• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Skii

Agreed, that is a little bit more than obnoxious.

Exactly. I have no problems with making certain costumes that are designed by the developer themselves as pre-order bonuses but locking out entire forms is ridiculous.

If they give us new characters as paid DLC...

Exactly. I have no problems with making certain costumes that are designed by the developer themselves as pre-order bonuses but locking out entire forms is ridiculous.

If they give us new characters as paid DLC...
Goku and Vegeta's Super Saiyan 4 forms are completely different characters to Vegeta and Goku in this game. It's not a locked out 'form' it's basically a whole character.

Korezo

Damn struggling with the combat... Nappa is so easy but I still can't get the combat so he keeps killing me. Is there a way to attack then stop and teleport away or step back or something? In nappa charged form he get hit by all my hits and then do charge blast and theres nothing I can do because I was attacking. Also there has to be a better way to get to characters under you or above you while fighting then having to go around in circles or stop fighting to move up or down.

cyrok

I'm debating on purchasing this for Steam vs ps4. What kind of LOCAL multi-player components are there in this game? 1v1? or is there more than 2 player local? I saw some vids of multiple players facing off in a single battle, just didn't know if it translated to a 3-4 player co-op experience.

Revven

I'm debating on purchasing this for Steam vs ps4. What kind of LOCAL multi-player components are there in this game? 1v1? or is there more than 2 player local? I saw some vids of multiple players facing off in a single battle, just didn't know if it translated to a 3-4 player co-op experience.

Just 1v1 for local multiplayer.

ViciousDS

Banned
Damn struggling with the combat... Nappa is so easy but I still can't get the combat so he keeps killing me. Is there a way to attack then stop and teleport away or step back or something? In nappa charged form he get hit by all my hits and then do charge blast and theres nothing I can do because I was attacking. Also there has to be a better way to get to characters under you or above you while fighting then having to go around in circles or stop fighting to move up or down.

tapping X while fighting is a jump even in midair, holding it ascends while clicking the left stick click (L3) descends. also tapping X during a combo can tele you behind the enemy if done correctly.

DedValve

Banned
Using the PS Gold wireless has some extreme audio clipping for this game.
Some parts are really quite while a strike can just explode in your ears.

plugging in some headphones into the controller seem to fix this for me though.

Yeah on my surround sound the dialogue can be super quiet and everything else obnoxiously loud. Only game giving me that problem.

dwix

tapping X while fighting is a jump even in midair, holding it ascends while clicking the left stick click (L3) descends. also tapping X during a combo can tele you behind the enemy if done correctly.

I've got the mid-combo teleporting thing figured out, but what causes the more dramatic camera shifting teleport -> punch -> teleport -> kick type thing? I've tried to figure out what I'm doing to trigger it but it just seems to happen.

MrMatt555

Anyone know how to go about getting stronger skills in this game? I still have the base skils I first acquired (playing as human) and I've gotten up to Frieza saga which is absolutely impossible with my current set-up. Do you need to buy the stronger ones? I hope not, I just spent 7000 zeni on yamcha's sword. lol

DedValve

Banned
This game would be a lot better if it weren't for

Kill 20 enemies...and make sure gohan doesn't die! (gohan constantly runs off on his own)

or

Kill freeza!
Now Kill freeza...in his final form with full hp (while your left at whatever hp from the previous battle)
Now kill freeza...again!
Now kill freeza again while he's at full health and regardless of the previous battle outcome your at half health!
Now kill freeza a-fucking-gain.

Buying items helps but its still annoying that I got to fight 20 enemies or freeza 5 times with no checkpoints or breaks in between. Doesn't help that you don't regenerate health, thats soooo annoying.

Anyone know how to go about getting stronger skills in this game? I still have the base skils I first acquired (playing as human) and I've gotten up to Frieza saga which is absolutely impossible with my current set-up. Do you need to buy the stronger ones? I hope not, I just spent 7000 zeni on yamcha's sword. lol

Not sure if you've done this already, but I got loads of skills doing parellel quests

Kill 20 enemies...and make sure gohan doesn't die! (gohan constantly runs off on his own)

or

Kill freeza!
Now Kill freeza...in his final form with full hp (while your left at whatever hp from the previous battle)
Now kill freeza...again!
Now kill freeza again while he's at full health and regardless of the previous battle outcome your at half health!

