• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

NeonZ

There's a sudden increase in difficulty with the Parallel Quests from the end of the Cell Saga. I had no problems up to now, but now I'm wondering if I need to grind? I can't kill the Cell Jrs on time for PQ 20's special condition and I still haven't been able to finish 24's either.

Recall

When does online open up? I've only just started playing and pretty much have access to the offline content but still says online portions are closed. Is it a level cap I need to get passed or must I finish the story mode missions first?

There's a sudden increase in difficulty with the Parallel Quests from the end of the Cell Saga. I had no problems up to now, but now I'm wondering if I need to grind? I can't kill the Cell Jrs on time for PQ 20's special condition and I still haven't been able to finish 24's either.
You could always Dragon Ball grind in PQ2, PQ12, or PQ15 until you get strong enough. That is what I did.

I am also willing to take some people on a PQ52 run. Does anyone know if I can run a quest that others haven't unlocked yet?

KageMaru

I am also willing to take some people on a PQ52 run. Does anyone know if I can run a quest that others haven't unlocked yet?

You should be able to run quests others haven't unlocked. I'm pretty sure a buddy and I did that to level his character.

How you unlock PQ50 and above?

Nordicus

Huh, I can't seem to guard cancel Guldo's Meteor Blow but I can at least step cancel and continue my combo that way.

And yes, I'm trying to play as Guldo. I have no idea why either, but the thought amuses me
That was pretty awesome. I plan on making a saiyan for me 2nd character. It didn't look like either his stamina or killed was draining when he went SSJ. How does SSJ work?
His Ki was definitely slowly draining, but he got some of it back with each Just Guard he performed
is it after 7 days of playing or is it the same day each week that weekly rewards are given ?
Same day each week
When does online open up? I've only just started playing and pretty much have access to the offline content but still says online portions are closed. Is it a level cap I need to get passed or must I finish the story mode missions first?
Beat entire saiyan saga
How you unlock PQ50 and above?
Gather 5 time shards as drops from different PQs and beat the secret missions Trunks gives you after

Welfare

Why does PS3/4 get the GT DLC a day after 360/One/PC? That just looks wierd.

Facebook post.

Dragon Ball GT Pack 1 (DLC) for Dragon Ball Xenoverse is going to be released on March 17th for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC Steam and on March 18th for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.
This DLC Pack includes:
- 3 new playables characters (Kid Goku GT, Trunks GT and Pan)
- 1 new stage (Planet Tuffle)
- 5 new costumes, 3 new accessories, 9 new Z-souls
- 2 new Masters (Tien and Yamcha)
- 15 new special moves to be learned from Tien and Yamcha
- 4 Time Patrol Quests and 3 Parallel Quests
WOLF FANG FIST

Sephzilla

I'm honestly to the point where, besides when the DLC stuff happens, I'm going to drop the game. I love the gameplay but the RNG in this game has gotten to the point of absurdity. Considering how much content there is in this game there's no reason the RNG for drops has to be so low.

patchday

I'm still waiting for AngryJoe's review if he ever gets around to it. These days I like to be entertained by watching my reviews like AngryJoe does (since I never factor them into my purchasing decisions for titles I look forward to I've already preordered)

This review seemed to cover some of the faults. But didn't mention RNG and this guy played only on PS3.

If you going to write a review at least play the PQs at length. Attempt to unlock some stuff. See how bad RNG is!

AngryJoe takes his time with his reviews and delivers great content. So far these written reviews I've seen people post seem very incomplete and not worth reading honestly

And I am not even tripping about any scores. I want to see all the faults covered indepth

[edit]

I'm liking Worth Playing review so far. It seems quite fair and it at least mentions the frustrating random loot rates in a sentence.

I'm honestly to the point where, besides when the DLC stuff happens, I'm going to drop the game. I love the gameplay but the RNG in this game has gotten to the point of absurdity. Considering how much content there is in this game there's no reason the RNG for drops has to be so low.
It is probably not a game I will platinum because of it. I will drop it once I get all mentors done I think.

Sephzilla

It is probably not a game I will platinum because of it. I will drop it once I get all mentors done I think.

Same here.

Actually that's not even a guarantee for me. I have until next week to finish the mentors. Xenoverse is in a race against time with Bloodborne's release date.

Yeah it's terrible. Stuff like this gets patched sometimes, right?
Please be patched...

I don't think they'll be changing the RNG much if at all. It'll be the game's one big downfall aside from the crazy balance in some PQs.

