• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Philtastic

So i keep hearing about this game all over the place and its getting huge sales.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, i just want to know honestly...what exactly about the game is so good that its getting all this attention?

Like what is it doing that's better than ultimate tenkaichi, raging blast or the other bad 7th gen DBZ games? I haven't kept up with any DBZ after tenkaichi 3 on PS2 mind you, so i'm really curious. I ight pick this up if i can get some positive impressions from those who may have it

I haven't played any other DBZ games ever (except for the amazing Earth Special Forces mod for Half-Life) but here's my take on why it seems popular and how this is quickly becoming one of my favourite games of all time:

1) The gameplay is easy to learn, hard to master. A complete noob can get away with some button mashing and have fun with flashy attacks and zooming around the map. It's got a cool factor and fast pace to it that not many recent games have done.

2) The combat has a lot of nuance to it while not having a large technical hurdle. It's very much like the Smash Brothers series in this regard: you're not worried as much about technical aspect of "what buttons do I press to make this cool move happen?" but rather "When should I use this ability and how can I chain it into other things?"

3) Most of the skills in this game are fairly unique in visuals, range, windup time, best angles of attack, damage, AoE effect, combo-ability, ability to track target, invincibility frames, and abilities to block other attacks which allows you to possibly create many different playstyles (mostly for pve. If you min-max in pvp, there might only be a handful of viable builds).

4) Unlockables and RPG aspects that can keep neurotic people like myself playing for quite awhile. The hunt is real.

5) Coop play up to 3 people.

yeah, i saw some gameplay just to see what was going on with it, the models look decent enough but the graphics of the levels were all PS2 quality and the combat was really janky with a weird target lock on thing instead of the "there you are!" mechanic of the tenkaichi series. Burst limit looks like what a next gen DBZ PS4 game should look like based on these visuals and that was from 8(!!!) years ago.

Even so, i'm willing to forgive many things if any of you guys can just give me some kinda cool element this game has that isnt with the other more recent titles.

I know that there's some time thing or whatever going on and the DBZ MMO storyline stuff is being incorporated into it..what's that all about?

The reason that there's a lock on system is because you can fight multiple opponents simultaneously which leads to ridiculous fights like this one (I was purposely not using flashy invincibility attacks because I wanted to show off pure melee skills and controlling the fight):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpikwoAgOyk
(If you get bored, skip ahead. There are 3 phases to that fight that just keep getting harder and harder and require a lot of fine play to beat without abusing the invincibility from ultimate skills. The tactics employed are in the video description)

Nordicus

Game comes in the mail tomorrow. Any advice for creating a character?

I'd like to create a melee fighter.
Do not touch melee builds for story. Stay far far away for m them till you beat the story.

Go saiyan
Get vegeta as your mentor when he's in town
Get the skill super sandwich and a ki charge skill
Final flash to victory with a ki blast super and heath spec
Or if you still want to make a hybrid/melee character as your first one in spite of the increased challenge (also increased fun and variety), do not make it a complete glasscannon. This game has infinite-stopping moves called Evasive Skills, and those can hurt in the long run with a tankier opponent.
So i keep hearing about this game all over the place and its getting huge sales.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, i just want to know honestly...what exactly about the game is so good that its getting all this attention?

Like what is it doing that's better than ultimate tenkaichi, raging blast or the other bad 7th gen DBZ games? I haven't kept up with any DBZ after tenkaichi 3 on PS2 mind you, so i'm really curious. I ight pick this up if i can get some positive impressions from those who may have it
The story is fun, the character customization in terms of fighting style can make for some really varied builds on your created character, and the game has longevity in its co-op missions although admittedly much of that comes from RNG drops. Those drops are DBZ skills, equipment, or equippable passive "Z-souls" that are references to the show both in their names and functions.

And when you get a new skill it's rarely "Oh, this ki blast is pink instead of blue", no, nonononono, usually a new skill comes with its own unique properties. Even a weakling like Raditz has beams that he can shape into V's, has ki blast aerial mines, and paralyzing projectiles. Utility is important.

