• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I had to take a break. I really should finish the game up. I only have like 5-10 hours left.

Lol yeah I had to take a break too at some point, I couldn't handle how the degree of different hells for each town you visited with the sad music playing. Omg... it was soul and heart crushing, but in a good way, since I like it when games get me emotionally involved with it hehe.

SalvaPot

I've been playing this game almost exclusively the last few weeks and I am enjoying my time with it, I like that the stories are short and focused, it reaaally helps when taking breaks since you don't feel lost.

Battle system is still so-so to me, but its ok. I am intrigued now by the main story so I guess I should get to it, 20 hours in.

FStubbs

I love Dragon Quest 7 3DS, it's my 3rd or 4th favorite game of all time, but there's no way I'd recommend it for someone's first Dragon Quest game. 5 and 8 are better picks.

Scrawnton

It took me 12-15 hours from that point until the final dungeon, but I was messing around so you could cut significantly into that time. Without spoiling too much, there are no real sidequests from that point and on and the game becomes pretty linear (well almost, there's a couple of things you can do in a different order).

I'm tempted to do a second playthrough despite the length, just so I can use CFW and listen to the symphonic OST while I play, i.e. play the game the way it was meant to be played. Probably not until next year though as the game will be fresh in my memory for a while!

All the symphonic suites are amazing. I listen to them when I play World of Warcraft.

The only trilogies in the series are I-II-III and IV-V-VI, since they not only share a timeline but also lore. I've never heard VII-VIII-IX being grouped as another trilogy, since they do not relate in any way.

In fact, (Ending spoilers for DQ8, do not click if you haven't finished that game)
DQ8 takes place in the universe of the first three games, but in another world.
. Saying that 7, 8 and 9 are grouped into a trilogy might be off putting for newcomers. Anyway, the good things with DQ games is that people can play them in any order and pick the one that interest them the most, since every game is standalone and different on its own way.

As far as connections between VII and VIII go, there's a book in Dan D. Lion's house (Greenthumb Gardens) talking about a castle far away that was completely covered by vines, so I guess that is Trodain Castle lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im deciding between DQVII and DQV after I'm done with DQVIII. which do u think its better choice?

GLAMr

I got half way through DQVII before losing steam. It's a cute, enjoyable game, but so looooong! I would like to finish it though. I also have DQVIII on my 3DS waiting to go too. First world problems, huh?

jb1234

I've been playing the game off and on but I find that every time I do, I play for hours. Just something about the gameplay loop that I find addictive.

Danjin44

I think I decided to go with DQVII. This game is no longer is getting sold on stores and because nintendo published this it going to be really expensive online. So I'm gonna pick this before it goes crazy expensive like DQ6.

Pepboy

I think I decided to go with DQVII. This game is no longer is getting sold on stores and because nintendo published this it going to be really expensive online. So I'm gonna pick this before it goes crazy expensive like DQ6.

DQV for DS is also at risk. It was reasonably priced because they did one last reprint right toward the end of DS with leftover carts. Before that they were also very expensive. But maybe VII is the more immediate risk.

For VII, the story is split up into a series of smaller short stories. I loved it, and recommend it. But if your coming from VIII, it may be a somewhat different experience. V and VIII (and now XI) are probably the closest games to one another in terms of narrative structure, with an overarching narrative throughout.

Danjin44

DQV for DS is also at risk. It was reasonably priced because they did one last reprint right toward the end of DS with leftover carts. Before that they were also very expensive. But maybe VII is the more immediate risk.

For VII, the story is split up into a series of smaller short stories. I loved it, and recommend it. But if your coming from VIII, it may be a somewhat different experience. V and VIII (and now XI) are probably the closest games to one another in terms of narrative structure, with an overarching narrative throughout.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B001NJMMHG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502501960&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dragon+quest+v&dpPl=1&dpID=61vvWLXNX9L&ref=plSrch
For now DQV is reasonably priced but I think DQVIII going get really expensive. It already 60$ in amazon.ca.

also

Banned
Im deciding between DQVII and DQV after I'm done with DQVIII. which do u think its better choice?
If I started with this game, I would have given up on the series right there and there. It's too long, has mindlessly boring combat, terrible menus, and the story, with the exception of a FEW vignettes, is just so uninteresting and forgettable. I played DQ IX waaay back but I remember it better than VII which I finished not even a year ago. Please pick Dragon Quest V.

