• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

PQ12. A Time Patroller has a random chance of appearing as soon as you start the mission, just ahead of where you spawn. If they're there, great. If not, just restart the mission until they appear.
ok .

Also restart if you don't get a "Key Item" from the Time Patroller. It seems like it takes about 1-2 hours on average to collect all 7 dragon balls this way. Usually, the last 2 take the longest so don't be too discouraged if you find yourself restarting over and over for those last 2.

thanks.

I'm a sayian using ki blasts attacks and i've put points into strikes it's like 10 hours later i'm realising the mistake.

Sorry to interrupt, but I've gotta share the best Yamcha figure ever with you guys....

af7fb79b039696f8896143778a63203e.jpg
0c228127c9f896b3873458fdcc14a716.jpg

Deadcha costs 4,400 JPY and is up for pre-order now at Big In Japan. Immediate payment required.

cHinzo

Messing around with the .dyt textures to make the colors more like regular cel-shading. Only first Goku costume for now. What do you guys thinks?

Tried to match the coloring from this:

Looks really great. I don't like the cell shading in the DBZ games, because it kinda looks like clay, compared to the cell shading in the Naruto games, which really captures the feeling and look of the anime. Yours look good!

Philtastic

Got my Dualshock 4 working. It really was a low battery problem... even though it had enough power to constantly sync and connect during the 2 hours I was trying to figure out the problem. Borrowed a friend's micro USB cable to charge it today, and it connects fine now.

After an hour with it, my thumbs were sore! Obviously, I'm not used to controllers, and I feel like a noob in XenoVerse again. I am enjoying being able to move in more ways than 45 degree angles.

Nordicus

A Revival of F DLC got announced with Golden Frieza (yep that's what he's called) being playable.

Can't link cuz scan.
At first I thought you confused the J-Stars Victory Golden Frieza dlc, but no, Golden Frieza's actually coming in DLC Pack 3 of Xenoverse, huh.

I like how Frieza looks in his Xenoverse character model way more than when drawn by Toei, though that applies to all 2D animated scenes in Xenoverse too, would have preferred to just get more Dimps-made scenes. Battle of Gods and likely Resurrection 'F' pale in comparison to DBZ movies from 20 years ago. The franchise might not be as big of a seller as it was back then, with One Piece now around dominating the shounen genre, but c'mon.

patchday

Finished the 'story' included in the DLC last night. Wasn't impressed to be honest. I didn't even realize it was over til the robot told me he had no more content (time missions) for me to do

Still haven't seen Beerus either... Was hoping I could burn through Beerus before Bloodborne gets to my house in the mail...

[edit] Oh I did do one thing that really spiced up things. I played with the 'canon' characters quite a bit like Vegeta, Frieza, and Vegito. Was good fun! Cant believe how much work went into their animations. Will make sure to get this game on PC as well at some point to see it in true form (60 fps). They kinda dropped the ball on the PS4 port. Cant record footage in story mode. No remote play. No share play. 30 fps. Just straight up silly really

McNum

Well, I'm fashionably lat to the party, but I just bought it on Steam.

So, concerning crate a character, what's good for the story mode? I'm thinking of going female human, since I have an old favorite go-to character from City of Heroes who did energy blasts and defensive specials. She'll fit right in, I think.

Female human, ki enough for five bars, a decent amount of Stamina, 50-60-ish Basic Attack, same for Ki Super is what I'm thinking of. With some counter moves and one attack Super(Ultimate that forces the opponent to move or get really hurt. Moves that linger while I can still move wold be nice.

So, can anyone help make that a bit more concrete? I know I'm not going Strike Supers on this one, and Health is nice, but the story has healing items, so... less useful.

How many points do I get total at level 80, anyway?

Respect

So, concerning crate a character, what's good for the story mode? I'm thinking of going female human, since I have an old favorite go-to character from City of Heroes who did energy blasts and defensive specials. She'll fit right in, I think.

Female human, ki enough for five bars, a decent amount of Stamina, 50-60-ish Basic Attack, same for Ki Super is what I'm thinking of. With some counter moves and one attack Super(Ultimate that forces the opponent to move or get really hurt. Moves that linger while I can still move wold be nice.

So, can anyone help make that a bit more concrete? I know I'm not going Strike Supers on this one, and Health is nice, but the story has healing items, so... less useful.

237 are your max points, for stam and ki bars I believe it is 25 pts = 1 bar, gear can also raise and lower your max. (And yes, most gear will lower at least 1 or 2 stats). You start out with 3 ki bars and 3 stam bars and you naturally level them up to 4 without increasing their stats (I think once you hit level 40 you have 4 bars of stam and ki without putting any points into the stats themselves).

