• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

J4g3r

Found Kanye walking around Toki Toki City today.

kExUsl8.jpg

ElFly

Upon retrospect, this game reminds me heavily of the PSX Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Densetsu

dragon-ball-top-10-de-sus-juegos_qv4b.jpg

I mean in the sense it's the only DBZ game of recent note that had 3 on 3 combat with all fighters active at once all at the same time in the same battle in real time.

The only difference mind you was in Idainaru Densetsu you could swap between your three characters to control at any time and the AI would handle the rest. Also Idainaru Densetsu was 2D with 3D parallax-like backgrounds (Not unlike Suikoden in combat visuals)

I always wanted a modern take of that old PSX DBZ game and Xenoverse in terms of that 3-on-3 combat of all characters on screen in the same arena fighting simultaneously seems to achieve.

The only thing would make Xenoverse perfectly replicate the formula is if you could swap controls to any three characters on your team on the fly like you could in Idainaru.

Xenoverse is definitely my favorite DBZ game in a very, very long time.

Yeah, it definitely reminds me of that game too.

It was probably my favorite DBZ game until xeno.

Muzicfreq

Banned
happy to announce that Launch's wig does change color when in super saiyan. will try with kaioken next.... so only super saiyan apparently

Forkball

happy to announce that Launch's wig does change color when in super saiyan. will try with kaioken next.
One thing I dislike is how your hair doesn't go up when you go SSJ. I picked my hairstyle specifically for the dichotomy between normal and SSJ. This should be priority one in Xenoverse 2

NeonZ

What the fuck...

Why is this a thing? Wasn't he just some random grunt Saiyan?

Toriyama is a hack

To be fair, it was just a DB Heroes (arcade card game) original transformation that had a 3 chapter manga tie in to promote it. In the end, Toriyama supervised that manga, but it's not like he was the one pushing for that idea (nor the one drawing the manga, it's by Naho Ooishi), he only agreed to collaborate with it in a secondary role. Even Naho Ooishi has referenced it as just a "what if". Although some official material has mentioned it as an official event.

OptimusLime

One thing I dislike is how your hair doesn't go up when you go SSJ. I picked my hairstyle specifically for the dichotomy between normal and SSJ. This should be priority one in Xenoverse 2

Agreed. Priority 2 is allowing the other races to transform (except human I guess).

Quick question guys: Is the battle armor Trunks and Vegeta work during the Cell saga available in this game? This one (if image works):
latest

Omni

Agreed. Priority 2 is allowing the other races to transform (except human I guess).

Quick question guys: Is the battle armor Trunks and Vegeta work during the Cell saga available in this game? This one (if image works):
latest

Yah. But Trunks is the same size as his usual self... i.e, a twig. Looks a bit off

edit. I misinterpreted that. I'm not sure xD

After sinking a good few hours in I must say that own of the things that I find annoying is that you cannot make a team of your own characters for PQs, I'd like to see this change in a future game.

Nordicus

I'm being put through Gravity Impact training, because Gravity Impact -> Perfect Shot is a super popular PvP blast combo these days. Deals more damage than an ulti for less Ki.

Biggest takeaway? Never turn your back to a Gravity Impact user

bobawesome

The first
Bardock
mission makes me want to cry. Even with a Z Soul that replenishes ki to max with the death of an enemy, he's always near death by the time it's time to fight Frieza.

I should probably just take a break and come back later.

OmegaDL50

Another good option would be to pick your hair while normal, and a secondary option for modeled hair options is available in a transformed state.

So instead of having to worry about the issue of needing to animate each hair choice for character selection, instead you have effectively two hair styles, one while normal and the other while transformed.

I wouldn't think it be too much issue to add an option and the only work required really is just to model a bunch of additional spiked up hair styles so the player is able to pick on that compliments the default style they choose.

patchday

Finally made an earthling last night. Got him up to around L42 pretty quick thanks to PQs 52/53. Then hopped into some online PQs

For now going with Strikes with him. But man melee definitely seems a lot more work then ki blasts. Even though you might be close range to your victim many strike-ultimates will miss. Like Spirit Sword. Sometimes it might even freeze the victim and still miss. Blue Hurricane misses npcs all the time too. This 'justice' something ultimate I got from Gohan mentor is hard to get a hit with as well...

