• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Welfare

I apologize if this is bad form to come into the OT and ask this, but I've been reading a little bit of this OT and I'm curious:

Exactly what kind of game is this?

I mean, I get that the idea is that you create your character and join in all the big parts of the series, but I'm also seeing talk of gear and stats and levels and builds, to a greater degree than other DBZ games. It almost sounds like an MMO fighter the way this thread reads.

It's really got me intrigued.

You could say it's MMO esque. It's got RPG elements of a level system and you can do Parallel quests (side quests) to gain XP and money, as well as random drops to improve your character.

Nordicus

I mean, I get that the idea is that you create your character and join in all the big parts of the series, but I'm also seeing talk of gear and stats and levels and builds, to a greater degree than other DBZ games. It almost sounds like an MMO fighter the way this thread reads.

It's Destiny/Monster Hunter/Phantasy Star Online with DBZ skin and combat mechanics. You level up, and gain equipment, almost playstyle-defining buffs called Z-souls and special moves from somewhat dungeon-esque missions as drops. If a mission has you go against a bunch of androids, then you'll get android themed loot, etc.

TCKaos

I apologize if this is bad form to come into the OT and ask this, but I've been reading a little bit of this OT and I'm curious:

It's a DBZ-Sim with the ability to completely determine your own stat build and moveset. You grind lots for loot, which takes the form of Super attacks, Ultimate attacks, and lots of gear that provides stat boosts and stuff.

It's like Destiny Ball Z + Monster Hunter + Actual Fun.

Respect

One arrow is equal to one stat point, lol. It's not much.

Thanks! Good to know...not much for pieces that only have one and 2 arrow buffs/debuffs...could add up for whole sets though, especially 5 arrow sets w/ a z soul. Really wish they would have added the ability to recolor all armor, not just starter gear.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't understand how trainers work at all. Is there a menu to see who I'm currently training under etc? Saw nothing in the start menu or anywhere else. Online confuses me too, is there a way to join people's lobbies?

I don't understand how trainers work at all. Is there a menu to see who I'm currently training under etc? Saw nothing in the start menu or anywhere else. Online confuses me too, is there a way to join people's lobbies?

Go to the third tab in Play Data in the start menu

Who you're training under stays in the login area in front of Mr Satan's statue as long as you're training with them.

You can check your training progress on the Play Data menu

I have two questions guys:
1- how do i use grab move?
2- what the hell does vegeta want from me when he asks me to "you are suppose to be bringing me I am the strongest on earth!!" like...what?!

2- what the hell does vegeta want from me when he asks me to "you are suppose to be bringing me I am the strongest on earth!!" like...what?!

Grabbing is done by pressing Circle/B while blocking with L1/LB and the second sounds like he wants a specific Z-Soul from you :eek:

1) Block + O on the PlayStation.

2) The "I'm the strongest on Earth" is a Z-soul that randomly drops from one of the PQ's. It's the one where you fight Raditz, Nappa, and then Vegeta.

O.O

I need this. How do I get it?

You can see the recipe in the store. But IIRC, you need 'Double it but go no further" Z-Soul + a Soul Echo Device to get Kami's Z-Soul "What the world needs now is not god." Then you need Piccolo's Z-Soul "Don't Underestimate Earth" + Nail's Z-Soul "I must protect Super Kami Guru" and fuse those to get Piccolo+Nail's Z Soul whose name I can't remember.

Combine those two to get Kami and Piccolo's fused Z-soul.

cHinzo

juat got z soul "i'm neither kami nor piccolo now" that is essential for later harder levels imo

Meh, I prefer those Ki improving Z-Souls, like 'I am Super Vegeta' (extra damage when transforming) and 'Why Youuuuu' (Full Ki after every kill) myself. :D

Man, that Vegito armor is really rare. Can't seem to get the top or bottom to drop. Gonna take a while before I can make screens from it. >.<

Sephzilla

I''ve played a few DBZ games with my cousin and I've said for a few years that they should include an alternate vocal track the the TFS guys. They're as ingrained into the characters as the original actors nowadays, to me.