Nordicus

Female human's a very good ki blast user because of the ki regeneration, and their melee combos aren't complete trash unlike saiyan females.

If you want an ultimate that incentivises the opponent to move away from you in early game, Nappa's Giant Storm is a pretty devastating one. Easy to block but the AI's kinda dumb. As far as lingering moves go, you won't unlock any decent ultimates like that until very high level PQs, unlocked by campaign progression. You'll have to settle with Raditz' Vacation Delete which is a big paralyzing energy ball with sorta mediocre damage.

Actual countermoves such as Change The Future and God Breaker come from characters in Cell/Android Saga, you'll have to go without them for a while.

OptimusLime

Messing around with the .dyt textures to make the colors more like regular cel-shading. Only first Goku costume for now. What do you guys thinks?

This is brilliant! It's so much closer to the colored manga and the anime that one wonders why the devs didn't go with this look instead of the overly shiny/badly shaded models they used.

McNum

237 are your max points, for stam and ki bars I believe it is 25 pts = 1 bar, gear can also raise and lower your max. (And yes, most gear will lower at least 1 or 2 stats). You start out with 3 ki bars and 3 stam bars and you naturally level them up to 4 without increasing their stats (I think once you hit level 40 you have 4 bars of stam and ki without putting any points into the stats themselves).
So, depending on gear, 20-30 Ki. I think I'll put 25 in there, then. Add more if I get a Ki draining outfit. Maybe 50-ish Stamina. Will have to play that one a bit by ear.

So if it's 237, then... 25 Ki, 50 Stamina, and then share the remaining 162 between Basic Attack and Ki Super.

Probably not a PvP build, but for the story, I hope it'll do.
Female human's a very good ki blast user because of the ki regeneration, and their melee combos aren't complete trash unlike saiyan females.

If you want an ultimate that incentivises the opponent to move away from you in early game, Nappa's Giant Storm is a pretty devastating one. Easy to block but the AI's kinda dumb. As far as lingering moves go, you won't unlock any decent ultimates like that until very high level PQs, unlocked by campaign progression. You'll have to settle with Raditz' Vacation Delete which is a big paralyzing energy ball with sorta mediocre damage.

Actual countermoves such as Change The Future and God Breaker come from characters in Cell/Android Saga, you'll have to go without them for a while.
I was more thing of moves that would discourage the opponent from staying at range. Or something like Piccolo's Hellzone Grenade. If human females are good in melee, I want to get the opponent to have to face that.

Honestly, just thinking I'll pick up a garden variety Kamehameha or similar for the early story. Nothing fancy, just generically useful. A big old blast of energy.

Actually, the basic pew-pew-pew yellow ki blasts, what stat are they tied to?

Nordicus

I was more thing of moves that would discourage the opponent from staying at range. Or something like Piccolo's Hellzone Grenade. If human females are good in melee, I want to get the opponent to have to face that.
Well Giant Storm can do that too. It attacks the enemy's durrent position and doesn't care about visual blockage.
Actually, the basic pew-pew-pew yellow ki blasts, what stat are they tied to?
They will honestly never do decent damage, but the non ki-spending basic ki blasts are powered up by Attack stat. In the beginning you can get a ki blast super skill of that variety called Consecutive Blast Volley (I think) that homes really well although doesn't deal much damage. It's good fast ranged harassment though, tends to interrupt slower supers your opponents are doing.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the 'story' included in the DLC last night. Wasn't impressed to be honest. I didn't even realize it was over til the robot told me he had no more content (time missions) for me to do

Still haven't seen Beerus either... Was hoping I could burn through Beerus before Bloodborne gets to my house in the mail...

The Battle of Gods arc comes after the Buu saga and has the 2nd hardest fight in the whole came.
And I guess the GT missions aren't over since there's still 2 more DLC packs to come.

KHlover

Banned
Whoa just had a close call with the crappy servers. I finally got Super Vanishing Ball after farming the mission for hours (at least it's a short one) and right after entering the loading screen it kicked me off the server. 5 seconds earlier and I'd have lost the progress. Whew.

McNum

Ah, I think I got the basics of the game. I still need to get used to the controls, though. And my character is surprisingly powerful for a mere level 4. I take it the game is going easy on me, I mean... it's Raditz. He even got caught in that useless energy barrage that never works on the show.

Also, I found the human female's infinite already. Punch, punch, punch, launcher, wait for opponent to be about head-height, repeat. That launcher, though. It feels like I could do something about that. Can I Vanish up to them and do something mean? Is there time to do a super or ultimate on one of those?

