• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Dereck

How many times can we do this?

QLfMBCH.gif

Revven

Giving MvC3 a run for it's money with 1 touch kills lol

Any reason why there is not a hit number when the combo is being done? is it removed in 1 v 1?

I've seen a hit counter in online matches, not sure why it wouldn't be displaying in that video.

To the people saying they want 2D DBZ battles what's wrong with you? DBZ is about huge battles flying around and shit. I mean love MK and Street Fighter and KI too but DBZ games should never be on a 2 dimensional plane.

To the people saying they want 2D DBZ battles what's wrong with you? DBZ is about huge battles flying around and shit. I mean love MK and Street Fighter and KI too but DBZ games should never be on a 2 dimensional plane.

Nah man, we need 20 more street figher clones, all using different IP's... cause competitive fighers are mildly popular now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Of course, some of the best DBZ fighters like Budokai 3 or Hyper Dimension have been on 2D planes.

The thing about DBZ fights is that not everyone sees them in the same way. So people see them as simple face paces Street Fighter / Marvel, and want to experience them in such a way. Those kind of people would never be happy with a game as shallow as a Tenkaichi series game, which focuses less on gameplay, and more on replicating cinematics and adding a huge amount of characters, regardless of how they play.

And then you have those who see as you said. They think DBZ, and think about skipping between islands as they're destroyed, like in the Android's run from Cell. Cities are wiped out when these guys fight! The earth may be destroyed if a beam is shot at the wrong angle! A mountain is common place collateral damage! How would anyone who sees these as the ultimate DBZ details ever be happy with 1 on 1 fighting?

This game here is trying to cross those desires, but it has obvious compromises due to it. It allows up to 3 on 3 battles, but due to this, EVERYTHING is designed with such limitations in mind. This probably limited a lot of the design decisions. Focusing on CaC most likely cost us some of the more unique character that COULD have been in the game, like Android 16, Cells Imperfect form, and Kid Buu / Uub.

I really hope Xenoverse gets more than one game out of all it's groundwork. What they have in place seems like a great mix of styles for fans of DBZ games. Things can only get better optimized from here.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll never understand why people want to see every Super and CAC part in a game before they get to play it. A large part of the fun or such games is getting to discover this stuff through gameplay. I'm actually happy many of the streamers are sticking to a small pool of skills to use....

is it sad Im thinking of getting this just for having a dragonball character creator

Not at all, especially since this seems like a really GOOD one! It's so great seeing the various races have moves and throws that use their special abilities (like stretchy limbs and tail attacks)

The devs claimed they wouldn't work in 3v3, people would just get hit out of them or they'd be too complicated to work into 3v3.

That's easy to understand, really. What would a 3 x 3 beam struggle be like? The game doesn't force all characters to face each other, how would beams that cross at non-perfect horizontal angles work? What's a 2-on-1 beam struggle? If they have to add them back in, I'd rather see them be a focus of new gameplay in a sequel, rather than just squeezed into this game, which already seems to have spent a lot of time in refining character individuality.

Beam struggles could work they would just have to disable damage taken from two guys in a struggle, kind of like chainsaw battles in gears of war.

At this rate they can save struggles and other things for a sequel to make things interesting again.

Why this game is still not available for pre-order on US PSN? I mean the game release this month right?
Edit: It's on PS store. Preordered!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Beam struggles could work they would just have to disable damage taken from two guys in a struggle, kind of like chainsaw battles in gears of war.

At this rate they can save struggles and other things for a sequel to make things interesting again.

My favorite idea for making Beam Struggles work in more than 1-on-1 is to make the struggle the focal point of everyone's combat for a moment, and have the other character opting into lending the launchers their energy, or trying to distract the opponent shooter by pelting them with charged Ki blast.

I'm glad they already have a "Father/Son Kamehameha" like system in the game, where max level Teacher characters will (randomly?) appear behind and encourage you when doing their signature skills, upping the damage. Good inspirational step to co-op beam play.

Welfare

I would love if Dimps could find a way to make beam struggles like the Cell v Gohan one.

Let 2 people get into a beam struggle, they rotate the sticks, but if someone attacks a person during a struggle, their "hits" lower. Would make the "team" play much more interesting.

Is the game going to be running at 1080p/30FPS?

A next gen game under 10 GBs is kind of suspect.

It's a ps360 game more or less, the only difference is the running resolution and a few higher res assets, everything for this game was designed to fit onto a dvd first.