Not to mention it feels really damn DBZ without resorting to long-ass cutscenes or rock-paper-scissors
yeah, i saw some gameplay just to see what was going on with it, the models look decent enough but the graphics of the levels were all PS2 quality and the combat was really janky with a weird target lock on thing instead of the "there you are!" mechanic of the tenkaichi series. Burst limit looks like what a next gen DBZ PS4 game should look like based on these visuals and that was from 8(!!!) years ago.

Even so, i'm willing to forgive many things if any of you guys can just give me some kinda cool element this game has that isnt with the other more recent titles.

I know that there's some time thing or whatever going on and the DBZ MMO storyline stuff is being incorporated into it..what's that all about?
The target lock is kind of necessary in a game as flashy as this that can turn into an explosive 3v3 brawl.

Game comes in the mail tomorrow. Any advice for creating a character?

I'd like to create a melee fighter.

You can't make another character until you finish the story, so choose well.

Race, gender, and equipment aren't really a big deal, so just go with what you like the most. There's definite advantages for each of them, but none of them will be the ultimate decider. There's some equipment and skills exclusive to specific combos, but a vast majority of items are all-access.

Post your created character here for posterity.

Finally, a lot of things you can get from Parallel Quests are RNG-based, so don't stress out if you can't get it right away. Sooner or later, the items you want will be within your grasp. Because the server seems to be working now, try to team up online to face harder PQs; the AI will rarely be helpful in the most difficult challenges.

Oh, and one last thing: during the Ginyu mission (you'll recognize it when you see it) protect your allies above all else!

Making girls in this game really suck. I was hoping to make a strong intimidating women that could tower over people like a namekian but the tallest girl is barely taller than krillin =/

And no bulk or proper head options to choose from. I'll stick with males and other species for now. Also wish I could make a slim male buu.

Protip: The Goku outline in the character creator is a reference height, and not just decoration.

Muzicfreq

Banned
okay. I have had it with PVP. if someone doesn't have a solid connection they tend to be super jumpy and teleport all over the place on the map. Not good since my strikes wont connect at all and they just teleport around me smacking me from all sides.

-_- dammit people stop using the crappy wifi connection on the PS4

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus just reached the battle vs. Whis and Beerus.
Didn't even last 2 minutes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you find getting destroyed nonstop to be exciting go ahead, otherwise melee builds for story is a death sentence.

I just finished the story with my melee focused human female. None of the battles were that difficult aside from
the Whis/Beerus
one which I just spammed normal ki blasts in while circling as I was only level 48 at the time. Ended up needing a health item for that one due to my partner dying partway through.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO son after like 25 hours of playing I finally decided to do 1 match of online pvp(i've done offline pvp when i first started the game to see what was the starting roster) and i forgot to take off my zsoul(bwa ha ha thanks for the energy, idk what its like on other consoles but on pc its glopped up, every single hit you take no matter how small big heals you 100%). i knew i fucked up once i punched him and i got my health back. he had a mic on but you could barely hear him since his mic was really low but 1 thing for sure was he was pissed!! the bits and pieces i heard was pussy,f****t, bitch, kid, fucking idiot, etc. My favorite part however was that he was a saiyan and he was just going ssj spamming his ult(this was before i landed a hit, match was lagging hard so i couldn't do anything for like a good 20 seconds or so). at the end of the match told me "oh wow you won so surprising, obviously you would win for being a little fucking bitch healing all the fucking time, kid."

anyway, no plans of more pvp, lag is pretty bad and 2 out of the 3 were saiyans spamming there ults.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO son after like 25 hours of playing I finally decided to do 1 match of online pvp(i've done offline pvp when i first started the game to see what was the starting roster) and i forgot to take off my zsoul(bwa ha ha thanks for the energy, idk what its like on other consoles but on pc its glopped up, every single hit you take no matter how small big heals you 100%). i knew i fucked up once i punched him and i got my health back. he had a mic on but you could barely hear him since his mic was really low but 1 thing for sure was he was pissed!! the bits and pieces i heard was pussy,f****t, bitch, kid, fucking idiot, etc. My favorite part however was that he was a saiyan and he was just going ssj spamming his ult(this was before i landed a hit, match was lagging hard so i couldn't do anything for like a good 20 seconds or so). at the end of the match told me "oh wow you won so surprising, obviously you would win for being a little fucking bitch healing all the fucking time, kid."