Might instead go with the new Male Saiyan I made which will have high basic attack and Ki Blast.

Got all my others to 80 - female saiyan, frieza, & female majin

The first
Bardock
mission makes me want to cry. Even with a Z Soul that replenishes ki to max with the death of an enemy, he's always near death by the time it's time to fight Frieza.

I should probably just take a break and come back later.

I can't get past this yet, either. Annoying because it's actually a pretty fun and hectic fight with all the Frieza soldier scrubs zooming all over the place.

I wish the "all healing" capsules worked in the time patrol scenarios.

Mephala

So I noticed that while I get my ass handed to me I occasionally get all bloodied up and occasionally I do not. Is there any trick to this? Pretty sure I was internally bleeding from every organ fighting the mini buus.

OptimusLime

latest

Sorry to quote myself, but I found an answer and wanted to post it in case somebody sees this via seach.

I did some checking, and this armor is NOT in the game right now. Its blue with gold straps, Goku and Gohan also wore it while they were in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Disappointed its not available.

Nordicus

So I noticed that while I get my ass handed to me I occasionally get all bloodied up and occasionally I do not. Is there any trick to this? Pretty sure I was internally bleeding from every organ fighting the mini buus.
Get at least to level 40, stock up on regen capsules rather than instant heals because the total heal amount is greater and you're suffering from a bunch of little damage over time.

What I did with my saiyan just now (not Super, mind you), was doing a dash combo against the enemy, get to the phase of the combo where I teleport once and knock them away, and then I'd fire a Galick Gun after the target, which would usually hit multiple targets because the other Buus are following me after the teleport and step right into the beam.

Then whenever I had enough Ki, ulti. After killing 4-5 small Buus the mission ends. That mission is notoriously tough, so don't worry about your skills because of it

Ki-focused Super Saiyans are no joke. Holy cow.

Dropping enemies in an ult or two is an incredible feeling, especially after having slogged through battles with a melee-focused warrior.

So I've been watching DBZ Kai now that I'm mostly done with the game and I noticed a lot of the characters seem to have been recast. Jeice is no longer extremely Australian, Guldo is that really young-sounding dude that voiced Jacuzzi Splot, and Android 18's voice is not as deep as it was. Why is it that some characters have been recast in Kai yet Xenoverse still retains their original voices (except for Gohan)? It's kinda weird. I'm guessing some weren't available during Kai or something. Kai Ginyu is vastly superior to Xenoverse Ginyu though.
Kai Ginyu and Xenoverse Ginyu are both voiced by the same guy though....

cyress8

Banned
Ki-focused Super Saiyans are no joke. Holy cow.

Dropping enemies in an ult or two is an incredible feeling, especially after having slogged through battles with a melee-focused warrior.
Booo, melee is a ton more fun and technical. Got bored as hell going ki blast.

Philtastic

http://xboxclips.com/randomraaawr/a3e0de43-eb87-4ada-9a83-287ea6f04ba3

Was grinding the dragon balls earlier and had just unlocked the Super Electric Strike. Not that those were difficult guys in the first place, but holy shit it's OP in PvE haha. I see no reason why I'd go back to using Final Flash or whatever

I actually don't like Super Electric Strike in PvE since it only has super armour rather than invincibility so you can be easily knocked out of it, especially when ultimate spam occurs from super saiyans.

I can't get past this yet, either. Annoying because it's actually a pretty fun and hectic fight with all the Frieza soldier scrubs zooming all over the place.

I wish the "all healing" capsules worked in the time patrol scenarios.

I found that using the ultimate Ultra Fighting Bomber really helped since it hits everything in a decent radius so fly next to Bardock and then let it rip.

Wait, if he could go SSJ, why did he get smacked around by Freeza like it was nothing?

He couldn't. It was just a random special not written by Toriyama. Bardock is canon within the series, but his SSJ form isn't. Making Bardock SSJ was probably one of the dumbest things in recent history for the franchise. I was already annoyed with Goten and younger Trunks being able to.

Nordicus

He couldn't. It was just a random special not written by Toriyama. Bardock is canon within the series, but his SSJ form isn't. Making Bardock SSJ was probably one of the dumbest things in recent history for the franchise. I was already annoyed with Goten and younger Trunks being able to.
Naah I think giving Goku what is essentially Superman's backstory in Dragon Ball Minus was the dumbest

Sorry to quote myself, but I found an answer and wanted to post it in case somebody sees this via seach.