This is most likely why we also get the game in 1080p on both newer consoles.

Maligna

Banned
I made a whole topic about this previously but I might as well ask the same question of you all here.

We all know that Akira Toriyama's Dragonball world is full of pun names for most of the characters. So in that tradition, we should all do the same with our created Dragonball Xenoverse characters. So let's share ours, keeping in mind the original rules set out by Toriyama.

Humans: Generally named after Asian foods, but not exclusively. The "Briefs" family is all named after underwear and other random characters are named after things like pencil sharpeners.
Saiyans: Named after vegetables
Namekians: Named after slugs and snails, except Piccolo and his offspring who are named after instruments
Frieza race: Named after cold things
Majin: Named after things related to classical magic spell incantations

Here's mine:
Human (Male) - Pho (Vietnamese soup)
Human (Female) - Tanga (Type of underwear, similar to a thong)
Saiyan (Male) - Yammu (Yam)
Saiyan (Female) - Nache (Spinach)
Namekian - Eskar (Escargo)
Friezas race - Glaciar (Glacier)
Majin (Male) - Gadoola (Bibidi-bobidi-boo lyric)
Majin (Female) - Sala (Bibidi-bobidi-boo lyric)

EDIT - Does anyone know if you can teach your CAC Super 17's energy absorbing moves? Cuz if so I may scrap Pho or Tanga in favor of naming them as an Android character. Maybe Android #21? Android #10?

RBK

Banned
it released on the ps360 as well so its probably because of that. hopefully the game does well and all sales come from current gen and pc hw

It's a ps360 game more or less, the only difference is the running resolution and a few higher res assets, everything for this game was designed to fit onto a dvd first.

This is most likely why we also get the game in 1080p on both newer consoles.

As long as there's enough content, I guess it'll all work out.

Revven

EDIT - Does anyone know if you can teach your CAC Super 17's energy absorbing moves? Cuz if so I may scrap Pho or Tanga in favor of naming them as an Android character. Maybe Android #21? Android #10?

I've read from elsewhere that, yes, you can.

I feel like people just like Burst Limit because it looks like a traditional fighter. Any of you played it recently for any extended period of time? Pretty sure it's just as shallow as the Tenkaichis, or at the very least pales in comparison depth-wise to say, Soul Calibur or Tekken. You've got two mashy attack buttons that come out instantly, a sidestep, samey characters and a teleport that just resets the fight to neutral. Oh yeah, also mashy QTEs.

I like DBZ games, but I don't know why people point to Burst Limit as the deeper fighter. People are just rubbed the wrong way by Xenoverse because the animation is poor but from what I've read there's actually a lot going on in the mechanics. Mostly I just wanna get it for the custom characters and online co-op though :D

Maligna

Banned
I've read from elsewhere that, yes, you can.

Yay! Can't wait then. This game is making a lot of my dreams comes true. I'm sure the next iteration will be even better. I'd like to see the ability to make your CAC a child. Kids fighting is a big part of DBZ. Besides, they have that option in Dragon Ball Online so why not here?

I feel like people just like Burst Limit because it looks like a traditional fighter. Any of you played it recently for any extended period of time? Pretty sure it's just as shallow as the Tenkaichis, or at the very least pales in comparison depth-wise to say, Soul Calibur or Tekken. You've got two mashy attack buttons that come out instantly, a sidestep, samey characters and a teleport that just resets the fight to neutral. Oh yeah, also mashy QTEs.

I like DBZ games, but I don't know why people point to Burst Limit as the deeper fighter. People are just rubbed the wrong way by Xenoverse because the animation is poor but from what I've read there's actually a lot going on in the mechanics. Mostly I just wanna get it for the custom characters and online co-op though :D

Burst Limit sure looked nice but mechanically it was a big step down from Budokai 3/Infinite World.

The terrible net code also made all matches a giant spam fest.

Gordeli

Is there any video of two good players? I want to know if there is some skill involved or you just need to know the controls and how to use the bars to win

TCKaos

I made a whole topic about this previously but I might as well ask the same question of you all here.

We all know that Akira Toriyama's Dragonball world is full of pun names for most of the characters. So in that tradition, we should all do the same with our created Dragonball Xenoverse characters. So let's share ours, keeping in mind the original rules set out by Toriyama.

