• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Revven

Do you guys like the fact that going super saiyan is limited?

Yes, it makes transformations actually seem important to the game and, also, keeps them balanced. One thing the Budokai games always did right was the transformation system. The way Tenkaichi (and Raging Blast) handled it basically made it so there was no drawback to transforming other than maybe getting moves you don't want or whatever -- which isn't really much of a drawback at all. This left characters like Krillin and the other humans at a disadvantage, or even any characters that only had one or no transformation.

Makes it more of an even-playing field.

The only things that disappointment me is that only Saiyans can transform while the other races only get Kaioken.

Another irritant for me is when CACs go SSJ, their hair doesn't really change other than turning gold and having green eyes.

Anyone on XB1 can play this game right now in full English voices and text. This was posted on gamefaqs TC is streaming right now on twitch

Step:1 change region to hong kong
2.redeem your HK market points [sadly you gotta grab a 600HK card] 75-83 bucks
3.before download make sure you have a billing info
4 download it off the HK market
5. WHEN FINISHED DELETE IT
6.RESTORE XBOX TO NORMAL ENG SETTINGS
7.now click manage game over the download queue
8. you will notice it says install even for it says feb 24th
9. if the loading screen has no Chinese letters on it then you did it

here is the stream

http://www.twitch.tv/nycsp0oks

It looks like there is a glitch in XBL and it's letting users download the FULL english version of the game if they buy the HK version. Again hes' streaming and has been for about an hour as proof of this working.

I like it. With the older games (for me at least) it would basically be like "ok well first I have to transform" instead of just fighting and eventually transforming.

I also really like the mechanic where transformation = unlimited special attacks. Now that I've seen that you can actually retain your form by charging up (which is an equipped move in itself) it makes for different playstyles. Also, as weird as it is to basically pick which transformation you'll have (like only Super Saiyan 2) it's way better than taking forever to charge your bar 3 times to get to the correct level

I totally understand why some people are skeptical/unhappy with the choice just because it sort of distances it from the source material, but as a fighting game it makes more sense.

I basically just want the game to have more to it than fanservice, and the combat system seems interesting with how supers/stamina work and parries. As opposed to Jump Stars VS+ being awesome for being on PS4 and having YYH characters, but looking shallow as fuck
RB2 had this right, you could choose your transformation, but you would have them all to choose from as long as they were unlocked, you could even choose which moves you could use in each transformation before the match..

only being able to transform to one transformation is super limited, but whatever.

the problem in this game is that there are some OP no escape moves that if spammed eat a mega ton of health if a character is high leveled..thats another reason the CAC leveling thing will be a pain, i hate grinding for levels, give me back my items that i can purchase or unlock to use across different characters.

Anyone on XB1 can play this game right now in full English voices and text. This was posted on gamefaqs TC is streaming right now on twitch

here is the stream

It looks like there is a glitch in XBL and it's letting users download the FULL english version of the game if they buy the HK version. Again hes' streaming and has been for about an hour as proof of this working.
well i'll be..So the game was already translated? Hon Kong usually translates games to english too, but i didn't think they released it over there with Japans release date..

Revven

RB2 had this right, you could choose your transformation, but you would have them all, you could even choose which moves you could use in each transformation..

the problem in this game is that there are some OP no escape moves that if spammed eat a mega ton of health if a character is high leveled..thats another reason the CAC leveling thing will be a pain, i hate grinding for levels, give me back my items that i can purchase or unlock to use across different characters.

Not only that but there was no reason not to transform in RB2 other than if you wanted to keep your base form moves. Everything about the next transformation was an immediate buff -- your attack, defense, etc. You'd only be limiting yourself if you didn't transform in that game. So it made characters like Yamcha and others without transformations, by default, at a disadvantage.

Here, those characters stand a chance because the transformation can only last so long even if you have Ki charge -- you can certainly force a situation where the transformation runs out for them and not give them a chance to charge Ki.

Not only that but there was no reason not to transform in RB2 other than if you wanted to keep your base form moves. Everything about the next transformation was an immediate buff -- your attack, defense, etc. You'd only be limiting yourself if you didn't transform in that game. So it made characters like Yamcha and others without transformations, by default, at a disadvantage.

Here, those characters stand a chance because the transformation can only last so long even if you have Ki charge -- you can certainly force a situation where the transformation runs out for them and not give them a chance to charge Ki.

As it should be, why should krillin easily beat a super saiyan 2 Goku? because balance?

And if you itemized your characters right, anyone could win with anyone, not to mention trying to transform would open you up to an ultimate without fail if the other player was ready, its just another form of fanservice, not to mention ever character had a buff that powered them up long enough to turn the tide.

people seem ready to accept any limitation this game throws at them -__- but i'll agree to disagree, i can only speak for me..
I play mostly single player, not being able to switch between forms during a me against all of the androids team match just sounds lame.

