• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oh my fucking god that majin buu mission tho, what the fuck man. ssj goku is useless(just like every other a.i. partner in the game) and they just send countless waves of buu at you, i thought it was just gonna be 3 buus but nope, they constantly kept bringing out smaller versions and i ended up failing the mission cause ssj3 goku died when we were fighting the regular buus.
tore the shit out of that mission on my frieza dude with scatter kamehameha.

patchday

You new guys gotta realize your friendly npcs will be your same level. So if you're only like L24 going up against L40s your friendly is gonna get pwned unless you Wall of Defense him (a technique you must learn for more difficult SP content unless you plan to outlevel all the NPCs)

Read the IGN interview. First time reading one of their reviews in years. He hit some good points but alas, I felt like the reviewer didn't have very detailed knowledge of the game. I mean, he didn't even complain about RNG did he? <face palm>

Lately, the only reviewer I've seen seriously impress me with detailed working knowledge of the title they were covering was Kotaku's recent article where they were complaining about Destiny. And this was only because the reviewer put in hundreds of hours on the game which is a rare feat.

Not trying to slag all reviewers overall. I just don't read them. I go by word of mouth and GAF

[edit] Oh snap I'm lying. I do sometimes read reviews. Before I purchased DBZ Xenoverse I looked up a review since I was worried it would suck bad and GAF didn't have impressions yet (I was preordering). Gotta keep it real. But usually I dont bother with reviews beyond AngryJoe for the good humor (but I already own said game by the time he covers it)

DCDW

Finally found Goku in the hub as my mentor. Also farming for Vegito's clothes, since I'm not really feeling the Four Star or GT Goku's clothes atm. Can anyone recommend some good alternate Supers and Ultimates for a Ki Blast user? No regular stuff please, like the Death Ball, Kamehameha, Super Electric Strike, Final Flash etc. I wonder if some other higher level skills are also viable. Just unlocked that Genocide Shells Super and it was the most useless attack I've ever seen. U basically drop four small purple unmovable balls in front of u and hope the enemy walks over it? XD

For a super I like Krillins Destructo Disk. I use a basic attack string then fire off the disk at point blank, if they don't try to side step, the attack hits and counts towards the combo and allows me to do the attack string again adding to the combo. If they do side step, the disk still tracks them and still connects allowing me to do the attack string again (disk does a small stun, leaving them open). With the Frieza race I find the basic attack string generates just enough ki to build up a full energy bar for the disk. I've gone on combos well over 50 hits. Also the DD does some solid damage.

Edit: Whoops quoted wrong post. It was meant for whoever was asking for recommendations for Supers/Ultimates to use.

Nameless

Praise RNGesus. Got Super Vegeta 2 and Super Electric Strike within 15 minutes of playing random online PQs. Sadly the latter was already ruined by the greatness of Death Ball before it ever had a chance. SV2 on the other hand, officially turned my character into a deity if she wasn't already. With Vegeta's Z-Soul Big Bang Attack does damage on par with some ultimates -- shits absurd.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
tore the shit out of that mission on my frieza dude with scatter kamehameha.

same with vacation delete lol - i'd throw it, kick two guys in different directions, then actually go for a damage dealing combo on the third. go back and fight back to back next to goku if i didn't have the ki back by then.

i ran a melee character through story mode so i'm just like fuck i WISH killing people ki attacks was an option

Bogeypop

I used Super Vanishing Ball for a few rounds. It can miss, it's harder to stunlock, and it's not invincible.

It does a lot more damage, which I thought it might be good, but once the enemy was right on my face attacking me, they pushed me back and the Super Vanishing Ball misses completely. Also, it's not fast enough to keep them in the air, where Deathball can constantly keep opponents in the air once their stamina guard is all gone.

If someone does Super Kamehameha on you just as you doe your ultimate, it will cancel your Super Vanishing Ball. That's why Death Ball is so much more powerful.

