• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Oni3298

Sorry if asked but is this game split screen PVP?

For local versus play, it is not split screen. Local PVP fights happen on one screen. The only level you can play local versus on, however, is the world tournament stage because it is the only one small enough to always have both characters clearly visible on screen with no issues.

Scirrocco

One thing I haven't heard though, is wheter or not stuff you buy (moves, outfits) carries over between characters. Im guessing no, but it would be awesome if it did.

Edit: Clarity

I may be able to answer my own question. This video showing Frieza Race creation shows the character created, then immediately going into his gear and having a bunch of stuff available. While some of the stuff was probably DLC (master Roshi gear) a lot more of it looked like stuff you bought (17's outfit, all the saiyan armors, the indian set up), so hopefully at least gear carries over.

Gurrry

Gonna be picking this game up on PC. Could this be a mistake? There are like zero DBZ games on PC and im starting to think it may be a bad port...

Anyone have any opinions?

Oni3298

I may be able to answer my own question. This video showing Frieza Race creation shows the character created, then immediately going into his gear and having a bunch of stuff available. While some of the stuff was probably DLC (master Roshi gear) a lot more of it looked like stuff you bought (17's outfit, all the saiyan armors, the indian set up), so hopefully at least gear carries over.

I think it does Scirocco. Earlier today I saw a lvl 4 Freiza race character with a bunch of late game equipment. This leads me to believe that items/equipment/skills and probably zeni are shared between characters.

Varna

Gonna be picking this game up on PC. Could this be a mistake? There are like zero DBZ games on PC and im starting to think it may be a bad port...

I'm waiting for impressions... this definitely seems like a PC game that will have... quirks...

chaosaeon

Does this game have any sort of cutscene style big moves ? It feels sort of diminished to have a characters biggest move just a 3 second big beam that doesn't change the camera angle or do anything special. I know there's a camp of people that want it all as brief as possible but that doesn't feel like DBZ to me. I like supers Budokai 3 style with the exaggerated huge explosions and scenes etc. You only see them once every few matches anyway. I'd like at least a little of the Ultimate Tenkaichi flair added to some moves (that was the only decent thing about that game at all imo).

Does this game have any sort of cutscene style big moves ? It feels sort of diminished to have a characters biggest move just a 3 second big beam that doesn't change the camera angle or do anything special. I know there's a camp of people that want it all as brief as possible but that doesn't feel like DBZ to me. I like supers Budokai 3 style with the exaggerated huge explosions and scenes etc. You only see them once every few matches anyway. I'd like at least a little of the Ultimate Tenkaichi flair added to some moves (that was the only decent thing about that game at all imo).

no it doesnt.. and i agree with you those big ultimates make the game feel more authentic to the source material.

While Dragonball GT Final Bout was an awful game, that was one of my favorite things about it. The close up of the character doing a cinematic Kamehameha, added to the dramtic flair.

Korezo

Yes, I seen ultimate move alter cameras and do some animations before attacks. Nothing like past DBZ games though.

http://youtu.be/Qfv8isx2xiY

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

It's the only version that runs at 60fps, so it has that going for it.

Does anyone know why the XOne/PS4 versions are $59.99, while the PC version is $49.99?
Console tax. Its in the law and policy fixture created by the ESRA:

Rule 10: Chapter 80; And it states, "any multimedia software being released for entertainment purposes on video game systems allowed to but not restricting Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony must be 15% higher than the cost of exact software being released on PC. This is due to higher demand on console and cannot be changed for any circumstance unless and only limited to first party software."

So yeah its BS but whatever

Console tax. Its in the law and policy fixture created by the ESRA:

Rule 10: Chapter 80; And it states, "any multimedia software being released for entertainment purposes on video game systems allowed to but not restricting Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony must be 15% higher than the cost of exact software being released on PC. This is due to higher demand on console and cannot be changed for any circumstance unless and only limited to first party software."

So yeah its BS but whatever

That is BS, but thanks though.

chaosaeon

Yes, I seen ultimate move alter cameras and do some animations before attacks. Nothing like past DBZ games though.

http://youtu.be/Qfv8isx2xiY

That was really underwhelming with the exception of the kamikaze ghost attack and the one handed kamehameha and those were just decent. Other than that, two dozen of the exact same super and we're apparently still not past having moves that are the wrong color (even when previous games already did them right). No android tag team super bums me out too.

Any Japanese reviews/impressions yet? I preordered this one, first time since Budokai Tenkaichi 3, it looks great, and I liked the demo I played. Team Four Star's Takahata101 being official voice cast doing his Nappa voice has me 100% sold already, but I am hoping for a good game around my giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg#t=1066

Link preset on the TFS voice for those that haven't seen it.

I remember these from the older games, was definitely a great aspect of it. Really made it feel like the show.

I've seen a little from the new game, but I have not noticed any destruction from them and the hit boxes seem strange, Spirit Bombs sticking to opponents right next to the player and the like.

I always loved how Budokai 3 would annihilate the stage with the really big attacks.

Yeah in this game there is nothing when you launch an attack at the ground :(

Kinda breaks the immersion as destruction is a huge part of the anime series.

I read that Dimps removed any sort of long extended in game cutscenes like when launching attacks as they reckon it would break up the gameplay.

