• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

I only had a few minutes to look at it.. my statement earlier was from the opening fight
goku vs freeza

running at 1440x900 on a mid-2012 retina macbook pro (nvidia 650m) with everything set to "high" and FXAA as the AA type.

Downloading it on my pc at home (dual gtx 980s in SLI).. will give impressions later tonight.

So again first (brief) impression is that this is a solid port.. but things may go to crap in multiplayer.. so probably too early to call it.

Someone take a screenshot of the config menu for PC please (video options etc)

Well it seems like it'll be more of a Power Stone 2 style fighter, but I havent seen anyone really comment on pvp, only co-op battles.

I really hope 3 v 3 or 2 v 2 dont end up as just people all ganging up on one person.

Video Options

iZQEIxUNiYQh6.png

patchday

lag? no. They're just never up

This poster refers to the Server used for the HUB. Thankfully, you can just choose the single player hub. But yes- the servers used for the Hub are awful. But the servers used for all the meaningful content (online coop, etc) work fairly well.

scabro

all the random shit in this game is a fucking bummer

everything is by chance.

I fucking hate the random drops in the parallel quests. Trying to get the SSJ skill, it sees random whether or not Goku actually goes SSJ even if you do the (not specified, at all) requirements of getting goku to low health and killing krillin first, and if he DOES go SSJ, you then have to make sure Frieza's dumbass doesn't die, and THEN you have to PRAY the random drop you get for beating SSJ Goku is the SSJ transformation.

Fucking annoying. And so much of the game is exactly that.

I find myself thinking man, they have such a good foundation, a sequel would be incredible, but that's been the story of these games forever.

Alchemy

The more I play this the more I hate it, down to about a 5/10 right now for me. Lets see if that gets better the more I drink...

I want unlock specific transformations/skills/items, but I can't because of fucking RNG nonsense. Maybe if it was strictly a "beat this, get reward" system I'd be ok with it, but every time I got to unlock Super Saiyan fucking Goku never transforms. Its god damn annoying as shit. Add in the bullshit super armor villains for "difficulty" and this game just drives me insane.

Shit like this is why I'd take 5 hours of The Order (which took me 8.5 hours to complete) over this kind of game every single day of the week. None of the bloody online features even work to justify this experience as some pseudo MMO bullshit either.

Zafir

Are you locked to a single master or can you jump ships at any point?

Also, the PC version seems pretty damn nice so far. Frame rate is solid and it looks nice.

Are you locked to a single master or can you jump ships at any point?

Also, the PC version seems pretty damn nice so far. Frame rate is solid and it looks nice.
Sadly you are locked until you beat the story. Best to pay attention since it is like an MMO. Worst case you can delete and start over if not feeling it.
IDK why they lock character slots until you beat the game.

Teknoman

The more I play this the more I hate it, down to about a 5/10 right now for me. Lets see if that gets better the more I drink...

I want unlock specific transformations/skills/items, but I can't because of fucking RNG nonsense. Maybe if it was strictly a "beat this, get reward" system I'd be ok with it, but every time I got to unlock Super Saiyan fucking Goku never transforms. Its god damn annoying as shit. Add in the bullshit super armor villains for "difficulty" and this game just drives me insane.

Shit like this is why I'd take 5 hours of The Order (which took me 8.5 hours to complete) over this kind of game every single day of the week. None of the bloody online features even work to justify this experience as some pseudo MMO bullshit either.

To be fair, stuff like this has been standard in other PSO style games, and its been said there really isnt super armor, its just that you arent high level enough.

To be fair, stuff like this has been standard in other PSO style games, and its been said there really isnt super armor, its just that you arent high level enough.
Pretty much. If you do not like PSO, you will not like questing in this game.
I like PSO, so I do not mind.

Zafir

Sadly you are locked until you beat the story. Best to pay attention since it is like an MMO. Worst case you can delete and start over if not feeling it.
IDK why they lock character slots until you beat the game.

Eh, are you referring to characters instead of masters? I'm aware I'm stuck with a single character until I complete the game, which I'm not too fussed about. Was more referring to master's who you can learn from. Like Krillin just appeared in my town, and while I liked Krillin I wouldn't want to be locked to him, lol.

Eh, are you referring to characters instead of masters? I'm aware I'm stuck with a single character until I complete the game, which I'm not too fussed about. Was more referring to master's who you can learn from. Like Krillen just appeared in my town, and while I liked Krillen I wouldn't want to be locked to him, lol.
Oh ok, no you can change masters any time.
My bad!

patchday

all the random shit in this game is a fucking bummer

everything is by chance.

I fucking hate the random drops in the parallel quests. Trying to get the SSJ skill, it sees random whether or not Goku actually goes SSJ even if you do the (not specified, at all) requirements of getting goku to low health and killing krillin first, and if he DOES go SSJ, you then have to make sure Frieza's dumbass doesn't die, and THEN you have to PRAY the random drop you get for beating SSJ Goku is the SSJ transformation.

Fucking annoying. And so much of the game is exactly that.

I find myself thinking man, they have such a good foundation, a sequel would be incredible, but that's been the story of these games forever.

So glad I rolled Frieza I'd be crying rivers too if I couldn't unlock Saiyan. I thought I heard you had to hit L30 to unlock Saiyan mode? Anyway not my problem right now I already know I wont be transforming...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

needs repeating lol

i had no clue about this

JNA

Banned
For the people that were talking about Super Saiyan God;

I think SSG is just a power up sort to speak. Like a Kaioken. Not really a transformation like Super Saiyan 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

I'm pretty ok with that.

scabro

Eh, are you referring to characters instead of masters? I'm aware I'm stuck with a single character until I complete the game, which I'm not too fussed about. Was more referring to master's who you can learn from. Like Krillen just appeared in my town, and while I liked Krillen I wouldn't want to be locked to him, lol.

you can change around

if you pause, go to play data, and turn the page you get a view of all your progress with different masters. you have to build up the bar to get them to teach you the next thing. do good in missions, and finish opponents with whatever skill they teach to increase it faster.

