm slowly getting more hyped. :D

Varna

Do these guys have any experience with the PC? If the gameplay is halfway decent I would be very interested... but I know lots of Japanese PC ports have all kinds of bad... quirks.

To those playing outside of Japan with the eng version already, doesnt LIVE know that you are downloading the eng version before its street date? Is it not possible that many bans will be handed out since so many are DL a game before its actual release date?

I just dont want to see people in trouble over there in US :(

I think this new DBZ game is missing some of the features of previous games like Budokai 3 planet destruction:

0.jpg

It's kinda underwhelming to launch a huge attack in Xenoverse and see nothing happen. No huge crater or explosion.

I think this new DBZ game is missing some of the features of previous games like Budokai 3 planet destruction:

0.jpg

It's kinda underwhelming to launch a huge attack in Xenoverse and see nothing happen. No huge crater or explosion.

Yeah from what I am seeing there is definite room for visual improvements like that. But they seem to have created a solid core foundation to build off of during this generation. I'm torn man because so much is coming out in March and I just know I'll be getting The Order. Don't think I can get 3 full 60$ titles in a months timeframe. Wife just won't allow that nonsense! But this looks really deep and cool with the player building and customization and its a unique story within the DBZ universe in a game finally. It looks solid!

May have to pray that I can get this off Gamefly or something.

0.jpg

The game could definitely have better destruction but I don't want them to bring crap like planet destruction back. All the cinematic stuff that pauses gameplay can go die in a fire.

Yeah from what I am seeing there is definite room for visual improvements like that. But they seem to have created a solid core foundation to build off of during this generation. I'm torn man because so much is coming out in March and I just know I'll be getting The Order. Don't think I can get 3 full 60$ titles in a months timeframe. Wife just won't allow that nonsense! But this looks really deep and cool with the player building and customization and its a unique story within the DBZ universe in a game finally. It looks solid!

May have to pray that I can get this off Gamefly or something.

Imo, The Order seems like the better rental game. Not because it's lesser or anything, but I imagine most of the enjoyment will be garnered from a single playthrough, whereas Xenoverse will have more life due to the online / community.

Revven

The game could definitely have better destruction but I don't want them to bring crap like planet destruction back. All the cinematic stuff that pauses gameplay can go die in a fire.

That's why there's no planet destruction in the first place, Dimps doesn't want cutscene attacks anymore in their fighters and that was one of the design decisions in this game where they basically said they didn't want cutscenes that paused the action for all players. It'd be really bad for 3v3, probably make it almost unplayable if they had cutscene based actions going on.

That's why there's no planet destruction in the first place, Dimps doesn't want cutscene attacks anymore in their fighters and that was one of the design decisions in this game where they basically said they didn't want cutscenes that paused the action for all players. .

Really?

Revven

Yes, one of the goals with the game when they revealed it was that they wanted to make it seem like the player wasn't detached from the action on-screen. That they performed the attack(s) and weren't having control taken away from them all of the sudden. But they still wanted to make the attacks look cool so they made it so the special camera angles and the like for some attacks only affect the player who performed the move -- everyone else can freely move around, block, etc.

Previous Dimps DBZ games like Burst Limit and the Shin Budokai games also strayed away from cutscene supers. It's a design decision they made.

I can't explain why the visual effects for stuff like Spirit Bomb and Beerus' ultimate, when they finish, are underwhelming other than perhaps the last gen versions of the game are holding them back. Wouldn't surprise me considering I've heard those versions have framerate drops sometimes so if they were already getting dips in framerate with how things currently are for those versions I'm not surprised they didn't go nuts with visual effects/explosions for those ultimates.

Omni

To those playing outside of Japan with the eng version already, doesnt LIVE know that you are downloading the eng version before its street date? Is it not possible that many bans will be handed out since so many are DL a game before its actual release date?

This is probably the biggest reason why I'm not trying it. Also you don't get the preorder bonuses if you buy it digitally, right?

Staggered release dates are so silly though.

Live has to know. If they don't they will soon. Who knows how they are going to react to this. I'm thinking they might pull the licensees of everyone who bought it BUT if they do that NamBan is going to have to explain why the full game was up on live almost a full month before release when they claim to have delayed the game to make changes to it. Might not be something NamBan want's to deal with.

