• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

EGOMON

Eh. It doesn't really make sense

I mean I like the transformation but why does it give a power up that's greater than SSJ3? Always seemed a bit ridiculous to me. Well... GT as a whole did xD

Goku finally controlling the enormous power of the great ape?
same thing happen with naruto when he finally controlled the power of the kyuubi

Revven

So this game is *gasp*.......... actually good?
I thought i'd never see the the day.

This guy down below seems to say so.

After a weekend of playing versus a.i and with my buddy, I will say even though there are some rough edges at spots, its absolutely much better than the last 3 or 4 DBZ games they have made. Actual real effort went into this game, and to see the hub tower have actual major group chat functionality, a suite of emotes and ways to group up, ways to play offline and still do quests, or just do matchmaking for the major quests, it actually puts Destiny's tower to shame.

I've seen and heard nothing but positive praise about the game despite some minor flaws with it in some areas (like the roster). But it's definitely sounding like the best DBZ game in years.

Budokai 2-3 and Tenkaichi 2-3 completely retold the story of the anime despite the first game already doing that. I wonder what Xenoverse 2 will bring (should it get a sequel). I doubt Namco would let Dimps set the game in current DBZ Online timeline (fans would be pissed they couldn't beat up Frieza for the millionth time) and I know they wouldn't retell the Time patrol stuff (and this game goes to GT so there's no more content to squeeze out of it).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
A nice video of all the full costume sets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIMhzY-0E6Q

These aren't parts but rather complete costumes from the series that you can wear. You can't change the colour or parts of these. As opposed to the costumes you wear these are essentially cosplays for your character.

So, he says male and female can wear the same outfits (which seems to be supported by Videl's seen), but if so, that's sort of disappointing there aren't more outfits based on the female characters like Chichi, Bulma, and Lunch.

Budokai 2-3 and Tenkaichi 2-3 completely retold the story of the anime despite the first game already doing that. I wonder what Xenoverse 2 will bring (should it get a sequel)

O.G. DragonBall!

All the Z-style villains are transported to the past to kill kid Goku, and you play as kid versions of the races.

So, he says male and female can wear the same outfits (which seems to be supported by Videl's seen), but if so, that's sort of disappointing there aren't more outfits based on the female characters like Chichi, Bulma, and Lunch.
Chichi and Launch's clothes parts are in the game, you can see Launch here:
EmseIvL.jpg

The ones I shared are special 'set' costumes as opposed to all of the parts for costumes.

One japanese player had their human setup to look like a schoolgirl, there's plenty of costumes and hopefully more in dlc.

My only worry is top tier outfits will become the norm in a few weeks because of the stats they give, everyone will be running around looking like clones with different hair cuts.

One japanese player had their human setup to look like a schoolgirl, there's plenty of costumes and hopefully more in dlc.

My only worry is top tier outfits will become the norm in a few weeks because of the stats they give, everyone will be running around looking like clones with different hair cuts.
The DLC does contain some costumes, the first pack contains 5 and as far as I remember in the EU chat they said that there wasn't too much difference between the costumes because they didn't want to stop people from using their favourites.

I'm noticing a lot more english streams on twitch not getting nuked, did they become lax about it or now that I posted about it here are we going to see a mass ban wave? lol

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to execute a "follow up" attack? By that I mean, knocking people away, and immediately teleporting or flying to them, and knocking once or twice more?

If I had a big criticism so far, it's that the game doesn't explain it's own systems in any detail, if at all.

You have to explore the character you are using's combos. Every character has at least one combo that leads into the vanishing followups. some have two. you can also cancel mix up these follow ups to extend your combo even further!
( ・ω・)

NeonZ

I remember people saying Appule and Raspberry were included because they'd represent multiple "mooks" through their Alt Costumes, but I just see cheap color changes. :/

Each color change has a name of its own (some taken from old RPG games), and you have to fight many of them together in story mode.

