• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

May I just say that I'm amazed by how popular this game has been here! I was intrigued so I did a quick check for the OT's of previous games

Raging Blast 2: 73 posts
Ultimate Tenkaichi: 205 posts
Battle of Z: 278 posts

and now we're here with this post being the 6,338th post, coupled with new Dragon Ball Z threads in off-topic appearing so often and being posted in a lot. God, feels like the franchise is getting more popular again.

Yeah the DBZ fever has been great here lately. New movies...a great game...good time to be a fan.

Calcium

Banned
I finally managed to track down a copy. Took 3 Gamestops, but I did it. As far as character creation goes does it really matter which race I choose? Back when I watched the show Piccolo was my favorite character so I'm leaning Namekian, but I'd be denying myself that badass Super Saiyan moment. Is transformation cool enough that I should go Saiyan?

patchday

Super Saiyan/KiBlasts is might be more newbie friendly. Havent made my Namekian yet so can't comment on that. They are the not very common along with Male Buus

I finally managed to track down a copy. Took 3 Gamestops, but I did it. As far as character creation goes does it really matter which race I choose? Back when I watched the show Piccolo was my favorite character so I'm leaning Namekian, but I'd be denying myself that badass Super Saiyan moment. Is transformation cool enough that I should go Saiyan?

Choose whatever you like the most. You'll get more character slots when the story missions are complete, at which point you can do whatever you want.

Just play what you want, you'll unlock a fuckton of character slots anyways, plus equipment and skills are all shared so you can try everything out.

Nordicus

The character creation matters. Races have their natural advantages, and your character's frame decides how fast/tanky they are, and how oriented towards ranged/melee they are too.

Is Super Saiyan "cool" enough? Eh, I don't think so. It's certainly powerful since it allows you to turn PvE into a joke with endless Ulti spam, but your hair doesn't change in anything but color, and it isn't a story moment. You get it either as a drop from a side-quest or buy it off the skill shop later on.

I am kinda sour that my Majin can't use sword skills though... humans and Saiyans only.

Go for the Namekian if you want to, you'll be tough to tie down in melee and kill, not to mention you use your stretchy arms in your melee moves

Calcium

Banned
I am kinda sour that my Majin can't use sword skills though... humans and Saiyans only.

Go for the Namekian if you want to, you'll be tough to tie down in melee and kill, not to mention you use your stretchy arms in your melee moves

Wait, I can use a sword? That's awesome. This is going to be a tough choice.

Razzorn34

Wait, I can use a sword? That's awesome. This is going to be a tough choice.

Sword skills. Big difference. Your regular attacks will still be punches/kicks.

There are some skills that you can only use by being a certain race. Speaking of this... Does anyone have a list of racial only abilities?

Steam updated

1OEeT3p.png

EDIT: ah beaten like Yamcha already ^^

Philtastic

I'm not enjoying these high level battles.

Basic attacks and strike supers are useless. I just keep flying in circles shooting ki blasts and eventually a final flash.

My earthling was suposed to be a melee character but soon i discovered melee wasn't effective.

Or am i doing something wrong?

Last PQ i tried was one given by Goten. I can beat him and Trunks easily. It's a fun fight as i can use all my arsenal against them. No bullshit. But then it's Trunks/Vegeta turn. Super sayan ultimate spam bullshit time.

Basically, with 1 vs. multiple opponent fights, everyone, even ranged, generally end up ultimate spamming because that's the most efficient way of doing damage while being invulnerable. It's not a problem specific to melee characters. I haven't done the higher PQs as melee yet (my character is a ki super saiyan) but here's two videos with this same ranged character doing PQ32 Super Saiyan Bargain Sale (similar to the Goten PQ just less rounds and lower level) with melee skills with ultimate spam and without (although I fail without but, if I had all points in melee stats, I would have probably beaten it: currently have 0 strike supers and 18 basic attack at level 54-55).

Edit: For the ultimate spam, you should bring skills that can deal with that. I recommend Super Guard (drain your ki slowly but makes you immune to everything) or Change the Future/God Breaker (blocks supers/ultimates and teleport into their face/behind them for a big attack) and the escape move Instant Rise which teleports you in the direction you're pushing to get out of ultimate spam.

