• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

I love the cutscenes in this game. I am hoping Dragon Ball DLC. Let me fight the Red Ribbon Army!
Also I noticed most blocked scenes are animations. Guess Toei did not want their anime scenes recorded.

k1t4j

Thank you :p I'm waiting the PC version sigh...

I think it will be worth the wait, it's not by any means a perfect game but I sure hope that it sells enough to warrant a second one.

Where they can improve the CaC the combat, the camera, as a long term fan of DB I love it, and enjoy quite a lot doing PQ with randoms and trying to grind supers and gear.

I hope you end up liking it as well.

I think it will be worth the wait, it's not by any means a perfect game but I sure hope that it sells enough to warrant a second one.
Indeed. The series needed this game. Even the 6/10 review admitted it was a game needed for the franchise.
I would give it 4/5 as a game and 5/5 in the fun meter.

Xenoverse 2 should expand character creation.
Definitely has more going for it than the new Kirby game.

royox

Please people...tell me you can create a Saiyan/Human like Crono
latest

Thought i'd post some impressions after a couple hours.

Having a great time with it so far! The combat I am really digging, the customization and progression looks fantastic (A lot of skills, clothes, items to collect and attributes to upgrade) and the game is really hitting on all the nostalgia points.

Really impressed with what I have seen so far, I think i'll get a good amount of play time out of this.

My only two negatives are firstly, give me the option of just a menu instead of the hub, even just for things like Online / Local battles and missions. At least just the option. Secondly and just a real minor one, I wish I could view the clothes before purchasing.

And finally a question, after I charge heavy attack and send them flying across the map how do I teleport behind them? I tried doing it the same way I do it defensivly (Just press X on PS4) but it just jumps

My only two negatives are firstly, give me the option of just a menu instead of the hub, even just for things like Online / Local battles and missions. At least just the option. Secondly and just a real minor one, I wish I could view the clothes before purchasing.
Agreed.
It would be nice to have something that instantly takes you to the area.
I am not a fan of having to walk around to find quests or shops. Sometimes I want a menu.

I get the logic since the hub is based on the MMO, but it is a fighting game.

When can you start making multiple custom characters? Past the Cell Saga and my other slots are still locked.

I've heard people say you have to beat the story mode.

I am trying to figure out stats.
I am a rough and tumble fighter so Attack I assume is important.

As best as I can tell:

Health: Life Bar
Ki: Energy Bar, used for ki-based super moves, regens while dealing or taking damage?
Stamina: stamina Bar, used for blocking, blur dodging stamina based buffs (Kaioken), regens while not attacking, charging, etc.
Basic Attack: X, Y combo attack damage
Strike Supers: Strength of Strike Supers
Ki Supers: Strength of Ki Supers

It seems pretty simple they just don't give you a lot of feedback on the changes outside of your life, ki, or stamina bars growing.

And finally a question, after I charge heavy attack and send them flying across the map how do I teleport behind them? I tried doing it the same way I do it defensivly (Just press X on PS4) but it just jumps

I've noticed I can only teleport strike them from a normal combo that sends them flying, not a heavy. I'm not sure if I don't know how or if you can't.

Sephzilla

That Legendary Super Saiyan PQ is the devil. The Frieza being alive requirement alone is dumb and on top of that Goku doesn't always go super if you hit the requirements

Respect

Was able to pick up the last "day one" edition from a local gamestop, enjoyed the little bit I played quite a bit, nostalgia hitting hard.

Sephzilla

My only complaint is that I wish you had a bit of move variety to pick from at the very start of the game. You're saddled with the four starting moves for a bit too long in my opinion.

Combat really opened up when I realised this

Are some of the accessories just decoration? Yamch's sword for example
Think so.
I actually like the clothes option actually not adding stats but rather balancing them. Now they need to do a cosmetic option and an actual clothes option like WoW does.

My only complaint is that I wish you had a bit of move variety to pick from at the very start of the game. You're saddled with the four starting moves for a bit too long in my opinion.
Agreed. I was surprised it took 5 quests before you even had a shot at Kamehameha move.
R2 + Triangle is your friend at the start. The only first move worth anything.

Overall though many negatives are just nitpicks. The game is still a blast despite the issues.
If they expand this enough, we might even get a Monster Hunter 4 scale eventually. Hopefully sales are good.

Revven

The soundtrack to this game is actually purty dope. There's some meh tracks but also some that really hit the spot.

Does anyone know what Kaioken/Super Saiyan ect. actually does? I have kaioken on my dude but I don't notice much difference whem using it.

