• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Nordicus

Is there a full list of unlocks (characters, gear, moves) out there yet? Or being compiled?
You have move and Z-soul (unique passives that you can equip one at a time) lists in youtube video form, character list is in this thread's first page, and I think there is a Steam community guide for clothes

Edit: although there is no compiled list of all the character variations. Every alternate costume of a character actually has slightly different moves. There are like a dozen variations of just Goku

Lupercal

Banned
Loving the game so far, only one major flaw in the game for me.
The 1v1 offline mode is horrible when playing against another person.

The camera is all over the place and it's a damn shame because I thought this was my tenkaichi killer.
Guess I still gotta hang on to that PS2.

Maligna

Banned
So I've spent the last two nights doing nothing but PQ47, trying to get Vegito to drop "Pressure Sign". Getting pretty tired of it. Is this move even worth it? Trying to get a counter nice for my melee/strike character. The other counters I have are ki attacks so they don't do me any good.

I also heard something about a move called burst rush. Is that any good?

Nordicus

So I've spent the last two nights doing nothing but PQ47, trying to get Vegito to drop "Pressure Sign". Getting pretty tired of it. Is this move even worth it? Trying to get a counter nice for my melee/strike character. The other counters I have are ki attacks so they don't do me any good.

I also heard something about a move called burst rush. Is that any good?
If you want both a safe (as in, the attack portion is safe) ranged counter and melee counter in one neat package then you want Pressure Sign. It does have one weakness though, where the counter window ends much before the actual animation does, so you got a second of simple posing at the end that won't counter anything, leaving you a bit vulnerable if you time it too early.

Burst Rush is a really good, damaging melee-only counter that "Ultimate" Gohan uses. Because it hits the front, the enemy is much less likely to dodge the counter with simple mobility (or lag), and the skill ends with the enemy on the ground so you usually end up closer to your opponent than with the other counters that tend to send them flying away.

Jaeger

You have move and Z-soul (unique passives that you can equip one at a time) lists in youtube video form, character list is in this thread's first page, and I think there is a Steam community guide for clothes

Edit: although there is no compiled list of all the character variations. Every alternate costume of a character actually has slightly different moves. There are like a dozen variations of just Goku

I appreciate that. I can't wait to get started.

*coughs up blood*

Tsumiya, do not bear a grudge towards those people, they can barely handle a fight without vomiting their stamina out and getting wombo combo'ed to oblivion. Their existence is bad enough already. But there is something I must say...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK Symphonic Destruction! Blegh!

*dies with -50 BP*

My god i am dying XD vomiting their stamina out & getting wombo combo'ed ! im laughing way to much.

ALSO Important news for XB1 users of Xenoverse. not sure about other platforms but if you go to xenoverse & hit manage game, you will see the GT pack one pop up in your instal now area. Just grabbed it myself and GT kid goku is so fun ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

Apologies if this has been done before, but seeing as I'm nearly done with story mode I was wondering if you all could give suggestions on making a Namekian ki blaster work.

I was thinking about going full into ki blast, and partially into health/basic. Using supers to finish off combos or fire big ults.

Any ideas of some good supers to use while comboing? Worth considering kaioken/poses?

I'm not good at brainstorming builds in these types of games, so it helps getting some feedback.

Maligna

Banned
If you want both a safe (as in, the attack portion is safe) ranged counter and melee counter in one neat package then you want Pressure Sign. It does have one weakness though, where the counter window ends much before the actual animation does, so you got a second of simple posing at the end that won't counter anything, leaving you a bit vulnerable if you time it too early.

Burst Rush is a really good, damaging melee-only counter that "Ultimate" Gohan uses. Because it hits the front, the enemy is much less likely to dodge the counter with simple mobility (or lag), and the skill ends with the enemy on the ground so you usually end up closer to your opponent than with the other counters that tend to send them flying away.

Ugh. I might settle for Burst Rush. Pressure Sign is impossible to get. Vegito only shows up like 1 in 5 times, it takes 10 minutes to get to that point to see if he'll appear and he never drops it any ways.

Steel

Banned
Apologies if this has been done before, but seeing as I'm nearly done with story mode I was wondering if you all could give suggestions on making a Namekian ki blaster work.

I was thinking about going full into ki blast, and partially into health/basic. Using supers to finish off combos or fire big ults.

Any ideas of some good supers to use while comboing? Worth considering kaioken/poses?

I'm not good at brainstorming builds in these types of games, so it helps getting some feedback.