Do you guys like the fact that going super saiyan is limited?

I get the idea but it really is a worthless attempt to balance the game when you can just charge your ki back up (extremely fast) to stay in it and a lot of characters can't transform so they are still way weaker. And then you got Super Saiyan characters that don't have base forms so why even make it limited?

RB2 had this right, you could choose your transformation, but you would have them all to choose from as long as they were unlocked, you could even choose which moves you could use in each transformation before the match..

only being able to transform to one transformation is super limited, but whatever.

well i'll be..So the game was already translated? Hon Kong usually translates games to english too, but i didn't think they released it over there with Japans release date..

Not exactly. When you change your region back to US it lets you download the full NA version of the game. You are no longer playing the HK version but the full blown US version. I've been watching the stream for about an hour and a half and it's legit. He's still streaming. You can tell its the us version since it's all the correct US VAs

Not exactly. When you change your region back to US it lets you download the full NA version of the game. You are no longer playing the HK version but the full blown US version. I've been watching the stream for about an hour and a half and it's legit. He's still streaming. You can tell its the us version since it's all the correct US VAs

so the game is done and they've got folks waiting because?
Probably won't work for PS4 or PS3, hopefully people datamine the crap out of it.

so the game is done and they've got folks waiting because?
Probably won't work for PS4 or PS3, hopefully people datamine the crap out of it.

Correct. The game is 100% finished and already uploaded onto XBL servers. We don't know why it's not out yet other than perhaps production/shipping issues. The guy has been playing with ZERO slowdowns that i've noticed and everything is working perfectly. Online doesn't work yet as the servers aren't up yet. But everything else is fantastic.

So far have heard nothing but good impressions from those playing ( who speak English ). Finally looks like another good DBZ game was made

Revven

Whoah, 60 FPS? Suddenly, I'm interested. Still bummed it's a Tenkaichi-style game, though.

It's not Tenkaichi-style in the sense that it has Budokai's combat system, i.e a punch and a kick button as well as other more traditional fighting game mechanics. All it takes from Tenkaichi is the free form 3D movement.

So far have heard nothing but good impressions from those playing ( who speak English ). Finally looks like another good DBZ game was made

The guy streaming has said multiple times that he's loving it. The gameplay looks so smooth, and my god, I cannot begin to tell everyone how good the audio is. The voice work was clearly redone and the music is fantastic. They clearly put some time into this localization.

Omni

here is the stream

Tempting.

Revven

No Dabura?

if CC2 can add the entire Naruto cast than why cant we finally get a full T3+ 10 guys missing?

Because this game doesn't have one button for melee strings like the Naruto games do... Each character has unique melee strings/animations + an actual combo list per character. They don't copy/paste animations across characters like Spike did with BT3. Also, you're comparing the third game in a series to a first game in the series. BT1 had about the same amount of characters as this game has and they copy/pasted entire fighting styles + only had one melee string to get that roster and that's not even including the amount of supers were recycled on every character in BT1.

chaosaeon

I'm still on the fence. Please let someone mod the PC version with some Falconer tracks and take the extra drawn lines out of the SS hair. And maybe change the weird character lighting with the white patches over all the edges. It looks really weird to me and not like the show at all. Looks more like a picture from a coloring book where someone was afraid of going outside the lines and it reminds me of budokai 3 HD in a bad way. For those of you playing it, can you confirm if you can turn the huge yellow targeting circle off so you can actually see who youre fighting ?

I'm still on the fence. Please let someone mod the PC version with some Falconer tracks and take the extra drawn lines out of the SS hair. And maybe change the weird character lighting with the white patches over all the edges. It looks really weird to me and not like the show at all. Looks more like a picture from a coloring book where someone was afraid of going outside the lines and it reminds me of budokai 3 HD in a bad way. For those of you playing it, can you confirm if you can turn the huge yellow targeting circle off so you can actually see who youre fighting ?
Wait? Falconer music isn't in the game already? I just assumed the Japan release would have their audio and US would get Falconer.

Wait? Falconer music isn't in the game already? I just assumed the Japan release would have their audio and US would get Falconer.

I've got the US version downloading now. I'll report back to let ya know what music it has. I didn't have it up very loud when I was listening to the stream earlier as I was at work so I couldn't tell the music.

FootballFan

I've got the US version downloading now. I'll report back to let ya know what music it has. I didn't have it up very loud when I was listening to the stream earlier as I was at work so I couldn't tell the music.

Did you use that method mentioned earlier to get it now?