Buying items helps but its still annoying that I got to fight 20 enemies or freeza 5 times with no checkpoints or breaks in between. Doesn't help that you don't regenerate health, thats soooo annoying.

20 enemies was easy, but Freeza is hard not because you fight him 5 times, but because his Ultimate takes off half health.
One time at the last round, when Goku was doing his Spirit Bomb, Freeze did two ultimates on him right away and killed him.

Some ultimates are just dumb overpowered.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
There are items that not only heal you, but also teammates.

You can beat Death Ball by blocking. There's also skills that help give you an even more effective super block.

Basically anything a person has a problem with in this game can be beat by leveling, different skill builds, team-mate setups, or letting the CPU do stuff for you. The only thing that really annoys me is that CPU'S can spam recovery tech more than their meters should allow. But I can see where limiting them to player-style limits would make some of them WAY too easy, once you reach a certain level of play skill.

I'm surprised they let you heal in "Start with low health!" Style missions, too. Its overall quite forgiving, and a game that understands all level of players would like to play it.

or

Kill freeza!
Now kill freeza...again!

Yeah, not liking the sound of that.
This has to be better than The Order 1886 though.
Right?

ViciousDS

Banned
I've got the mid-combo teleporting thing figured out, but what causes the more dramatic camera shifting teleport -> punch -> teleport -> kick type thing? I've tried to figure out what I'm doing to trigger it but it just seems to happen.

That's the l2 rush square combo. And you hit square and the direction there knocked back...not x

I still can't choose between human and saiyan. What are the differences, again?
KToClIa.jpg

You know I would like one game where Humans are not the basic class.
Cannot wait to sink my teeth into it. I am probably going to suck since I never play the Tenkaichi games.
You'd probably suck more if you had, the control differences threw me off for a bit.

It sucks but in DBO it was even worse. Krillin decided Humans could only be a support race as they can't be as strong as Namekians, Majins or Saiyans and Tien decided that all humans could do was learn powerful Ki moves like his purely because he was able to hold of Second Form Cell after he stomped everyone.

Alchemy

Yeah, not liking the sound of that.
This has to be better than The Order 1886 though.
Right?

This game is what detractors of The Order should love, lots of leveling and customization mechanics and no real scripted game play or heavy cinematics. I'm enjoying this game, but a good amount of that is nostalgia for DBZ. And from what I've played so far (just got to the Cell saga) I'd say The Order is a much better game despite not having as many hours of "gameplay" as Xenoverse. Then again I actually like story games, so take that for whats it worth.

scabro

the little things about this game just bum me out

was it that hard to change the hair model when you turn ssj?

like just fundamental things to the dbz experience here

This game is what detractors of The Order should love, lots of leveling and customization mechanics and no real scripted game play or heavy cinematics. I'm enjoying this game, but a good amount of that is nostalgia for DBZ. And from what I've played so far (just got to the Cell saga) I'd say The Order is a much better game despite not having as many hours of "gameplay" as Xenoverse. Then again I actually like story games, so take that for whats it worth.
Well I enjoyed The Order for the brief runtime, but it was short for a story based game.
I was able to try it out since a friend had the game and already finished it. He said he would have been pissed if he paid full price (Got it for $40 I think).
I bought it mostly hoping that it might be as good as Budokai was.

I will see when I get home.

Tunahead

From what I understand, this game has stat building for customs? If that's true, how important are builds? Can you respec later?

Early impressions suggest that stats are more for fine-tuning than actual significant alterations to your core racial stats. Saiyans don't stop being glass cannons even if you're super into boosting their health and so forth. Maybe this will change as people boost to crazy high levels? Only time will tell!

You can respec by gathering the dragon balls and wishing for it.

Top Bottom