For ki blasts to combo with, Milky Blast(super) is a great shield against medium ki blasts and can be used as a giant floating mine with adjustable range(Depending on how long you hold it, it doesn't take longer to shoot though). It fires fast enough that it can be used with everything and it's always fun to set up a milky blast and knock someone into it with a physical combo, you can get this move by being trained by captain ginyu. Along the same lines is genocide shell, except the move is even faster and can be used in the middle of a physical teleport combo no problem, it sets up 4 smaller mines in a 180 degree circle that also blocks ki blasts and has knockback, however it doesn't have adjustable range which is a fair trade-off(Saiyan revolt, final tier difficulty mission is where you get it). These are the best comboing supers I have, and are great choices in my book. For long range Big Bang attack is a solid all around choice as it does lots of damage and functions as a shield while it's being cast.

As for ultimates: Super ghost kamikaze(ultimate version) is great for comboing with anything, you're invulnerable while casting and five ghosts appear behind you that function like homing soul mass in Dark souls(you get it from gotenks trainer). If you start punching a guy who's running away while you have the ghosts equipped you'll do massive damage during the combo. An ultimate I don't have that is outright overpowered is Super Electric strike. It has insane range, is incredibly difficult to dodge, and does pretty damn good damage to boot. The only way to dodge it is to start rising or falling the moment it gets shot or to use a teleport dodge/evasive the moment it gets shot/hits you(No way to dodge horizontally due to the fact that it has 180 degree coverage), but when players shoot it there's no audio cue as to when that is.

As for the latter stuff: get kaioken, get angry shout, optionally get rise to action to maintain kaioken. While in Kaikokenx20 anything that uses stamina is free, angry shout is an evasive skill that's a get out of any attack free while doing damage and stunning the enemy, and it also recharges your ki so you don't need power charge. Rise to action recharges your stamina, I equip it occasionally, but if I have ultimates that make me invunerable equipped then I just fully drain my stamina out of Kaioken and prep those if I'm about to get hit, so you can get kaioken faster.

If you don't decide to go with angry shout with Kaioken, I have final pose builds that work pretty well as well. FInal pose is an evasive(free in Kaioken) that drastically increases your attack power. You can do some pretty mean damage with the buff equipped.

First I thought you meant Blue Hurricane but I doubt it because it's not that common and avoiding the move is doable even when it surprises you, so it's not super popular. You talk about the move where the character swings their finger left and right and fans the area in front of them with a whirlwind that comboes you? That is Symphonic Destruction, and it's an absolute BS move. Comes out instantly, odd hitbox, huge damage, and gives full on invulnerability rather than super armor.

Figures it belongs to Whis.

Lagamorph

Just found out that if you're transformed at the end of a story battle, you'll also be transformed in the cut scene afterwards.

Makes that scene after the
fight with Mira during the Buu saga
even more epic to be powered up to Super Saiyan while doing it.

Astral

Just found out that if you're transformed at the end of a story battle, you'll also be transformed in any cut scene afterwards.

I was transformed during the ending. It was cool during the last few cutscenes against the final boss but it felt like overkill during the peaceful epilogue.

Just found out that if you're transformed at the end of a story battle, you'll also be transformed in the cut scene afterwards.

If you're transformed at the end of every pre-cut scene battle then you'll be transformed during the cut scene, just an fyi.

Nordicus

To support a sort of "melee blaster" build, you need the right kind of Z-soul, preferrably any that lets you recover Ki quickly. Androids have plenty of nice ones for that. The "Bwahaha" named souls either give large amounts of ki when you use melee attacks or when you are damaged. Then the Android 17 and 18 z-souls usually give passive ki regeneration. If you can generate sufficient Ki for your purposes without the need for a Charge ability, you can open up a super slot for something else.

And if you're going to get Kaioken, you want to have high stamina. Doesn't look like you're concentrating on that much, so your Kaioken use is going to be a bunch of short sessions where you deal ~10-15% extra damage (and free escapes/vanishes with x20) with the risk that an offense gone bad will put you in a horrible defenseless state immediately. You'd need to be much better with stamina upkeep and management, and I'd say it's not worth it for you.

A single pose setup could work. Maybe the super armor pose, whichever that was, you could use that to brute force through enemy melee a little and land a few confirming hits that combo into a super. It'll be a series of mudfights but keeping your skirmishes short and sweet and explosive could give you an edge.

However, if you've thought about high damage combo extenders, Android 18's taught Power Blitz does the trick. Comes out insanely fast and flinches the enemy but does not smack them away, and if they've teleported behind you, Power Blitz will usually track and hit them there too.
For ki blasts to combo with, Milky Blast(super) is a great shield against medium ki blasts and can be used as a giant floating mine with adjustable range(Depending on how long you hold it, it doesn't take longer to shoot though). It fires fast enough that it can be used with everything and it's always fun to set up a milky blast and knock someone into it with a physical combo, you can get this move by being trained by captain ginyu.
Milky Cannon is a great skill and I've seen some people deliberately aim it away from the enemy, so if the enemy tries to rush you in melee range, you've basically armed your own body with a bomb because the Milky Cannon will track and go through your character model and hit the opponent mid-attack. Clever trick, basically like a melee trap.