My first online fight was as Frieza's race against a Saiyan. It was like recreating the Frieza saga.

... :(

How is the game from a single player-only perspective? Game looks great, and I love DBZ, but I'm not sure about it's staying power if I choose not to do any PvP.

Omni

What's the best AoE attack that I can spam on the Bardock mission?

I think I saw a green coloured one while playing yesterday. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Philtastic

How would this game be for a 10 year old who loves DBZ?
Amazing. It's easy to play but hard to master so he could just play around and still have fun with flashy moves but there's plenty of room to get good at the game. You could also play a lot of it in coop with the kid.

How is the game from a single player-only perspective? Game looks great, and I love DBZ, but I'm not sure about it's staying power if I choose not to do any PvP.

I have only been playing single player and have over 50 hours in it. I'm staying the hell away from pvp due to balance issues. See Muzicfreq's posts :p

If by PvP you mean competitive battles, don't worry those are a very minor and optional part of the game. If you mean co-operative online, then that's a big part of the game, in the form of Parallel Quests. It isn't strictly required but it'll make the more difficult PQs a lot easier to do. The other online stuff, like having Time Patrollers populate the city, is inconsequential to the gameplay.

For a majority of the game, all story missions and most PQs, singleplayer will serve you perfectly fine. If you're particularly skilled you can probably solo all PQs, but the later ones get really tricky with how poor the allied AI can be at times.

I think I've said this before, but if you like DBZ this is the game for you. It's a dream come true, really. The one we've all been waiting for.

I think I saw a green coloured one while playing yesterday. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Recoome's ability, Ultra Fighting Bomber, is an AoE Ki-based Ultimate that causes huge damage. It's perfect for the mission; get close to an enemy and let 'er rip.

The green coloured one is used by Android 17 and can be gotten in one of the PQs against him. I think it's called Super Electric Strike, but I can't really remember.

I used Giant Storm as my AOE of choice to get through the Bardock mission. It deals a crap ton of damage (around equivalent to Final Flash, from my experience) and has a decent area of effect. You can get it from Nappa in PQ4.

If by PvP you mean competitive battles, don't worry those are a very minor and optional part of the game. If you mean co-operative online, then that's a big part of the game, in the form of Parallel Quests. It isn't strictly required but it'll make the more difficult PQs a lot easier to do. The other online stuff, like having Time Patrollers populate the city, is inconsequential to the gameplay.

For a majority of the game, all story missions and most PQs, singleplayer will serve you perfectly fine. If you're particularly skilled you can probably solo all PQs, but the later ones get really tricky with how poor the allied AI can be at times.

I think I've said this before, but if you like DBZ this is the game for you. It's a dream come true, really. The one we've all been waiting for.

I have only been playing single player and have over 50 hours in it. I'm staying the hell away from pvp due to balance issues. See Muzicfreq's posts :p

Well'p, I think that seals it. Thanks for the responses. Very much appreciated! :D

Astral

Does anyone know if, despite having better stats, Super Saiyan Bargain Sale gives you weaker supers than I am...Super Vegeta? The latter seems to also increase the duration of the transformation despite not saying so so if it does more damage then it's clear I should use it over Bargain Sale.

void666

Banned
I'm not enjoying these high level battles.

Basic attacks and strike supers are useless. I just keep flying in circles shooting ki blasts and eventually a final flash.

My earthling was suposed to be a melee character but soon i discovered melee wasn't effective.