Gbraga

Well, it sounds good, at least. 60fps, 3D support, custom resolutions (I assume that's what they mean by 4K support, if not, that would be silly) and so on.

While that doesn't guarantee a good port, it also only asks for a GTX 550 (IIRC), so it sounds good.

I preordered it on Steam, can't wait for the unlock to finally test this. Based Dimps TT_TT

I got good news for you.

Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butouden just got announced a couple of days ago for the 3DS here's some sprite work.

04.jpg

damn, that really looks nice.

on a side note, the auto-subscription really messed up my plans. codes are still out of stock for my main account so i had to buy a stupid expensive 100$ code for my US account when a week or two they were cheaper (not cheaper like 75$ cheaper but still).

oh well, already downloading on my PS4. hopefully there isnt a problem with DLC but if it has in-game store then im SOL with future stuff.

BTW, this game could do well in USA the PS4 version is out of stock on amazon and the XB1 is in the top 100. so a Xenoverse 2 is very possible (even if it isnt enough data to make that kind of prediction)

Revven

That was really underwhelming with the exception of the kamikaze ghost attack and the one handed kamehameha and those were just decent. Other than that, two dozen of the exact same super and we're apparently still not past having moves that are the wrong color (even when previous games already did them right). No android tag team super bums me out too.

This game has 2v2 and 3v3 battles, cutscenes the length of the ones featured in Budokai 3 would ruin those game modes. Not even the length, how they would even work in those modes is questionable.

Dimps, when they first revealed the game, made it known we wouldn't be getting any cutscene attacks for two reasons:

1) They wanted to make it so the player felt like they performed the attack themselves, that they're still part of the action happening on-screen.

and

2) They didn't want cutscenes to break up the gameplay.

Dimps started doing this stuff with the Shin Budokai series, carried it over to Burst Limit (barring the drama pieces which were a much bigger offender than any cutscene ultimates), and even brought it into Infinite World -- the gameplay-improved Budokai 3 -- they took away as many mini-games and longggg cutscenes as they could in Infinite World for characters that were in Budokai 3.

So, even if this game didn't have 2v2 or 3v3 battles I think Dimps would still apply the same philosophy to a 1v1-only game as that's the direction they've headed in since Shin Budokai.

patchday

Add sandboxgod on PS4 guys! For coop play! I will probably go digital preorder tonight

PC will be a purchase I make later down the road for possible mods and 60fps. But for now I am going PS4. Plus my PC has a loud fan. So I always do my gaming on ps4 for now anyways

Stuart444

Got an e-mail from Amazon UK saying they ran out of pre-order codes for Xenoverse, lovely.

Not too upset but I am a little annoyed. Still looking forward to Xenoverse though :)

Snaku

Banned
Have this preloaded on Xbone, just waiting for midnight.

Gamer tag: Tequila Bomb

Already picked out a name for my Freeza-type character: Froyo.

Korezo

PS4 but really want that pc version but I don't like paying full price for digital stuff, was hoping for this game to pop in gmg so I could of used a 25% off code.. I really want ss4 vegeta on pc too.

PS4 but really want that pc version but I don't like paying full price for digital stuff, was hoping for this game to pop in gmg so I could of used a 25% off code.. I really want ss4 vegeta on pc too.

I bought the Season pass bundle from G2PLAY the other day for $60 might be the lowest price around.

Nordicus

whats the review embargo?
I think it might be up to the instant the game releases, dunno

In spite of that, I found an English written review on 4 Geeks Like You

I never imagined that any Dragon Ball Z game coming after the mess we got with Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z could earn a spot next to the top games in the series. I mean, even when I received my copy, I still thought to myself that I might have to walk away from this during the following week.

I can say with 100% certainty that Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a must have for any Dragon Ball Z gamers out here. The game isn’t without fault, but I believe that if Dimps fixes the problems with Xenoverse & expand on making the battlefields expansive & the fights more engaging, the next possible game to come from the Xenoverse series could end up close to perfect.

SCORE: 8/10

Positives

Unique & refreshing story
Radiant graphics
Balanced difficulty on boss battles
Creative character takes lead in story & feels like he or she is apart of the universe

Negatives

Confined battlefields
Annoying glitches

Looking forward to getting this on Friday (or more likely Saturday) on the PS3. I only have Budokai 2 and 3, although I've played a bit of all of the PS2 ones, and played through Tenkaichi's story mode to the point where you have to fight Cell Jr.s as friggin' everybody, so I'm looking forward to playing through a DBZ game again.

I actually enjoyed the BoZ demo, and this looks like a better execution of the ideas that that game had. I'm also looking forward to creating my own character.

Ascenion

BTW, this game could do well in USA the PS4 version is out of stock on amazon and the XB1 is in the top 100. so a Xenoverse 2 is very possible (even if it isnt enough data to make that kind of prediction)
Just noticed that and had to quietly say holy shit to myself. Isn't too surprising though. Dragon Ball is a massively popular franchise in the US. I'd argue almost more so than any other anime. I mean in the 90s and early 2000s it was the thing to watch on Cartoon Network. Not to mention Kai definitely brought it back to the forefront. Hell I wouldn't even classify it as "anime" to most people. Everyone knows who Goku is, what a Super Saiyan is and the like.

Top Bottom