• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Muzicfreq

Banned
As promised
16859330001_488f793568_o.jpg

More angles >>Here<<
>>Purchase Link<<

I spend like $30 for it. Not bad at all. A bit sloppy in some areas but for the price, you can't really beat it.

Wish they would add Pan's outfit+wig and Bulma's Wig that goes with the outfit. Make them a mill for each part I don't care.
Pan's outfit would need to be melee though since there's really no armor for females that are melee.

The images I took with my old Samsung SL605 camera since the GS4 kills colors by over saturating them to oblivion. Now I need to buy a new camera cable since I lost it and had to do some strange voodoo to get the images off it. (Not really.)
A good example is if you look at yesterday's Pan figure images and then the new ones.

seady

This Dragon Ball game seems to have much more praise and talk around it than the numerous DB games before it, what makes it so special?

Muzicfreq

Banned
This Dragon Ball game seems to have much more praise and talk around it than the numerous DB games before it, what makes it so special?

Custom character and custom builds to suite your playstyle. Also the combat is simple yet feels solid and good...... when you don't play in PVP against 98% of the other people with janky connections.

- There's a fairly robust custom character creation system, which got the game a lot of attention and made many childhood fantasies reality.
- The combat system is surprisingly deep. It's simple enough to pick up and play, but there's a lot of nuance for those willing to master it.
- It compares extremely favorably to many of the previous DBZ games and has won a lot of good will for being a return to form for the series.
- There's are well integrated multiplayer PVE and PVP elements, which encourage people to recommend the game to friends, causing a bit of a snowball effect.

Muzicfreq

Banned
- There's a fairly robust custom character creation system, which got the game a lot of attention and made many childhood fantasies reality.
- The combat system is surprisingly deep. It's simple enough to pick up and play, but there's a lot of nuance for those willing to master it.
- It compares extremely favorably to many of the previous DBZ games and has won a lot of good will for being a return to form for the series.
- There's are well integrated multiplayer PVE and PVP elements, which encourage people to recommend the game to friends, causing a bit of a snowball effect.

That's for sure. I'm now with the crowd of number crunchers... though I do my number crunching by trial and error the long arduous way. -_- I have recreated my characters a few times since it was faster than farming a million dragonballs.

BHK3

Banned

The custom character and thought of running around in a hub with 50 other gokus is really enticing to a lot of people. The games also really easy to pick up and play with a lot of different moves and a simple story to tie it all together. Imo this illusion falls apart very very quickly but hey whatever funds toei to give me better DBZ games on PC I'm all for it.

It's hilarious how in other games seeing xXxVegetaSSJ28xXx characters in MMOs bugged the hell of out of me, but in this game it doesn't at all. I was making a new character earlier and I actually chuckled at all the hair options for Earthling, it's basically what every braindead player in PSO designed their characters to be.

Anyway, the custom character is what sold the game for me. I don't even like DBZ much outside of nostalgia. I barely know what most of the characters are referencing after the Cell saga, but the character customization is on point. It's better than a lot of multiplayer focused games out today.

On top of that the multiplayer is more than just PVP. The PQ co-op system is a blast when it doesn't glitch out. It reminds me a lot of PSO, just without the questing/minion killing. Just boss battles.

That and I actually *like* games with RNG drops and grinds that further sets people apart. Especially when they're tied to hard/ruthless battles. The game doesn't do this perfectly, but it's enough to keep me grinding.

I really think they've a nice core to work with for these DB games. XV2 has a lot of potential if they recognize everything that made this game work and fix the flaws.

seady

Now I want to play it. Been ages since I play a DB game.

That's for sure. I'm now with the crowd of number crunchers... though I do my number crunching by trial and error the long arduous way. -_- I have recreated my characters a few times since it was faster than farming a million dragonballs.

Oh man, I was just thinking of stuff like just guards, vanishes and creatively incorporating super attacks into your combos; the number crunching didn't even cross my mind!

But yeah, game can get surprisingly deep.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Oh man, I was just thinking of stuff like just guards, vanishes and creatively incorporating super attacks into your combos; the number crunching didn't even cross my mind!