Another skill that's decent as combo finisher is Finish Buster. Even if you've sent someone flying away with a knockback, Finish Buster travels so quick that it'll catch them more often than not. Pretty good damage too from my experience.
An ultimate I don't have that is outright overpowered is Super Electric strike. It has insane range, is incredibly difficult to dodge, and does pretty damn good damage to boot. The only way to dodge it is to start rising or falling the moment it gets shot or to use a teleport dodge/evasive the moment it gets shot/hits you(No way to dodge horizontally due to the fact that it has 180 degree coverage), but when players shoot it there's no audio cue as to when that is.
The closer an enemy is, the more dangerous SES tends to be, yes. It is a huge crescent shape projectile but lacks tracking, so flying away before descending or ascending will help it whiff. Unless you've had the SES animation almost memorized, then you can dash-vanish over and behind the enemy the moment they start swinging their green charged arms. Block-vanish might work too, haven't tried that much but I'd reckon that right in front of enemy's face you could dodge it that way

Respect

Playing this has gotten me to check out some youtube videos, had to have been about 12 years since I last watched the show with any frequency. Defnitely brought back the nostalgia re-watching some clips. Majin Vegeta v Goku is still my favorite fight.
Vegeta is my favorite character.

I'm also reminded about DBZ's concept of time...it is worse than Kramer's level of time awareness.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Is the DLC out? My friend has the season pass but nothing is downloading on PS4. And the individual DLC pack still shows up at 10$.

EDIT: Okay, had to restore the license. Now it's giving me error E-8200011A.

EDIT2: Had to restart the console, geez...

BHK3

Banned
First I thought you meant Blue Hurricane but I doubt it because it's not that common and avoiding the move is doable even when it surprises you, so it's not super popular. You talk about the move where the character swings their finger left and right and fans the area in front of them with a whirlwind that comboes you? That is Symphonic Destruction, and it's an absolute BS move. Comes out instantly, odd hitbox, huge damage, and gives full on invulnerability rather than super armor.

? The move is bad because if you block/counter even 1 hit of it it doesn't hurt you anymore. At least that's what the AI does all the time to me, they just get hit by my allies and than completely ignore my ult.

Nordicus

? The move is bad because if you block/counter even 1 hit of it it doesn't hurt you anymore. At least that's what the AI does all the time to me, they just get hit by my allies and than completely ignore my ult.
Hmm, you are correct, consumes miniscule stamina on block. However that mere 1 second startup time is brutal. I will have to try blocking it in PvP proper

You guys rock. I made some changes to my skill set and farmed the Super 17 Z Soul and my character plays just how I wanted.

Still experimenting with skills but I'm mostly using Big Bang Attack, DIE DIE to use off combos till I find some other stuff. For ultimates I use Special Beam Cannon and Electric Strike. I like em both.

Really though the Z Soul was what I needed. If I get hit at all, even blocking the bars add up fast and I often have full ki in PVE. I tried a couple of others, namely the auto charge android ones and they don't work quite as fluidly. The other one I might try is the nerfed Bwa Ha Ha...

Does anyone know how the first part of that soul works? "Increases speed of ki charge" does this mean when you do basic attacks?

Revven

So, there's a scan floating around that reveals most of DLC Pack 2's content and when it's coming out, I would post it but you know the rules about scans:

-Pan as a Master
-2 PQs
-More Time Patrol Quests (continues the GT story)
-Eis, Nova, Towa, and Mira are the new playable characters
-22 new moves
-Towa's and Mira's clothes for your CaC (that's all it shows but it says etc. so there's likely more costumes than just these two)
-Comes out at the end of the month

Much more content in terms of skills and characters but less quests overall compared to Pack 1.

Disappointed they are selling Towa and Mira but it is what it is...

Nordicus

I'm getting weirdly good with Nappa's 1st variant despite his reaction speed for back attacks being horrendous. Lost only by a tiny bit against my friend twice, and one time I actually won against his long practiced melee CaC. I might know his fighting style a bit too well now
You guys rock. I made some changes to my skill set and farmed the Super 17 Z Soul and my character plays just how I wanted.

Still experimenting with skills but I'm mostly using Big Bang Attack, DIE DIE to use off combos till I find some other stuff. For ultimates I use Special Beam Cannon and Electric Strike. I like em both.