Melee with ultimate spam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wv3ZViRnOg

Melee without ultimates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpikwoAgOyk

Also, for super armour, the best strategy is still using ultimates to bring it down (such as Victory Rush which hits enough times to break the armour) but, if for whatever reason you don't want to cheese it like that, you need to be willing to pour all of your stamina into vanishing to continue the assault until you break the armour. You then need a way to quickly replenish your stamina to prepare for the next round (or be ready to use an ultimate since now you should have a ton of ki from beating up the AI). I don't know of too many 1 vs. 1 super armour PQs yet so I made a video of PQ15 Explosion of Namek which has a super armoured Frieza. Basically, I bait the AI to attack while I block and use vanish for only 1 stamina bar to start combo'ing from behind then vanish when I start getting hit and keep striking until I break through. I use Super Drain to get my stamina back and can just keep going like that. Ideally, I would side-step the AI's initial attacks but I'm finding it nearly impossible to do on keyboard/mouse which is a bit of a shame but, with enough stamina, the block-bait is good enough of an opener.

Frieza super armour as melee, no ultimate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gqg1f9s8cA

For 1 vs. 2 super armour (near end of story mode character spoiler)
(eg. Beerus and Whis)
, yeah, ultimate spam is, I think, the only way since you can't disable either of them so you'll constantly get interrupted.

patchday

I'm not enjoying these high level battles.

Basic attacks and strike supers are useless. I just keep flying in circles shooting ki blasts and eventually a final flash.

My earthling was suposed to be a melee character but soon i discovered melee wasn't effective.

Or am i doing something wrong?

Last PQ i tried was one given by Goten. I can beat him and Trunks easily. It's a fun fight as i can use all my arsenal against them. No bullshit. But then it's Trunks/Vegeta turn. Super sayan ultimate spam bullshit time.

That's what confuses me about this game. Why all the gang bangs? Why does kid trunks / goten invite the player to come 'spar' and immediately player gets assaulted 2 vs 1.

I wonder to myself what is the developers vision for this game in that regard? I guess the player is like a "super boss" in the context of the Draognball world where just Goku alone cannot hope to win. He has to bring all of his friends to have a chance against the player. Just seems kind of weird.

And they know they are still using basic fighting game mechanics where the NPCs can perform combos to stun the player

Worse- average player probably never uses evasion techniques or has too small a Stamina pool to even try. So they just sit there and get pwned

Majin Buu race at least is granted a once in 20 second immunity to stuns but I feel for other inferior races lol

patchday

Was that DLC supposed to have only 3 PQs and 3 story quests?
I finished them so damn quickly. Wasn't it 12 PQs or something?

I wonder what are the rewards? Any cool new z-souls? There's gotta be some hook in there so they can get a lot of mileage out of the content

FootballFan

May I just say that I'm amazed by how popular this game has been here! I was intrigued so I did a quick check for the OT's of previous games

Raging Blast 2: 73 posts
Ultimate Tenkaichi: 205 posts
Battle of Z: 278 posts

and now we're here with this post being the 6,338th post, coupled with new Dragon Ball Z threads in off-topic appearing so often and being posted in a lot. God, feels like the franchise is getting more popular again.

loool

Ever since FootballGAF got banned, my post history consists of just dragon ball threads lol.

<3 Dragon Ball

This game and that new movie have given the series a new life.

Philtastic

That's what confuses me about this game. Why all the gang bangs? Why does kid trunks / goten invite the player to come 'spar' and immediately player gets assaulted 2 vs 1.

I wonder to myself what is the developers vision for this game in that regard? I guess the player is like a "super boss" in the context of the Draognball world where just Goku alone cannot hope to win. He has to bring all of his friends to have a chance against the player. Just seems kind of weird.

And they know they are still using basic fighting game mechanics where the NPCs can perform combos to stun the player

Worse- average player probably never uses evasion techniques or has too small a Stamina pool to even try. So they just sit there and get pwned

Majin Buu race at least is granted a once in 20 second immunity to stuns but I feel for other inferior races lol

Having mult-person fights not only changes up the pace so that you're not just doing the same thing over and over (unless you're a saiyan ultimate spamming) and encourages coop play so that it's not a 1 vs. many fight.