Mengetsu

Yes, one of the goals with the game when they revealed it was that they wanted to make it seem like the player wasn't detached from the action on-screen. That they performed the attack(s) and weren't having control taken away from them all of the sudden. But they still wanted to make the attacks look cool so they made it so the special camera angles and the like for some attacks only affect the player who performed the move -- everyone else can freely move around, block, etc.

Previous Dimps DBZ games like Burst Limit and the Shin Budokai games also strayed away from cutscene supers. It's a design decision they made.

I can't explain why the visual effects for stuff like Spirit Bomb and Beerus' ultimate, when they finish, are underwhelming other than perhaps the last gen versions of the game are holding them back. Wouldn't surprise me considering I've heard those versions have framerate drops sometimes so if they were already getting dips in framerate with how things currently are for those versions I'm not surprised they didn't go nuts with visual effects/explosions for those ultimates.

Shame..The reason why I loved the older games was because of that. With the destruction of the stages post mega attack it really felt like playing the show. It's why I love CC2 and the way they handle the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. They way they blend the moves/specials while fighting is glorious. Could you Imagine CC2 getting their hands on DBZ licence and having the fights in the story play out as good as this? I think I could never ask for a DBZ game again. But I guess I could understand people not liking this.

Revven

Shame..The reason why I loved the older games was because of that. With the destruction of the stages post mega attack it really felt like playing the show. It's why I love CC2 and the way they handle the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. They way they blend the moves/specials while fighting is glorious. Could you Imagine CC2 getting their hands on DBZ licence and having the fights in the story play out as good as this? I think I could never ask for a DBZ game again. But I guess I could understand people not liking this.

Bamco doesn't seem to want CC2 to do anything but Naruto. :/

I'd be interested in CC2's take on it but I feel they're chained to Naruto, even if Storm 4 is supposedly the last Storm game they could still do a new Naruto series of games at Bamco's command.

But I much prefer Dimps for these games in the long run.

If CC2 got their hands on the DBZ license then I would mail a week old rhino turd to namco's offices. Leave DBZ in Dimps or even Spike's hands please. CC2 needs to just go make movies because their games are brain-dead.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember people saying Appule and Raspberry were included because they'd represent multiple "mooks" through their Alt Costumes, but I just see cheap color changes. :/

You know if they wanted a mook like Appule, why not use Cui? He actually did something and was somewhat of a character. This seriously annoys me, and I'm the type to defend Dark Pit.

Shy

so just to confirm.
the character creator doesn't let you choose different skin tones, does it. ?

Live has to know. If they don't they will soon. Who knows how they are going to react to this. I'm thinking they might pull the licensees of everyone who bought it BUT if they do that NamBan is going to have to explain why the full game was up on live almost a full month before release when they claim to have delayed the game to make changes to it. Might not be something NamBan want's to deal with.

The closest thing to the quote is "delaying to deliver the best possible experience" that could mean many things. I have read that the servers arent up for players on the ENG version atm. maybe they are fixing up the servers due to some unforseen bug.

Has anything like this happened in the past where live simply revoked licenses or banned? I have not witnessed a situation like this before.

Revven

Oh, cool, so I could probably make a Kaio-looking character?

Yeah, you could. There's even Kai clothes in the game you can unlock, not sure how many there are but I've seen at least Supreme Kai's clothes. I'm sure there are more like that.

so i can be a brown saiyan. ?
cause that's awesome if true.

There's a whole range of colors you can pick, pretty sure brown is in there somewhere.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, you could. There's even Kai clothes in the game you can unlock, not sure how many there are but I've seen at least Supreme Kai's clothes. I'm sure there are more like that.

Cool. If they ever make Xenoverse 2, Kaio along with Android is a race I'd like to see added (although I guess 'Kaio' being a race wouldn't make much sense canon-wise since there's only a limited amount of them, but whatever).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Has anything like this happened in the past where live simply revoked licenses or banned? I have not witnessed a situation like this before.

There were times on 360 where games came out a few days early (I remember fondly with KoF 2k2 UM). Most of the time, all online activities were inaccessible until the Day 1 stuff came online. Noone got in trouble with early downloads, but early store copies sometimes made issues.

Strider on Xbox One went up early by about a week, because the game had to be available for press to download, but the links were to be inactive. However, people were able to access the game by finding a press person with play history, and launching download from that.