Goku finally controlling the enormous power of the great ape?
same thing happen with naruto when he finally controlled the power of the kyuubi

That already had happened... when Goku beat Piccolo Daimao though.

and I know they wouldn't retell the Time patrol stuff (and this game goes to GT so there's no more content to squeeze out of it).
Is the GT content covered in the story mode? I thought it wasn't. Anyway, they could just create some kind of new time threat, which would also justify new scenarios in the past again.

Revven

Is the GT content covered in the story mode? I thought it wasn't.

In DLC Pack 1 there's some GT Time Patrol Quests being given, iirc it's 4 new chapters added to the story. We only know so far that it covers fighting Great Ape Baby.

Sheppard

I hate to be this guy, but I grew up with Japanese voices. Will the English version of the game allow me to change the voices over?

Ssj4 is best ssj and should become canon cause honestly, its the best. Ssj god is lamest of then all, what a disappointment that form turned out to be. This is not up for debate(especially that last part about ssj god).

Who is that cac that everyone keeps talking about? Is it that nickname vegeta gave goku or what?

SSJ4 didn't do anything unique warranting the transformation, and it's so 90s it hurts.

All of that and the fact I could do without the fur and the red eyeliner.

The original SSJ remains the best Super Saiyan form, and honestly it didn't need any transformations after that. Maybe that's why according to AT, Goku doesn't need to use SSJ3 or his god form anymore.

And in the latest movie it's been said that
he wont turn Super Saiyan at all in the movie.

Revven

I hate to be this guy, but I grew up with Japanese voices. Will the English version of the game allow me to change the voices over?

Yeah it has dual audio so you can switch to Japanese voices if you want. They've had that for every DBZ game since... the Tenkaichis, I think.

Welfare

SSJ4 didn't do anything warranting the transformation and it looks so 90's it hurts.

The original SSJ remains the best Super Saiyan form, and honestly it didn't need any transformations after that. Maybe that's why according to AT, Goku doesn't need to use SSJ3 or his god form anymore.

SSJ2 was good :`(

But really? Whis doing some good training on Goku and Vegeta if all Goku needs is base.

Sheppard

Yeah it has dual audio so you can switch to Japanese voices if you want. They've had that for every DBZ game since... the Tenkaichis, I think.

Lol, thank you. You can call me LTTP on DBZ games. Last one I played was DBZ Legends on an import PSX, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day.

DedValve

Banned
SSJ4 didn't do anything unique warranting the transformation, and it's so 90s it hurts.

I haven't seen Battle of Z but what.
So in the new (freeza?) movie he's so strong he's basically ultimate gohan? Man thats weak. I really liked the super saiyan form. I wish they went back to form with that.

SSJ2 was good :`(

But really? Whis doing some good training on Goku and Vegeta if all Goku needs is base.

I did like the SSJ2 look on Gohan.

Not much info has been given, but they've from an interview he said there would be no point in transforming into Super Saiyan God since he absorbed its power. Looks like he's going to make SSJ obsolete in the next movie for the same reason.

It will be interesting if he actually follows through.

Revven

So, how are all 5 versions? I pre-ordered the PS4 version.

I've heard PS360 has frame drops, not sure what the conditions are but it seems it happens. Meanwhile PS4/Xbone are a stable 30 FPS and PC you can make it 60 FPS.

Lol, thank you. You can call me LTTP on DBZ games. Last one I played was DBZ Legends on an import PSX, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day.

It's cool, no biggie.

Deadstar

My favorite DBZ game was Tenkaichi 3. I believe it was the one that came out for PS3 and the Wii. Does it sound like I would like the game? I mainly liked how you could fly around freely doing ridiculous attacks instead of fighting street fighter style.

Revven

My favorite DBZ game was Tenkaichi 3. I believe it was the one that came out for PS3 and the Wii. Does it sound like I would like the game? I mainly liked how you could fly around freely doing ridiculous attacks instead of fighting street fighter style.

