• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

MormaPope

Banned
so is this a good competitive fighter? i currently play usfiv and smash4, looking for a third fighter

Absolutely not. The fighting mechanics themselves are great, but matchmaking/latency is terrible. Xenoverse is essentially Phantasy Star Online with fighting game mechanics.

Wait a minute, I thought all PS4 games that does not use the camara or Move were required to have Remote Play? I mean, I know this game wouldn't be that great with Remote Play (since it uses R2/L2 and L3/R3 a lot) but still.

Protome

Wait a minute, I thought all PS4 games that does not use the camara or Move were required to have Remote Play? I mean, I know this game wouldn't be that great with Remote Play (since it uses R2/L2 and L3/R3 a lot) but still.
No, it's just devs need to specify to turn it off rather than turn it on so barely anyone does.

Durden77

I'm pretty damn surprised by this game so far. It's super fun, and feels most like a real fighting game of all the 3D DBZ games IMO. I'm also really surprised how well the local play works. It looks so great keeping it on one screen, but it sucks that you can only use one level.

Pretty much the only thing I'm not digging about it so far is how little destructabilty there is. I can't send people flying through rocks and buildings like I want to and could in some of the others.

Karak

Cell's voice actor is the same and Freeza's old voice was replaced with someone who doesn't sound like a granny.

This discussion seems to crowd every thread on this game. I am glad I am a fan but not THAT much of a fan. Didn't realize just how pivotal that issue was.

Quick question does this game support Shareplay?
No
Well I'm dumb lol thanks.
Not at all brother. I got stuck on it during my review and then got flooded by fans asking about it once they bought it:)

Turin

Banned
You get to go inside Frieza's space shape. I always wanted to do that! XD

This game is very fun once you get used to it. :D

Muzicfreq

Banned
Alright screw it I'm getting the game.

Quick: which race are you guys? And why not Saiyan?

Was saiyan but screw that. They have abysmal health even with 23into health stat and full ultimate turtle hermit gear. was still made into swiss cheese.

Went and deleted it to make a Majin

JNA

Banned
Probably because every is a Saiyan. Not very original haha.

That is kinda the problem though. I mean, who doesn't want to be a Saiyan right?

They probably should have added transformations for every race to make it on par with going super saiyan 1, 2, etc.

For example: Majiun has forms like Kid form, fat form, adult form, etc. Frieza's transformations, etc. That sort of thing. Saiyan seem to be the only ones that get that kind of fun.

Was saiyan but screw that. They have abysmal health even with 23into health stat and full ultimate turtle hermit gear. was still made into swiss cheese.

Went and deleted it to make a Majin

I did hear Saiyans are pretty much glass cannons but I wasn't aware their health was THAT bad. 0_0

Style

Banned
Downloading my copy now. The comparisons to the online structure of Phantasy Star Online make me very excited for it!

genbatzu

Alright screw it I'm getting the game.

Quick: which race are you guys? And why not Saiyan?

a little fat Majin kid (male)

a Saiyan was to boring. not interested in freeza race, since it does not really make sense for me. Human and Namek was tempting, might play them later on as well.

I just hope that Saiyans are not overpowered in this game

I went with Saiyan and it ain't so bad. You just have to make up for your lower health in different ways such as having a higher stamina so you can escape from combos more often or having a larger ki pool so you can keep rushdowns going. Those have been my primary stats and by staying on the offensive you're not being attacked as often.

Also, the Z Soul that revives you at death is clutch.

TimFL

So is there a good review/preview video explaining the whole game? I take it is open world and you can co-op the story?

Is it hard to unlock SSJ1/2/3? Are the transformations even worth it? I read they are timed and have cooldowns etc.
So many questions since I didn't follow news for this game too closely.

I want to start as a human, but tempted to go saiyan route for the transformations.

All races have access to Kaioken, which is essentially a transformation. The difference between Super Saiyan and Kaioken seems to be then latter is a regular super move and the former takes up an ultimate move slot. Humans have a trait that naturally regens ki, while everyone else has to do attacks or a charge move to build it up.

Is it hard to unlock SSJ1/2/3? Are the transformations even worth it? I read they are timed and have cooldowns etc.
So many questions since I didn't follow news for this game too closely.

Transformations drain your stamina meter. So the more you have the longer it lasts.

Ultimadrago

I usually don't care about Dragonball games (Haven't played and enjoyed one since Budokai days), but I've gotten caught up on the impressions of this one.

you-got-me0tkf9.gif

Pre-ordered on Steam.