You are correct about it often missing at point-blank range. You are incorrect about the stunlock as you can easily, and constantly OTG with it as long as you have Ki. A Super Kamehameha will only cancel your Super Vanishing Ball or any other Ultimate Attack if you get hit during the start up frames. Though I was merely using Super Vanishing Ball to point out how it's better than Death Ball at the end of the day I still think there are better Ultimates than both it and Death Ball. Invincibility during Death Balls active frames seems to be the praise everyone gives it, but just about every Ultimate has the same thing. I suppose being able to spam-combo it into itself is the only other redeemable quality I hear people praising about it. Though I've merely been talking about it from a PvE perspective, but I could definitely see how it'd be great for PvP.

Now if you want to talk about terrible Ultimates then Shocking Death Ball... Now there's a contender... Even the default Ki Volley Ultimate hits more often than this thing. Actually it's not so bad if you're standing literally in front of an enemy.

Anyone know if Nappa's Ultimate is worth grinding for? It looks cool visually, but I'm worried it'll be a low tier ultimate given that it's associated with Nappa rather than the usual heavy hitters.

Bogeypop

If you combo into this all the shots home in on your target, it's extremely consistent. Still not a top tier move or anything, but yeah.

Hawkian just volunteered to take Full Power Energy Blast Volley to the number one spot in Ranked Matches. Take that No Land Beyond Solo Nightfall experience into DBX!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
dual destructo disc shouldn't work nearly as well as it does lol

i don't even think it does that much damage compared to stuff like final flash - its just scary how quick it happens i guess hahaha
Hawkian just volunteered to take Full Power Energy Blast Volley to the number one spot in Ranked Matches. Take that No Land Beyond Solo Nightfall experience into DBX!

dying

Astral

So I finally unlocked the quest that has Super Vegeta. I'll grind for it tomorrow. I'm glad I bought the game. I'm really enjoying it. I just wish I could have cool Saiyan armor without it being detrimental to my stats. How do I get Instant Transmission? I'm dying for it.

Pastry

Banned
What is the best way to grind dragonballs?

You can respec with dragonballs, right? I kind of messed up with my ability points.

Bogeypop

You can respec with dragonballs, right? I kind of messed up with my ability points.

PQ 2 or 12. I personally like 12 since you can instantly tell whether there's a Patroller to fight or not. The double-edged sword about 2 is you can finish it much faster than 12, but you have to kill Krillen, Yamcha, and Tien first before you even know if you have a shot at a Patroller. Also, yes, you can respec with the Dragon Balls.

Speaking of the Dragon Balls, I've been farming them waiting for Frieza to show up after maxing out Ginyu... I've almost completed 2 sets... I think you guys are all Ginyu Force sympathizers and lied to me about maxing him out first to get Frieza to show up so I'd do that ridiculous
ly awesome
dance.

CryptiK

PQ Prepare for the Saiyans. Kill Tien Yamcha and Krillin. Once killed look at the Kami Lookout see if you see another Patroller fight and beat him and you may get a material and a key item if you don't retry.

Teknoman

So guys is there no way to join a friend in a online lobby?

Thats a good question...you cant invite someone to your team without being in the same lobby server right? Maybe they need to patch that into the game, because that does seem like a grave oversight.

Also why isnt CTDB (capture the dragon balls) a multiplayer mode? Teams of 3 vs 3 scouring the map, trying to find a full set of dragon balls first. It seems like an obvious choice, especially with it being a quest already.

So I finally unlocked the quest that has Super Vegeta. I'll grind for it tomorrow. I'm glad I bought the game. I'm really enjoying it. I just wish I could have cool Saiyan armor without it being detrimental to my stats. How do I get Instant Transmission? I'm dying for it.

Well its not THAT detrimental. Seems like leveling and specialty far outweigh armor benefits...at least at low level anyway when checking the graph.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you know it

edit: I didn't even realize armor HAD stats. Been rocking the Bio Suit I started with the whole time.

