• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Corgi

Banned
really wish the game has numbers. It's really weird that out of the billions of dbz games... the only one thats like a mmo.. has barely any. There isn't even a total damage counter.

And from what I'm reading around here... there is zero reason to grind for ssj and what not because most are unlocked for the store after reaching certain story missions?

Gelid is the best Friezan name.
really wish the game has numbers. It's really weird that out of the billions of dbz games... the only one thats like a mmo.. has barely any. There isn't even a total damage counter.

And from what I'm reading around here... there is zero reason to grind for ssj and what not because most are unlocked for the store after reaching certain story missions?
Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are unlocked in the store later in the story. Super Vegeta and all forms of Kaioken are not.

Nordicus

Huh, well that achievement came quicker than expected.
rx0RzuU.png

My 68 level majin against 60-something Namekian and Frieza clan players. Surprisingly I got this streak from 2 rushdown players, which my skill setup was absolutely not geared towards. The namekian's build was a little iffy but the frieza clan player had his figured out, I think.

He would first do the ginyu pose that made enemy attacks deal damage to his stamina and not stagger him, and when his stamina was running low he'd grab me with Super Drain and get it all back.

Still, he could never deal enough damage on me in one combo after my first and only loss, because my character gains so much Ki and stamina (to be used immediately on evasion) from even the slightest damage that you could call him borderline masochistic. It was impossible for my opponent to win the war of attrition on stamina. I'd get the last laugh and teleport inevitably.

Because both guys were rushdown melee characters, I rarely got the chance to use Change the Future, which is a shame. It was still funny waiting 10 seconds for that Supernova to come at me only to serve as counter fuel. If I didn't have that single block of Ki, I'd still block it for almost no damage.

I can't apparently block Victory Rush forever with Gero's Z-soul because regular blocked melee blows don't deal chip damage. However, the amount of light blows I received allowed me to Psychic Move out of the ultra quite early

Also learned something about 3 skills that i had equipped:

Recoome Kick
: people will often underestimate its amazing range
Victory Rush: can apparently be escaped by constantly dashing even if the first blow hits
Spirit Sword: amazing rushdown trap. The hitbox is tiny, but god damn does the ultimate come out quick, and stealthily. If someone approaches you with a dash attack, they can't see it coming, nor can they block. They get caught in it almost every single time, and then I'd take 30-40% of their HP in one move. And my Strike Super stat is a bit mediocre.

So why people like freiza race as melee type, don't have low attack? or does the attack speed make up for it?
And movement speed. Not to mention the ki paralysis is easier to hit with when near the enemy. They can hit&run and fly circles around you like nobody's business

Super Saiyan Bargain Sale is the most bullshit thing I've encountered in this game by far. Heat Dome and Big Bang Attack/Final Flash spam is a pain in the ass enough, but holy shit, you guys weren't lying about Goku and Gohan being complete assholes. Gohan's Super Kamehameha tears me up, even in the middle of my Final Flash animation.

I have the Frieza Z-Soul that revives you from death with 25% health, Infinite Ki, and Super Vegeta 2, so my strat is to just Final Flash everything and hope I live long enough, and it mostly works for Goten/Trunks/Vegeta/Future Trunks, but Goku and Gohan can fuck right off.

Edit: YO FUCK GOHAN'S BITCH ASS

Some of these missions are really grating on me now. I don't mind a challenge but it gets a little silly when you're being cornered by multiple SSJ's all spamming ultras and making group infinites. I can't even get a chance to heal let alone try and fight back.

Nameless

Super Saiyan Bargain Sale is the most bullshit thing I've encountered in this game by far. Heat Dome and Big Bang Attack/Final Flash spam is a pain in the ass enough, but holy shit, you guys weren't lying about Goku and Gohan being complete assholes. Gohan's Super Kamehameha tears me up, even in the middle of my Final Flash animation.

I have the Frieza Z-Soul that revives you from death with 25% health, Infinite Ki, and Super Vegeta 2, so my strat is to just Final Flash everything and hope I live long enough, and it mostly works for Goten/Trunks/Vegeta/Future Trunks, but Goku and Gohan can fuck right off.

Edit: YO FUCK GOHAN'S BITCH ASS

One of the best edits in GAF history.

SoulUnison

Banned
Is the online any better yet?

I want to play this online with randoms, like a DBZ Phantasy Star Online, but even when I seem to be able to finally get a connection, the multiplayer systems seem to be kind of pointlessly varied and convoluted.

I wish playing with others was as quick and easy as just picking a quest you want to work on then being instantly matched with similar leveled players interested in the same mission. As it is now there's hoping you can get into a Quick Match, or creating a room and hoping people eventually show up, or trying to figure out the weirdly inconvenient and confusing Party/Team system.

And then after a mission or two I get "disconnected" and kicked back to the start menu and have to hope the game will let me back in.

I paid 50 bucks for this, and I don't feel like I should have to choose between online that's lackluster to set up when it even bothers to work, or giving up my ability to communicate with any of my Steam friends while I play in offline-only mode.

Game would be fun if it worked, but it's just broken right now.

EDIT: Why isn't there a Current Team or Recent Players list?Some of my issues with multiplayer would be alleviated if I could add someone I'm playing with to favorites once I know we have a good connection to each other, but the way Online PQ Quick Match works, you play with some randoms and then have to just hope you run into them again, someday.

Spinluck

Man Piccolo is by far the best AI teammate in the game.

