• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Finally had some time to sit down w/ it and its certainly enjoyable, but i feel like the controls are oddly stiff and i'm just not very good at the game. Its also my first DBZ video game (well, except for dragon ball origins).

Anyone have some good advice for a newbie?

If a particular challenge is too difficult, try levelling in a different one. Victories award far more than defeats, and new skills and equipment can make all the difference later on. Parallel Quests are a good place to do this.

Also, keep in mind that rewards and some events in a PQ are random, so don't be alarmed if a particular item doesn't drop immediately. It will eventually, for some people sooner than others.

Lastly, if you can't play because the servers are dead, play in offline mode on Steam or disallow access to the Internet on consoles. This will allow you to play singleplayer in peace. We're all hoping that Bamco is working on the server issues. (Xenoverse is too popular!)

Pastry

Banned
Okay so you can roll new characters at some point?

Do you get to keep equipment, skill points and abilities or do you have to level every new character up? When can you roll a new one?

patchday

Okay so you can roll new characters at some point?

Do you get to keep equipment, skill points and abilities or do you have to level every new character up? When can you roll a new one?

yes new characters get everything after you beat the campaign. But you need to grind them back up. But its dirt fast after you unlock all the PQs. my 2nd character almost as high as the original

For everyone saying to play in offline mode for server issues, I'm finding what actually works better is to just kill the internet on my computer, then launch the game, then alt-tab and reenable the internet. That way steam will reconnect and I can keep using my steam network features while playing the game offline. Personally I only wanted to play single player anyway so I couldn't actually care less if the servers ever work but it would be nice if they would patch in a menu option to just launch into offline singleplayer.

For everyone saying to play in offline mode for server issues, I'm finding what actually works better is to just kill the internet on my computer, then launch the game, then alt-tab and reenable the internet. That way steam will reconnect and I can keep using my steam network features while playing the game offline. Personally I only wanted to play single player anyway so I couldn't actually care less if the servers ever work but it would be nice if they would patch in a menu option to just launch into offline singleplayer.

If I had to guess the game wants to connect to the server first so that it can award your characters with their current autoplay rewards. The only problem is that the servers are too overloaded to respond, which leads to endless loading or disconnections before it can get to the "server unavailable, offline mode enabled" part of the process.

AGITΩ

Welp, I finally beat story mode earlier so I could make some new characters, but first, more of my OG Character prior to final battle
zxALrUH.jpg

5xDTWE9.jpg
then what I did afterwards...

If a particular challenge is too difficult, try levelling in a different one. Victories award far more than defeats, and new skills and equipment can make all the difference later on. Parallel Quests are a good place to do this.

Also, keep in mind that rewards and some events in a PQ are random, so don't be alarmed if a particular item doesn't drop immediately. It will eventually, for some people sooner than others.

Lastly, if you can't play because the servers are dead, play in offline mode on Steam or disallow access to the Internet on consoles. This will allow you to play singleplayer in peace. We're all hoping that Bamco is working on the server issues. (Xenoverse is too popular!)

Thank you kindly for the advice :).

kaiiri

I'm trying to farm for goku's turtle hermit gi (no character) and tho I finish pq 19 easily enough it doesn't seem to drop anything except maybe some capsule. do I have to do the secret mission part for it to drop?

and if so.. how do I? I read you just have to beat goku before gohan and trunks before vegeta so they transform (which they do) ... and I beat them.. it still says I didn't complete fully complete the bonus mission stuff.

tips?

BHK3

Banned
So is there some way to quickly teleport/dash to your opponent after you smack them away?

If you have the stamina, just press A and you'll appear right behind them after you launch them away. I think you have to wait a half second after you launch them, I'm still using 13 year old muscle memory from budokai 1 so I'm not sure on the timing.

So is there some way to quickly teleport/dash to your opponent after you smack them away?

Yes.

Heavy attacking (RMB on PC) after certain combos has your character chase after the target to continue the combo; for others, light attacking (LMB on PC) will teleport your character behind, in their trajectory, allowing you to continue the combo. There are also some instances where ascending (and maybe decending as well? space bar/x on PC) after the combo teleports your character in their target's trajectory, a la light attack. In all cases there's some sort of limit, but I'm not sure what decides it... probably stamina.

