• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Alienous

A total of 8 can be created. You have to beat the story mode first to unlock the other 7 slots, though.

Full character roster + all alternate outfits by SergioM3!

Edit: Ginyu has a Goku alt oh my GOD, FINALLY, WE CAN PLAY AS SCOUTER GOKU OUTSIDE STORY MODE!! And Goku has a Ginyu alt oh my word.

Those aren't alts, they're character variations. You can see the stats changing. As I understand it their movelists also vary. It's like every iteration of Goku, or Vegeta, throughout the series; one Goku'll have Kaioken, another with be able to go Super Saiyan, one Vegeta will have the Big Bang Attack, another won't, etc.

Everyone can use kaoken but the saiyans can also go one step above with super saiyan, not too sure what extras the other races have right now.

Revven

Those aren't alts, they're character variations. You can see the stats changing. As I understand it their movelists also vary. It's like every iteration of Goku, or Vegeta, throughout the series; one Goku'll have Kaioken, another with be able to go Super Saiyan, one Vegeta will have the Big Bang Attack, another won't, etc.

Oh no I knew all that. I wasn't sure what you'd call them exactly seeing as they (in some cases) are wearing a different outfit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
A total of 8 can be created. You have to beat the story mode first to unlock the other 7 slots, though.

So I can have both male and female Human/Saiyan/Buu, as well as a Namekian and Freezian. Good.

No, you have about 4 specials, each one being one of the four face buttons on the controller (you have to be holding R2 beforehand to get the menu of your specials up I believe). Those four special moves range anywhere from Kamehameha to a counter to something that powers you up (like a Great Saiyman's pose) to Ki volley moves. You can make those 4 specials whatever you want, so you could have Kamehameha and Galick Gun on your custom character if you wanted but the normal characters like Goku and Vegeta have pre-set move sets.

However, those characters have tons of different alts so when you select an alternate costume not only is the costume different but their move set also differs. So, if you pick Goku with his shirt completely ripped off he has 3x Kaioken in his move set instead of whatever he might have had before. It's not just one move that changes, of course. This is how characters get their transformations as well. So, if you pick Halo Goku he has Super Saiyan 2 as his transformation.

The way transformations work in this game is that they count as an ultimate slot. There's two ultimate slots per character and you don't need a previous transformation to transform into the next. For example, you don't need SSJ to transform into SSJ2, you only need to equip SSJ2 to transform into SSJ2. So, for your custom character you can either have two ultimates or one ultimate and one transformation (the choice between SSJ or SSJ2, basically). The original characters have transformations based on their alternate costume chosen, you cannot change the original character's move sets.

But these alternate costumes, while they may seem redundant and superfluous (why not just let us change the moves) they actually have different stats from each other. For example, the ripped shirt Goku from the Saiyan saga has a lot more stamina than the default Goku. This is so he can use Kaioken for a longer period of time. He has a slightly smaller Ki bar in this outfit as well. And, of course, the other stats differ but those are the main two that are immediately noticeable upon first glance.

As a result, the alternate costumes are like entirely new characters except the character does not get any new combos or melee strings, they keep the same strings as their default costume. Therefore, they don't actually count as new characters.

Anyway, I hope that made sense. To sum up, if you're a custom character you can customize their move set however you want but if you're an original character you can't and you have to pick a different alt. costume to use whatever form and moves you want. If you want SSJ3 Goku there's two alts that have that each with different moves and stats. If you want SSJ Goku there's also a pair of alts that have it each with different moves and stats from the original Goku.

Right, I get it now. That actually sounds pretty awesome to be honest. I knew about the alt costumes having abilities based on the point in DBZ that they wore that costume, but didn't know how in depth they went with it.

So it's 4 special moves and 2 ultimate moves per character, with transformations being an ultimate move, which you can skip between, i.e. you can just go straight to SSJ2 as Goku? Got it, thanks for that.