Agreed. Heck sometimes watching the real show I expect TFS lines to pop up. Like when Vegeta turns SSJ against Android 19, I keep expecting Dr Gero to scream "SERIOUSLY, WTF IS NAMEK!?".

I also think TFS Vegeta is my preferred version of the character.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Soo watching DBZ Kai Abridged episode 2 and when krillin uses Solar Flare this flashes a couple times.... wtf?
RQwuCm0.png

Grabbing is done by pressing Circle/B while blocking with L1/LB and the second sounds like he wants a specific Z-Soul from you :eek:

1) Block + O on the PlayStation.

2) The "I'm the strongest on Earth" is a Z-soul that randomly drops from one of the PQ's. It's the one where you fight Raditz, Nappa, and then Vegeta.

thanks guys.

I am now at the cell saga and....really game? fight hercule twice over fighting 17 or 18? or 16? or dr.gero? or imperfect cell?

Nameless

It occurred me that I haven't read up on the DLC plans:

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2015/02/dragon-ball-xenoverse-dlc-videos-and-information/

DLC Pack 1 (Paid)

• 3 playable characters: GT Goku, Pan & GT Trunks
  • 4 Time Patrol quests, including those related to DBGT
  • 12 Quests
  • 5 Additional costumes, such as Spike the Devilman and Launch’s outfit
    15 skills for the players’ custom characters, such as
  • Final Shine Attack, Power Pole combos, and the Spirit Bomb

If that's the level of content we can expect across all three DLC packs the season pass sounds pretty tempting at $24.99

It occurred me that I haven't read up on the DLC plans:

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2015/02/dragon-ball-xenoverse-dlc-videos-and-information/

If that's the level of content we can expect across all three DLC packs the season pass sounds pretty tempting at $24.99
That is actually a good amount of content.
I am going to guess pack 1 is GT, pack 2 is DB, pack 3 is based on the movies.

Edit: Saw the link,
Master Roshi? YES! Also him and Lunch being in it pretty much means we are getting a Dragonball pack

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stayed stable for a while last night in the Multi lobby and interacted with a few people and you can really see what they are going for with this. It's a better use of the DBZ license than I would have expected from a game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see many reviewers docking points based on how frequent the disconnects are and general network instability. Shame, but they really need to work it out to have a release like this. I'm glad it's selling well but I don't expect a critical reception to hit any particular high marks, because the issues are really pretty widespread and a lot of the game's appeal is structured around the online features.

Haven't even finished the story which makes this a pretty preliminary review, but it's actually kind of a complicated game, and I'm not all that surprised it's taken a while for many reviews to come out. I have a lot of questions about how things work and the best things to pursue in ways that are more like an MMO or game like Monster Hunter than what I expected. But there are basically two things I can say about it with relative certainty, 1) if you are any kind of dbz fan whatsoever, get it and 2) if you aren't a dbz fan of any kind, I can't recommend it to you. That's not to say people who aren't dbz fans can't possibly enjoy it, I just don't necessarily think it's worth their time. I mean by all means, try it out, but I can't exactly imagine it converting most people (or even making a basic amount of sense) if they have literally no experience with the manga or show.

The real value here is for people with at least a passing familiarity with the characters and the universe, and the most obvious accomplishment is merely allowing you to create a character that fits into this world and can fight alongside the heroes and villains you've seen fighting each other a million times. You get to be that character that shows up and manages to overcome the enemy when all the other characters have exhausted their power. And... that's exactly what you've always wanted and you know it. The combat is fun and extremely customizable (though also deeply unbalanced in a competitive sense), and the reward structure is ridiculously addictive, especially when you get to experience the online co-op as it's intended to work. I've seen a lot of comparisons to Destiny (and PSO as a sort of shared ancestor, which is more than fair), but the RNG base is much more similar to Monster Hunter in encouraging intensive over longitudinal play: I may not be playing this a month from now, but dammit if I won't replay the same mission 15 times in a row grinding for a certain drop, and like it. The real saving grace here is that there aren't any progression-critical items that can only be obtained by RNG, so it's just the things you want in terms of customizing your character that you're grinding for.