His 4th set which I believe has the Kami + Piccolo Z-Soul makes him a force. He doesn't deal much damage (that's your job) but is really defensive and fires a lot ki blast that disrupt CPU combos. His health regent pretty much guarantees that he last the match, and he revives fallen allies instantly.

I have yet to see him die on me, and when I want to get through some of the tougher lamer missions I just choose two Pics as my allies. Anyway, from what I've been testing/messing with.

Best Teammates:

1. Piccolo (4th set 2nd to last)
2. Perfect Cell (Full Power) he actually combos and spams Evasive techs. He lasts longer than most but he ain't no Piccolo.
3. Any Goku since they all seem to spam Kamehameha. This one is a bit iffy, since Goku is closer to the rest of the AI which is really shitty. But I've got some good results from him.

Overall, Piccolo is definitely the go to if your AI is dying on you fast and are not being the decoys they're supposed to be.

Yaari

Nah its still shit. I've not spend a minute online and I got it on last Friday. That said, I like it enough to keep me busy. But its certainly a bad case on their part, and the lack of communication makes it worse.

Nordicus

Whats Endless Battle mode anyway?
Basically King of the Hill, it's a pretty standard fighting game mode. Winner gets to keep playing while the loser goes to back of the line to wait for their turn as challenger again.
Does Yamcha ever show up as a trainer? I want to learn the WOLF FANG FIST. :<
He doesn't, but it's likely that he will in the future. Wolf fang fist, Spirit ball, and "Play dead" are missing, and so are Tien's signature moves.
As it is now there's hoping you can get into a Quick Match, or creating a room and hoping people eventually show up, or trying to figure out the weirdly inconvenient and confusing Party/Team system.
Hold on, aren't you forgetting the manual searches on rooms? They're often multiple times faster than Quick Match, especially if there are no incomplete groups wanting to do the PQ you put in. Then it just returns "No results" almost immediately

Scirrocco

Any idea how you unlock Vegetto? I fought him and beat him in PQ 49 but that didn't do it. Do you have to do it single player? For some reason i've noticed in terms of clear, doing it online seems to be wonky.

Also, i've never messed with steam cloud before, how do you use it? I'd like to transfer my save to another computer so i can level while i travel, but can't seem to figure out how it works.

Gelid is the best Friezan name.

Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are unlocked in the store later in the story. Super Vegeta and all forms of Kaioken are not.

Kaioken 1 is in the store for me. Not sure about x3(not in the store but I already have it) and x20 I don't think is available yet at the part I'm at.

And yeah SSJ unlocks pretty early, I actually spent a bunch of time farming it when really I should have just done a few more stories. I got it after the trunks/android stuff, though I didn't check the shop after Cell so it might have been already available at that point, which is basically one/two story arcs after it becomes available as a drop. Does cost like 25k though, but that's not a big deal.

SSJ unlocks in the shop after the Cell Saga, SSJ2 after the Buu Saga. Super Vegeta 1 and 2 are PQ quest drops, though Super Vegeta 2 is far, far easier to get.

Just beat the main story. This is definitely the most enjoyable DBZ game in a long, long time. In between my favorite DBZ character being a major part of the plot (Future Trunks) and my favorite villain in the series having some of the best dialogue in the game (Too bad he doesn't give hugs =/), this is seriously the DBZ game middle school aged me could have only dreamed of. I even fist pumped a bit when my CaC did that
twin Kamehameha with Goku at the end of the game.

Bogeypop

SSJ unlocks in the shop after the Cell Saga, SSJ2 after the Buu Saga. Super Vegeta 1 and 2 are PQ quest drops, though Super Vegeta 2 is far, far easier to get.

I was fixing to call you a liar, but as I was retrying the quest a few times before this bad boy dropped I realized just how tedious getting Super Vegeta was, and how straight-forward this quest is. Oddly enough I didn't get Kid Buu to revive and still got the drop. Guess Super Vanishing Ball is the only thing that drops from the revived Buu.
Which means back to farming this quest

How do you get Tapion's sword?

It's your lucky day! I posted about this yesterday.

Which reminds me, there are items in PQs that aren't listed under the rewards. For instance, I got Tapion's Sword from PQ 22 by talking to Trunks in-mission.

Kaioken 1 is in the store for me. Not sure about x3(not in the store but I already have it) and x20 I don't think is available yet at the part I'm at.

And yeah SSJ unlocks pretty early, I actually spent a bunch of time farming it when really I should have just done a few more stories. I got it after the trunks/android stuff, though I didn't check the shop after Cell so it might have been already available at that point, which is basically one/two story arcs after it becomes available as a drop. Does cost like 25k though, but that's not a big deal.

I'll have to check my store again, but I'd swear Kaioken isn't there.

Hrm.

It's your lucky day! I posted about this yesterday.

I'll have to check my store again, but I'd swear Kaioken isn't there.

Hrm.

Do you already have it though? I assume shop stuff goes away if you already have the skill. I didn't get Kaioken but got Kaioken x3 and soon after when I checked for new skills Kaioken was in there.

Do you already have it though? I assume shop stuff goes away if you already have the skill. I didn't get Kaioken but got Kaioken x3 and soon after when I checked for new skills Kaioken was in there.

Oh, you know what that might be it. I managed to get Kaioken very early on thanks to the RNG gods, and I barely looked at the shops that early in the game.

Finally had some time to sit down w/ it and its certainly enjoyable, but i feel like the controls are oddly stiff and i'm just not very good at the game. Its also my first DBZ video game (well, except for dragon ball origins).

Anyone have some good advice for a newbie?

Top Bottom