Hi guys, just got the game. Im creating my saiyan and had a few questions before i confirm his appearance.

1) Can my custom saiyan turn super saiyan throughout the story? I made his hair black, but im tempted to keep it yellow if he cnt.

2) Can I change my attire color once i confirm my character?

Thanks guys.

Eh, are you referring to characters instead of masters? I'm aware I'm stuck with a single character until I complete the game, which I'm not too fussed about. Was more referring to master's who you can learn from. Like Krillin just appeared in my town, and while I liked Krillin I wouldn't want to be locked to him, lol.

You can switch masters with no issue. I just switched from Krillin to Vegeta with no issue. I think he was talking about player characters being locked.

Hi guys, just got the game. Im creating my saiyan and had a few questions before i confirm his appearance.

1) Can my custom saiyan turn super saiyan throughout the story? I made his hair black, but im tempted to keep it yellow if he cnt.

Thanks guys.

1) You can get the ability to turn super saiyan and super saiyan 2 later in the game. Note though that while your hair turns blonde, it doesn't get spiky. So if you have something like a bobcut, prepare to be kinda disappointed.

2) If the outfit has customisable colours, it can be changed at any time.

Alchemy

It absolutely is super armor, just because it is added when I'm not a high enough level (which suggests I need to grind-grind-grind which I've already been doing) doesn't mean it isn't super armor. That is simply dictating why it gets added, not that it isn't there. If I hit an enemy, it doesn't have any hit stun when it normally does, that is 100% super armor. The reason it is there doesn't stop it from being super armor.

And I don't remember any quests in PSO that required me to pray for RNG to trigger an event during the quest on top of having to hope the RNG rolls in my favor afterwards to get the drop I wanted. But maybe its been too long since I've played PSO...

So glad I rolled Frieza I'd be crying rivers too if I couldn't unlock Saiyan. I thought I heard you had to hit L30 to unlock Saiyan mode? Anyway not my problem right now I already know I wont be transforming...

You need to do a specific Parallel Quest, defeat Krillin before Goku, hope the RNG rolls that Goku transform into a SSJ, then beat him and hope again the RNG rolls you earn the reward. Its a dumb as hell reward system. I'd be sorta ok if there was only one layer of RNG involved, but stacking it is super frustrating.

DY_nasty

^dude. tons of games have barriers like that in place to let players know that they're not supposed to be fighting that kind of enemy yet. shooting enemies with skulls over their heads in borderlands or destiny = fighting super-armor perfect cell.

and yeah, that was in PS games too
you can change around

if you pause, go to play data, and turn the page you get a view of all your progress with different masters. you have to build up the bar to get them to teach you the next thing. do good in missions, and finish opponents with whatever skill they teach to increase it faster.

also didn't know this lol

scabro

Thanks guys.

1. yeah, actually the only visual thing ssj does to your character is actually turn their hair yellow. it doesn't change the model.

2. yes.

Trickster

So I'm playing the pc version, and I'm running around in the city but am not seeing a single other player? The streams i watched had players all over the city

lol punching the air gives you ki.

The stages are far too small and it could have been telegraphed better than you can't start any quests until you run around the city talking to people (which is tedious, let me fly in the next game Dimps).

Super Front Jump is useless as hell.

Game is super fun tho

This is exactly whats making me just wait until i have literally nothing else to play, Dimps has a habit of doig exactly what I hate with this license. all the random tedium is for the sake of stretching gameplay in ways no one asked for.

Korezo

You can buy Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2... I been grinding for Kaioken X20 since I'm a human, now that isn't in my skill shop...

Alchemy

^dude. tons of games have barriers like that in place to let players know that they're not supposed to be fighting that kind of enemy yet. shooting enemies with skulls over their heads in borderlands or destiny = fighting super-armor perfect cell.

Well its a good thing I was out exploring a pseudo open world like Borderlands/Destiny when I stumbled across Skull Level Perfect Cell... oh wait it was just during the regular linear progression of the games story. Regardless grinding for progression in linear games is shit no matter where it happens. The story mode in this game is a straight A to B affair, so it sucks having arbitrary "please grind now" barriers dropped in front of you.

Teknoman

So I'm playing the pc version, and I'm running around in the city but am not seeing a single other player? The streams i watched had players all over the city

Have you beaten the Saiyan saga yet?

I think on consoles, its been said that the actual lobby servers mess up, but actually connecting to an online quest or online vs hasnt been problematic.

Style

Banned
Now that the PC version is out, do anyone have impressions on mouse controls? I don't have a controller available for my computer yet, and would really like to try it out on PC.

DY_nasty

Well its a good thing I was out exploring a pseudo open world like Borderlands/Destiny when I stumbled across Skull Level Perfect Cell... oh wait it was just during the regular linear progression of the games story. Regardless grinding for progression in linear games is shit no matter where it happens. The story mode in this game is a straight A to B affair, so it sucks having arbitrary "please grind now" barriers dropped in front of you.

But that happens a lot across all genres. In a game with a leveling system, it just doesn't make sense that you should be able to beat the game at level 7. In Destiny or Borderlands, they wouldn't even let you attempt a boss/strike mission if you weren't a certain level. If you can take on a super-armored opponent and win, more power to you. Plenty of people are doing it.

Only gripe I have is that it isn't clearly explained. The scouter stuff is kinda meh when describing the effect of levels.

Top Bottom