• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
[*]Fragment locating services such as a fragment detector that marks the tablet fragments on your map, and a new companion who can give you hints about shard locations at any time.

In my memories of playing the PS1 game, this feature is HUGE.

Raw64life

The 4 year wait is finally over.

Amazon says shipping today but I know I'll just be disappointed if I try to convince myself that I might get it tomorrow.

Yea, there were definitely a couple fragments that I just cheat and looked them up. I remember going nuts looking for one and it ended up being under a random corner of a building in a town that the only way to see it was to turn the camera a certain way.

Amazon shipped mine today, can't wait to ruin the start of this semester with some good old DQ :D
Speaking of which, are there some suggested guides to follow or is it better to do a blind run? (first time playing this chapter).

I'm hoping my Dragon Warrior VII Prima guide that I still have will suffice. I remember playing this on PS1 and wondering how the hell you're supposed to know what to do next without a guide. If you can find a spoiler-free walkthrough, go for it. Although, if you follow a walkthrough, you'll probably have to grind a bit too. I guess "getting lost" can be the same as grinding.

Now my answer is super unhelpful. Sorry.

EDIT: I see that there is a fragment detector, so that definitely helps with the "no need for a guide" side of things.

Not forgotten by me you warriors of Eden!

Can hardly wait until I can pick it up on Friday. But then again I've been waiting years already, what's two more days?

Congrats everyone, we did it!

I'm kinda torn.

I've already played this game a bunch, both the PS1 and 3DS versions... and both of them fairly recently.

I have this on preorder, it will probably arrive Monday.

It's just, I'm like a month out from having a baby. If I'm not done playing this by the time he shows up, probably I will have a half completed save that I never go back to.

At the same time, if I don't play now, probably I'll never get anything out of the streetpass content, which is the main thing I never got out of the JP version.

:\

Maniel

Banned
Never played the original release, but I played 1-6 all this year. Needless to say my copy is coming on Friday.

JSevere

woo can't wait to get my hands on this, I've been waiting for yeeears

only other DQ game I've played is DQ8 on the PS2, never finished it though

Pinky

Banned
Tried to play the original on PS1, but I couldn't get into it. This, however, looks great and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

DaddyDonuts

Neo Member
I'm kinda torn.

I've already played this game a bunch, both the PS1 and 3DS versions... and both of them fairly recently.

I have this on preorder, it will probably arrive Monday.

It's just, I'm like a month out from having a baby. If I'm not done playing this by the time he shows up, probably I will have a half completed save that I never go back to.

At the same time, if I don't play now, probably I'll never get anything out of the streetpass content, which is the main thing I never got out of the JP version.

:\

I have two kids. Playing video games (especially handhelds) isn't as tough to fit in as you might assume. They sleep a lot (though not when you want them to, for a while). When my son was a baby, he usually only napped in our arms, but we learned pretty quickly that we could sit on the couch while holding his sleeping self and reading/playing games/whatever.

You'll figure it out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The only DQ I have yet to play... well, aside from DQ2.

Glad I finished AA6 in time for this, although there's also Cold Steel 2. What a September.

Oh god, I need to finish Ace Attorney before this arrives.

I have and played some of the original, but never got too far in it. Can't wait for this.

Robin64

Never played the original release, and only actually started my Dragon Quest journey with VIII because that was the very first one released here in the UK. (In fact they even dropped the VIII from the title!) Absolutely loved it, and then also loved IX on the DS.

But I keep hearing this is better than those? So yeah, I'm very excited to play this for the first time.

(Oh and it arrived today! So that's me wanting to leave work right now..)

It's so much better. I love the original but fragment searching was the fucking worst. Go off and take a break for a few days? Good fucking luck. You're searching both dungeons in the past and present. Very, very flawed design that holds the game back. I like the original VII but it has so many issues and flaws. The remake fixes all of them.

My copy should be shipping today. Never did get to play the original, and only discovered the series with IX, so this should be fun.

SuperSah

Banned
Never played the original release, and only actually started my Dragon Quest journey with VIII because that was the very first one released here in the UK. (In fact they even dropped the VIII from the title!) Absolutely loved it, and then also loved IX on the DS.

But I keep hearing this is better than those? So yeah, I'm very excited to play this for the first time.

(Oh and it arrived today! So that's me wanting to leave work right now..)

Boo! Friday for me since Amazon is always the 'good guy' and obeys release dates. :p I'm not even sure if I can play it right now since the start of University is nought but a week away.. :/

Hobbun

Really excited about this.

Although I’ve asked this question before with no answer, but the travelers tablets you can retrieve in Monster Meadows, can you just keep them for yourself and go through the dungeon associated with that tablet? Or are they only used for trading via Streetpass?

Streetpass is just not really a factor in the area I live and want to be able to experience the extra dungeons/get the more rare items without having to go through Streetpass.

magnetic

How linear is this game?

Visible armor + visible encounters + nice graphics already sounds really nice. Oh, and I also really like the battle theme, especially the beginning.

How linear is this game?

Visible armor + visible encounters + nice graphics already sounds really nice. Oh, and I also really like the battle theme, especially the beginning.

It can become non linear once the game sets into its paces. You can choose where to go next in your own order. This combined with the fact it's standard DQ with thief keys, magic keys;etc makes for a very open ended experience.

Lothar

Banned
Although I can't get this because I don't have a 3DS, it's nice to see everyone interested.