Xenoverse 2 is gonna be so good.
Weekly log-in reward. Gonna be another dragon ball every week

Oh. And here I thought I was special.

Thanks for the info.

patchday

Same here.

Actually that's not even a guarantee for me. I have until next week to finish the mentors. Xenoverse is in a race against time with Bloodborne's release date.

Yep Bloodborne will be the priority when it releases. My playtime will drop off quite a bit when that hits.

Nordicus

Xenoverse 2 is gonna be so good.
Hell yeah it is, at least assuming Dimps won't pull another Burst Limit and just abandon the idea of a sequel after first game despite decent sales. Maybe they straight up have more staff now, who knows.

The RNG is slowly starting to weigh on me but I'm slowly starting to play this more and more for its PvP, a thing I never expected to say about a DBZ game.

If this game won't end up in my 2015 Top 3 then it was a good god damn year for me. I'm somewhat not upset now about not having a PS4 for Bloodborne yet.

If this game won't end up in my 2015 Top 3 then it was a good god damn year for me. I'm somewhat not upset now about not having a PS4 for Bloodborne yet.
Agreed. I didn't get the RNG issues until I starting going for outfits.
Xenoverse 2 will be something I can play for a long time.
Excited for the DLC though.

Astral

Hell yeah it is, at least assuming Dimps won't pull another Burst Limit and just abandon the idea of a sequel after first game despite decent sales. Maybe they straight up have more staff now, who knows.

The RNG is slowly starting to weigh on me but I'm slowly starting to play this more and more for its PvP, a thing I never expected to say about a DBZ game.

The PvP feels straight up broken to me. Part of it is probably because I suck, but a lot of matches feel like the guy with the most stamina wins. That's especially the case if the person has a melee build. Saiyans feel completely outclassed in PvP unless they spam too. I have 4 stamina bars on my squishy as fuck Saiyan so after at most 4 dodges I feel screwed and am comboed to oblivion. There are tons of skills that are extremely overpowered and downright unfair like Death Ball, Super Electric Strike, and this stupid purple mine bullshit. I fought a guy who picked Planet Namek just so he could have all the time in the world to power up, go Super Vegeta, and spam Super Electric Strike all day. If I didn't have Instant Transmission I would've been fucked. Even with it, the fight lasted an eternity. If I wanted to I could turn Super Vegeta right from the start of the match thanks to one of Broly's Z souls and spam Death Ball till my opponent died. Unless they have a teleport move, they're dead. PvP is an unbalanced mess and is not fun and I hate it GRRRRRR.

/rant.

Saiyans look hard to use. I'm kind of a nub, so I'm really enjoying my high stamina human Melee fighter.

1) Get three Ki bars.
2) Activate Super Saiyan
3) I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA

Nordicus

The PvP feels straight up broken to me. Part of it is probably because I suck, but a lot of matches feel like the guy with the most stamina wins. That's especially the case if the person has a melee build. Saiyans feel completely outclassed in PvP unless they spam too. I have 4 stamina bars on my squishy as fuck Saiyan so after at most 4 dodges I feel screwed and am comboed to oblivion. There are tons of skills that are extremely overpowered and downright unfair like Death Ball, Super Electric Strike, and this stupid purple mine bullshit. I fought a guy who picked Planet Namek just so he could have all the time in the world to power up, go Super Vegeta, and spam Super Electric Strike all day. If I didn't have Instant Transmission I would've been fucked. Even with it, the fight lasted an eternity. If I wanted to I could turn Super Vegeta right from the start of the match thanks to one of Broly's Z souls and spam Death Ball till my opponent died. Unless they have a teleport move, they're dead. PvP is an unbalanced mess and is not fun and I hate it GRRRRRR.

/rant.
Super Electric Strike and Death Ball are powerful, but unfair? Naah, and with counter skills they can be even easier to deal with. Arm Crashing into a person doing Super Electric Strike is funny, sends them to guard break state immediately and you're free to combo them or hit them with your ultis for a pretty long time.

Astral

Super Electric Strike and Death Ball are powerful, but unfair? Naah, and with counter skills they can be even easier to deal with. Arm Crashing into a person doing Super Electric Strike is funny, sends them to guard break state immediately and you're free to combo them or hit them with your ultis for a pretty long time.

