• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

AGITΩ

Hmmm...
AHA8dWl.png

I might have an idea why you picked Frieza race :p

Character name also gave it away. Hoping to land some cool accessories to Kamen Ride-up my character

VegettoEX

Neo Member
So is Broly Broccoli? And Bardock is...?

Saiyan (サイヤ人 / saiya-jin) = "saiya" an anagram of 野菜 / yasai (Japanese for "vegetable")
Vegeta (ベジータ / bejiita) = play on ベジタブル / bejitaburu ("vegetable")
Kakarrot (カカロット / kakarotto) = play on キャロット / kyarotto
Raditz (ラディッツ / radittsu) = play on ラディッシュ / radisshu ("radish")
Nappa (ナッパ / nappa) = play on 菜っ葉 / nappa (napa; a type of Chinese cabbage)
Bardock (バーダック / baadakku) = exact Japanese spelling for burdock
Selypa (セリパ / seripa) = anagram of パセリ / paseri ("parsley")
Toma (トーマ / tooma) = from and play on トマト / tomato
Toteppo (トテッポ / toteppo) = anagram and play on ポテト / poteto ("potato")
Panbukin (パンブーキン / panbuukin) = play on パンプキン / panpukin ("pumpkin")
Tullece (ターレス / taaresu) = anagram and play on レタス / retasu ("lettuce")
Broli (ブロリー / burorii) = from and play on ブロッコリー / burokkori ("broccoli")
Paragas (パラガス / paragasu) = from and play on アスパラガス / asuparagasu ("asparagus")
Tarble (ターブル / taaburu) = play on ベジタブル / bejitaburu ("vegetable")

Saiyans are all vegetable puns. The Tsufruians, the inhabitants of the planet they originally shared, are a pun on "fruit" (フルーツ / furuutsu).

All of these things, including the Ginyu Special Force (whose names are all dairy puns), are all things that go in the freezer.

Thus, Freeza.

How deep do you want to go, here? ^_~

patchday

Phantasy Star Online style? Guys pls stahp. I am so close to buying this. Just a bit worried about the combat.

I personally think the combat is really well done. Besides, how many games can we think of where you can teleport, fly fast, fight underwater, etc? Very small list if any

Spinluck

I personally think the combat is really well done. Besides, how many games can we think of where you can teleport, fly fast, fight underwater, etc? Very small list if any

DBZ combat just seems like something really hard to realize in game form--kind of like Superman. So the few good games we've had in the past really went about their own ways to make it happen.

Here is looks like they've gotten really close to hitting that mark, and it does look fun so I think I'm get bite and try to get my buddies on this!

Maligna

Banned
The key to the Ginyu mission is to keep changing your target. Don't take out one guy at a time. If you attack one dude with a combo, switch targets and fire a ki blast at another, then switch again and beat on the third guy etc.

That was Gohan and Krillin don't draw as much aggro and they survive longer.

Maligna

Banned
I still need to know the answer to this question. It's very important as I'm trying to get a team together tonight at some point.

What's the best way to get into a hub world with your friends? And can you only create a team with them if they manage to get in the same hub world?

BBboy20

The key to the Ginyu mission is to keep changing your target. Don't take out one guy at a time. If you attack one dude with a combo, switch targets and fire a ki blast at another, then switch again and beat on the third guy etc.

That was Gohan and Krillin don't draw as much aggro and they survive longer.
That what I realized and still took many tries. Aggro? There a hidden game mechanic I don't know yet?

Alchemy

I really didn't find the game that difficult until the bullshit super armor Frieza mission that Kid Gohan gave me. I have zero idea how I'm supposed to complete that without out grinding the level.