Really though the Z Soul was what I needed. If I get hit at all, even blocking the bars add up fast and I often have full ki in PVE. I tried a couple of others, namely the auto charge android ones and they don't work quite as fluidly. The other one I might try is the nerfed Bwa Ha Ha...

Does anyone know how the first part of that soul works? "Increases speed of ki charge" does this mean when you do basic attacks?
Oh you got that Super 17 z-soul with the Ki recovery on getting hit and attack boost on max ki? The boost on you is really significant, 34%. I think that's double what the Recoome pose gets you

The "increases speed of ki charge" part of Bwahaha increases the Ki you gain from landing melee hits, at least when I tried it before they "patched" it to Godhood.
So best soul for a melee character?
It depends on a lot of things really. Starting from your race and attribute allocation.
Oh man, has anyone else used the move "Flash Bomber"? It's so fun! It traps people for a long time and it's perfect for setting up teammates to hit with their ultimates.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153203727404439&l=119632280268452258
I didn't find much use for Flash Bomber when I tried it out.... but that does look kinda fun

Maligna

Banned
I didn't find much use for Flash Bomber when I tried it out.... but that does look kinda fun

Yeah, it's a close/medium range move so it's uses are limited. But it's super fun to start it right before a downed opponent gets up cuz they just wake up into it. They get stuck for so long I've had lots of people swear at me in PVP.

Hey guys, I started a strike female Saiyan character. Any advice for attributes, skills and Z-Souls? I'm much more familiar with Ki builds, so melee is pretty alien to me.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Hey guys, I started a strike female Saiyan character. Any advice for attributes, skills and Z-Souls? I'm much more familiar with Ki builds, so melee is pretty alien to me.

There's a Z-soul that grants bonus damage when you turn Super Saiyan, you'll want SS2. Pretty much a couple ways to build it but I went for 79 in Strike Super, Basic attacks and health

patchday

So best soul for a melee character?

I wish I could tell you! On my maxed L80 Frieza melee with 100 in strikes I could not solo PQ 47 within the time constraints! Not enough DPS to finish within 15 mins. Right after I switched to my 73 female Saiyan that is rocking death ball, "I am Vegeta" z-soul, Super Vegeta 2, & steam rolled that PQ no problem

Vegito didnt spawn neither time

Too much work doing those melee combos and crap! Need advice! HELP! Even with a little Blue Hurricane spam. Wasn't enough. Granted, I didnt spam Hurricane much

Sooo I have about 20 hours in so far......did I screw up making my Saiyan have 40hp? Everything else is about ~20-30, I feel like I may have just gone straight for min-maxing like usual lol.

Also
I hate how enemies don't stagger after the Buu saga, really forces you to cheese enemies later in the story

Weiss

Banned
Okay I kind of want to get this since I've been on a Dragon Ball kick lately. Is it good for a DBZ game or is it actually a good game?

Is the gameplay all just fighting or is there an RPG/exploration element to it?

Okay I kind of want to get this since I've been on a Dragon Ball kick lately. Is it good for a DBZ game or is it actually a good game?

Is the gameplay all just fighting or is there an RPG/exploration element to it?

It's actually a good game. It's basically a very competently made brawler with an easy to learn battle system that allows for a surprising degree of complexity if you choose to master it.

The gameplay is primarily fighting. RPG elements exist in terms of building and customising your character, but exploration is limited to Phantasy Star Online style zone switching.

patchday

There's a Z-soul that grants bonus damage when you turn Super Saiyan, you'll want SS2. Pretty much a couple ways to build it but I went for 79 in Strike Super, Basic attacks and health

Interesting build! I guess by default game must give you 3 bars (300) Stamina? So you make one evade move? Wouldn't watching a vid of that build to see the playstyle if you ever get bored one day and make one

Muzicfreq

Banned
Interesting build! I guess by default game must give you 3 bars (300) Stamina? So you make one evade move? Wouldn't watching a vid of that build to see the playstyle if you ever get bored one day and make one

I usually step vanish alot for free evades while stamina regens, guard vanish for 100 stam cost when possible. I rarely use the 300stam evades.

Another skill to add for screwing around with your opponent is after image strike

Oh and with full bardock gear and similar I think I have like 500 stam

OptimusLime

HOLY CRAP! The Voice work on the english side for this DLC is pretty awful.

Because its the Funimation english crew instead of the Ocean crew :p

Seriously though, I thought it was ok. Was it better in other games, or are you saying the English VA is just bad compared to the Japanese VA? I know the J Cell VA is masterclass, but the Goku voice.....whoa.

Top Bottom