Kaioken buffs your attack power and so does Super Saiyan. However, regular Kaioken kinda sucks, Kaioken x20 is the best one. Also, Kaioken drains your stamina bar and allows you to infinitely vanish or use any sort of stamina consuming moves as much as you want until it runs out. SSJ drains your Ki bar and allows you to use your supers and ultimates any number of times.

There's a variation of SSJ that's called "Super Vegeta" which instead buffs Ki attacks.

Apperently you can only play local vs on the tournament map? Such a weird decision :s.

It's because the other stages aren't designed for anything non-splitscreen and the local MP isn't splitscreen, it's like the Storm games where the camera follows both players. It's possible splitscreen wasn't doable or local MP was a last minute addition (would make sense seeing how the other stages are designed).

Ha ha, when everyone starts realizing freiza's deathball is the ultimate in cheap, that's all people will see..hopefully they patch a nerf to it..

i just realized not even once i used the block button lol. once i did, it was a piece of cake

on a side note, i kept playing til 2am and i feel like a zombie at work.

As best as I can tell:

Health: Life Bar
Ki: Energy Bar, used for ki-based super moves, regens while dealing or taking damage?
Stamina: stamina Bar, used for blocking, blur dodging stamina based buffs (Kaioken), regens while not attacking, charging, etc.
Basic Attack: X, Y combo attack damage
Strike Supers: Strength of Strike Supers
Ki Supers: Strength of Ki Supers
That was close to what I was thinking. Would be nice if the tutorial told you though.
Bolded what I am going to go for. Saiyan's come pretty packed with Ki/Stamina from the gate. Raditz armor then since I hate the basic Ki Super.

how varied are gear in this? curious if I can look as goofy as my party in DQ9.
Armor is sometimes locked to classes. Such a shame because I would be curious how a robed Saiyan would look.

Also yeah I had to stop myself from playing too much. Game is addictive as hell, yo.

Sephzilla

Minor nitpick but I also wish you could recolor some of the character armors. I'd rock Piccolo's cape but you cant change the color of the cape or the shirt

Lagamorph

Question.
Are special attacks/moves in this like the older games where you had to perfectly hit a ridiculous length button combo? Or is it a lot easier to pull off moves similar to Battle of Z?

Minor nitpick but I also wish you could recolor some of the character armors. I'd rock Piccolo's cape but you cant change the color of the cape or the shirt
Yeah, I am hoping we get a Xenoverse 2. I would drool for a DBZ game with Soul Calibur type customization. Heck, I would even take Stick of Truth's dye system for clothes.

Happy rocking colors based on the sun though.

Apparently Nappa is kicking my ass xD
I found the best way is do not get hit by his super and ultimate attacks. If you do that, then you should have enough HP to finish off Vegeta (don't worry, Vegeta's defense sucks compared to Nappa). I was thinking Vegeta would be harder than Nappa, but nope I got Vegeta the first time through. The ape battle was pretty tits.
I am looking forward to seeing what they do with Ginyu.

Think so.
I actually like the clothes option actually not adding stats but rather balancing them. Now they need to do a cosmetic option and an actual clothes option like WoW does.

Agreed. I was surprised it took 5 quests before you even had a shot at Kamehameha move.
R2 + Triangle is your friend at the start. The only first move worth anything.

Overall though many negatives are just nitpicks. The game is still a blast despite the issues.
If they expand this enough, we might even get a Monster Hunter 4 scale eventually. Hopefully sales are good.

Yeah I agree for the most part, I was just wondering about the sword really lol

Anyone know the name of the super that does this?

timthumb.php

jpd1408

Banned
Played this game and kicked ass until I got to dark hercule.... Of all characters why can't I beat this piece of shit lmfao. And I'm a level 26 Saiyan...

Maligna

Banned

Check out your move list. Most of the kind of teleports you are taking about happen automatically as part of a combo.

For instance my female Majin has square x5, triangle x3. That's a combo that ends with her knocking them into the air and then automatically teleporting above them and stepping on their head and sending them back to the ground, which is great when followed by an ultimate ki attack. (You have to give them a second to get off the ground though, they are invincible for a sec after being knocked down. An ultimate with a long start up may time itself correctly if you activate it right after your combo however. Just experiment to see what works together.)

Some combos are started in unique ways and I'm not sure if they are on the move list.

Like I have one that starts with a fully charged triangle (heavy) attack, followed by square x4.

Then I have another that can only be started when you are flying full (L2) speed at your opponent and you connect with square attacks. If you press triangle while flying it's just a single knock back hit.

There is some real depth with this game. Experiment with your buttons.

Top Bottom