• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

What other online modes are they? If the offerings are robust I'll probably get this, but I have been burned by awful Dragon Ball games in the past.

From what I've seen from streamers there's that and the standard online lobbies for vs another player. Can be 3v3 matches. Ranked included. Then of course there's the whole interact with other players in the hub world thing.

That seems to be about it but neither seem to be small feats.

chaosaeon

"Ok, this is super saiyan God"

Ugh...
Yeah just watched that video. That was really, reeally bad. I've cringed plenty over the years of DBZ games but for some reason the tone mixed with how ridiculous "super saiyan 'god'" sounds to me in the first place just made that an instant "eeugh".

Maybe someone can mod in different dialogue audio clips from the show though, like taking voice clips from kid gohan's voice and swapping them in or something. Actually, someone please do that for the fight dialogue or attack calls.

DedValve

Banned
Wait you can TEAM UP with other folks? What!?...holy shit. Tuesday why aren't you here yet!!

Gonna take the day off and just do this. All day.

Nordicus

I don't know if anyone else has brought this up, but the Famitsu review score of Xenoverse is rather.... funny, to say the least. Not on it's own though, 30/40 would be alright on its own, but, when we look at it with the added context of the other DBZ games Famitsu has reviewed:

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (PS3/360) – 9/8/8/8 (33/40)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (PS3/360) – 9/8/8/8 (33/40)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Wii) – 9/8/8/8 (33/40)
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (PS3/360/Vita) – 8/8/8/8 (32/40)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (PS2) – 8/8/8/8 (32/40)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS2) – 8/7/8/8 (31/40)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (PS3/X360) – 8/8/8/7 – (31/40)
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi (PS3/360) – 7/8/8/8 (31/40)

Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4/PS3/XONE/360) – 7/8/8/7 (30/40)

They cited repetitive missions (really? It's a fighting game) and 3v3 lag, probably on last gen consoles, as the major minuses.

Even if valid criticisms, it still looks like DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi is as good as Budokai 3 and, Battle of Z is even better and Xenoverse is worse than all of them. Yeah, how about no.

Asd202

I don't know if anyone else has brought this up, but the Famitsu review score of Xenoverse is rather.... funny, to say the least. Not on it's own though, 30/40 would be alright on its own, but, when we look at it with the added context of the other DBZ games Famitsu has reviewed:

They cited repetitive missions (really? It's a fighting game) and 3v3 lag, probably on last gen consoles, as the major minuses.

Even if valid criticisms, it still looks like DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi is as good as Budokai 3 and, Battle of Z is even better and Xenoverse is worse than all of them. Yeah, how about no.

Dude it's Famitsu they can't be taken seriously.

Tunahead

Well sequels tend to get score penalties for being the same thing as a previously reviewed game.

Also, let me tell you this secret about video game reviews: The numbers at the end are completely arbitrary. The part of the review that the reviewer cared about was the words. This is because words can be used to fairly accurately convey what someone thought of something that's largely subjective, whereas numbers are irredeemably shit and awful for nebulous value judgements. Nobody who reviews video games for a living has ever in the entire recorded history of the universe gone "I should compare these numbers to any previous reviews at all so they're accurate in the context of other review scores". Sometimes they don't even put numbers in at all. They just send it to the editor who reads the review and cranks out some numbers based on what he thought the words translated to. I believe this is how they do it at Polygon or possibly RPS, I forget which. A graphics score of 8 on a cel-shaded style and a graphics score of 8 on a realistic graphics style aren't equivalent to each other in any way, even if the scores were given by the same reviewer on the same day. It just means nothing. And that's not even getting into 1-10, 1-100, 1-5 stars systems which not only expect you to extrapolate a game's quality from a single number, but also do so with mutually incompatible systems which may or may not grade games on a curve. The only reason people persist with this farcical system at all is because for some reason people who may or may not be tiny babies or Triple A publishing company executives will have a panic attack if they can't quantify the quality of games with numbers.

But also what this dude said:

Dude it's Famitsu they can't be taken seriously.

Nordicus

Well sequels tend to get score penalties for being the same thing as a previously reviewed game.

Also, let me tell you this secret about video game reviews: The numbers at the end are completely arbitrary. The part of the review that the reviewer cared about was the words. This is because words can be used to fairly accurately convey what someone thought of something that's largely subjective, whereas numbers are irredeemably shit and awful for nebulous value judgements. Nobody who reviews video games for a living has ever in the entire recorded history of the universe gone "I should compare these numbers to any previous reviews at all so they're accurate in the context of other review scores". Sometimes they don't even put numbers in at all. They just send it to the editor who reads the review and cranks out some numbers based on what he thought the words translated to. I believe this is how they do it at Polygon or possibly RPS, I forget which. A graphics score of 8 on a cel-shaded style and a graphics score of 8 on a realistic graphics style aren't equivalent to each other in any way, even if the scores were given by the same reviewer on the same day. It just means nothing. And that's not even getting into 1-10, 1-100, 1-5 stars systems which not only expect you to extrapolate a game's quality from a single number, but also do so with mutually incompatible systems which may or may not grade games on a curve. The only reason people persist with this farcical system at all is because for some reason people who may or may not be tiny babies or Triple A publishing company executives will have a panic attack if they can't quantify the quality of games with numbers.

But also what this dude said:
Cut the condescension and I'll give your post a 2/10.