Speaking of Vanish, just to make sure i get this. I can, when taking damage, Vanish for 2 bars. If I'm blocking it's just one. But... While mashing buttons in the Trunks opening fight to find out what did what, I managed to Vanish without being under attack or attacking, I think. What did I do?

Oh, and it said my account had been penalized, which is kind of hilarious. "Welcome to the game, you've been penalized!" Some games just are really hostile towards activating VSync... I saw on the Steam forum that it's a known issue and to be ignored, though.

Nordicus

That launcher, though. It feels like I could do something about that. Can I Vanish up to them and do something mean? Is there time to do a super or ultimate on one of those?
With a lot of melee launchers, after launching you can Vanish next to your enemy for a follow-up (for 2 stamina like usually).

Usually there's time to do a super at that point. Some are really good as combo enders. Very few ultimates can do the job because they're so slow, however, your starting ultimate, that huge volley with shotgun spread? It has a quirky, semi-secret feature of tracking the enemy almost perfectly if done right after a melee attack, even a launcher that sends them flying really far away. An instant 35+ hit combo
Speaking of Vanish, just to make sure i get this. I can, when taking damage, Vanish for 2 bars. If I'm blocking it's just one. But... While mashing buttons in the Trunks opening fight to find out what did what, I managed to Vanish without being under attack or attacking, I think. What did I do?
Without attacking or being attacked?

Chances are that you triggered dash/step/jump vanish (it has many names), which is a free vanish with invincibility frames in middle.

You perform it by tapping the dash button, then doing a jump during it. Your character will then vanish instead. I've used it to get behind approaching melee attackers with relative safety, or vanish right through some ultimates.

At first I thought you confused the J-Stars Victory Golden Frieza dlc, but no, Golden Frieza's actually coming in DLC Pack 3 of Xenoverse, huh.

I like how Frieza looks in his Xenoverse character model way more than when drawn by Toei, though that applies to all 2D animated scenes in Xenoverse too, would have preferred to just get more Dimps-made scenes. Battle of Gods and likely Resurrection 'F' pale in comparison to DBZ movies from 20 years ago. The franchise might not be as big of a seller as it was back then, with One Piece now around dominating the shounen genre, but c'mon.

I have to agree it looks so much better in the Xenoverse scan.

Though I think, that applies to SSJ4 Goku as well even though I don't really like the form that much.

McNum

With a lot of melee launchers, after launching you can Vanish next to your enemy for a follow-up (for 2 stamina like usually).

Usually there's time to do a super at that point. Some are really good as combo enders. Very few ultimates can do the job because they're so slow, however, your starting ultimate, that huge volley with shotgun spread? It has a quirky, semi-secret feature of tracking the enemy almost perfectly if done right after a melee attack, even a launcher that sends them flying really far away. An instant 35+ hit combo
Oh, the starting Ultimate can do that? I rarely use that thing. I have since I asked gotten Piccolo as a mentor. the combo is now three punches, a launcher and Evil Explosion. Kills Saibamen dead, and makes Vegeta angry. Piccolo still wants me to use it more, though. No problem there, slugman. This thing is good.

Not too impressed with the vanilla Kamehameha, though. I mean it's nice and all, but... hard to hit with. I'll see what else pops up that's useful, because I doubt the Special Beam Cannon is much better.
Without attacking or being attacked?

Chances are that you triggered dash/step/jump vanish (it has many names), which is a free vanish with invincibility frames in middle.

You perform it by tapping the dash button, then doing a jump during it. Your character will then vanish instead. I've used it to get behind approaching melee attackers with relative safety, or vanish right through some ultimates.
So, do the sidestep dash and hitting jump while doing it is a free, but nontracking Vanish? That seems useful. Maybe I should try that prologue and see if I can get Goku to do that. Prologue Freeza is kind of nonthreatening.

Philtastic

Ah, I think I got the basics of the game. I still need to get used to the controls, though. And my character is surprisingly powerful for a mere level 4. I take it the game is going easy on me, I mean... it's Raditz. He even got caught in that useless energy barrage that never works on the show.

Also, I found the human female's infinite already. Punch, punch, punch, launcher, wait for opponent to be about head-height, repeat. That launcher, though. It feels like I could do something about that. Can I Vanish up to them and do something mean? Is there time to do a super or ultimate on one of those?

Oh, and it said my account had been penalized, which is kind of hilarious. "Welcome to the game, you've been penalized!" Some games just are really hostile towards activating VSync... I saw on the Steam forum that it's a known issue and to be ignored, though.