Nordicus

Screenshot of the french PC options menu
-Resolution
-Frame Cap
-Fullscreen
-Vsync
-Refresh Rate
-HDR
-Shadow Quality
-Motion Blur
-Brightness
-Depth of Field
-Anti-Aliasing
Are rewards from PQ random from the item list in the quest description?
More or less

All races have access to Kaioken, which is essentially a transformation. The difference between Super Saiyan and Kaioken seems to be then latter is a regular super move and the former takes up an ultimate move slot.

Transformations drain your stamina meter. So the more you have the longer it lasts.
Super Saiyan drains Ki while Kaioken drains stamina

Super Saiyan drains Ki while Kaioken drains stamina

Ah, right. You just have unlimited ki while you are transformed.

But is there a cooldown? And are the effects cool (stronger, faster etc.)?

Or would one be better off with going a transformationless route.

The only cooldowns I've noticed is how full your meter is. Ex: if you use up your stamina bar with Kaioken if you only fill up one bar after using it and activate it again, it'll only last as long as that one bar. And yeah they give you buffs.

As to whether you should use one, that's going to be playstyle. They take up one of 4 or 2 slots so you'd have less moves overall.

Nordicus

Ah, right. You just have unlimited ki while you are transformtransformed.
While transformed to Super Saiyan at least.

Kaioken seems much inferior because of that, but this makes sense as it's a Super not an Ultimate. I might test out how it works in conjunction with Stamina-replenishing skills like Rise to Action, which sacrifices 1 Ki bar for 2 (or was it 3?) Stamina bars.

Dominator

Not at all brother. I got stuck on it during my review and then got flooded by fans asking about it once they bought it:)
Yeah, when I was doing it I thought maybe I missed some prompt or direction from Trunks. I was just flying around for a few minutes and then I tried to go through and just kept flying through it back and forth lol. Glad I wasn't the only one.

chaosaeon

Found the texture that controls the color/shading of the characters and did this as a quick test edit to Goku's chest model. I think a mod for flatter cel shading should be pretty simple to do.
yCz2C9e.jpg

Just a few more days until I can start testing on the PC version instead, which should save a lot of time.

A mod that changes models/lighting or shading to resemble the show instead of the plasticy gloss look would be amazing. I hope modding this becomes popular in the DBZ crowd.

I must say I'm enjoying the story mode. The "alt history" aspect of it while remaining really close to the source material adds just enough of a twist that you don't know quite how events are going to diverge.

JNA

Banned
Can't decide between Earthling (Human) or Sayian.

Is Super Sayian in this game good or will Kaioken suffice?

f@luS

More than a member.
i am going crazy on the mission on namek where u need to defeat 20 guys in freezer ship.

I always fail as gohan or kurilin is getting killed :(

and i made a sayan, i dont like much stats in fighting game , so every point i have i put one here one there randomly , and i switched mentor every time a new appear (third one now vegeta) i guess i shouldnt have

Durden77

I haven't played the game yet, but you are supposed to clear the first story arc in single player mode first.

Ah cool thanks. Few more questions while I'm here, anyone know if you can change your dude's hair after making him? And what's the deal with meteor crash? It says keep pressing the button to keep it going, but that never works for me.

i am going crazy on the mission on namek where u need to defeat 20 guys in freezer ship.

I always fail as gohan or kurilin is getting killed :(

Try switching your targets around occasionally to get "aggro" on guys. If they're attacking you they aren't attacking Gohan or Krillin. I'd get one on me then focus a second which left just one for the AI to worry about.

Ah cool thanks. Few more questions while I'm here, anyone know if you can change your dude's hair after making him? And what's the deal with meteor crash? It says keep pressing the button to keep it going, but that never works for me.

You have to hold down, not repeatedly press, the button with Meteor Crash.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The story is actually really entertaining. I'm midway through the Freiza stuff... some of these twists are like... good lol
You have to hold down, not repeatedly press, the button with Meteor Crash.

HUGE help for me with this tip, thanks.

The story is actually really entertaining. I'm midway through the Freiza stuff... some of these twists are like... good lol

HUGE help for me with this tip, thanks.

Yeah. Meteor Crash is great. I've been able to string together a 60ish hit combo, though I've noticed it'll auto break around 30 with just Meteor Crash so you gotta mix it up a little bit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah. Meteor Crash is great. I've been able to string together a 60ish hit combo, though I've noticed it'll auto break around 30 with just Meteor Crash so you gotta mix it up a little bit.

I'm still trying to figure out the break points in strings and combos - its kinda weird because some of the teleports require you to mash and then you have to cancel into something else. Wall bounce stuff is kinda weird too. It took me a while to figure out that you couldn't pin people against the stage boundary :/

Top Bottom