After 2 or 3 days, Microsoft made the game inactive until release day. But otherwise, they didn't force a file delete or anything. Wouldn't be surprised if something like that eventually happens here.

There were times on 360 where games came out a few days early (I remember fondly with KoF 2k2 UM). Most of the time, all online activities were inaccessible until the Day 1 stuff came online. Noone got in trouble with early downloads, but early store copies sometimes made issues.

Strider on Xbox One went up early by about a week, because the game had to be available for press to download, but the links were to be inactive. However, people were able to access the game by finding a press person with play history, and launching download from that.

After 2 or 3 days, Microsoft made the game inactive until release day. But otherwise, they didn't force a file delete or anything. Wouldn't be surprised if something like that eventually happens here.

This is a pretty good point. I didn't think about those instances until you brought them up.

Oni3298

Glad to hear you got it working!

I will be double dipping myself and replaying everything on a new CAC on PS4 as well. I can say I agree with with you wholeheartedly and am really enjoying the game. Its the most I've liked/enjoyed a Dragonball game since Budokai 3. I truly hope this gets a worthy sequel with some nice additions and more features. Oh, and its really pretty as well.

I wouldn't be too worried about anything being a bannable offense. End of the day, this isn't a hack or breach in anyway. It is an exploit of their own system, and money was still exchanged. Worst i could see them doing is to make the game unplayable till it actually releases, if they can actually do that.

Bottom line, not worried about it.

Dereck

0.jpg

That screen is from Tenkaichi 3, don't know if you knew this.

And, real-time destruction > cutscene destruction, cutscene destruction was contrived and a little bland. Any big attack could cause it, after awhile the novelty of it wore off. I think consoles/PC are powerful to handle realtime destruction, too bad no developer is going to implement it. I have high hopes for the next ESF iteration.

Alienous

0.jpg

Maybe if Bandai Namco allowed a single team to iterate on their game design in a sequel we would see that kind of progression. But every Dragon Ball game of the last half-decade or so has been killed in its Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi stage of the series.

It really bothers me that the GT characters have stats way higher than the BoG characters and in context of the entire roster their stats seem stupidly unbalanced.

Last gen compatability most likely scaled down some of the battles we could have had, the arenas for example, lot's of invisible walls when the game could have really worked well with areas 4 times the size.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to execute a "follow up" attack? By that I mean, knocking people away, and immediately teleporting or flying to them, and knocking once or twice more?

If I had a big criticism so far, it's that the game doesn't explain it's own systems in any detail, if at all.

EGOMON

Meh never did like Toei turning Goku into a Pink Panther Furry.

Well they do turn into furry great apes, it is only logical to have a transformation close to their super form actually SSJ4 makes sense more than SSJ3 i mean removing eyebrows and increase hair length x10 to convey evolution is kinda weird

Well they do turn into furry great apes, it is only logical to have a transformation close to their super form actually SSJ4 makes sense more than SSJ3 i mean removing eyebrows and increase hair length x10 to convey evolution is kinda weird
Ssj4 is best ssj and should become canon cause honestly, its the best. Ssj god is lamest of then all, what a disappointment that form turned out to be. This is not up for debate(especially that last part about ssj god).

Who is that cac that everyone keeps talking about? Is it that nickname vegeta gave goku or what?

EGOMON

Ssj4 is best ssj and should become canon cause honestly, its the best. Ssj god is lamest of then all, what a disappointment that form turned out to be. This is not up for debate(especially that last part about ssj god).

Who is that cac that everyone keeps talking about? Is it that nickname vegeta gave goku or what?
I couldn't agree more bro, SSJ4 is freakin awesome, that moment when Goku transformed because of Pan's tears was so emotional followed by the badassery Goku SSj4 showed.

If am not mistaken, cac means create-a-character

Phloxy

After a weekend of playing versus a.i and with my buddy, I will say even though there are some rough edges at spots, its absolutely much better than the last 3 or 4 DBZ games they have made. Actual real effort went into this game, and to see the hub tower have actual major group chat functionality, a suite of emotes and ways to group up, ways to play offline and still do quests, or just do matchmaking for the major quests, it actually puts Destiny's tower to shame.

Omni

Eh. It doesn't really make sense

I mean I like the transformation but why does it give a power up that's greater than SSJ3? Always seemed a bit ridiculous to me. Well... GT as a whole did xD

Top Bottom