That infinite combo is any of the female human's (1-4)xLight+2xHeavy. You can start a new combo immediately following if you just move forward a little bit so that your character faces diagonally up toward them again. The AI is really vulnerable to this, especially if you've drained all their stamina so that they can't vanish or use their escape move. You can also perform a super right after these non-launch combos. Personally, I'm enjoying tagging on Deadly Dance right after a series of 4xLight+2xHeavy combos at full ki for the 20% bonus damage. With the combos that launch toward the ground, I like to toss in a Recoome Kick (but that only works if you're already close to the ground, otherwise they travel too far and you won't reach them - also doesn't work if you launch them horizontally).

Nordicus already covered the step-vanish. It can have some really good uses if you can get consistently good at pulling it off, otherwise you just end up stepping into an attack.

Edit:
Not too impressed with the vanilla Kamehameha, though. I mean it's nice and all, but... hard to hit with. I'll see what else pops up that's useful, because I doubt the Special Beam Cannon is much better.

So, do the sidestep dash and hitting jump while doing it is a free, but nontracking Vanish? That seems useful. Maybe I should try that prologue and see if I can get Goku to do that. Prologue Freeza is kind of nonthreatening.

Vanilla Kamehameha is one of the few moves that can be reliably tagged onto a combo launch along with Galick Gun. Most other ranged supers either have too long a windup or need special timing to make it hit (eg. Big Bang. You usually will need to wait for 1-2 seconds after launching, otherwise it will make contact while the enemy is recovering or lying on the ground where they are invincible). For Kamehameha, don't charge it (ie. just tap it) if you want to use it after a launch and it will almost always hit. Save charging for when the AI looks like it's going to fly right at you, and then it does some really good damage.

Special Beam Cannon is pretty amazing damage that charges quick and is pretty accurate since it flies so fast. It's main downsides are that it will only really hit one person (not sure if it penetrates behind) and I think you either take damage from incoming attacks or they drain your stamina rather than hp (can't remember).

AZUMIKE

Agreed, for while I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this.

I have a question about training, I did it with Piccolo first, in my data it says its complete with him, however when I try to start training with anyone else it says its going to reset my training data. Wtf do I do so I can train with the rest of the crew?

Nordicus

I have a question about training, I did it with Piccolo first, in my data it says its complete with him, however when I try to start training with anyone else it says its going to reset my training data. Wtf do I do so I can train with the rest of the crew?
I think you just read the pop-up way wrong, until you get them as your mentor again. Training with someone else will cancel your relationship with the former one, yes, but it mostly means that you can't trigger their Z-assist while using their Ultimate anymore. No progress of any kind is reset

OptimusLime

Guys, I finally got the pants and completed the Vegeta Frieza Saga outfit! It looks amazing! :-D

Now Im off to grind for Tapion's sword.

McNum

That infinite combo is any of the female human's (1-4)xLight+2xHeavy. You can start a new combo immediately following if you just move forward a little bit so that your character faces diagonally up toward them again. The AI is really vulnerable to this, especially if you've drained all their stamina so that they can't vanish or use their escape move. You can also perform a super right after these non-launch combos. Personally, I'm enjoying tagging on Deadly Dance right after a series of 4xLight+2xHeavy combos at full ki for the 20% bonus damage. With the combos that launch toward the ground, I like to toss in a Recoome Kick (but that only works if you're already close to the ground, otherwise they travel too far and you won't reach them - also doesn't work if you launch them horizontally).

Nordicus already covered the step-vanish. It can have some really good uses if you can get consistently good at pulling it off, otherwise you just end up stepping into an attack.
I kind of like this approach to combos. Make them easy to pull of, but give players a universal combo breaker move move that costs resources. And of course, then you add the back-hand punch and Combo vs. Vanish turns into a simple little mindgame.

I still need to figure out how to do step-vanish on purpose. I can see it being used to dash at someone, then step through them before starting a combo. That will likely only work once, so I'll just have to make sure it only needs to.
Vanilla Kamehameha is one of the few moves that can be reliably tagged onto a combo launch along with Galick Gun. Most other ranged supers either have too long a windup or need special timing to make it hit (eg. Big Bang. You usually will need to wait for 1-2 seconds after launching, otherwise it will make contact while the enemy is recovering or lying on the ground where they are invincible). For Kamehameha, don't charge it (ie. just tap it) if you want to use it after a launch and it will almost always hit. Save charging for when the AI looks like it's going to fly right at you, and then it does some really good damage.