I think you'd still enjoy this game. This still has the 3D free form movement of the Tenkaichis and it's not a super deep fighter at all. Everything is still very simple and easy to pick and play.

Does Xenoverse gameplay beat this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9EQhv7P2Ms

EDIT: Online Xenoverse PVP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7QnL9ughs

Sigh...

I appreciate the effort from Dimps. But again why abandon a solid 2D mechanic that was cherished by thousands of fans? *Looks at Bandai Namco*

That just looks like Xenoverse with small arenas and no air combat. The camera angle even looks similiar at times. If you mean the gameplay looks smoother and less janky then I can see your point. Anyway, there's plenty of 3d fighting games that you can enjoy. Like Burst Limit for example.

Revven

That just looks like Xenoverse with small arenas and no air combat. The camera angle even looks similiar at times. If you mean the gameplay looks smoother and less janky then I can see your point. Anyway, there's plenty of 3d fighting games that you can enjoy. Like Burst Limit for example.

Not only that but he's comparing Xenoverse day 1 to Burst Limit 6-7 years after it's been out where people understand the mechanics and knows what works and what doesn't. Not a fair comparison, IMO. Xenoverse still needs time to be explored before comparing it to the likes of Burst Limit.

Edit: But yeah no I really liked the Budokais and Burst Limit, however, I think the reality everyone needs to swallow is that the leads that worked on those games at Dimps are now working with Capcom on Street Fighter V. So, we're never going to get games like those from Dimps again without those leads that had the vision for how those games worked and played. However, that doesn't mean this game that Dimps pumped out here isn't good because of that -- it's just different and it has some traits from Budokai and it's trying to have a good fighting system within a full 3D environment. And it's looking like it will succeed pretty well there.

Not only that but he's comparing Xenoverse day 1 to Burst Limit 6-7 years after it's been out where people understand the mechanics and knows what works and what doesn't. Not a fair comparison, IMO. Xenoverse still needs time to be explored before comparing it to the likes of Burst Limit.

Edit: But yeah no I really liked the Budokais and Burst Limit, however, I think the reality everyone needs to swallow is that the leads that worked on those games at Dimps are now working with Capcom on Street Fighter V. So, we're never going to get games like those from Dimps again without those leads that had the vision for how those games worked and played. However, that doesn't mean this game that Dimps pumped out here isn't good because of that -- it's just different and it has some traits from Budokai and it's trying to have a good fighting system within a full 3D environment. And it's looking like it will succeed pretty well there.

To add to this, burst limit is the culmination of dimps knowledge with the 2D DBZ style. Xenoverse was built completely from scratch in under 3 years. the scope of its online, the entire story, the character creation, the combat / balancing, thats alot to do in just 2.5 years.. i honestly think they did fabulous and that if we got a sequel it would surpass everything. This game just needs to please NB in sales figures :/

So is there any ingame reason why human custom characters can fight at a level on par with Saiyans, Majins and the like? It's been years since I read the manga (never saw the anime), but I seem to recall the story being pretty clear cut that humans simply could not match the other races no matter how hard they trained.

Welfare

So is there any ingame reason why human custom characters can fight at a level on par with Saiyans, Majins and the like? It's been years since I read the manga (never saw the anime), but I seem to recall the story being pretty clear cut that humans simply could not match the other races no matter how hard they trained.

In DB Online, after Goku takes Uub as a pupil, Gohan begins research for his book, Groundbreaking Science, a book that gives insight to ki control for the general public. An article in this book, "Katchin Can Be Cut" leads to the creation of Trunks and Goten's Kikoukenjutsu Sword School. The book also leads to Krillin and Tien reviving the Turtle and Crane school. After so many years, Earthlings became a lot stronger.

Mabufu

Banned

SSJ4 is badass as a definitive super-saiyan. Looking it from the perspective that is all the maximum power saiyans aquire from transforming into ohzarus but being able to control it, i think it's awesome that the design went ohzaru-like.