Each race has it's pros and cons (it tells you what they are when you are selecting your race). The Saiyans had higher attack but lower Stamina (at least I'm pretty sure it's Stam) the Frieza race has a teleport and something else. It seems as if they really did want to add a bit of flavor to each of the races and not just make them cosmetic Also I'm pretty sure there is male and female versions of all the races EXCEPT the Freiza one. I'm about 95% sure there is only one race for them. (That 5% chance is that it's the Namekians, one of the races was one gender only and I'm thinking it was the purple Frieza race icon hence the 95/5)

Revven

Right, I get it now. That actually sounds pretty awesome to be honest. I knew about the alt costumes having abilities based on the point in DBZ that they wore that costume, but didn't know how in depth they went with it.

So it's 4 special moves and 2 ultimate moves per character, with transformations being an ultimate move, which you can skip between, i.e. you can just go straight to SSJ2 as Goku? Got it, thanks for that.

Yep, if the Goku you pick has SSJ2 then that's the form you transform into when you transform.

cyrok

The biggest issue I've had with Dragonball games in the past is that the online is so laggy and non functional. Have the other recent DB games had similar issues? Because If so, I may just hold off on it until a few reviews come out, rather than just pre-ordering it

Dominator

I know I probably missed this but which Dragon Ball game does this play the most like? Budokai games were really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the Tenkaichi games as well. I think Battle of Z and Ultimate Tenkaichi were weak.

Hopefully it plays like something I liked lol, or its a whole new style.

The biggest issue I've had with Dragonball games in the past is that the online is so laggy and non functional. Have the other recent DB games had similar issues? Because If so, I may just hold off on it until a few reviews come out, rather than just pre-ordering it

If the final game is as good as the network test this shouldn't be an issue. a friend of mine was in it and I went to his place to play a couple online games and didn't have much if any lag (a bit here and there but it was a stress test) but it was pretty uncommon.

Revven

So far from what I've been watching this game's netcode looks pretty solid -- I haven't seen PvP yet but online co-op looks smooth. DBZ games prior to this did not have very good netcode but this one looks like it should be fine but we'll get a better idea when it comes out in the US and it has to deal with connections from wider distances.

I know I probably missed this but which Dragon Ball game does this play the most like? Budokai games were really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the Tenkaichi games as well. I think Battle of Z and Ultimate Tenkaichi were weak.

Hopefully it plays like something I liked lol, or its a whole new style.

It's a mix of Budokai and Tenkaichi. You have a punch and a kick button, actual fighting game mechanics are present (like parrying, cross-ups even though there's a block button, your guard can be broken if you get to zero stamina, etc.), and the free form 3D movement featured in the Tenkaichis (which is arguably better in this game). It's the best of both worlds, basically.

Dominator

It's a mix of Budokai and Tenkaichi. You have a punch and a kick button, actual fighting game mechanics are present (like parrying, cross-ups even though there's a block button, your guard can be broken if you get to zero stamina, etc.), and the free form 3D movement featured in the Tenkaichis (which is arguably better in this game). It's the best of both worlds, basically.
Oh my... Day 1 buy, I'm going off of your word Revven. But I'm sure I'll enjoy it haha

As far as mechanics go, this sounds like what the Tenkaichi games should have been. Trying to resist the urge to get it off of JP PSN...

I really hope there's a cool part in the created character story where you transform, rather than just unlock the skill, equip it and casually transform from there onwards.

Can anyone confirm if the Hong Kong thing on XB1 still works? What does the third point about "billing info" mean. Are you required to have an HK address? I'm tempted to do the workaround now, rather than wait until the 26th of Feb.

cyrok

So far from what I've been watching this game's netcode looks pretty solid -- I haven't seen PvP yet but online co-op looks smooth. DBZ games prior to this did not have very good netcode but this one looks like it should be fine but we'll get a better idea when it comes out in the US and it has to deal with connections from wider distances.

Thanks for the responses. Even without the online the game looks right up my ally. Really wanted to play the beta didn't get a chance.

