• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Kind of torn between the console or PC version. I can technically get the console version cheaper, but I can stream the game and play it on my couch if I get the PC one.

Corgi

Banned
bought on pc. Don't think i've paid full price for a dbz game since... legacy of goku 3... or was that super sonic warriors?

Honestly, the more I play the game the more I feel disappointed.

-Grinding for armor sets/moves etc. is actually discouraging me from playing after story mode is done.
Agreed, this is mostly due to MMO logic
-Armor sets actually affecting your stats
Kind of agree. I think they needed a cosmetic tab and an actual armor tab
-Hub world is ugly and annoying to navigate (would have preferred an option for menus)
-Having to use the hub world to play local multi
-No customization at all for local matches, only the tournament stage.
Agree, the hub definitely could be more lively in the next game.
-Charging, transformations etc being moves and not standard on all characters..(it makes sense for balance, though)
MMO logic again
-Armored enemies (maybe I just need to train some more)
Cannot say one way or another
-Skipping whole sagas (still love story for the most part, but there are some big jumps..)
Agree
This is a pretty good start overall though.
Since the combat is fun, I can overlook the MMO logic problems.
The sequel should mix up the quests, add more alternate timeline events, add a tab for armor that just changes how you look so you can equip different armor, flesh out the MMO leveling, and make menus an option if you want to bypass the hub.
It is so close to the best thing ever, but it is still really fun.

Overall though between Xenoverse and Destiny, Xenoverse has more room to grow IMO.

Muzicfreq

Banned
This is a pretty good start overall though.
Since the combat is fun, I can overlook the MMO logic problems.
The sequel should mix up the quests, add more alternate timeline events, add a tab for armor that just changes how you look so you can equip different armor, flesh out the MMO leveling, and make menus an option if you want to bypass the hub.
It is so close to the best thing ever, but it is still really fun.

Overall though between Xenoverse and Destiny, Xenoverse has more room to grow IMO.

Don't forget that PVP is kinda a big part of this game.... more as an end game thing. I have yet to see how the tournament works.

60 fps and higher resolutions possible, also the chances of mods for the game (whether its just music or shader improvements).

I'll be looking for some 60fps streams later today since I am curious how it would look since it already looks really smooth at 30. Higher res yes. Modding I am curious how that will work with online. Also the hope that modding doesnt go to the point of making a god like character since your character is stored locally.

Teknoman

Does the world tournament have an announcer btw?

This guy running back and forth in Super Dragon Ball Z was cool.

Don't forget that PVP is kinda a big part of this game.... more as an end game thing. I have yet to see how the tournament works.
This is true as well. It will be interesting to see how people will go all out once they unlock every skill.
Overall though fighting in this game > shooting in Destiny.

Teknoman

Yeah personally I just want music mods so I can have music from the Dragon Ball, Z, and GT soundtracks (original, not the funimation / bruce stuff). But the game does look pretty damn smooth on PS4 at 30, so 60fps should be really nice, especially if its got good performance.

Does every race in this game get the same clothing options? I haven't seen any screenshots of Frieza Race characters wearing Goku's gi or anything.

Does every race in this game get the same clothing options? I haven't seen any screenshots of Frieza Race characters wearing Goku's gi or anything.
The default clothes are the same.
You can get clothes for each race. Frieza Race is the most limited options, but I think you can get a shirt/pants with them.
Some limits apply like Nail's robe cannot be worn by a Saiyan and such. You can see the heads of who can wear it when you buy it.
The quest/item system is MMO logic if that helps.

Muzicfreq

Banned
The default clothes are the same.
You can get clothes for each race. Frieza Race is the most limited options, but I think you can get a shirt/pants with them.
Some limits apply like Nail's robe cannot be worn by a Saiyan and such. You can see the heads of who can wear it when you buy it.
The quest/item system is MMO logic if that helps.

the heads make me wonder if there's some gender specific outfits as well since they show 2 heads for each gender

the heads make me wonder if there's some gender specific outfits as well since they show 2 heads for each gender
I assume something like Pan's armor would probably be female only.
DBZ is pretty good about showing gender neutral and specific clothing in the show. Like Saiyan armor is gender neutral, but 90% of what Bulma wears is for a woman.

Matchew

Does this have any social aspects to it besides head to head? Like can we look at friends avatars and stuff? If so add me please on steam just bought the game and pre-loading now: bevo0845

Damn servers. After being able to join the multi lobby for about 5 minutes, the second I tried to create a team, it kicked me out of the servers. Now I can't join it anymore. Keeps saying that the Dragon Ball Xenoverse service is not available, yet I have a friend connected right now to it.

ryushe

Seriously considering buying the Season Pass for this game..

Edit:

Grinding for armor sets/moves etc. is actually discouraging me from playing after story mode is done.
-Armor sets actually affecting your stats
-Hub world is ugly and annoying to navigate (would have preferred an option for menus)
-Having to use the hub world to play local multi
-No customization at all for local matches, only the tournament stage.
-Charging, transformations etc being moves and not standard on all characters..(it makes sense for balance, though)
-Armored enemies (maybe I just need to train some more)
-Skipping whole sagas (still love story for the most part, but there are some big jumps..)
other than the no customization in local matches, I pretty much like to love everything you've listed. :lol

DeaviL

Banned
Bought mine from DLgamer, seems good.
Or at least i think it is, i'll let the censor decide.

EDIT: Censor says A-OK, it's still -10% there.

JNA

Banned
The Beerus and Whis story mission is just impossible. I'm level 45 Saiyan and I still get my ass handed to me.

It doesn't help that Trunks is downright useless too. Even though in 5/6 star PQs, he's a handful to handle.

Korezo

The Beerus and Whis story mission is just impossible. I'm level 45 Saiyan and I still get my ass handed to me.

It doesn't help that Trunks is downright useless too. Even though in 5/6 star PQs, he's a handful to handle.

I stopped there, they just eat through all my punches. If you use the scouter on them it says they're lvl 66. I was lvl 43 when I gave up.

Revven

Just wanna ask again if anyone knows what Kaioken/Super Saiyan actually do and if they're worth using.

I quoted you earlier in the day with this:

Kaioken buffs your attack power and so does Super Saiyan. However, regular Kaioken kinda sucks, Kaioken x20 is the best one. Also, Kaioken drains your stamina bar and x20 allows you to infinitely vanish or use any sort of stamina consuming moves as much as you want until it runs out. SSJ drains your Ki bar and allows you to use your supers and ultimates any number of times.

There's a variation of SSJ that's called "Super Vegeta" which instead buffs Ki attacks.

I've been cheesing story mode. Seriously the hardest fight in story.

All I do is hope Trunks aggros them, power up, Final Flash, repeat. kill Beerus asap cuz his ulti is troublesome, but even though his Ulti goes off, it has a range and slow turn.

These AI can't touch me as I just fly back sideways and through ki blast until I'm charged up.

0e3.png

In all honesty, if they treat GT better than DB I will cry.

They will,
young grandpa goku, pan, a trunks SKIN (not actual GT trunks, just his look, he uses a sword) 2 of the shenron dragons (ice and heat) and shenron and android 18 if they aren't already playable.

Top Bottom