If solo, the key is to even the odds by taking one of them temporarily out of the fight so that it's 1 vs. 1 and you can build ki through 1, maybe 2, regular combos and repeat which allows you to use your supers or ultimates to put them down for good. This can be done via throw or the knockback attack (ki blast + heavy attack simultaneously) which instantly hits the opponent decently far away. Crowd control is pretty important in most games when the player is outnumbered. I think it should also be expected that a player should realize that just storming in against two or more opponents is probably a bad idea after being beat up a number of times.

Nordicus

Hmm, I think my favorite defensive Z-soul "You'll Never beat An Android" was nerfed a bit. Or fixed, who knows if the stamina recovery was twice as big as it should be because of 60fps.

I noticed it when I actually couldn't block Final Flash or Super Kamehameha and gain stamina from that. No big deal I suppose, just have to be a bit more careful around ultis

levyjl1988

Banned
After 100's of hours invested in this game I can't wait for Xenoverse 2.

The improvements I can see is:

-Seamless team addition when playing quests.
I always play with the same two people in my games but whenever I play a parallel quests I always have to re-invite them again and again, rather than be on the same team and select a quest together once accomplished, select another quest. In other words I wish it was like Destiny's fireteam and went where ever the leader wanted to go, with verbal input and disagreement among the people involved.

-The portals are annoying.
A rather seamless world would be great. I know it takes place in rather radical environments and it makes sense to have portals, but seamless integrating and flying from location to location would be great.

-Skippable cutscenes when a CPU arrives
I've been doing the same parallel quest over and over again and the same CPU comes in with his own set of cutscenes. I just want to skip his entry cutscene and charge my ki while that is happening.

-Ranking is confusing
Ranking is confusing and requires luck, especially in getting untouchable. If you are a strike build you have a slim chance of actually not getting damaged. For ki users there's always the charging of the ki but CPU seem at aggro on to you unintended and knock that chance of getting it. In future parallel quest it's pretty much necessary to have untouchable.

-The ability to preview clothing gear
There's no such option in the shop

-The ability to preview a quick video of the skill you obtained (super and ultimate)
Would be nice to see a quick video rather than equipping it and trying it out only to find out it's not for you.

-A practice mode
Rather than going in on a match to do tests.

-More characters
There's many characters missing, either suspect of being DLC but nothing announced. Where's the androids and their own quests. It could have extended the overall storyline significantly as time patrol is quickly beaten in a day or two.

-More stages
Variety is the spice of life.

-The ability to gift gear regardless of ranking.
So you can remove the farming.

Make it an open world Dragon ball game with Skyrim, Far Cry 4, type of vastness. That would be incredible and the ability to fly up and see earth from a distance. Then again this could be next next gen stuff.

Philtastic

After 100's of hours invested in this game I can't wait for Xenoverse 2.

The improvements I can see is:

-Seamless team addition when playing quests.
I always play with the same two people in my games but whenever I play a parallel quests I always have to re-invite them again and again, rather than be on the same team and select a quest together once accomplished, select another quest. In other words I wish it was like Destiny's fireteam and went where ever the leader wanted to go, with verbal input and disagreement among the people involved.

-The portals are annoying.
A rather seamless world would be great. I know it takes place in rather radical environments and it makes sense to have portals, but seamless integrating and flying from location to location would be great.

-Skippable cutscenes when a CPU arrives
I've been doing the same parallel quest over and over again and the same CPU comes in with his own set of cutscenes. I just want to skip his entry cutscene and charge my ki while that is happening.

-Ranking is confusing
Ranking is confusing and requires luck, especially in getting untouchable. If you are a strike build you have a slim chance of actually not getting damaged. For ki users there's always the charging of the ki but CPU seem at aggro on to you unintended and knock that chance of getting it. In future parallel quest it's pretty much necessary to have untouchable.

-The ability to preview clothing gear
There's no such option in the shop

-The ability to preview a quick video of the skill you obtained (super and ultimate)
Would be nice to see a quick video rather than equipping it and trying it out only to find out it's not for you.