I did some checking, and this armor is NOT in the game right now. Its blue with gold straps, Goku and Gohan also wore it while they were in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Disappointed its not available.
Seems like a weird one to miss out, there's so many Saiyan armours in the game (admittedly mostly pallet swaps) but I'd prefer to be able to colour more clothes too so there's that.

The list for 'next game hopes' is already getting quite long but I'm still enjoying the game overall. I'm sure this series will become a franchise now after the success it has had.

JDizzv

So how would this game be for someone who enjoyed the Budokai series? In particular I really enjoyed Budokai 3 and the whole story mode.

I have a pretty big backlog and I'm kind of on the fence with this one. Is it any fun?

N° 2048

At what level can I expect to do the Bardock saga without difficulty? Currently level 51 Saiyan Ki Build.

Gotenks and Kid Trunks PQ are killing me, if that gives a sense of my skills.

At what level can I expect to do the Bardock saga without difficulty? Currently level 51 Saiyan Ki Build.

Gotenks and Kid Trunks PQ are killing me, if that gives a sense of my skills.

Bardock Saga is far easier than some of the PQs. The biggest challenge is just a matter of quickly and efficiently eliminating a bunch of mid-power enemies.

You should be able to do it without much trouble, so long as you have some decent skills; like Ultra Fighting Bomber or some other large AoE ki attack.

patchday

I agree. But it's so much weaker, especially when outnumbered.

Time permitting, I'm going to try an attack/Ki-focused character and see how that works.

Is it possible to get an infinite combo going on an npc? I don't know how to keep a chain going myself so ki blast is more relaxing and rewarding so far too

I've seen only 2 meleers in online PQs pull that off. but no one else.

Maligna

Banned
Well, I'm about to start my fifth day of farming PQs 35 and 47 until I get Burst Rush and Pressure Sign. If anyone wants to keep me company to alleviate the boredom, you're welcome to. (PS4)

PSNid: Noirsombra

SCChappy

Banned
They are? Kai Ginyu sounds like a drill sergeant and Xenoverse Ginyu sounds like....something. They sound different to me.

alot of the english voices in xenoverse just sound...off, like they weren't given any direction and just told to read the lines directly

alot of the english voices in xenoverse just sound...off, like they weren't given any direction and just told to read the lines directly
I agree. It's a real bummer; probably the worst aspect of the game. Trunks, Goten, and Future Trunks seem especially bad - though maybe for FT it's because of his prominence in the story.
Is it possible to get an infinite combo going on an npc? I don't know how to keep a chain going myself so ki blast is more relaxing and rewarding so far too

I've seen only 2 meleers in online PQs pull that off. but no one else.

No idea. I thought stamina and ki would prevent infinites to begin with, but what do I know.

Uthred

The story fight against
Beerus & Whish
is pretty rough for my pure melee female human, keep getting double timed while AI Trunks basically looks on in useless disbelief. Time to level a bit I think

Steel

Banned

The script isn't much better, it's bad even by dragonball standards. A lot of the lines are just pure golden hilarity, made better by the bad voice acting.

The story fight against
Beerus & Whish
is pretty rough for my pure melee female human, keep getting double timed while AI Trunks basically looks on in useless disbelief. Time to level a bit I think

Oh, actually, on second thought the terrible partner AI is the worst aspect of DBXV.

They're so irrelevant I forgot how useless they are.

SCChappy

Banned
The story fight against
Beerus & Whish

Trunks is so utterly useless in that fight; kept getting killed within like 3 minutes of the fight starting. I had to just spam Final Flash until one of the two was down.

Nordicus

No idea. I thought stamina and ki would prevent infinites to begin with, but what do I know.
Well yeah, anything can only be an infinite in theory because of regenerating stamina on the defensive side, but let me tell yah, the 8-9 seconds you spend in guard break state, you need some theoretical infinites to keep a combo going that long.

Right now though I'm trying to create a build that specializes on constantly draining people of their stamina without using the stamina drain grabs. Once I've done my tests I'll come back and tell you if I've created a monster

Top Bottom