Teknoman

So anyone know when the World Tournament actually opens or if there will be some different rules from normal vs? On that note, I wonder when the first GAF tournament will be or if we'll be able to have a decent one (scattered between platforms and all that).

EDIT: Man I cant wait until its easy to mod the music. Some of these tracks are way too low key or just unfitting.

Also this might be the first Steam game I try to go for a badge.

You are correct about it often missing at point-blank range. You are incorrect about the stunlock as you can easily, and constantly OTG with it as long as you have Ki. A Super Kamehameha will only cancel your Super Vanishing Ball or any other Ultimate Attack if you get hit during the start up frames. Though I was merely using Super Vanishing Ball to point out how it's better than Death Ball at the end of the day I still think there are better Ultimates than both it and Death Ball. Invincibility during Death Balls active frames seems to be the praise everyone gives it, but just about every Ultimate has the same thing. I suppose being able to spam-combo it into itself is the only other redeemable quality I hear people praising about it. Though I've merely been talking about it from a PvE perspective, but I could definitely see how it'd be great for PvP.

Now if you want to talk about terrible Ultimates then Shocking Death Ball... Now there's a contender... Even the default Ki Volley Ultimate hits more often than this thing. Actually it's not so bad if you're standing literally in front of an enemy.

Uh you get easily stunned out of your ultimate. Maybe try some harder PQs before you come to this conclusion. Vegeta, Goku, and Gohan will start firing ultimates like machine guns, you won't have a chance to fire anything.

And it doesn't stun lock, sorry, but you're wrong. Deathball keeps them in the same spot in the air the whole time. Super Vanishing Ball, they will land and can recover and move away. Happened plenty of times when I was using it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Goku has went super Saiyan like 6 times and still no super saiyan skill drop!

it's gonna be random every time, no way to know how many it will take. you can buy super saiyan though I think...? Not totally sure on that.

What about Kaioken btw? Are any of them even worth it?
Do you have to be playing as the custom character??
No, and this is honestly one of the sweetest-ass things about the game. I've never seen anything exactly like it. You can choose any character from like the fighting game-style roster and some have multiple costumes/skill variations, and you can get any drop that can occur on a mission and get XP which goes right back to your created character.

Game is great for one on one fights, but my god fighting multiple enemies is terrible. You can't block nor teleport unless you're locked unto to the person attacking. It's really frustrating especially when you have to solo story missions like that.

With that said, I need help dealing with this.

ZeroX03

Banned
Goku has went super Saiyan like 6 times and still no super saiyan skill drop! Do you have to be playing as the custom character??

I've been trying to get Death Ball all day. Keep Z ranking the mission and completing the optional objectives and get no drops. There's four skills from the mission. At least for the 20x Kaoiken PQ I got every other skill with the hours of grinding.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Enjoying the game a lot, my only real grip is there is very little content from the before Raditiz. Would have loved some stuff from the Red Ribbon army or to see Tai Pai Pai show up.

Nordicus

Hmm, I've not even tried the Wall of Defense skill. Might want to before going for that first secret mission
it's gonna be random every time, no way to know how many it will take. you can buy super saiyan though I think...? Not totally sure on that.

What about Kaioken btw? Are any of them even worth it?
x20 is because it drops evasive skill and vanish stamina consumption to 0, but I'm having trouble finding any justification for the x1 and x3 versions because the damage increase is minimal and you don't get the infinite stamina. You're better off using Recoome's fighting pose, especially if you have one of the numerous Z-souls that buff up your pose skills.

KiTA

Enjoying the game a lot, my only real grip is there is very little content from the before Raditiz. Would have loved some stuff from the Red Ribbon army or to see Tai Pai Pai show up.

Gotta save something for Xenoverse 2.

Wouldn't that be interesting, to see Xenoverse 2 dial it back to the original DB?

What do you use to punish/prevent the spam?