There's probably more to it than just this, but even these allow for some pretty brutal combos.

Nordicus

There are 3 kinds of teleport/chase attacks

1) Some combo strings just have teleport attacks* in them. Majins have 2 in their Heavy Light Light Light Light combo
2) There are strike supers that include a teleport attack* like Meteor Strike and Meteor Blow
3) After completeing the full combo string, you can press the Jump button to teleport near them in a way that allows you to continue your combo, if you have 2 stamina

*attack can be cancelled after doing the teleport by holding Block or inputting the command of a super/ultimate

Trickster

So am I crazy or are a ton of the 25+ parallel quest's bonus objectives just entirely rng dependent? Like, I do exactly what the guides say's I have to do, but the bonus objectives just doesn't trigger. I've tried one of them probably 7-9 times now, and still no bonus objective.

It's fucking dumb

How do you get Super Vegeta skill? I know it's on mission 16 but what are the requirements?

So am I crazy or are a ton of the 25+ parallel quest's bonus objectives just entirely rng dependent? Like, I do exactly what the guides say's I have to do, but the bonus objectives just doesn't trigger. I've tried one of them probably 7-9 times now, and still no bonus objective.

It's fucking dumb
Yeah I think a lot of them are RNG. Some of them there's no way to guarantee what you're looking for will happen

KiTA

I've been holding off on this, but figure I might make the plunge -- is it worth picking up? I've never touched any of the DBZ games, so I have no idea what I'm getting into, but the fact that it saves the DBO MMORPG's plot and the general premise had me super hyped.

Alchemy

Whelp, completed all the content. Time to farm two more sets of Dragon Balls so I can finally have all the characters unlocked. Also... the level cap is 80? Lame.

This game really brings back some childhood memories. I love Toriyama's art style so much. Glad they finally made a game that mirrors the anime so well.

Nordicus

I've been holding off on this, but figure I might make the plunge -- is it worth picking up? I've never touched any of the DBZ games, so I have no idea what I'm getting into, but the fact that it saves the DBO MMORPG's plot and the general premise had me super hyped.
You are a DBZ fan correct? There is little reason for you not to have a copy of the game in your hands right now :p

But neither of them are on that mission. Do they just randomly appear?
When Frieza appears, the portal to his ship opens up. If you talk to Krillin there, he'll join you

You are a DBZ fan correct? There is little reason for you not to have a copy of the game in your hands right now :p

When Frieza appears, the portal to his ship opens up. If you talk to Krillin there, he'll join you

Ok, thanks. I guess he only appears sometimes though because I checked and he wasn't there. Maybe too much luck involved to bother

Nordicus

Ok, thanks. I guess he only appears sometimes though because I checked and he wasn't there. Maybe too much luck involved to bother
No, Krillin is in the ship 100% of the time once Frieza pops up in the mission. Behind one of the closed doors. Check with your scouter if you don't believe

martino

Ok so for difficult mission for ki caracter use double kiezan (c18 master ultimate) and recoome ultimate ultimate figther bomber is a good combo. Ultimate figther bomber anihilate IA striker caracter and double kiezan who seems to be unblockable and effective mid range.

I ended young goten/young trunk/bardock missions thank to that

TimFL

Got Instant Transmission. Can u really dodge ults with it? Might come in handy then. Thought I needed to do those bonus missions during the quest, but it just dropped randomly after not triggering the event. :p

You can't, really. It's way too slow (takes 1-2 seconds to teleport) and if you are far away it teleports you infront of your opponent. You have to be close to him in order to appear behind him which means you most definitely get hit.

I still use it because it's good to close in on targets for when you have to protect a bot and you are fighting multiple opponents.

Having the "Super Electric Strike" and "Super Vegeta 2" would be nice.

Nice setup, I'd replace Full Power Charge with Maximum Charge though. You can buy it in the skill shop or farm it in one of the higher PQs. It REALLY makes a difference in terms of Ki charge time.