Humans: Generally named after Asian foods, but not exclusively. The "Briefs" family is all named after underwear and other random characters are named after things like pencil sharpeners.
Saiyans: Named after vegetables
Namekians: Named after slugs and snails, except Piccolo and his offspring who are named after instruments
Frieza race: Named after cold things
Majin: Named after things related to classical magic spell incantations

I'll give it a shot:
Human (Male) - Rango (Crab Rangoon)
Human (Female) - Tonwo (Wontons)
Saiyan (Male) - Turabaga (Rutabaga)
Saiyan (Female) - Shive (Chives)
Namekian - Sooba (Bassoon)
Friezas race - Frigera (Refrigerator)
Majin (Male) - Avebog (Combination of references to Night on Bald Mountain as seen in Fantasia)
Majin (Female) - Tasia (Fantasia)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpw554-VFzY of course it's not on Tekken/SC level but it is deeper than the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games that took over. That guard cancel system was fun

Burst Limit sure looked nice but mechanically it was a big step down from Budokai 3/Infinite World.

The terrible net code also made all matches a giant spam fest.

How can it be a step down from Infinite World when IW feels like a terrible fusion of Budokai 3 with Shin Budokai/Burst Limit?

Maligna

Banned
I'll give it a shot:
Human (Male) - Rango (Crab Rangoon)
Human (Female) - Tonwo (Wontons)
Saiyan (Male) - Turabaga (Rutabaga)
Saiyan (Female) - Shive (Chives)
Namekian - Sooba (Bassoon)
Friezas race - Frigera (Refrigerator)
Majin (Male) - Avebog (Combination of references to Night on Bald Mountain as seen in Fantasia)
Majin (Female) - Tasia (Fantasia)

Nice names! The Majin ones especially.

Revven

www.twitch.tv/fuji3san is doing ranked right now and fuji is actually showing off how Namekians can actually play a footsie game. Probably the most competent player I've seen streaming this game so far. You really can't spam supers/ultimates to win (not that there was ever any doubt).

www.twitch.tv/fuji3san is doing ranked right now and fuji is actually showing off how Namekians can actually play a footsie game. Probably the most competent player I've seen streaming this game so far. You really can't spam supers/ultimates to win (not that there was ever any doubt).

The last fight I saw was horrible. The other guy was just dashing away the whole time. And he used some type of health potion (THE FUCK, keep this out of multiplayer). I think I'll stay in multi unless you can play multi in a server with just set characters who don't level up and no stupid inventory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpw554-VFzY of course it's not on Tekken/SC level but it is deeper than the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games that took over. That guard cancel system was fun

How can it be a step down from Infinite World when IW feels like a terrible fusion of Budokai 3 with Shin Budokai/Burst Limit?
Just personal experience from when it released. I hated the Ki system and drama pieces interrupting the game play were some of the most annoying offenders.

IW for one got rid of Dragon Rush and is no slouch on combo game either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af1i7t4mBQ8

The stamina system was really the only change I disliked.

Sephzilla

So I'm just curious, what are the early reviews on this game? Positive? I haven't played a DBZ game since Burst Limit and I'm eyeing up this one.

Respect

Last DBZ game I played was the first Budokai on ps2...going through the thread is giving me an itch to maybe hop back in to another DBZ game.

DeaviL

Banned
A proposed Beam struggle system.

When the beams meet the 2 characters become unapproachable do to the power they emit,
Direct attacks with beams etc. bounce off of the "force field"

The collision point of the beam then becomes target-able.
Firing a beam attack at this point, teleports you next to the allied character and adds your beam to theirs.
This off course adds up until you get 3vs3.

Would work?

A proposed Beam struggle system.

When the beams meet the 2 characters become unapproachable do to the power they emit,
Direct attacks with beams etc. bounce off of the "force field"

The collision point of the beam then becomes target-able.
Firing a beam attack at this point, teleports you next to the allied character and adds your beam to theirs.
This off course adds up until you get 3vs3.

Would work?

No no no that is lame. That is some major cinematics>gameplay stuff and would derail matches too much just so some weirdos can mash face buttons and break their analog sticks.

Welfare

No no no that is lame. That is some major cinematics>gameplay stuff and would derail matches too much just so some weirdos can mash face buttons and break their analog sticks.

Lol Raging Blast 2 made me chip my DS3 by the sticks because of the fucking beam and rush struggles.

Loved it all.

Top Bottom