-A practice mode
Rather than going in on a match to do tests.

-More characters
There's many characters missing, either suspect of being DLC but nothing announced. Where's the androids and their own quests. It could have extended the overall storyline significantly as time patrol is quickly beaten in a day or two.

-More stages
Variety is the spice of life.

-The ability to gift gear regardless of ranking.
So you can remove the farming.

Make it an open world Dragon ball game with Skyrim, Far Cry 4, type of vastness. That would be incredible and the ability to fly up and see earth from a distance. Then again this could be next next gen stuff.

Totally agree with this list. I would also add that they should tweak ultimates to have less invincibility frames which is what allows them to be spammed with impunity. I think it should be more of a high risk-high reward attack where they have a long windup and cast time so you generally need to set it up properly to minimize your chance of getting interrupted (eg. perform a combo first to disable opponent) rather than being able to chain them back to back while the opponent has limited means to do anything about it.

patchday

Having mult-person fights not only changes up the pace so that you're not just doing the same thing over and over (unless you're a saiyan ultimate spamming) and encourages coop play so that it's not a 1 vs. many fight.

If solo, the key is to even the odds by taking one of them temporarily out of the fight so that it's 1 vs. 1 and you can build ki through 1, maybe 2, regular combos and repeat which allows you to use your supers or ultimates to put them down for good. This can be done via throw or the knockback attack (ki blast + heavy attack simultaneously) which instantly hits the opponent decently far away. Crowd control is pretty important in most games when the player is outnumbered. I think it should also be expected that a player should realize that just storming in against two or more opponents is probably a bad idea after being beat up a number of times.

I've personally beaten all the main 2 vs 1 gang bangs myself. Just questioning why they are there in the solo fights (like the infamous Beerus/Whis vs player in the story mode).

Yeah I don't see how spending 5 minutes flying around to get to your next spit to fight would be fun. The portal system as is is easy to operate and gets the job done. Never had any issues with it. Especially since your scouter actually tells you if enemies are present through whatever gate you are looking st.

Now if they had some sort of quest / RPG type mode then that could be cool as open world.

The main thing I want in the next one is the destructibility to be ramped up and mimic the show. Punch through mountains if the dude moves out of the way. Toss a guy so hard into the ground it makes a giant crater and stays there. Blow giant caverns into the ocean with your kamehameha and watch it have to fill back in. That sort of stuff.

The problem with the portals is seeing that same loading screen pop up when you could be going back and forth which can be annoying, or even maddening when you're grinding. If they can diminish that or somehow, and this is just wishful thinking really, have Valve's Portal-esque Portals, these could fix that annoyance outright.

The problem with the portals is seeing that same loading screen pop up when you could be going back and forth which can annoying, or even worse when you're grinding. If they can diminish that or somehow or, and this is just wishful thinking, have Valve's Portal-esque Portals could fix that annoyance outright.

They have to mask the load somehow. Characters flying into the sky would be the only other option, but would not account for going offworld or underground. The portals as currently implemented are the best option.

How long are the load times for you guys, anyways? On my PC it's between 1-5 seconds. Nothing at all.

Philtastic

I've personally beaten all the main 2 vs 1 gang bangs myself. Just questioning why they are there in the solo fights (like the infamous Beerus/Whis vs player in the story mode).

1) Challenge. This is the
God of Destruction and his teacher
afterall.
2) Encourages the player to experiment with skills and different tactics.
3) May encourage them to do PQs and level up more. That fight is almost at the "end" of the game.

They have to mask the load somehow. Characters flying into the sky would be the only other option, but would not account for going offworld or underground. The portals as currently implemented are the best option.

How long are the load times for you guys, anyways? On my PC it's between 1-5 seconds. Nothing at all.

They're not long, pretty much the same time as you on Xbox One. They don't bother me all that much, just only when I feel repetition in grinding and what not. Just throwing out ideas since I honestly don't want another mission-based game type falling into a perceived necessity for an open world.

But again, for another DBZ series that's more RPG like, open world would be grand.

dlauv

RNG is a bit painful on some of these longer missions. I'm trying to get Super Vegeta 1 at the moment, and the final part just won't trigger.