Edit: Ginyu has a Goku alt oh my GOD, FINALLY, WE CAN PLAY AS SCOUTER GOKU OUTSIDE STORY MODE!! And Goku has a Ginyu alt oh my word.

Dayuum they gave all the GT characters Godly stats compared to the actual God characters. Good on Dimps for realizing that even if GT was terrible, Super Saiyan 4 trumps cat-dude and kaio-ken recolor Goku.

The costumes seem a bit weird. We know that the Kai outfits are in (such as Gohan wore on Supreme Kai's planet) and that Goku's GT costume is in and yet they make no appearance here and then Videl and Kid Trunks have their Movie 10 outfits.

For a future game I would actually quite enjoy custom slots for mainline characters wherein we can give them custom costumes and attacks (from their own pool, not giving Dabura a Special Beam Cannon). That being said it's also weird that not every evil variation on the select screen.

Revven

The costumes seem a bit weird. We know that the Kai outfits are in (such as Gohan wore on Supreme Kai's planet) and that Goku's GT costume is in and yet they make no appearance here and then Videl and Kid Trunks have their Movie 10 outfits.

For a future game I would actually quite enjoy custom slots for mainline characters wherein we can give them custom costumes and attacks (from their own pool, not giving Dabura a Special Beam Cannon). That being said it's also weird that not every evil variation on the select screen.

I think there's two evil versions, I haven't watched any story stuff (avoiding it like the plague so I can enjoy it when I buy it) so this might be wrong but one type is where the character is just being controlled by Towa (so characters we've seen that have just red eyes and a dark aura like Android 17 and 18 don't have those as alts because they have the same special moves, just beefed up stats). While the other type we've seen with Gotenks, Frieza, Cell, etc are made full-on evil somehow and have different special moves in some cases (like I know for a fact evil Cell has different specials).

But that's just speculation on my part for excluding the less-evil-looking-forms.

Oni3298

Got the english Xbox One version, even though I'm buying the PS4 version as well...

The thought of playing it this weekend instead of in like 3 weeks was too appealing.

Enjoying it so far, and will probably replay all of it on PS4 again.

Got the english Xbox One version, even though I'm buying the PS4 version as well...

The thought of playing it this weekend instead of in like 3 weeks was too appealing.

Enjoying it so far, and will probably replay all of it on PS4 again.

You just followed the instructions from the last page? Everything still works? Out of curiosity, did you get your HK Xbox live card from Play-asia? I might do this ANND get it on PS4 later as well.

You just followed the instructions from the last page? Everything still works? Out of curiosity, did you get your HK Xbox live card from Play-asia? I might do this ANND get it on PS4 later as well.

I did the same thing.. worked perfectly.

Game is pretty fun, but I'll probably get it on the PC when that is available.

I did the same thing.. worked perfectly.

Game is pretty fun, but I'll probably get it on the PC when that is available.

When you download it from the Honk Kong marketplace, do you have to download the full game, or do you just begin the initial download, THEN delete and switch over to the English region / redownload?

When you download it from the Honk Kong marketplace, do you have to download the full game, or do you just begin the initial download, THEN delete and switch over to the English region / redownload?

I downloaded the whole thing, then started the game.

I think you have to finish the download and run the game once in HK mode for it to work.

That puts it in your game library and you'll simply have an "install" option for the game when you change your console back to your own region.

Female Majin is my favorite so far =) I have this game for PC & XBOX ONE Is anyone else having it for these platforms?

I want to face challenging opponents ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

If I buy this early from the HK store, what sort of billing adress do I need to add? guessing it has to be a HK residence?

*edit* scratch that, two lots of 300 HKD is way too expensive for the time being, this doesn't work with a japanese purchase I take it?

DrDogg

Some articles for people looking for more information on the game. I'll try to break down the game from a competitive fighting game standpoint, but I'm not sure how deep it'll go. There's room for more in-depth strategies, but I'll need more time with the game before I can say it offers more depth than the previous DB games (aside from Super DBZ).

