• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I dunno. Having a move that reduces enemy ki by at least 5 bars could be handy. I need to try how well it works in practice. Whether you can combo into it is key

Oh, didn't realize it even did that.

Actually, do the AI play 'fair' regarding that? I can't tell if they actually have stamina/ki bars since I never see them charge.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Ugh. farming Dragon Balls (OMG I SAID IT CORRECT FOR ONCE!)
Did it 1 time last night to change my height to be max and medium weight.

1DB away from changing my attributes to be focused around melee saiyan.
Just gonna use my Z-Soul that increases my Strike supers once I got Super Saiyan since I found out that it lasts after I lose super saiyan. Main focus is going to be basic attacks, Strike supers and Health

Philtastic

Actually, do the AI play 'fair' regarding that? I can't tell if they actually have stamina/ki bars since I never see them charge.

They might have a stamina bar because you can guard break them and it seems like they can only do escape moves so many times before they seemingly can't (it seems debatable whether there is just a cooldown that triggers once they've used it a certain number of times).

They could have ki which they generate naturally like the player through melee strikes or by getting hit or by being human. It's really hard to tell.

Nordicus

Yeah. Did quick testing, and it does 5 bars of "damage" to opponent's Ki bar if it hits in the face. Sadly it can be blocked, can't be comboed into without proper paralysis or stun, and it does nothing to a person in SS mode.

It could have been a hilarious "Turn Off Golden Hair" button, but naah.

I do think the enemy AI plays fair in terms of Ki because you can check that number at any time with your scouter. Well, except when they have permanent scripted SS, then we know they're cheating

Muzicfreq

Banned
Yeah. Did quick testing, and it does 5 bars of "damage" to opponent's Ki bar if it hits in the face. Sadly it can be blocked, can't be comboed into without proper paralysis or stun, and it does nothing to a person in SS mode.

It could have been a hilarious "Turn Off Golden Hair" button, but naah.

I do think the enemy AI plays fair in terms of Ki because you can check that number at any time with your scouter. Well, except when they have permanent scripted SS, then we know they're cheating

It doesn't play fair at all. Stamina doesn't ever last that long. Also the fact that they have reflexes of the gods when you teleport or even get into melee range.

qrj8kcT.jpg

The ai is pretty much a clone of the ai in street fighter where if you don't do anything the ai won't do much and is all based on countering your inputs which is why melee feels super gimped in pve

Nordicus

It doesn't play fair at all. Stamina doesn't ever last that long. Also the fact that they have reflexes of the gods when you teleport or even get into melee range.

qrj8kcT.jpg

The ai is pretty much a clone of the ai in street fighter where if you don't do anything the ai won't do much and is all based on countering your inputs which is why melee feels super gimped in pve
I answered to the Ki part. Didn't I say Ki? I did say Ki. You're arguing stamina to a person who agrees with you.

And once I see the AI go for throw twice in a row when I use Evil Whirlwind or Pressure Sign, or get a Just Guard ever (maybe bit of an exaggeration, but it is so rare you could get better results by mashing), I might believe you on the AI being godlike in melee. The AI has unfair amounts of stamina, but it's dumb.

If anything, melee in general and especially strike supers could use a damage boost all around to match more with ki blasts

Muzicfreq

Banned
I answered to the Ki part. Didn't I say Ki? I did say Ki. You're arguing stamina to a person who agrees with you.

And once I see the AI go for throw twice in a row when I use Evil Whirlwind or Pressure Sign, or get a Just Guard ever (maybe bit of an exaggeration, but it is so rare you could get better results by mashing), I might believe you on the AI being godlike in melee. The AI has unfair amounts of stamina, but it's dumb.

If anything, melee in general and especially strike supers could use a damage boost all around to match more with ki blasts

And to allow them to actually land.
Victory Rush misses is the enemy just takes 1 step back it seems. And on Recoome it never lands.

BHK3

Banned
Is there anyone else experiencing some audio issues with this game? I'm playing it on PS4 and all the sound effects including voices are are prone to clipping and distortion.

I'm on steam and I guess for me(because I haven't seen a single complaint but yours) the audio in the game is seriously broken. SFX replay and overlap a lot to make very loud noises, voice lines cut in and out a lot, things get distorted and clip, etc. etc.

The AI does cheat a bit because Super Saiyan form doesn't run out no matter how much you wait.
I think they do have a Stamina meter. Ki meter not so much.