One of the easiest strategies against ball spammers(death ball supernova etc) is to dash, cancel the dash into a tap vanish(basically dash into the attack and hit the vanish buttton then cancel that vanish animation with an ascend or descend). You can chain this cancel together for some really crazy looking movement. its like a less complicated version of wave dashing from ssbm. but i can get around alot of attacks this way. if anyone wants i can upload a xbox record that of me moving around with it.

Im not perfect at it but its freaked some people out XD aside from that fanish cancel stuff once u get close enough to them while they are casting the ultimate or about to, you can just fully charged strong attack them to hit them out of it. im not 100% if they need to be at low stamina to knock them out of it but im pretty sure almost every strong attack i have done has knocked them out of it.

Nordicus

One of the easiest strategies against ball spammers(death ball supernova etc) is to dash, cancel the dash into a tap vanish(basically dash into the attack and hit the vanish buttton then cancel that vanish animation with an ascend or descend).
Ooooh, yeah yeah yeah, the stamina-free jumping vanish. I've not used it a lot but I know the command for it.

One of the easiest strategies against ball spammers(death ball supernova etc) is to dash, cancel the dash into a tap vanish(basically dash into the attack and hit the vanish buttton then cancel that vanish animation with an ascend or descend). If anyone wants i can upload a xbox record that of me moving around with it.

Yo I'd love a video of that.

Omni

I finished Vegeta's training tonight after some grinding. Ultimate attack is great.

Still having trouble beating Whis and Beerus though. I managed to kill Whis but at that point I was low on energy, stamina and health, and got pounded into the ground. I'll try again when I reach level 50.

It's getting easier though, I guess.

Durden77

Can you fight your masters anytime after you complete their training when they offer a sparring match? or is that a one time thing?

Langman

Neo Member
Loving the game at the minute, but it seems some obvious choices have been overlooked. Such as the simple option of being able to choose the colour of your aura, being an android and having the option to see clothing items before they are bought...

I think it is by far the best game we have been given in a very long time, but it seems some corners have been cut and for god knows any reason. No F.Race transforms and no android race, no actual SSJ transformation that stays on. Hopefully these may be in patches or updates, but I highly doubt it.

Namikaze

Loving the game at the minute, but it seems some obvious choices have been overlooked. Such as the simple option of being able to choose the colour of your aura, being an android and having the option to see clothing items before they are bought...

I think it is by far the best game we have been given in a very long time, but it seems some corners have been cut and for god knows any reason. No F.Race transforms and no android race, no actual SSJ transformation that stays on. Hopefully these may be in patches or updates, but I highly doubt it.

With the way SSJ works in this game, there's just no way we're getting a permanent transformation as it would ruin the game. Every match would be a rush to SSJ + then endless spam.

NinjaJesus

R29DUT3.jpg

Anyone on PC wanna grind out Super Vanishing Ball with me? (Super Vegeta 2 drops in the same PQ (PQ 38).

Add me on Steam if interested.

I cant believe how damn difficulty some of the PQ bonus objectives are in this game and its starting to make me dislike the game, there's difficulty and then there's just annoying

Ooooh, yeah yeah yeah, the stamina-free jumping vanish. I've not used it a lot but I know the command for it.

Yo I'd love a video of that.

First vid kinda sore from a marathon of fights against friends but I tried my best ><

http://xboxclips.com/TsumiyaKuroneko/abddb0b0-1c4b-496d-86f2-b3388236fd94

2nd vid has some much cleaner execution

http://xboxclips.com/TsumiyaKuroneko/4211303f-1342-492a-ac59-cd58b1d89cc8

These can be used to freak out the opponent & go through a bunch of the games popular spammed ultimates.

k1t4j

PQ Prepare for the Saiyans. Kill Tien Yamcha and Krillin. Once killed look at the Kami Lookout see if you see another Patroller fight and beat him and you may get a material and a key item if you don't retry.

That's how I do it too :). Takes me tops 30 minutes to grab all 7.

I hate Goku so much and his spamming ways.

Him and Gohan take the cake for spamming ults. That nº47 PQ where you fight them alone and all they do is spam Kamehameha is annoying as fuck.

Top Bottom