Special Beam Cannon is pretty amazing damage that charges quick and is pretty accurate since it flies so fast. It's main downsides are that it will only really hit one person (not sure if it penetrates behind) and I think you either take damage from incoming attacks or they drain your stamina rather than hp (can't remember).
Yeah, I noticed that it does fire pretty fast. Still playing the story and I managed to intercept Ginyu's Milky Cannon with a long range Kamehameha. Consistently. It's a bit of an excessive waste of Ki to do, but, hey. Human. That's what they do. So, until I find anything better, I think it stays. Piccolo just handed me the "I'll make you a fine demon" Z-Soul, so Evil Explosion is going to pack a wallop. And if Special Beam Cannon is similar to Kamehameha for that kind of purpose, then it may be worth looking into. I'm also looking at Destructo Disk as an option, but I'll have to see it in action first, and Krillin isn't spawning.

I'm also getting a feel for the human Ki regen. I'm not sure if I'll need more than the four bars. Might want a Ki Charge Super instead. Stamina, though, I need at least 5, probably 6. What's the point of having an Evasive Skill that's never ready to fire? Also, it's nice to Vanish on enemies.

Other playable characters are mentioned.

My guess is goku, vegeta and demigra. Now who do I petition for movie cooler,janemba, hatchiyack and pikkon DLC.
Are they? I looked at the scan again and it only mentions Golden Freeza. I hope we get the film variants of at least Goku, Vegeta and Gohan though! It'd probably be asking too much for Krillin and Tien to receive the same care too though.

Philtastic

I just tried a Majin female and it seems like their (1-4)xLight+2xHeavy combo is bugged. On the first heavy hit, she kicks the enemy upward but they don't actually travel far enough for the second heavy hit to land: they always fall too fast such that the 2nd heavy attack whiffs every time. Anyone else have this problem?

Just finished the story ... Damn that was a nice ride.. the 2nd battle in the last arc was frustrating as hell.

So son goku travelled to the prison of time to help you. I guess that instant transmission really allow you to go anywhere you want lol..

Ps: they really made goku super powerfull in this game...i love it.

McNum

So, I think I pretty much have my story character's build in mind now. Obviously, I can't really pick out skills and Z-Souls so far in advance, since I barely have any, but does this look good?

Health: 0
Ki: 0 or 25
Stamina: 50 or 75
Basic Attack: 62
Strike Super: 0
Ki Super: 100

The last 25 in Ki or Stamina will be the final points I put in. Need to feel if I run out of Ki or Stamina most for that.

For skills, I kind of want Change the Future, but I can't see Evil Explosion leave the skillset anytime soon, it's just that good in a combo. Might want a buff skill, like a Kaioken or a pose, but that's still up in the air. I have no idea for an Ultimate, though. And with just four or five bars of Ki, it's not something I can spam, anyway, so it needs to be something that will really turn a fight around for that cost.

And Z-Souls... no idea. So many of them. I suppose some Health regen would be nice, but I'm always open for suggestions for crazy off-the wall builds. I know I want a Freeza Clan built for speed in one of the other slots. Just need a horrible ice pun for a name for that...

so i've been watching dbz abridged and just finished ep 4. my god this is boring, I don't get what you guys see in this :/

Try watching Episode of Bardock Abridged or History of Trunks Abridged to get a relatively baggage-free look at how TFS' quality is right now compared to when they were starting out. If you still don't like it then it's probably just not for you.

KHlover

Banned
So, I think I pretty much have my story character's build in mind now. Obviously, I can't really pick out skills and Z-Souls so far in advance, since I barely have any, but does this look good?

Health: 0
Ki: 0 or 25
Stamina: 50 or 75
Basic Attack: 62
Strike Super: 0
Ki Super: 100

The last 25 in Ki or Stamina will be the final points I put in. Need to feel if I run out of Ki or Stamina most for that.

For skills, I kind of want Change the Future, but I can't see Evil Explosion leave the skillset anytime soon, it's just that good in a combo. Might want a buff skill, like a Kaioken or a pose, but that's still up in the air. I have no idea for an Ultimate, though. And with just four or five bars of Ki, it's not something I can spam, anyway, so it needs to be something that will really turn a fight around for that cost.

And Z-Souls... no idea. So many of them. I suppose some Health regen would be nice, but I'm always open for suggestions for crazy off-the wall builds. I know I want a Freeza Clan built for speed in one of the other slots. Just need a horrible ice pun for a name for that...
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/cold
http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/cold/

About the Ultimate...Super Vanishing Ball (PQ38) and Supernova (Training with Frieza) are pretty great, so is Perfect Kamehameha (Training with Cell)

EDIT: How the fuck do I use Big Bang Kamehameha? It just vanishes when I charge it too long, but when I release the button earlier nothing happens either. Or is that smallish area in front of me really all the area this move covers?

Top Bottom