Nordicus

And to allow them to actually land.
Victory Rush misses is the enemy just takes 1 step back it seems. And on Recoome it never lands.
Now imagine if the CPU started dashing around to dodge every single blow after the first hit, and only the last hit connects because it has far better homing properties than the rest. Frieza clan is especially adept at that avoidance strategy

I'd rather do 3 Freedom Kick supers than one Victory Rush these days because Freedom Kick homes in like crazy, doesn't stop if the first hit misses, the latter hits can hit flung away enemies quite easily, and can scoop people up from the ground

Muzicfreq

Banned
Now imagine if the CPU started dashing around to dodge every single blow after the first hit, and only the last hit connects because it has far better homing properties than the rest. Frieza clan is especially adept at that avoidance strategy

I'd rather do 3 Freedom Kick supers than one Victory Rush these days because Freedom Kick homes in like crazy, doesn't stop if the first hit misses, the latter hits can hit flung away enemies quite easily, and can scoop people up from the ground

I'll need to grab Freedom Kick then. But yeah Victory rush is just garbage.... though can be useful for escaping

Nordicus

I'll need to grab Freedom Kick then. But yeah Victory rush is just garbage.... though can be useful for escaping
Victory Rush has one thing it excels at among strike skills, which is breaking the super armor on bosses. They don't actually block when they have super armor on, so Victory Rush deals all its hits and for me has never failed to break super armor by the last hit. Also they can't just do an explosion evasion out of it because you have super armor too during it.

If you have one of those melee comboes that ends with enemy flying upwards only mere 3 meters, then comes back down, Victory Rush can catch that enemy pretty reliably in the air, in my experience.

Calcium

Banned
How much of the gameplay is dependant on memorizing combos? I ask because I'm really not into fighting games, but this looks like it would be a pretty cool nostalgia trip for me. I'd hate to buy it and dislike the gameplay. Is it more of a beat 'em up or a fighting game?

Muzicfreq

Banned
How much of the gameplay is dependant on memorizing combos? I ask because I'm really not into fighting games, but this looks like it would be a pretty cool nostalgia trip for me. I'd hate to buy it and dislike the gameplay. Is it more of a beat 'em up or a fighting game?

a tiny tiny bit but its spammable
Triangle-X-X-X-X like strings.

Muzicfreq

Banned
MAN screw non ranked PVP
Some jackass decided to wait till the last second and then popped health capsule so I lost due to him at full health

Durden77

Didn't they patch this game recently? Did they fix some RNG elements? I still haven't gotten a set of Dragon Balls and I've had the game since launch.

Didn't they patch this game recently? Did they fix some RNG elements? I still haven't gotten a set of Dragon Balls and I've had the game since launch.

There's been patches, but I don't think RNG has been touched at all.

If you're dead set on nabbing the Dragon Balls, run easy PQs (like 2 and 12, IIRC) and restart whenever you don't get a Dragon Ball drop upon defeating the Time Patroller. Shouldn't take too long to grab a whole set, as you won't ever get duplicates.

Respect

For Xenoverse 2
assuming this doesn't get Burst Limit'ed
the Saiyans should simply be able to pick 2 hairstyles. First you pic a set of regular hair and then you pick from a list of Super Saiyan hair.

That is lame, glad the saiyan hair I picked is already standing straight up.

I'm really annoyed that its basically impossible to make a melee oriented female character without gimping yourself.

In fact, one of my biggest complaints about the game is how little freedom you have in customizing your appearance if you're worried about maintaining an optimum build.

Philtastic

I'm really annoyed that its basically impossible to make a melee oriented female character without gimping yourself.

In fact, one of my biggest complaints about the game is how little freedom you have in customizing your appearance if you're worried about maintaining an optimum build.

Player skill trumps the stat differences... unless you're just one to go overboard with hyperbole. Female melee is fine much like male ki use.

You should probably state what you find is so terrible about female melee vs. male.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Melee in pve is pretty gimped due to how the ai works. PvP it is amazing...... Till you face people with the most overpowered skills and z souls

Player skill trumps the stat differences... unless you're just one to go overboard with hyperbole. Female melee is fine much like male ki use.

You should probably state what you find is so terrible about female melee vs. male.

If two players of equal skill played against each other, one with a male melee build and one with a female melee build, the male has an undeniable advantage and will likely win. It's not hyperbole; it's how the game was designed.

Sure, skill theoretically trumps inbuilt racial/gender bonuses, but the fact remains that the game is intensely rigid when one wants to build with optimum effectiveness in mind.

Muzicfreq

Banned
If two players of equal skill played against each other, one with a male melee build and one with a female melee build, the male has an undeniable advantage and will likely win. It's not hyperbole; it's how the game was designed.