My main problem with moves like Death Ball is that one mistake and you're dead. I was dominating some guy but I accidentally boosted into his Death Ball. I got trapped and was spammed to death. Other than that, they're easy to deal with. It's stuff like powerful as fuck Z souls and enormous stamina bars that kills the fun for me. If someone would just tell me how to fight a guy with a shitload of stamina while I have just 4 bars, I'd probably enjoy the PvP more. I punch a guy, he teleports. He punches me, I teleport. I punch him again, he teleports, and so on until I run out of stamina and eat the infinite combos (there's a lot of those in this game). I've tried quickly turning around and instant blocking after they teleport but it's awkward as hell. I simply have no idea how to deal with melee fighters with tons of stamina.

Nordicus

My main problem with moves like Death Ball is that one mistake and you're dead. I was dominating some guy but I accidentally boosted into his Death Ball. I got trapped and was spammed to death. Other than that, they're easy to deal with. It's stuff like powerful as fuck Z souls and enormous stamina bars that kills the fun for me. If someone would just tell me how to fight a guy with a shitload of stamina while I have just 4 bars, I'd probably enjoy the PvP more. I punch a guy, he teleports. He punches me, I teleport. I punch him again, he teleports, and so on until I run out of stamina and eat the infinite combos (there's a lot of those in this game). I've tried quickly turning around and instant blocking after they teleport but it's awkward as hell. I simply have no idea how to deal with melee fighters with tons of stamina.
You want to know how to stand a chance against high stamina opponent?

Look at this Goku vs Frieza video that we had earlier in this thread. Look at the moment when Goku at 00:05, and 00:12, hits Frieza with a funny kick despite Frieza having just vanished out of his combo, and Goku didn't turn after the vanish? That's a back attack. You press your character's back's direction and an attack button. It has decent reach and super armor, and cancels your forward attacks, so it'll catch people trying mash comboes on you immediately. If you can't catch them with that and then start your combo again without them waiting or hopping out of range, you're dealing with an actually decent player. Most people do not know how to do that, but it's really useful and evens the odds. Melee becomes a question of skill and mindgames with stamina as an aiding factor rather than melee being a case of who's got higher stamina. After vanishing, it might be better to step back, use a throw instead, maybe try to guard the back attack?

Let's see this scenario again
I punch a guy, he teleports. He punches me, I teleport. I punch him again, he teleports, and so on until I run out of stamina and eat the infinite combos (there's a lot of those in this game).
In my case, I punch a guy, he teleports. Before he punches me, I hit him with my back, staggering him, and allowing me to continue. This happens several more times after which I'll still have my 4 stamina bars and they won't have much any left, even if they had pumped points into the stat

Alric

I'm enjoying the game. Obviously there is plenty of room for polish and the RNG needs to be phased out but it has definitely got me back in the DBZ mood.

So I started playing Shin Budokai 2 and Tenkaichi 2 at work on my PSP during breaks because they are two of the best dbz games around and portable to boot.

Astral

You want to know how to stand a chance against high stamina opponent?

Look at this Goku vs Frieza video that we had earlier in this thread. Look at the moment when Goku at 00:05, and 00:12, hits Frieza with a funny kick despite Frieza having just vanished out of his combo, and Goku didn't turn after the vanish? That's a back attack. You press your character's back's direction and an attack button. It has decent reach and super armor, and cancels your forward attacks, so it'll catch people trying mash comboes on you immediately. If you can't catch them with that and then start your combo again without them waiting or hopping out of range, you're dealing with an actually decent player. Most people do not know how to do that, but it's really useful and evens the odds. Melee becomes a question of skill and mindgames with stamina as an aiding factor rather than melee being a case of who's got higher stamina. After vanishing, it might be better to step back, use a throw instead, maybe try to guard the back attack?

Let's see this scenario again
In my case, I punch a guy, he teleports. Before he punches me, I hit him with my back, staggering him, and allowing me to continue. This happens several more times after which I'll still have my 4 stamina bars and they won't have much any left, even if they had pumped points into the stat

I see. So my melee game just sucks then. I forgot there was even a back attack. I did it by accident sometimes but I didn't know what it was. Most of the time I would just try turning around quickly and blocking but that doesn't work for me a lot of the time. What about players who run away a lot? I thought I could easily remedy this with a Freedom Kick but I once fought a player who had that candy beam evasive skill, so all Freedom Kick did is get me killed.

E the Shaggy

So for Mentors, do you have to use the moves they teach you a set number of times to "level up" with them or just do you have to level up your character?

TimFL

So is it just me or is Afterimage Strike literally the biggest troll skill of all times?
It teleports you at random around your target so fast that your opponent has no chance of landing a hit and it costs no Ki/stamina + is spammable to hell and never back.