DQVII needs to be renamed to Drag-on Quest VII.

Danjin44

If I started with this game, I would have given up on the series right there and there. It's too long, has mindlessly boring combat, terrible menus, and the story, with the exception of a FEW vignettes, is just so uninteresting and forgettable. I played DQ IX waaay back but I remember it better than VII which I finished not even a year ago. Please pick Dragon Quest V.

DQVII needs to be renamed to Drag-on Quest VII.

Thank u for your suggestion, but I already decided go with DQVII. don't worry I will get DQV once Im done with DQVIII & VII. But Im really scared of DQVIII becoming really expensive like DQVI and personally don't mind long RPGs especially on 3DS. Im also going in to DQVII not expecting to be like DQVIII.

also

Banned
Thank u for your suggestion, but I already decided go with DQVII. don't worry I will get DQV once Im done with DQVIII & VII. But Im really scared of DQVIII becoming really expensive like DQVI and personally don't mind long RPGs especially on 3DS. Im also going in to DQVII not expecting to be like DQVIII.
The issue is not that it's long but rather that neither the story nor the combat are compelling enough for a game of such length. The only reason I kept going was because I fell in the sunken cost trap.

Just don't get burnt out and good luck.

scamander

Banned
But Im really scared of DQVIII becoming really expensive like DQVI and personally don't mind long RPGs especially on 3DS.

It's really strange how the Nintendo published one is the most expensive in the US. In Europe Nintendo published games have usually pretty big print runs and get reprinted as well. I can't think of a single 3DS or Wii U game of them that's out of print actually (at least in Germany). Dragon Quest VI is (like many DS games) sold out of course, but it is at average still the cheapest of the Zenithia trilogy. I guess we never got those reprints for IV and V, though.

The issue is not that it's long but rather that neither the story nor the combat are compelling enough for a game of such length. The only reason I kept going was because I fell in the sunken cost trap.

Just don't get burnt out and good luck.

I can understand that most don't recommend to start with VII, but it was my first and I honestly loved it. Most of the vignettes were interesting, some were really touching or tragic. I loved the main characters in the game and that they always had something interesting or funny to say. I wouldn't say they are particularly deep, but they felt pretty real due to it and I got emotionally attached to them. The overarching plot might be a little lacklustre, but it is not the focus of the game, so I didn't mind at all.
All in all the game is filled to the brim with charm and even though the game IS long, the vignettes are perfect to be played one at a time; like little bedtime stories!
I just started 8 and I have to say my first impression is not as good. I'm sure that's mostly, because it is so different and not what I expected. In the end I will probably end up loving it as well. What's really annoying in comparison though is the party chat feature, which is interrupting game play now. Hopefully I get used to it, but I definitely prefer how it was done in VII.

I am finally delving into this, and just finished up my third island.

I'm not too far into the game, but I will say this: the Talk feature where you can converse with your party about what just happened, where they are, or how they reacted to what an NPC told them needs to be a thing in every RPG ever. It adds soooooo much to everyone's characterization and can even point out clues and interesting tidbits you didn't pick up on.

also

Banned
I can understand that most don't recommend to start with VII, but it was my first and I honestly loved it. Most of the vignettes were interesting, some were really touching or tragic. I loved the main characters in the game and that they always had something interesting or funny to say. I wouldn't say they are particularly deep, but they felt pretty real due to it and I got emotionally attached to them. The overarching plot might be a little lacklustre, but it is not the focus of the game, so I didn't mind at all.
All in all the game is filled to the brim with charm and even though the game IS long, the vignettes are perfect to be played one at a time; like little bedtime stories!
I just started 8 and I have to say my first impression is not as good. I'm sure that's mostly, because it is so different and not what I expected. In the end I will probably end up loving it as well. What's really annoying in comparison though is the party chat feature, which is interrupting game play now. Hopefully I get used to it, but I definitely prefer how it was done in VII.
Most of the vignettes just didn't do it for me. And the game has one of my most hated tropes
a robot/AI "growing a heart". I hated that part so much. The robot is apparently special enough to "evolve" but not smart enough to realize its owner is dead. And the right thing to do is to let it be dumb forever as opposed to helping advance the human civilization. What?!
The party chat is another poorly implemented feature. I used it all the time but the problem is that there's no indication for when a character has something new to say so if you want to see all the text you will have to wade through tons of repeated dialogue. Is it too much to ask to have an on screen indicator when there's new text available, like Tales games do for skits? Apparently it is.