Or am i doing something wrong?

Last PQ i tried was one given by Goten. I can beat him and Trunks easily. It's a fun fight as i can use all my arsenal against them. No bullshit. But then it's Trunks/Vegeta turn. Super sayan ultimate spam bullshit time.

Welfare

Basic attacks and strike supers are useless. I just keep flying in circles shooting ki blasts and eventually a final flash.

My earthling was suposed to be a melee character but soon i discovered melee wasn't effective.

Hey you are you me? Exactly what I went through. Had to respec my character for the end game story.

Last PQ i tried was one given by Goten. I can beat him and Trunks easily. It's a fun fight as i can use all my arsenal against them. No bullshit. But then it's Trunks/Vegeta turn. Super sayan ultimate spam bullshit time.

The general perception seems to be that while melee is a viable style in PVP, it's lacking in PVE, especially thanks to super armor that a lot of later bosses have.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Was streaming earlier and a viewer helped me with knowing where to go exactly to get Kami nor piccolo. good z-soul...... if human? I mainly say that since I'll end up using Ki on my saiyan really fast and since it doesn't auto regen... yeaahhh it's almost completely useless on my saiyan.
Thinking about changing things yet again and going a blast route on my female saiyan and melee on my human do to the buffs as a human and such.

Durden77

There's been patches, but I don't think RNG has been touched at all.

If you're dead set on nabbing the Dragon Balls, run easy PQs (like 2 and 12, IIRC) and restart whenever you don't get a Dragon Ball drop upon defeating the Time Patroller. Shouldn't take too long to grab a whole set, as you won't ever get duplicates.

Was just trying this tonight, and ugh it sucks. Man it's a bummer that the RNG is really taking away from the game now rather than adding. At first it was so exciting.

bobawesome

Really? That fucking sucks. I've been having a blast playing Xenoverse on my Shield Portable.

So jealous. This game seems like it would be great to play in bed or on the toilet.

Considering I can't find a copy anywhere near me, I'd have to say "yes".

I was surprised that I wasn't able to find a copy at my GameStop the other day. Either it's selling well or they didn't order enough copies.

Xiraiya

My only real complaints about this game is the fact that hair seems strangely limited considering a bunch of them are ripped right off regular characters like Yamcha and Teen Gohan. If you're going to do that you may as well just go all out at that point, fuck it, throw in transformed hair as different styles too, just so I can have SSJ4 Goku's hairstyle as a default.

That and the fact there aren't more colorable armor sets, I feel like it's a crime that it seems like there's no colorable Battle Armor in the game or a colorable Scouter.

Just let me make something close to my character.
tumblr_nec6qyv34P1sk3o1to1_1280.png

Other than that, I can make a pretty cool looking generic Saiyan soldier from the Bardock days and feel completely content with it, the game is incredible so far for a DBZ game.

OptimusLime

Hey guys, what level should I be for the Frieza fight? I took out his first form but
after he went straight to his last form
he spanked me and the NPCs pretty damn bad three times straight.

May I just say that I'm amazed by how popular this game has been here! I was intrigued so I did a quick check for the OT's of previous games

Raging Blast 2: 73 posts
Ultimate Tenkaichi: 205 posts
Battle of Z: 278 posts

and now we're here with this post being the 6,338th post, coupled with new Dragon Ball Z threads in off-topic appearing so often and being posted in a lot. God, feels like the franchise is getting more popular again.

bobawesome

May I just say that I'm amazed by how popular this game has been here! I was intrigued so I did a quick check for the OT's of previous games

and now we're here with this post being the 6,338th post, coupled with new Dragon Ball Z threads in off-topic appearing so often and being posted in a lot. God, feels like the franchise is getting more popular again.

Everyone wants to fulfill their childhood dream of fighting alongside Goku and pals with their own custom character.