NeonZ

Story-wise, in the beginning, they explain the parallel quests, although I can't remember it all. Something about shards that remain after the timeline is fixed and how they need to be contrained before expanding and causing irreversible damage to the real timeline. It even warns from the start that you might need to face people you'd usually consider allies there. So, those characters in the parallel quests, like the Goten and Trunks you're facing, or the Goku and Piccolo you kill while helping Radtiz aren't "real".

Gameplay-wise, they clearly just wanted to showcase their multi-target battle system in a variety of scenarios.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The fact that each of the Canon Characters have so many builds to choose from, and you can't see what each Skill does from the Select Screen as far as I can tell, really discourages me from using them.

Like I've barely touched them. It's just easier and funner to mess around with the C.A.C.

Any opinions on the Canon Characters yet? I guess most people haven't really messed with them much either and are using their C.A.C.'s.
Weird. I mean, I've messed with them a ton and lots of them are awesome. Try them out with PQs you're comfortable with if there are skills you don't understand. Lots of them are more powerful than my PC is for the momen. I really like that they offer different versions/builds for each character as it lends even more variety to the gameplay.

Philtastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUPHpi-wYE

Not sure if I'm an idiot and this is common knowledge but I just realized you can manually do the teleport vanish without using stamina. I did it by accident on one of the last missions even though I'm already level 80...welp.

O.O How are you doing this!?

Oh shit, that's pretty cool! I think I remember accidentally doing that a handful of times but didn't know how to do it properly. You can find it detailed on this page here:
http://www.primagames.com/games/dra...icks-jump-cancel-step-cancel-meterless-vanish

I'm not sure if it's described in the in-game tutorials, however. Basically, hit jump as you finish a dash or side-step to "vanish".

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If you tap the boost button instead of holding it you get a small dash, hitting whatever jump is set to lets you teleport from this. So for me on the default controls it's tap L2 + direction + X, you can go any direction with it.

Also works out of the actual boost if you hit a direction + X during the ending animation

Nordicus

Yes, yes, yes! After grinding PQ48 for Hyper Drain, I've finally found all Strike skills that you can only get in Parallel Quest drops!

Also came to sad realization that out of 49 Ultimates, only 7 are strikes.

Hellix

Yes, yes, yes! After grinding PQ48 for Hyper Drain, I've finally found all Strike skills that you can only get in Parallel Quest drops!

Can you list what those 7 are? I got none so far.

Muzicfreq

Banned
If you tap the boost button instead of holding it you get a small dash, hitting whatever jump is set to lets you teleport from this. So for me on the default controls it's tap L2 + direction + X, you can go any direction with it.

Also works out of the actual boost if you hit a direction + X during the ending animation

This somehow never works for me.

NVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIzZa2RR3o
So helpful. Only works off forward stepping.
Though tapping twice is bad since it cancels it right away... Maybe? I dunno

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This somehow never works for me.

NVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIzZa2RR3o
So helpful. Only works off forward stepping.
Though tapping twice is bad since it cancels it right away... Maybe? I dunno

Yeah, you cancel the teleport right away if you hit it twice.

It seems like if you're locked on it only works from forward, but the dash itself can be influenced around and move left/right/backwards. Dunno how useful it'll be but it's neat.

Maligna

Banned

What is hyper drain? I got a drain move from Shenron. What's the difference between them?

RBK

Banned
Any tips on beating Mira? Once the long monologue is over with him standing still, it's all over from there.

Level 15 Saiyan as well.

Nordicus

What is hyper drain? I got a drain move from Shenron. What's the difference between them?
Well, there's Super Drain, Drain Charge and Hyper Drain, first grabs the enemy to absorb stamina, second absorbs Ki and third absorbs both. But because Hyper Drain absorbs both, afaik, it's slower and blockable.

The drain move you get from Shenron is different. More of a utility skill

Welfare

Any tips on beating Mira? Once the long monologue is over with him standing still, it's all over from there.

Level 15 Saiyan as well.

How the hell?

I got lucky in my Mira fight. His AI borked and wouldn't attack. Just went around the map while I wailed on him.

Top Bottom