Either way, I'll have more articles on the way as I spend more time with the game:

Race Comparison - http://www.primagames.com/games/dragon-ball-xenoverse/feature/dragon-ball-xenoverse-race-comparison

Combat System - http://www.primagames.com/games/dra...agon-ball-z-xenoverse-combat-system-breakdown

Best Powers (based on the beta only) - http://www.primagames.com/games/dragon-ball-xenoverse/feature/best-powers-dragon-ball-xenoverse

Some articles for people looking for more information on the game. I'll try to break down the game from a competitive fighting game standpoint, but I'm not sure how deep it'll go. There's room for more in-depth strategies, but I'll need more time with the game before I can say it offers more depth than the previous DB games (aside from Super DBZ).

Either way, I'll have more articles on the way as I spend more time with the game:

Race Comparison - http://www.primagames.com/games/dragon-ball-xenoverse/feature/dragon-ball-xenoverse-race-comparison

Combat System - http://www.primagames.com/games/dra...agon-ball-z-xenoverse-combat-system-breakdown

Best Powers (based on the beta only) - http://www.primagames.com/games/dragon-ball-xenoverse/feature/best-powers-dragon-ball-xenoverse
Thank you very much

*edit* wow ok there's a lot more then meets the eye with the classes, this is really cool.

Oni3298

Yea, I actually did it yesterday evening. I was fortunate enough to be talking with a guy on a stream chat who was the first guy to actually figure out this exploit, and it worked pretty well. If you've got the extra change and want to play the game almost a full three weeks before its release, albeit only on Xbox One, then you just gotta pony up for a HK card from play-asia and buy it from the HK region. Download and install the full game, run it, then delete it and switch you region back and you should be able to go re-install it with the NA version.

Yea, I actually did it yesterday evening. I was fortunate enough to be talking with a guy on a stream chat who was the first guy to actually figure out this exploit, and it worked pretty well. If you've got the extra change and want to play the game almost a full three weeks before its release, albeit only on Xbox One, then you just gotta pony up for a HK card from play-asia and buy it from the HK region. Download and install the full game, run it, then delete it and switch you region back and you should be able to go re-install it with the NA version.

Thanks for the reply. I just signed up, purchased and did the whole verification process with Play-asia. Currently downloading now, genuinely surprised it's only 9gig. Very much looking forward to play this later today.

Oni3298

Not in english, anyway. The XBO exploit works because of how XBL works, I believe.

You're absolutely right. Because Xbox live accounts are global, you can just change your region and you'll be able to gain access to any games you bought/downloaded on your same account.

With PSN, accounts are actually split per region, so there's no way to trick PSN into downloading the NA version after purchasing a version from a different region.

Just to cover what a few of the others have said. There were three people last night on gamefaqs who spent the better part of 8 hours trying to get it working on PS4 and none of them could get it work. As a few others have said the running theory is it's because of how PSN differs from XBL in that on XB1 you can simply change the region of your xbox (not messing with your actual account) so you can download the NA version.

Alric

Ah man, they almost never put the Yardrat Goku costume in. I love that oufit. Still, lots of choices.

6ab7956e59cd4069b6cc373068f434a6.jpg

Lucumo

Seems like he is still missing a character though (should be SSJ4 Vegeta). Because something should push every character one to the right.
DBZ.png

You were definitely right on that one. Updated the character screen.

DBZAC3JR.png

I downloaded the whole thing, then started the game.

I think you have to finish the download and run the game once in HK mode for it to work.

That puts it in your game library and you'll simply have an "install" option for the game when you change your console back to your own region.

I just read this and properly internalised it (I think). I have to download the entire game twice? Once for the HK version, and again for the English one? That blows = /.

Revven

Yep, just compared it. Weird, that he didn't notice.

Probably because he can't unlock him even though he modified the game to get everyone. He has Jaco because it's the Japanese digital version which I think comes with it automatically.

Top Bottom