Jealous! :(

Let us know your thoughts on it

I've done the first mission
You help Piccolo and Goku fight off a super power Raditz
and the music didn't sound like Faulconer but then again it wasn't very loud (I tried turning it up but that didn't help much). I wouldn't swear that it's not him. But I'm leaning towards not.

here is the stream

Looks like the delay had absolutely nothing to do with quality control, and simply avoiding the New 3DS / Zelda / Monter Hunter 4 releases in EU / U.S.

I don't recall any of the DBZ games having the licensed music. Sadly, I think it's the same for most, if not all of the Naruto games. I think it's a licensing thing. Pretty shitty.

Looks like the delay had absolutely nothing to do with quality control, and simply avoiding the New 3DS / Zelda / Monter Hunter 4 releases in EU / U.S.

Sad to say it but I think you are right. They were clearly avoiding something. I've ran around for over an hour on my own game. Spent over 2 hours watching the other guys steam (the finder of this) and didn't see a single glitch/bug/issue.

I've done the first mission
You help Piccolo and Goku fight off a super power Raditz
and the music didn't sound like Faulconer but then again it wasn't very loud (I tried turning it up but that didn't help much). I wouldn't swear that it's not him. But I'm leaning towards not.

I don't recall any of the DBZ games having the licensed music. Sadly, I think it's the same for most, if not all of the Naruto games. I think it's a licensing thing. Pretty shitty.

Hmmm. Maybe my nostalgia is getting the best of me and I just assumed that was a common thing. Then again I hadn't played a DBZ game since Tenkaichi 3 on Wii so idk. That would be dope though. His music is a requirement when I watch the show.

How many moves do characters/your custom characters have?
Is it 4 special moves, and 4 ultimate moves, or just 4 specials and 1 ultimate?

Would Goku with:
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan 2
Super Saiyan 3
Kamehameha

Spirit Bomb

Be an example of how it works?

Alienous

Hopefully they figure out the vs. mode stages thing. I can understand the other stages being too big but it's pure laziness not making variations of the other stages for local vs. play. Just confine those arenas to smaller boxes, and remove the destructible elements if they get in the way. Then people can play vs. with Budokai-style stage variation, where it at least gives you something to look at.

Looks like anyone playing the english version on twitch is having their account nuked, another english player was online only 10 minutes ago, not any more.

Revven

Looks like anyone playing the english version on twitch is having their account nuked, another english player was online only 10 minutes ago, not any more.

Yeah if you stream a game before its street date you get banned, basically. The Japanese version is fine because it's actually out but the English version isn't out yet so... KAPOW.

How many moves do characters/your custom characters have?
Is it 4 special moves, and 4 ultimate moves, or just 4 specials and 1 ultimate?

Would Goku with:
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan 2
Super Saiyan 3
Kamehameha

Spirit Bomb

Be an example of how it works?

No, you have about 4 specials, each one being one of the four face buttons on the controller (you have to be holding R2 beforehand to get the menu of your specials up I believe). Those four special moves range anywhere from Kamehameha to a counter to something that powers you up (like a Great Saiyman's pose) to Ki volley moves. You can make those 4 specials whatever you want, so you could have Kamehameha and Galick Gun on your custom character if you wanted but the normal characters like Goku and Vegeta have pre-set move sets.

However, those characters have tons of different alts so when you select an alternate costume not only is the costume different but their move set also differs. So, if you pick Goku with his shirt completely ripped off he has 3x Kaioken in his move set instead of whatever he might have had before. It's not just one move that changes, of course. This is how characters get their transformations as well. So, if you pick Halo Goku he has Super Saiyan 2 as his transformation.

The way transformations work in this game is that they count as an ultimate slot. There's two ultimate slots per character and you don't need a previous transformation to transform into the next. For example, you don't need SSJ to transform into SSJ2, you only need to equip SSJ2 to transform into SSJ2. So, for your custom character you can either have two ultimates or one ultimate and one transformation (the choice between SSJ or SSJ2, basically). The original characters have transformations based on their alternate costume chosen, you cannot change the original character's move sets.

But these alternate costumes, while they may seem redundant and superfluous (why not just let us change the moves) they actually have different stats from each other. For example, the ripped shirt Goku from the Saiyan saga has a lot more stamina than the default Goku. This is so he can use Kaioken for a longer period of time. He has a slightly smaller Ki bar in this outfit as well. And, of course, the other stats differ but those are the main two that are immediately noticeable upon first glance.

As a result, the alternate costumes are like entirely new characters except the character does not get any new combos or melee strings, they keep the same strings as their default costume. Therefore, they don't actually count as new characters.

Anyway, I hope that made sense. To sum up, if you're a custom character you can customize their move set however you want but if you're an original character you can't and you have to pick a different alt. costume to use whatever form and moves you want. If you want SSJ3 Goku there's two alts that have that each with different moves and stats. If you want SSJ Goku there's also a pair of alts that have it each with different moves and stats from the original Goku.

Top Bottom