Hi All, Sorry for asking, been playing dq 7, stopped and come back again.

I have just done
greenthumb 30 years later
and I have read a boomerang is a good idea to get. Is there any way to get to the edged boomerang now?

RDreamer

Oh my god who designed this last boss? It's easily 10 times harder than literally any other boss in this game. I can't fucking do any damage and he has so much hit points its ridiculous. Seriously, how the hell do I damage him? Other bosses I was able to hit for almost a thousand sometimes buffed up and here I can't find any combination that gets me above 150. I can't hit him hard enough fast enough and just run out of MP near the end of the fight.

scamander

Banned
Oh my god who designed this last boss? It's easily 10 times harder than literally any other boss in this game. I can't fucking do any damage and he has so much hit points its ridiculous. Seriously, how the hell do I damage him? Other bosses I was able to hit for almost a thousand sometimes buffed up and here I can't find any combination that gets me above 150. I can't hit him hard enough fast enough and just run out of MP near the end of the fight.

Do you mean the final story boss?
I finished him on my first try with all party members between level 35 and 40. Buffing is pretty useless, though, because he will deactivate all spell effects regularly. I don't remember my exact strategy, but I think I used one character in each round for either multiheal or the one ability that will heal at least 50HP for everyone without using MP (sorry, don't know the English name). I also didn't use any MP for attacks except with my Champion who learned some pretty effective abilities. All other party members were trained to be effective healers and at least two or three could reanimate dead ones with full HP.
If you go out of MP try using MP regeneration spells/ abilities and equip each character with MP regenerating items just in case. If you feel some of your characters have not enough MP in general, maybe you should change their vocation before fighting the boss again.
Good luck! :)

RDreamer

Just beat it. Actually got it on my 2nd try. It was much easier the 2nd time. Still harder than anything else in the game by far, though. That's what caught me off guard. I'd been annihilating everything in my path for all 98 hours of this damned game.

I realized I had a lot of MP healing items that I hadn't used throughout the game so I stuffed everyone's inventory with those. Then I switched out Aishe, who was a Luminary and used the 50hp heal most turns last attempt. I put in Maribel instead. She's a sage and could do multi-heal plus buffs and such. So my party was the Hero with the Hero job, Ruff as a Monster Masher, Mervyn as Armamentalist and her. Mervyn also had multi-heal from the healslime vocation. I also knew this time that he was going to dodge like 90% of my knuckle sandwiches so I didn't bother with that strategy, and that helped. The biggest issue I had during the fights was predicting when my heal would actually happen. Sometimes Orgodemir would go first, sometimes with even two moves. Sometimes my party would go first, which meant Ruff and then maybe Maribel. Sometimes Orgodemir would be in the middle. I had to waste a lot of mp with multi-heals that didn't do shit because it might come after his attack. That was the most frustrating thing. He also had some pretty good moves here and there where he'd wipe out two characters really quickly and force me to climb back.

But in the end I won. That was also my first Dragon Quest that I beat. Overall I liked the game. I can definitely see why some people really dislike it and I can really see why people caution against it as a first one. There's a lot that really should be fixed in the game and a lot of complaints I had both with gameplay and story. Overall, though I think it kinda pulls things together and is a bit better than the sum of its parts.

While playing 7 I also bought IV, V, and VIII. Also got I on my phone do dick around with. I think next I'm going for VIII after a bit of a break for Splatoon 2 and Uncharted. Hoping to have a few of these beat by the time XI comes over here.

Alright, I've hit the BS that is Rashers and Stripes and RNG has screwed me twice on the Dazzle.

Does the sleep stick work on them? Is it worth grinding out 4k gold for it.

The story related tablets you get after completing the game are pretty underwhelming. Memories of an Old Friend wasn't half bad (and it helped tie up a couple of loose ends) but Youth of a Hero is basically nothing.
You walk around the Divine Shrine, get to talk to a younger Mervyn and an ancestor of Honore the magic carpet guy, and the latter gives you a prayer ring.
That's it apparently.

Divine Recollections at least had a dungeon but it's one of the dungeons you already went through in the game and with the same enemies as when you originally did the dungeon, so naturally there was no challenge for my much more powerful post-game party.