Edit: And by the way, Famitsu score is the sum of 4 separate reviews. Whole other degree of robustness from 1 review score

Nameless

Haven't played a DBZ game since Budokai on PS2, but the robust roster, 3-on-3 battles, character creation, and alternate history storylines have me very intrigued about Xenoverse.

Wait, this has online co-op? Shit, I was already buying this, but I'm going to bump this up from "Will definitely get" to "Must have as soon as humanly possible"

Nordicus

Shit, I was already buying this, but I'm going to bump this up from "Will definitely get" to "Must have as soon as humanly possible"
My bump came from seeing that the main story mission structure is akin to monster hunting games, and you get new moves and stuff as drops (all visible from mission menu), and the whole Z-souls system that lets you customize character's passive combat traits

Revven

Any reviews besides Famitsu? Or at least detailed impressions on the full game?

Earlier in the thread a GAFfer gave some first impressions but he hasn't posted back here since then on anything further. I heard there's an embargo on reviews all the way until midnight on the 24th.

N° 2048

Question,

if I don't pre order can I still get these separately after release day?
"Day 1 Edition includes exclusive playable character of Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta and 2 exclusive Frieza Soldier's battle suits in gold and crystal color"

AZUMIKE

Growing up with both the Budokai and Tenkaichi series, its nice to see Bandai Namco put out a game like this. The CaC element is neat, and the gameplay isn't totally janky.
That said, I wish gameplay was tightened up and polished. Gameplay mechanics seem somewhat incomplete, and its noticeable (particularly with super/ultimate move hitboxes).

I'm not trying to buy a product that I deem unfinished. Just because we've been starved of DBZ games for years doesn't mean I'll purchase anything with DBZ plastered on it. The franchise has more dignity then that.

Sometimes I don't get it. Isn't it as simple as making a proper Tenkaichi 4 or Budokai 4? Burst Limit and Raging Blast were surprisingly worse then their predecessors (I don't think I'm in the minority when I say that). I'm guessing Bamco can't invest in DBZ games like they used to, especially with the current Xenoverse being a new type of DBZ game?

Sigh...lol

So, which version is best?

I kinda want to get it on X1 since I have a buddy on there that really wants me to buy it for that console instead of my PS4.

eFKac

So, which version is best?

I kinda want to get it on X1 since I have a buddy on there that really wants me to buy it for that console instead of my PS4.

Make him buy a PS4 :p

So, this looked actually really good judging by the streams, not willing to shell out 60$, but it won't be as fun later on due to the multiplayer population :-/

Make him buy a PS4 :p

So, this looked actually really good judging by the streams, not willing to shell out 60$, but it won't be as fun later on due to the multiplayer population :-/

Haha, he's pretty much an Xbox fanboy(the really bad kind) and I'm not sure if he will get a PS4 even though he says he wants one for No Man's Sky.

He always says he wants another console but never gets one unless it's another Xbox, this guy literally just loves Microsoft a little...too much. Not to make fun of him, I mean I really love my XBONE(and Windows 7) as well in fact I've probably played it more than my PS4 if it wasn't for GTAV Remaster and a couple fighting games getting me to really stack my playtimes evenly between the two.

Honestly I love both consoles, Sony's exclusives outside of Bloodborne don't really interest me much and I've gotten more "fun" I suppose out of playing Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Killer Instinct, and Halo:MCC, but I think the PS4 still offers more value and an overall better system. I don't think you'll really miss out choosing either of them, but I think the true gamers amongst us will seek out all platforms.

Scirrocco

Is there any information about how off line play on PC will work? Specifically about saves? Is it possible to transfer saves from one computer to another?

I realize this is a pretty specific question, and people right know. But i'm getting it on PC for this ability, so it occured to me to make sure it has it...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there any information about how off line play on PC will work? Specifically about saves? Is it possible to transfer saves from one computer to another?

I realize this is a pretty specific question, and people right know. But i'm getting it on PC for this ability, so it occured to me to make sure it has it...

The store page on Steam for the game lists Steam Cloud support, so if you use that you can sync to the same save file no matter what PC you use.

Anyone know how long it'll take to unlock the other CAC spots? The create a character feature is the main reason I'm getting this and I don't want to be locked out of creating more than one character for too long.

jwk94

Anyone know how long it'll take to unlock the other CAC spots? The create a character feature is the main reason I'm getting this and I don't want to be locked out of creating more than one character for too long.

I believe you unlock them once you beat the story mode with one CAC.

Scirrocco

I believe you unlock them once you beat the story mode with one CAC.

This is correct. From what i've heard story mode takes about 8-10 hours though, unfortunately.

The store page on Steam for the game lists Steam Cloud support, so if you use that you can sync to the same save file no matter what PC you use.

Good to hear. Its worth waiting for Steam then, at any rate.

Still sucks that steam releases 2 days later though.

patchday

What does he mean by 'CAC' spots? Does CAC = Create-A-Character?

I am curious how many characters I can create and will I have to go through story mode again for each one

[edit] Oh I see, so after beating story we can create more?

Scirrocco

What does he mean by 'CAC' spots? Does CAC = Create-A-Character?

I am curious how many characters I can create and will I have to go through story mode again for each one

[edit] Oh I see, so after beating story we can create more?

Yes, CAC stands for create a character. You get a spot for one to start with, but once you beat story mode, you unlock all the rest, so you won't have to go through story mode for them all unless you want. There are eight in total, one for each race/gener mix.

One thing I haven't heard though, is wheter or not stuff you buy (moves, outfits) carries over between characters. Im guessing no, but it would be awesome if it did.

Edit: Clarity

Top Bottom