Nordicus

Hey guys, what level should I be for the Frieza fight? I took out his first form but
after he went straight to his last form
he spanked me and the NPCs pretty damn bad three times straight.
Mmmmh, roughly 15-20 will be enough I believe. If you're having trouble, remember that you can use health recovery items mid-battle in this game

Not to mention we're behind The Order OT by roughly 1500 posts, we have more posts than Dying Light OT, and more than double the posts of Evolve OT

Mmmmh, roughly 15-20 will be enough I believe. If you're having trouble, remember that you can use health recovery items mid-battle in this game
Not to mention we're behind The Order OT by roughly 1500 posts, we have more posts than Dying Light OT, and more than double the posts of Evolve OT
Haha, it's weird to feel proud of us just posting a shit-load. Also not bad being behind The Order as that thread has been crazy!

Everyone wants to fulfill their childhood dream of fighting alongside Goku and pals with their own custom character.
Yeah, I think this feature wont be leaving Dragon Ball games for a long time. Namco are probably trying to get Dimps to do more game now as well.

OptimusLime

Im 15 right now, so I'll hit a few PQs tonight. I need some better gloves and boots anyway.

Totally forgot about the health items, never had to use them before! I bet I have quite a few stocked.

patchday

Wall of Defense and Recome's Giant explosion ultimate. Cake!! Beat it while my Frieza was in his 40s I think

patchday

(Hope this is okay to post again- big time gap between my posts!)

Was streaming earlier and a viewer helped me with knowing where to go exactly to get Kami nor piccolo. good z-soul...... if human? I mainly say that since I'll end up using Ki on my saiyan really fast and since it doesn't auto regen... yeaahhh it's almost completely useless on my saiyan.
Thinking about changing things yet again and going a blast route on my female saiyan and melee on my human do to the buffs as a human and such.

I like using that z-soul on my Majin since she relies on her basic attacks a lot. But yeah you have a good point.

Send me a link to your stream or post it here. I'll try to tune in!

Razzorn34

The general perception seems to be that while melee is a viable style in PVP, it's lacking in PVE, especially thanks to super armor that a lot of later bosses have.

Melee is viable anytime. Don't let the naysayers sway you. It just requires significantly more skill than running a brainless KI blast build. No, you can't just fly in and start smashing attacks. If you get in-depth with the mechanics, you'll see that melee has a lot more going for it.

Think of it like running a Magic build vs a Melee build in a Souls game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The fact that each of the Canon Characters have so many builds to choose from, and you can't see what each Skill does from the Select Screen as far as I can tell, really discourages me from using them.

Like I've barely touched them. It's just easier and funner to mess around with the C.A.C.

Any opinions on the Canon Characters yet? I guess most people haven't really messed with them much either and are using their C.A.C.'s.

Nordicus

Xenoverse updated on Steam

Hi dear Dragon Ball Xenoverse players, following your feedbacks we fixed some issues of the game.
Please update your version now to enjoy the following fixes:

• The Z-Soul 'You can be the first victim' now works properly and gives full bars of Ki when activated. This issue tends to happen with 60 FPS framerate.

•The Z-Soul 'Tien, Please don’t die' now works properly and charge all allies' Ki to max when the player's character gets knocked out. This issue tends to happen with 60 FPS framerate.

•The Z-Soul 'I'll take you down!' now works properly and gives full bars of Ki when activated. This issue tends to happen with 60 FPS framerate.

•The Z-Soul 'Bwa ha ha… Thanks for the energy.' now behave properly and gives health based on the damage received when activated.

Thanks for your everlasting support
If it's really fixed, that Z-soul went from being brokenly OP to just being really good.

The fact that each of the Canon Characters have so many builds to choose from, and you can't see what each Skill does from the Select Screen as far as I can tell, really discourages me from using them.

Like I've barely touched them. It's just easier and funner to mess around with the C.A.C.

Any opinions on the Canon Characters yet? I guess most people haven't really messed with them much either and are using their C.A.C.'s.

SSJ4 Gogeta is actually really, really bad.

Top Bottom