Youth of a Hero does have a free HP / MP restoration spot though, so at least now I don't have to zoom back and forth between the Haven and an inn inbetween tablets.

Edit: Just got the Buccanham Palace = Buckingham Palace pun. >_<

Ultratech

Finally got around to playing DQVII and have been for the last few weeks.
(Although at the rate I'm playing, I'm sure it's gonna take me a while to actually beat it.)

VII's probably the only mainline game I haven't played yet (aside from X and XI), so it's nice to finally get around to playing it.

Right now, I think I'm at the point right before you start getting Vocations...so hopefully that should open things up a bit once I beat this current scenario.
Although having all your Magic/Skills stolen really sucks. Managed to get some nice upgrades from Lucky Panel at least before I got stuck in Pilgrim's Perdition.

edit: Just beat El Circlo and loved it. I loved the way it wrapped up
Carraway and Lavendar's storyline.
really great stuff and probably my favorite island so far. Really nice how it interconnected as well.

Finally got around to playing DQVII and have been for the last few weeks.
(Although at the rate I'm playing, I'm sure it's gonna take me a while to actually beat it.)

VII's probably the only mainline game I haven't played yet (aside from X and XI), so it's nice to finally get around to playing it.

Right now, I think I'm at the point right before you start getting Vocations...so hopefully that should open things up a bit once I beat this current scenario.
Although having all your Magic/Skills stolen really sucks. Managed to get some nice upgrades from Lucky Panel at least before I got stuck in Pilgrim's Perdition.

Try not to level too much if you can. There's a cutoff for raising jobs per lvl depending on the enemies lvl. For instance in that zone the cutoff is lvl 20 I think. So once you hit 20, you can't lvl jobs until you reach the next zone with higher lvl enemies.

It can make the game a lot easier since you'll be able to grind out a few jobs to master. Grinding is super quick using tactics as well.

CiNozzo

Neo Member
Playing this game for the first time, but my third Dragon Quest (finished VIII on PS2 and stopped at the beginning~middle of V on DS).

I'm really surprised by the first dungeon storyline.
Maeve's story is so sad and the twist with the boss of monsters blew my mind. I hope the game continues like this.

But I have a question, when do we access the jobs? I suppose that it's after
I do everything in the island where my Hero lives ?

Playing this game for the first time, but my third Dragon Quest (finished VIII on PS2 and stopped at the beginning~middle of V on DS).

I'm really surprised by the first dungeon storyline.
Maeve's story is so sad and the twist with the boss of monsters blew my mind. I hope the game continues like this.

But I have a question, when do we access the jobs? I suppose that it's after
I do everything in the island where my Hero lives ?

My counter was 19 hours when I unlocked vocations but ymmv. I love the game but yeah, the beginning kinda sucks in that regard.

Ultratech

A little over 50 hours in now and I guess I'm approaching the endgame parts?
Beat the Demon King, Revived the Almighty and bad stuff happened...and the Present World Map actually has enemies now.

Gotta say, it's been an interesting ride so far.
Presently I got this as my Party:

Hero: Champion (eventually going to Hero)
Ruff: Gladiator (eventually also going to Hero)
Sir Mervyn: Golem (eventually going to Automation > Slaughtomation)
Aishe: Luminary (haven't decided where I'm going after mastering Luminary)
Maribel: Sage
(I'm guessing she comes back soon as I don't have Mervyn at the moment.)

Thankfully, I've gotten some pretty good equips through Lucky Panel, so that's helped quite a bit.
I like the Monster Vocations and how you can get permanent Skills from them, but it's really annoying how long they take to Master.

I prefer Scorch myself for no-MP AOE attacks as Thin Air doesn't hit everyone as hard, but at least Thin Air comes earlier in vocations.

Thin Air is pretty awesome though it obviously doesn't work on everything.
Generally, I'm using Thin Air and Boulder Toss to hit most things and let the Party deal with things from there (I do most Non-Boss Battles with the AI on.)
Scorch is really awesome too.

My counter was 19 hours when I unlocked vocations but ymmv. I love the game but yeah, the beginning kinda sucks in that regard.

Looking back at one of my prior saves, I think I hit that around 17-18 hours? (I made a save prior to doing that whole scenario.)
But yeah, it's really annoying how long you have to go without Vocations up to that point.

Top Bottom