• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Anyone know where I can purchase the physical version of this guide? I looked on Amazon and Ebay, and only the Bradygames version pops up.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
I don't know where you're from, but there are quite a few copies available on the German Ebay site. Problem is, it's only in German. And as far as I've seen, the only seller offering world wide shipping wants 46€ + shipping costs. Quite expensive :/

There are also copies on Ebay UK, but again, quite expensive (35£‎ +)

Scrawnton

Is there a skill guide for Red and Morrie? I'd like to see what they're capable of before I decide how to spec Jessica and Angelo.

Hobbun

I don't know where you're from, but there are quite a few copies available on the German Ebay site. Problem is, it's only in German. And as far as I've seen, the only seller offering world wide shipping wants 46€ + shipping costs. Quite expensive :/

Actually, I found it on Ebay's UK site. And yes, was quite costly, although it was new.

Thanks.

The text is kind of.. blurry.

Yeah, I prefer playing on my New3DS XL but switched to the normal New3DS because of that. I usually don't have a problem with the look of the games on a XL but it was to annoying for me here.

Does anyone know if they relocated a lot of the chests or changed their content or if they even changed the dungeon layouts? I would really appreciate if I could (for the most part) still use the awesome Piggyback guide book for the PS2 version.

I'm using the same guide and from the first 10 hours the (red) chests were at the same places with the same content. There are news chests (blue) though.

azyless

Just ordered this. The only DQ games I've ever played were 4 (wasn't a fan) and 5 which I loved, so hopefully I'll like it.

Surprised to have gotten my copy in the mail a day earlier than expected, but now I have something to fill my weekend until Atlanta tears Green Bay apart on Sunday.

They destroyed Alchemy as a money maker (every item depreciates in value when you sell it), so I hope they did something other than blue chests to compensate. I'm kind of peeved that there are a dozen of the things in the very first area, and then 1-2 in each subsequent area. Not sure how/when the contents respawn, either.
There are blue and purple chests. One type refills after an in-game day, the other after a real-world day. Dunno which is which though, haha.

Aeana

It has been mentioned that all the characters who had VA lines in the Japanese version now have VA lines in other regions as well, a feature that didn't quite make the cut on the PS2?

They destroyed Alchemy as a money maker (every item depreciates in value when you sell it), so I hope they did something other than blue chests to compensate. I'm kind of peeved that there are a dozen of the things in the very first area, and then 1-2 in each subsequent area. Not sure how/when the contents respawn, either.

I'm in the area after some happenings at an Abbey now. Definitely taking my sweet time and rediscovering this world. It is a great experience, partly because it has been so long since the PS2 version that I've forgotten everything.
Items depreciated in the PS2 version, too.
The idea is that you make a lot of things and sell all at once, then you avoid that problem.

Hobbun

Items depreciated in the PS2 version, too.
The idea is that you make a lot of things and sell all at once, then you avoid that problem.

Not sure I understand the reasoning on this. Are you saying that each item doesn’t depreciate in value if you sell them all at once? The price should be the same whether you sell them separately or all at once. Or that isn’t how it works?

StereoVsn

Not sure I understand the reasoning on this. Are you saying that each item doesn’t depreciate in value if you sell them all at once? The price should be the same whether you sell them separately or all at once. Or that isn’t how it works?

I think there is no depreciation in the first batch of the same items you sell. However, subsequent sales do depreciate. Personally I hate this features in games.

I don't know about the PS2 version but in the 3DS version selling them all at once or one at a time makes no difference.

The wait time in the original PS2 game made making money through alchemy unpractical anyway. I'd say it works out better in the 3DS version despite the drop in price because of the instant alchemy and being able to make multiple items at a time. You can make like 4000 gold in profit within minutes of unlocking the alchemy pot.

Besides, it's not every item that drops in price. There's one that doesn't, at least in the original release.

Hobbun

I think there is no depreciation in the first batch of the same items you sell. However, subsequent sales do depreciate. Personally I hate this features in games.

That's really bizarre, don't really understand the reasoning on that.

Can't say I'm a fan of it, either.

I don't know about the PS2 version but in the 3DS version selling them all at once or one at a time makes no difference.

The wait time in the original PS2 game made making money through alchemy unpractical anyway. I'd say it works out better in the 3DS version despite the drop in price because of the instant alchemy and being able to make multiple items at a time. You can make like 4000 gold in profit within minutes of unlocking the alchemy pot.

Besides, it's not every item that drops in price. There's one that doesn't, at least in the original release.

It's been so long since I've played the PS2 version of the game, I don't recall how the prices worked. Although I do remember the wait time, which I agree using it as a selling method was not viable.

My Amazon order is still "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate."

>:-

Mine too. Even worse is the actual Amazon product page shows the game as temporarily OOS.

I didn't preorder until last Sunday as I thought I already had an order in... but I was wrong.

What the fuck? My Amazon order has been saying it was arriving today up until like an hour ago...

I just checked and now it says arriving Wednesday

TEJ

Picked the game up an hour ago. Played a bit of it. Did they re-record the lines or is my memory playing tricks with me?

Dakhil

Picked the game up an hour ago. Played a bit of it. Did they re-record the lines or is my memory playing tricks with me?

Yeah, some of the lines are re-recorded. And there are scenes that are voiced in the Nintendo 3DS version that are not voiced in the PlayStation 2 version.

Mine too. Even worse is the actual Amazon product page shows the game as temporarily OOS.

I didn't preorder until last Sunday as I thought I already had an order in... but I was wrong.
I might pick it up after work today and cancel Amazon, I'll suck up the extra couple of bucks at this point, way too hyped up today.

How do the free DLC items/weapons work? Can you just get them as you please once the option is unlocked or do you have to be at certain stat levels for everything like SE's horribly managed DLC for DQ VII's promotional tablets?

Raw64life

Does everyone get experience if you do that like in FFX? If so, everyone's getting at least one hit in every battle I do.

Was wondering this myself. I have an unhealthy obssession with keeping all my party members as close to the same level as possible in any JRPG I play.

Top Bottom