I spent like 2 minutes just spamming that skill vs Frieza so he loses his target on me and goes for the NPCs in the Super Vegeta quest.

Only way I could ever see someone breaking that move is by going for a Ki super that does area damage at the right time (or a long beam super/ultimate that your character can teleport into).

So for Mentors, do you have to use the moves they teach you a set number of times to "level up" with them or just do you have to level up your character?

Just take them with you to PQs. Higher ratings boost your relationship with your mentor (taking them with you is an additional boost so is using their skill or fighting their arch-enemies).

Heroman

Banned
If we are talking about PvP my biggest problem with it is that you can use items in it. Had a guy run the clock and at the last second use a healing capsule so he could win.

Respect

3) I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA BEAT YOU LIKE A RUG I'M GONNA

I hear this in my dreams. Also any PQ that pits me against teen gohan has him on my ass until he dies, every time. Teammates beat the hell out of him, but he still fixates on me.

Include me in the Bloodborne train as well...Xenoverse will have served its purpose and filled the void until that great day...also pretty hyped for Pillars of Eternity but that will come after Bloodborne.

DLC isn't looking meaty enough for me to drop more money on it honestly. Might wait and see in a few months and grab it to hop back in if it is ever on sale.

Saiyans start out squishy as fuck and if you don't upgrade your health at all then those late game Kamehameha parties with Goku and Gohan are going to be nightmares.

Actually , the one mission where you have to fight SSGohan+ SSGoku for "training" is a bitch ..that's hard as fuck , because one slip-up and it's masenko+kamehameha party in your face.

I don't have Super sayian yet..any advice where to get it ?

TimFL

Actually , the one mission where you have to fight SSGohan+ SSGoku for "training" is a bitch ..that's hard as fuck , because one slip-up and it's masenko+kamehameha party in your face.

I don't have Super sayian yet..any advice where to get it ?

Finish the Cell & Future Android Saga and buy it from the store. SSJ2 buyable after you finish the story.

Nordicus

What about players who run away a lot? I thought I could easily remedy this with a Freedom Kick but I once fought a player who had that candy beam evasive skill, so all Freedom Kick did is get me killed.
Like actually running away, or circling you while dashing bit out of reach? If it's the former then just have patience because the only sudden move they can do while dashing is a dash attack and it's sometimes pretty easy to Just Guard it and punish them. Often if they circle a little too close I'll use the Heavy+Ki input knockback attack because it tracks a little and can catch dashers sometimes.

Candy beam itself isn't a big issue because you'll rarely see Majin online, but the vulnerability to just getting slapped away is a weakness of the Freedom Kick. Even my friend does an Evil Whirlwind to return the damage two-fold if I use it too much. In terms of a chasing ability, in strike super territory there's not much you can do. Maybe equip Riot Javelin instead.

If I have single bar of Ki and they're expecting Freedom kick, I just let them run away, do whatever they want, and then Pressure Sign the first move they use on me.

Astral

Like actually running away, or circling you while dashing bit out of reach? If it's the former then just have patience because the only sudden move they can do while dashing is a dash attack and it's sometimes pretty easy to Just Guard it and punish them. Often if they circle a little too close I'll use the Heavy+Ki input knockback attack because it tracks a little and can catch dashers sometimes.

Candy beam itself isn't a big issue because you'll rarely see Majin online, but the vulnerability to just getting slapped away is a weakness of the Freedom Kick. Even my friend does an Evil Whirlwind to return the damage two-fold if I use it too much. In terms of a chasing ability, in strike super territory there's not much you can do. Maybe equip Riot Javelin instead.

If I have single bar of Ki and they're expecting Freedom kick, I just let them run away, do whatever they want, and then Pressure Sign the first move they use on me.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I'll have to try these things out when I get home.

Savitar

The game is hardly the most fancy one out there and there are definitely room for improvements but it's still stupidly fun no matter what. On Namek and just got blue hurricane, another skill and one of the poses from doing the PQ. Was kind of a blast fighting against the Ginyu Squad. The game definitely does a nice job of letting your character get stronger over time which definitely feels very Dragon Ball Zish. I hardly mind the grind or the RNG as much as some people do, but then I grew up on RPG's so things taking time is natural to me instead of NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

Yeah it can be frustrating to get that one damn drop I know. But still when you get that item you want or something amazing it feels so damn good. And that's sorta half the point.

Cody_D165

Banned
just unlocked Sauzer Blade from doing the Guldo PQ

I don't care how bad this move is I'm using it because it's fucking Sauzer Blade and its fucking badass

Top Bottom