• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

There are currently 2 super/special attacks, which utilises a sword. The catch is that you create the sword out of nothing and is not part of your basic moveset, unless you're playing Future Trunks. Well, at least it's a sword.
Power Pole is a DLC super attack coming.

That's honestly better than I expected. Shoulda seen the DLC thing coming but I might I cop it.

I've always loved Kaio-Ken Goku far more than regular SSJ.

What drove me crazy was the one movie where they let him use Kaio-Ken while in SSJ form. >_>
That didn't happen in any of the movies.
There are currently 2 super/special attacks, which utilises a sword. The catch is that you create the sword out of nothing and is not part of your basic moveset, unless you're playing Future Trunks. Well, at least it's a sword.
Power Pole is a DLC super attack coming.
It's a "combo set", not a super attack.

Hmm, it happened at some point. Maybe it was a special or something. I'll remember.

Edit - 199th Episode against Pikkon. Not sure why I thought it was a movie.

That's right, I was thinking of a hair color mistake in one of the next episode previews in that arc. Anyways that thing was only one punch and it was filler, so that shit ain't ever showin up in anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctgvXIdLz04
There, we finally got our first mod attempt working ingame. Hoping to have custom models imported by the time the PC version is released!
"Ok, this is super saiyan God"

Ugh...

Generally when it comes to Dragon Ball I swear by the Funimation dub, but I think I may use the Japanese dub when I play Xenoverse. Between garbage dialogue like that, having to hear the same dumb repeated phrases endlessly, and young Gohan having his new Kai voice (sacrilege, not the VA's fault but THAT IS NOT GOHAN)

I know the subtitles will show the same dialogue but at least I can pretend it's a poor translation of something wicked cool in Japanese

patchday

Whoa had no idea this game was coming out this soon. Hyped. But will wait for impressions / reviews before I commit my precious resources

I keep watching streams of this game on Live on Playstation, and I still can't quite tell if this game is good or not =/ I remember seeing a trailer for this a long time, and thinking that concept sounded really cool, but ever since then...it's kinda escaped my attention and I don't know if it's any good or not.

I keep watching streams of this game on Live on Playstation, and I still can't quite tell if this game is good or not =/ I remember seeing a trailer for this a long time, and thinking that concept sounded really cool, but ever since then...it's kinda escaped my attention and I don't know if it's any good or not.

A lot of twitch streamers just mash punch and don't evade much, I think the system has some depth to it but it doesn't show itself off very well.

patchday

Im buying this regardless... the thought of making my own character and fighting my friends and going on missions online with them in lobbies with other characters is like dream game shit I thought of before.

Yeah I really enjoyed the old DBZ game I played back a few years ago. I'm thinking of getting this one for sho'

So I loved the Budokai games but hated the Tenkaichi games. Pretty much everything after dimps moved on was a total bummer, imo. Is this a return to that classic formula now that dimps is back, or am I gonna be disappointed if I buy this?

So I loved the Budokai games but hated the Tenkaichi games. Pretty much everything after dimps moved on was a total bummer, imo. Is this a return to that classic formula now that dimps is back, or am I gonna be disappointed if I buy this?
It's a 50/50 mix of Budokai and Tenkaichi. Since you loved Budokai and hated Tenkaichi I'd recommend trying before you buy if possible.

Yaari

That combo vid got me excited, and with The Order dropping off my wishlist, I'll probably be picking this up.

Shame GT Goku is DLC, I really wanted him. I wonder what the rest of the DLC will be like. Kind of hesistant on a Season Pass before I play the game.

Teknoman

I wonder if this will be the first DBZ game with good netcode... Kinda want to jump in since I havent played a DBZ game (aside from SDBZ over and over) in awhile...but Steam or PS4?

I'm sure Steam would allow mods for original Dragon Ball series music (if its not already in) and possibly 60 fps.

PC would probably be best bet, but then PS4 a larger community (if the netcode is good anyway).

Yaari

How does the fighting work exactly, I just hope I'm not actually going to win fights by mashing square 50 times. Is there some depth to it?

Branson

"Ok, this is super saiyan God"

Ugh...

Generally when it comes to Dragon Ball I swear by the Funimation dub, but I think I may use the Japanese dub when I play Xenoverse. Between garbage dialogue like that, having to hear the same dumb repeated phrases endlessly, and young Gohan having his new Kai voice (sacrilege, not the VA's fault but THAT IS NOT GOHAN)

I know the subtitles will show the same dialogue but at least I can pretend it's a poor translation of something wicked cool in Japanese

I used to be able to agree with this, but after seeing Kai, and loving it, I can't go back to raspy, terrible voice acting for Gohan. Is Chris Ayers Frieza in this?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I used to be able to agree with this, but after seeing Kai, and loving it, I can't go back to raspy, terrible voice acting for Gohan. Is Chris Ayers Frieza in this?

I prefer the JPN voices anyway, but as far as the English is concerned, give me all of it done by Team Four Star.

Revven

How does the fighting work exactly, I just hope I'm not actually going to win fights by mashing square 50 times. Is there some depth to it?

Each character has 7 different combos and some of the combos they have can be step canceled, jump canceled, or guard canceled (like Budokai) in the middle of them. You have to figure out what the cancels are, obviously, to extend the combo into something else. But it's not a one button fighter like the Naruto Storm games. To pull off combos it's more akin to Burst Limit where you have a Light Attack button and a Heavy Attack button (or like in Budokai, a punch and a kick button). Some of them can be charged up like in the Budokais as well (like when you hold down back and Punch in the Budokais for some characters they'd charge a punch to break the opponent's guard).

It's not an immensely deep system but it's deeper than anything we've gotten probably since Burst Limit. So in other words, there is some depth to it that many people who are playing the game likely aren't aware of -- the video I posted above is using the cancels to pull off those combos with those characters (obviously I don't know which ones since I don't have the game but yeah).

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I forgot to cancel my pre order and now it's scheduled to arrive on Monday. I'm actually pretty excited. I haven't played a DBZ game since Budokai 3, so this should be interesting. :eek:

yup, only thing that would top this is if they make Xenoverse 2 with a hand drawn (like the anime) art style, IMO.

I got good news for you.

Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butouden just got announced a couple of days ago for the 3DS here's some sprite work.

04.jpg

Top Bottom