But yeah, game can get surprisingly deep.

I been working on melee combos so much with all the vanishes and getting timing down to where I forget I am doing it. just became routine

Now I want to play it. Been ages since I play a DB game.
It is the best game since Budokai 3. Main complaint is the difficulty curve is uneven and the RNG sucks. The fighting is still pretty fun.

GT DLC is worth it if you like GT, otherwise the only really interesting part is
Neo Ginyu Force

patchday

Since launch, this issue (where sometimes the Camera seems to have a mind of its own and start pitching) has plagued me. Think I finally solved it. For some odd reason, the game hates the ps4 controller that came with my unit. Maybe the right analog stick is always outputting a value that made the game think I was adjusting my camera. The kicker I've only noticed this issue with this game. [edit] Maybe the other games have a deadzone value?

Anyway went out and purchased a new controller and that seems to have fixed it.

I'm glad I thought to try out a different controller.

bobawesome

Sweet. I cleared PQ 49 for the first time and got:

Time Chasm Crystal Shard 3
Vegito's Pants
Genocide Shell
Big Bang Kamehameha

Forkball

My god this last dragon ball is impossible. I've been trying to get it for over 30 minutes. I got like three in a row within five minutes, but now I can't get the last one to drop. I'm in PQ12 where the time patroller instantly spawns, but I'm having zero luck. ANY TIPS?

I also got my guy to level 80. I'd do some online battles if ANYONE WOULD EVER OPEN A ROOM EVER

N° 2048

My god this last dragon ball is impossible. I've been trying to get it for over 30 minutes. I got like three in a row within five minutes, but now I can't get the last one to drop. I'm in PQ12 where the time patroller instantly spawns, but I'm having zero luck. ANY TIPS?

I also got my guy to level 80. I'd do some online battles if ANYONE WOULD EVER OPEN A ROOM EVER

Took me an hour or so for the last one. I used only PQ2 though.

Maligna

Banned

30 minutes? Is that all? You don't know the RNG pain yet. I'm on day 4 of only playing PQ35 and PQ47 back and forth in succession trying to get Burst Rush and Pressure Sign. I must have spent at least 8 hours on those two missions alone by now.

solid combat system with skills you find and can mix together very well
cool character customization
clothing gathering from all eras of the DBZ world. Run around in Goku's Yardrat clothing for example
Lots of mission content
Wholly unique story from Toriyama himself
Graphically pleasing for the most part.

They pretty much did everything very well with this game. It has some issues here and there, but nothing that breaks the fun ( besides frustrating RNG of course )

I'm just about done with it and ready to send back to Gamefly. But its been a blast. I'm sure ill purchase it down the line.

OptimusLime

30 minutes? Is that all? You don't know the RNG pain yet. I'm on day 4 of only playing PQ35 and PQ47 back and forth in succession trying to get Burst Rush and Pressure Sign. I must have spent at least 8 hours on those two missions alone by now.

Holy crap, I just cant do that! All I want is SSJ2 but if the drop is that bad Im giving up.

On a side note, what are the best PQs to grind for levels? I have up to PQ33 so far. I want to knock out the story mode this weekend.

Maligna

Banned
Holy crap, I just cant do that! All I want is SSJ2 but if the drop is that bad Im giving up.

On a side note, what are the best PQs to grind for levels? I have up to PQ33 so far. I want to knock out the story mode this weekend.

Pretty sure you can buy SSJ2 from the skill shop at some point.

Pretty sure you can buy SSJ2 from the skill shop at some point.

Correct. I think it's 100k, vs. Super Saiyan's 40k.

Super Vegeta and SV2 are PQ-only, though.

The easiest PQ to level up in is, by far, PQ 52 Great Ape Festival. You fight three great apes, which are pushovers.

The only drawback is that the Bardock/Broly saga needs to be unlocked and complete before you can tackle the final PQs.

So once I beat the main story mode, new character creation slots open up? Does this mean I need to replay the story mode with this new character to level him up properly? Or is it just free for me to pick previously completed missions?