Clearly it's better than just longer hair.

Alienous

The combat just looks so clumsy in Xenoverse. Especially when characters twist upwards and flail at a target they are no-where near. And the dashing, combined with the single camera, just makes it so confusing.

The combat just looks so clumsy in Xenoverse. Especially when characters twist upwards and flail at a target they are no-where near. And the dashing, combined with the single camera, just makes it so confusing.
Yeah my only concern is the boosting mechanic and the potential to whiff and just punch the air. Apparently advanced play solves this but some of the casual play I've seen so far looks good and then underwhelming in intervals of 3 seconds lol. Keeping hope alive since people keep saying its budokai oriented mainly. Wish I could've tried the demo. But its all good. Preordered ut to see if I could get that steelbook. If not then I may hold off until I see a few more reviews and gameplay vids.

Ummmmmmmmmm. Where was I when this came out? Completely forgot about it. But now it looks legit like the Budokai 4 I need in my life. 2d is so much tighter. That wonky 3D dragon rushdowns ruined Tenkaichi for me since the first one. The only Tenkaichi I even enjoyed was BT3 on the Wii. Budokai 3 still remains my most treasured DBZ game of all. Really hope Xenoverse will grip me, especially since thus Burst Limit gameplay just got me super giddy over all things not Xenoverse gameplay wise smh....

Village

Well that isn't true .

also its the only version that looks like a super monkey, in a race of monkey people. Therefore it is best and you are incorrect sir.

Well that isn't true .

also its the only version that looks like a super monkey, in a race of monkey people. Therefore it is best and you are incorrect sir.

SSJ4 is badass as a definitive super-saiyan. Looking it from the perspective that is all the maximum power saiyans aquire from transforming into ohzarus but being able to control it, i think it's awesome that the design went ohzaru-like.

Clearly it's better than just longer hair.

these people understand. its perfect (imo) to have the ultimate ssj to be monkey like since like the two i just quoted said, the saiyans are monkey people. 1 day, I hope ssj becomes canon.

Astral

So how does your character's hair look when you turn Super Saiyan? From what I've seen, the spikey hair just turns gold but what about the straight hair, especially in females?

Well that isn't true .

It's ok to have wrong opinions.

The transformation makes no sense considering Goku and Vegeta lost their tails in the Saiyan saga and Goku's was supposed to be permanently removed by Kami.

GT casually ignores that like a lot of other things from Z and brings it back with no explanation just because hey, we need another transformation.

Saiyans are far closer to human than they are to apes considering they can breed with them. As for controlling the power of the Giant Ape form Vegeta was shown to be quite capable of that in the Saiyan Saga.

So how does your character's hair look when you turn Super Saiyan? From what I've seen, the spikey hair just turns gold but what about the straight hair, especially in females?

It's just a colour change for the time being, might be why only super saiyan 1 and 2 are useable and none of the above.

Dereck

How do people feel about stage sizes, don't care, like it, dislike it, too small, not big enough? I don't like fighting and knocking someone away and then they hit a border. Can't they be bigger now that we have more powerful consoles or does that not matter?

How do people feel about stage sizes, don't care, like it, dislike it, too small, not big enough? I don't like fighting and knocking someone away and then they hit a border. Can't they be bigger now that we have more powerful consoles or does that not matter?

Yet to play it but I hate all the invisible walls everywhere, there is one big map with freiza's ship on it which is rather long but even the space battles feel like a tiny box, i'll just blame last gen compatability for stage sizes for now.

The game is only 9. something gig, which means it was made to fit on a Xbox 360 DVD. It's not a fully next-gen game.

Before people cry about that, I imagine DBZ, while still going strong...is not as popular as Naruto currently. I'd like a Xenoverse 2, only for next-gen. I imagine that's the only reason a ton of stuff didn't make it in.

Top Bottom