Teknoman

If you want a Phantasy Star online styled brawler that has a good amount of content, yes, absolutely.

futurama-money.png

Saiyan (サイヤ人 / saiya-jin) = "saiya" an anagram of 野菜 / yasai (Japanese for "vegetable")
Vegeta (ベジータ / bejiita) = play on ベジタブル / bejitaburu ("vegetable")
Kakarrot (カカロット / kakarotto) = play on キャロット / kyarotto
Raditz (ラディッツ / radittsu) = play on ラディッシュ / radisshu ("radish")
Nappa (ナッパ / nappa) = play on 菜っ葉 / nappa (napa; a type of Chinese cabbage)
Bardock (バーダック / baadakku) = exact Japanese spelling for burdock
Selypa (セリパ / seripa) = anagram of パセリ / paseri ("parsley")
Toma (トーマ / tooma) = from and play on トマト / tomato
Toteppo (トテッポ / toteppo) = anagram and play on ポテト / poteto ("potato")
Panbukin (パンブーキン / panbuukin) = play on パンプキン / panpukin ("pumpkin")
Tullece (ターレス / taaresu) = anagram and play on レタス / retasu ("lettuce")
Broli (ブロリー / burorii) = from and play on ブロッコリー / burokkori ("broccoli")
Paragas (パラガス / paragasu) = from and play on アスパラガス / asuparagasu ("asparagus")
Tarble (ターブル / taaburu) = play on ベジタブル / bejitaburu ("vegetable")

Saiyans are all vegetable puns. The Tsufruians, the inhabitants of the planet they originally shared, are a pun on "fruit" (フルーツ / furuutsu).

All of these things, including the Ginyu Special Force (whose names are all dairy puns), are all things that go in the freezer.

Thus, Freeza.

How deep do you want to go, here? ^_~

Holy...wow all these years and I never knew half this stuff.

Augh why does the PC version have to hit Friday? I need to know which way to go.

Darknight

So the Day1 edition has the special DLC like SS Vegeta and the silver/goal armor? It wasnt preorder bonus? As long as I can get a day1 edition, I will be good?

Durden77

Jesus this spot on the Buu saga where you've got to
help SSJ3 Goku take out 3 Buu's and then you have to fight like 6 by yourself
is fucking terrible. I'm always getting hit.

Jesus this spot on the Buu saga where you've got to
help SSJ3 Goku take out 3 Buu's and then you have to fight like 6 by yourself
is fucking terrible. I'm always getting hit.

I've been cheesing all AI missions with ki blasts. I dunno if you can do this as non-human, but I just go around in circles, ki blasting, then doing my ultimate when I have enough energy.

JNA

Banned
I think the PQ "Legendary Super Saiyan" is glitched.

Many times I would kill Krillian before attacked Goku but he doesn't go Super Saiyan at all. Which makes it hard for me to get the Super Saiyan skill. :(

Nameless

Downloaded, about to load up for first time.

Any tips?

Haven't passed the character creation screen but I came across a Reddit post that sounded helpful while reading up about the game earlier:

There are a ton of posts popping up asking the same thing, so let's post answers here in one convenient location :)

READ THE DIALOGS The game tells you what to do, but only once. Read and reread the dialog boxes when they're telling you what to do or how to do something.

I made my character, what do? Talk to people in Toki Toki with a symbol above their head, then talk to Trunks to start Story mode.

Nothing is open yet! You have to progress through the Saiyan saga to unlock online mode

Story mode is too hard! Grind it up by doing Parallel Quests

I ran out of Parallel Quests/How do I unlock this move/Where is this mentor? As you progress through Story, more things are unlocked

I beat the Saiyan Saga, why am I not online? You have to exit to the title screen and log back into the server

How do I customize the moves for a non-custom character? Looks like changing the costume sorta gives you presets, but is it possible to pick them all individually?

I'm confused, is the game single player or online? In some shots it seems like an action game, in others like an MMO.
It is a fighting game with a MMO hub.
Imagine Soul Caliber 3, but with a MMO hub in between fights.
The fights get real crazy since you can have 3 vs. 3 and in missions 1 vs. 5.

My initial impressions are good. Combat is fun, leveling up is neat, and having moves based around all the characters is awesome. Compared to Soul Calibur where you copy only one character, this is great. You can have a Majin have Goku and Piccolo's move pool.
My only complaints are KI stun locks way too easy and Ultimate moves hurt, do not get hit by them.
But that could be because I am a newb.

Top Bottom