There's also the sort of built-in excuse that what you're doing when you repeat quests for indefinite amounts of time is simply training to become stronger like any character in DBZ would. Repeating the same thing over and over again in the vain hopes of spontaneously unlocking a powerful ability? Sounds a lot like Vegeta endlessly pursuing his SSJ status or a good session in the Hyperbaric Time Chamber. It all just feels a little more native than grind usually does, and saves the game from feeling like "Psuedo-MMO Action RPG with DBZ-colored Paint Applied." I also really need to give a shout out to the design decision that allows you to choose any character you've unlocked on the roster for Parallel Quests and still get XP and drops for your own custom character. Many of the series' stalwarts play very noticeably different from one another, and even have multiple variants that themselves feel different, and when choosing them you get access to abilities and skills you haven't necessarily unlocked yet yourself. Being able to do this while still progressing vertically keeps things fresh for me despite enormous amounts of repetition, and I've honestly never really encountered another game that provides this option.

The real headline is that if you're any sort of DBZ fan whatsoever this should just be a game you're playing right now. There's enough fan service, good core ideas and attention to detail to win just about anyone who has a favorite character over, and plenty of reasons to spend time in the world. I'd be comfortable describing it as a 6/10 for just anyone, but an 8.5/10 for big fans- though a point deserves to be docked from either number if the network stability doesn't improve.

edit: DBZ Abridged is the ultimate companion to this game, I beg of you to watch it if you haven't. Tragically it only gets up to the Cell Saga so far.

Are there any requirements for getting these Time Shards? I've only got two left to get now but I was wondering if maybe I need a Z rank for them to drop since that's how I got my last one.

Are there any requirements for getting these Time Shards? I've only got two left to get now but I was wondering if maybe I need a Z rank for them to drop since that's how I got my last one.

Nah, the ranks I got on missions I got them on weren't too high. They're the same as any other rare drop, just random.

was doing a pq and it was going fine until ginyu(in goku's body) turned ssj... he had that fucking armor -_- whoever thought that was a good idea, fuck him(or her) and fuck the person who approved it. starting to get really frustrated with this game

has anyone actually managed to get

you're insanely annoying from PQ13

or

Now i'm mad!!!!!! from PQ14

been trying on and off for several days and cannot get either

was doing a pq and it was going fine until ginyu(in goku's body) turned ssj... he had that fucking armor -_- whoever thought that was a good idea, fuck him(or her) and fuck the person who approved it. starting to get really frustrated with this game
The invincible armor and babysitting the CPU is this games biggest frustrations. Hopefully something gets done.

The invincible armor and babysitting the CPU is this games biggest frustrations. Hopefully something gets done.

i hope someone finds a way to disable that shit on pc, even if it means only playing offline(which i basically am since i can't connect to the servers, i gotta disconnect the wifi on my computer before starting the game to even play it cause otherwise it just sits there trying to connect)

Alchemy

Cleared all the PQs (not Z), unlocked all the characters, got to level 80... still have like 5 mentors to max. Not sure if I want to? Might take a break until DLC arrives...

Teknoman

So the standard flip jump (press forward and jump without holding forward afterwards), is that invincible for a little on start up? It lets you do a heavy hit downward slam without having to charge, but im not sure if its safe.

Nordicus

I honestly do not mind super armor opponents that much when you're outnumbering them, it keeps the fights from becoming complete child's play in PQs.

Sephzilla

its super armor that makes me wonder how anyone can get anything done without cheesing with ultimate spam.

for some of the later game stuff i absolutely had to cheese things a little bit. that fight with you/trunks vs whis/beerus is rediculous

SOLDIER

I just got this game for PS4, and I'm having this weird issue where the camera (right analog stick) keeps moving upward all on its own. I was worried this might be an issue with my controller, but I tried other games to check, and this seems to be exclusively an issue with Xenoverse.

It didn't seem to have this issue when I started the game, but after a few minutes on the character customization screen that's when the issue started. Any ideas?

Top Bottom