Back when the original came out in 2001, there were only 2-3 people I could find on forums to talk to about it. Of course everyone in real life looked at me like I was crazy for being interested in a PS1 game. Everyone was into FFX, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, and Grand Theft Auto 3 which all came out at the same time as DQ7. Needless to say not too many people cared about DQ7 originally in the US.

aett

Despite getting it for Christmas 2001 (and getting pretty far despite leaving soon after for basic training), I never got around to finishing the original DQVII until 2010. I was so hyped for DQIX that I ripped and transferred my PS1 copy to my PSP and played it mostly while walking/jogging on a treadmill. I even
defeated God multiple times to get all of the rewards.

I had a great time overall, and I can't wait to play a much improved version of the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, there were definitely a couple fragments that I just cheat and looked them up. I remember going nuts looking for one and it ended up being under a random corner of a building in a town that the only way to see it was to turn the camera a certain way.

It's so much better. I love the original but fragment searching was the fucking worst. Go off and take a break for a few days? Good fucking luck. You're searching both dungeons in the past and present. Very, very flawed design that holds the game back. I like the original VII but it has so many issues and flaws. The remake fixes all of them.

Yea, on top of that if you needed to warp to a specific island from the temple, the PS1 version had no labels for the warp pedestals, so it is was equally a pain trying to suss out which location to actually choose even if you knew what destination you wanted. So much wasted time guessing based on island shape which was crazy. I am assuming this is fixed too.

Aeana

...You could have just spoken with the NPC in the game who would tell you where to look for shards. I don't know how so many people missed her. She was in the crater in the present day version of Falrish, where the entrance to the
mech base
was in the past.

magnetic

It can become non linear once the game sets into its paces. You can choose where to go next in your own order. This combined with the fact it's standard DQ with thief keys, magic keys;etc makes for a very open ended experience.

Thanks, sounds great!

And man, I really love this over the shoulder battle view. A great mix between first person and third person in my opinion. Very unique look!

I'm also super happy that they kept the ability to rotate the view. It's such a minor detail but I absolutely loved that in the DS remakes - really adds to the immersion to be able to look around like that.

I usually prefer my games physical, but with long games like that I like being able to back up my saves to my PC in case it gets corrupted somehow. Same reason I always go digital for Monster Hunter.

Shikoba

Finally! Great OT. I can't wait to finally get this game.

I really hope they put the digital preorder theme up for sale for those of us going physical.

Graciaus

I can't wait this is the only one I never got around to playing. Mine says shipping today from Amazon so I don't expect it early.

I've been using this since 2001

FYI there is still at least one shard you can miss if you don't think to look for it. It won't show up on your radar at all. I'd recommend just using this guide, it's identical in the remake.

...You could have just spoken with the NPC in the game who would tell you where to look for shards. I don't know how so many people missed her. She was in the crater in the present day version of Falrish, where the entrance to the
mech base
was in the past.

I don't remember Aeana.

ys45

Probably going to get this next week since I preordered it on Amazon.ca and they usually ship on release day
But it's ok I need to finish I am Setsuna first and Deus Ex: Mankind divided first .

Arkeband

Banned
mech base
was in the past.

I never had a problem with finding tablets/shards for this exact reason, but I do remember returning to the game after taking breaks and having to go through a dozen pedestals to find the place I left off at. I had to memorize the shapes of the islands.

Looking forward to playing through this one again.

The original was the first game I ever put more than 100 hours into (Final Fantasy came close, but topped out at 90 for my original playthrough).

kromeo

Hope there isn't much to miss out on with streetpass, seeing as that's going to be a completely dead feature outside Japan

SuperSah

Banned
Hope there isn't much to miss out on with streetpass, seeing as that's going to be a completely dead feature outside Japan

Yeah, Streetpass where I am is a joke. I did read SpotPass does the same functionality for those who can't use it, so there is that.

I never had a problem with finding tablets/shards for this exact reason, but I do remember returning to the game after taking breaks and having to go through a dozen pedestals to find the place I left off at. I had to memorize the shapes of the islands.

Original DQ7 was really bad when you took breaks. It's such a behemoth that a break is going to happen, and when it does, it's absolutely soul crushing when you came back. This was one of the main things keeping DQ7 from reaching its potential as Best DQ Game (tm). I swear to God the remake is so much better with this. There's a feature where if you get lost or whatever it'll remind what you're supposed to do next and everything. Thank the heavens.

Hobbun

So there are no other ways to get the features Streetpass gives without using it? I know you are able to trade tablets (it’s more give, you still keep the tablet you choose) with others via Streetpass.

But the tablets you ‘trade’ are gained at Monster Meadows in a dungeon. Why couldn’t you just keep the tablet and go through the tablet random dungeon? And then if you want another tablet, go through the Monster Meadow dungeon again?

Granted, it would be quicker ‘trading’ with others as you don’t have to go through the dungeon each time for a new tablet, but at least you have an option to get the tablet. Unless it doesn’t work that way.

And I’m not sure if there are other Streetpass features, as well.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I am ready for Friday. Really looking forward to playing this beast on my 3DS.

I cannot wait to lose 100 hours engrossed in this.

Logical-

Neo Member
My order shipped from best buy a little while ago I don't think I'll get it by Friday. This and cold steel 2 will keep me plenty busy, I hope a guide eventually comes out because it seems like there could be a lot of missable items.

Top Bottom