Sure, skill theoretically trumps inbuilt racial/gender bonuses, but the fact remains that the game is intensely rigid when one wants to build with optimum effectiveness in mind.
Dunno about that. I have gone against people my skill level on my female saiyan as melee and the other being male and still won.

Dunno about that. I have gone against people my skill level on my female saiyan as melee and the other being male and still won.

That seems more a testament to your skill.

Also, was the male saiyan using a ki build? Male earthlings and saiyans have lower ki damage, just like how female earthlings and saiyans have lower strike damage.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
heh level 25 and beat the crap out of vegeta's final training session felt soo good was tough though

Philtastic

And how often does that actually happen? You are also assuming identical builds and costumes. A single skill can make all the difference (such as Change the Future/God Breaker, Super Guard, a ranged super on a melee character, Super Drain for stamina regen, Instant Rise escape vs. others which allows you to teleport out of ultimates) and stacking the "wrong" stat on costumes can actually be beneficial in making you more versatile, able to switch styles mid-battle. And then you have Z-souls which can completely change how a build works.

There are far more degrees of freedom in this game vs. a regular fighting game to reduce our analysis to one factor.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Game comes in the mail tomorrow. Any advice for creating a character?

I'd like to create a melee fighter.
Do not touch melee builds for story. Stay far far away for m them till you beat the story.

Go saiyan
Get vegeta as your mentor when he's in town
Get the skill super sandwich and a ki charge skill
Final flash to victory with a ki blast super and heath spec

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So i keep hearing about this game all over the place and its getting huge sales.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, i just want to know honestly...what exactly about the game is so good that its getting all this attention?

Like what is it doing that's better than ultimate tenkaichi, raging blast or the other bad 7th gen DBZ games? I haven't kept up with any DBZ after tenkaichi 3 on PS2 mind you, so i'm really curious. I ight pick this up if i can get some positive impressions from those who may have it

DedValve

Banned
Making girls in this game really suck. I was hoping to make a strong intimidating women that could tower over people like a namekian but the tallest girl is barely taller than krillin =/

And no bulk or proper head options to choose from. I'll stick with males and other species for now. Also wish I could make a slim male buu.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Do not touch melee builds for story. Stay far far away for m them till you beat the story.

Go saiyan
Get vegeta as your mentor when he's in town
Get the skill super sandwich and a ki charge skill
Final flash to victory with a ki blast super and heath spec

I've had no issues so far with story as a melee female human build. Currently at level 48 or so, just reached the
Whis/Beerus
fight. I'm guessing I'll need to cheese that fight if I don't want to grind more levels.

I have like 90 in basic attack, a small bit in health, enough in stamina to give me 2 more bars, and a bit in ki to give me another bar there. I'll likely dump the rest of my points in stamina and ki supers. I basically can take down most of an enemy's health with a couple Kaioken boosted combos, then finish them off with Final Flash. Probably can't do that in this next battle.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Making girls in this game really suck. I was hoping to make a strong intimidating women that could tower over people like a namekian but the tallest girl is barely taller than krillin =/

And no bulk or proper head options to choose from. I'll stick with males and other species for now. Also wish I could make a slim male buu.
Tallest female is actually as tall as goku

BHK3

Banned
Terrible advice. Armored enemies are annoying but meele is much more satisfying. Spamming beams is boring as hell.

If you find getting destroyed nonstop to be exciting go ahead, otherwise melee builds for story is a death sentence.

Tesseract

Banned
So i keep hearing about this game all over the place and its getting huge sales.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, i just want to know honestly...what exactly about the game is so good that its getting all this attention?

Like what is it doing that's better than ultimate tenkaichi, raging blast or the other bad 7th gen DBZ games? I haven't kept up with any DBZ after tenkaichi 3 on PS2 mind you, so i'm really curious. I ight pick this up if i can get some positive impressions from those who may have it

yeah i don't really get it either, the combat (seems) like a huge step down from tenkaichi 3, among others

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
yeah i don't really get it either, the combat (seems) like a huge step down from tenkaichi 3

yeah, i saw some gameplay just to see what was going on with it, the models look decent enough but the graphics of the levels were all PS2 quality and the combat was really janky with a weird target lock on thing instead of the "there you are!" mechanic of the tenkaichi series. Burst limit looks like what a next gen DBZ PS4 game should look like based on these visuals and that was from 8(!!!) years ago.

Even so, i'm willing to forgive many things if any of you guys can just give me some kinda cool element this game has that isnt with the other more recent titles.

I know that there's some time thing or whatever going on and the DBZ MMO storyline stuff is being incorporated into it..what's that all about?

Top Bottom