Steel

Banned
So once I beat the main story mode, new character creation slots open up? Does this mean I need to replay the story mode with this new character to level him up properly? Or is it just free for me to pick previously completed missions?

You unlock a ton of character slots when you beat the story. You do not need to replay the story mode with the new character, all missions unlocked with your main are unlocked with your new character. Also all items and skills owned by your main character are available to any other character you have.

Nordicus

I put my friend through some harsh SES counter training today by playing as Android 17 (don't have the ultimate in my collection). Hope it'll pay off, he was dash-vanishing through 90% of those by the end. Android 17 kinda has an overly extravagant melee moveset, 2 of the combo strings simply do not work unless they take place right on the ground.

You're free to pick any previously unlocked mission you want on any character, whether PQ or story

OmegaDL50

Upon retrospect, this game reminds me heavily of the PSX Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Densetsu

dragon-ball-top-10-de-sus-juegos_qv4b.jpg

I mean in the sense it's the only DBZ game of recent note that had 3 on 3 combat with all fighters active at once all at the same time in the same battle in real time.

The only difference mind you was in Idainaru Densetsu you could swap between your three characters to control at any time and the AI would handle the rest. Also Idainaru Densetsu was 2D with 3D parallax-like backgrounds (Not unlike Suikoden in combat visuals)

I always wanted a modern take of that old PSX DBZ game and Xenoverse in terms of that 3-on-3 combat of all characters on screen in the same arena fighting simultaneously seems to achieve.

The only thing would make Xenoverse perfectly replicate the formula is if you could swap controls to any three characters on your team on the fly like you could in Idainaru.

Xenoverse is definitely my favorite DBZ game in a very, very long time.

The only thing would make Xenoverse perfectly replicate the formula is if you could swap controls to any three characters on your team on the fly like you could in Idainaru.

I really like this idea. It would make some of the harder missions a lot more fun (for example,
Bardock
wouldn't die all the goddamn time). It'd also introduce a nice element of strategy if you had to manage the whole team.

patchday

Anyone find it strange that
Bardock
can go SSJ in the PQs? I've never seen him do that in the show (but I didnt watch the movie dedicated to him. Plus I don't think the player can go SSJ with him when hes picked :(

We got robbed?

SCChappy

Banned
Bardock
can go SSJ in the PQs? I've never seen him do that in the show (but I didnt watch the movie dedicated to him. Plus I don't think the player can go SSJ with him when hes picked :(

We got robbed?

Watch
Episode of Bardock. He gets sent back in time and goes SSJ against one of Freeza's ancestors.

Revven

Bardock

We got robbed?

One of his alternates has SSJ.

OmegaDL50

Do you mean in the game there is a way to get a version of him that goes SSJ?

You probably meant the show I bet

No when you select a character. You'll notice that characters have different "costume slots" however some of said costumes don't look any different, however checking the skills tab shows a list of abilities they have available to them.

For example SS4 Vegeta (if you pre-ordered) looks identical in both his variations, yet has two somewhat different sets of skills.

Bardock
having the Super Saiyan skill is just another one of these variations.

patchday

Man I'm such a scrub I had no idea the characters had different costumes.

And for some crazy reason I was sure Bardock was missing his SSJ skill

Omni

Did the DLC come out? How do you access it?

Also what did Trunks do to Bardock after the Broly fight? Haha. He'd have to kill him, no?

Omni

Dammit. PQ 47. Beat Super Vegito by myself. Was ONE freaking hit away from beating SSJ3 Gotenks and then my SSJ2 ran out and I died.

I suppose it will be easier with even CPU team mates. But still

;_;

Astral

So I've been watching DBZ Kai now that I'm mostly done with the game and I noticed a lot of the characters seem to have been recast. Jeice is no longer extremely Australian, Guldo is that really young-sounding dude that voiced Jacuzzi Splot, and Android 18's voice is not as deep as it was. Why is it that some characters have been recast in Kai yet Xenoverse still retains their original voices (except for Gohan)? It's kinda weird. I'm guessing some weren't available during Kai or something. Kai Ginyu is vastly superior to Xenoverse Ginyu though.

Top Bottom