Tsunamo

Finally did the Bardock babysitting mission (just barely, a second longer and he'd have been hit and died) and cleared the Secret Saga. Second half was good fun, I enjoyed seeing something a little more chaotic
Where behind the scenes you're stopping history from changing, while changing scenery/time periods a bunch

Really hope the GT DLC has a decent amount of story content, I have a real itch for more of it and some other filler until the sequel comes out (which will be a long while)
In the meantime I can finish off some more PQ's and work on farming the rest of the DragonBalls.

Alchemist

Does anyone know what skills can you put in input L2 + R2 + O? I see its a grayed out option when fighting as if I could put something there.. Is this a Shenron wish?

TimFL

Does anyone know what skills can you put in input L2 + R2 + O? I see its a grayed out option when fighting as if I could put something there.. Is this a Shenron wish?

It's currently disabled. I could see them opening it up later on in a DLC/future update.

Gbraga

While part of the reason is because PVP is broken with all the level and items, I'm really surprised that what I'm enjoying the most is PVE, I bought the game solely because of the battle mechanics and looking forward to PVP, but all I do is grind quests over and over again for the small chance of a new equip drop :')

Nordicus

I just beat Kid Trunk's PQ at level 70. Did a lot of Blue Hurricane abuse and the skill has become fairly easy for me to hit with. However it really doesn't do spectacular damage when done in a combo, because then the enemy is in this different kind of "bounce state" where they will only be hit once in a while instead of like 5 times a second

Also, Xenoverse conquering Germany
Top 10 Germany (Week 9, February 23-28)

01 (NE) PS4 DRAGON BALL: XENOVERSE
02 (01) PS4 THE ORDER: 1886
03 (02) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK 3D
04 (03) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V
05 (06) PS4 FIFA 15
06 (NE) XBO DRAGON BALL: XENOVERSE
07 (05) PS4 EVOLVE
08 (NE) PS3 DRAGON BALL: XENOVERSE
09 (04) 3DS MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE
10 (10) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE

Respect

Final Flash is aces. Also a little pissed because I was a lot closer to getting it a day sooner. Didn't realilze you just had to get vegeta to half health...I was probably 1 quick fire galick gun away from victory but kinda gave up because I saw the timer at like 10 seconds and knew there was no way I was burning him down that much. So I just kinda screwed around for those last 10 seconds. Should have realized the objective isn't to KO him. /lesson learned for future masters

EDIT: Any tips for Super Saiyan Goku? He just eats Frieza alive so fast...most of the attempts have had Frieza at near full health when Goku goes SS but one ultimate kamehameha and a good 40% of his health is gone.

Omni

Beerus and Whis are kicking my ass

Almost manged to get Whis but Trunks died and then they both started pounding me. Will probably grind a bit more before I attempt that again. I'm level 46 right now

Corgi

Banned
man PQ15 or w/e the one against Freeza solo ain't no joke. Don't think i can do enough damage to even break the super armor yet :/

Haven't really found ki ultras that I like more than the starting one... if they all cost the same... I assume damage is balanced to do around the same?

What are the good ki ultras y'all recommend?

Also I don't get mentors... are you suppose to level them up somehow? Don't notice any kind of metric or any menu. Got the evil explosion thing from piccolo, not sure how to get his other stuff.

Gbraga

Also I don't get mentors... are you suppose to level them up somehow? Don't notice any kind of metric or any menu. Got the evil explosion thing from piccolo, not sure how to get his other stuff.

Use their skills and take them with you on parallel quests, they'll give you one or two more moves and then will ask for a particular item in order to finish their quest.

Bogeypop

Go to "Play Data" in the menu and turn the page to the left with LB or R1 depending on your system and it should have a list of all the mentors you've unlocked along with their Mastery level. As mentioned before use the skills they teach you or bring them along with you during Parallel Quests to raise Mastery with them.

Are mentors unlocked through story progress? Think only seen piccolo and ginyu

Yes

Respec'd my Saiyan to Super Vegeta 2 Death Ball Spam. The game just became the biggest of jokes, lol.

Ultimates really need a cooldown. And Super Saiyan needs to drain Ki quicker.

Alchemist

Haven't really found ki ultras that I like more than the starting one... if they all cost the same... I assume damage is balanced to do around the same?

What are the good ki ultras y'all recommend?

Final Flash, Death Ball and Super Electric Strike.

Top Bottom