• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Can anyone show a picture how ‘blurry’ this is? It’s a little concerning hearing this from multiple people. I have an XL.

At work right now, so I can't post pictures, but I do agree with some people saying the text is somewhat blurry. I'm using a New Nintendo 3DS and I can read it just fine, but it does seem a bit blurrier than I'd expect. I imagine it'd be much blurrier on the XL. It's why I don't like using the XL since every game looks worse on it compared to the smaller screen.

With that said, still a fantastic game. I'll post impressions later. I just got 3 party members and only a couple hours into the game. Lots of Quality of Life improvements for sure.

How do the free DLC items/weapons work? Can you just get them as you please once the option is unlocked or do you have to be at certain stat levels for everything like SE's horribly managed DLC for DQ VII's promotional tablets?
Get them as they're released, and from very very early in the game as well.

Hobbun

At work right now, so I can't post pictures, but I do agree with some people saying the text is somewhat blurry. I'm using a New Nintendo 3DS and I can read it just fine, but it does seem a bit blurrier than I'd expect. I imagine it'd be much blurrier on the XL. It's why I don't like using the XL since every game looks worse on it compared to the smaller screen.

With that said, still a fantastic game. I'll post impressions later. I just got 3 party members and only a couple hours into the game. Lots of Quality of Life improvements for sure.

Wow, even blurry on a normal 3DS? I had thought the problem was only associated with the XL.

I have a 3DS, as well. Just don't like hearing there is no way to play without it being blurry. Being a PS2 game or not, it should have been remastered (sharp) for the normal 3DS, at least.

Edit: The issue is my account has been transferred on my 3DS XL, so if I need to get any DLC, I would have to use that, anyways. Irritating they couldn't make it sharp for the system. But I'd like to see an example of it first.

Wow, even blurry on a normal 3DS? I had thought the problem was only associated with the XL.

I have a 3DS, as well. Just don't like hearing there is no way to play without it being blurry. Being a PS2 game or not, it should have been remastered (sharp) for the normal 3DS, at least.

Edit: The issue is my account has been transferred on my 3DS XL, so if I need to get any DLC, I would have to use that, anyways. Irritating they couldn't make it sharp for the system. But I'd like to see an example of it first.

The poster above me has a nice suggestion. Check out the Miiverse post and you'll see:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0fsW9mPSQ

There's an example. It's not completely sharp. Definitely readable and no problem on the New Nintendo 3DS, however, I would've liked it to be even sharper.

It's not as bad, but it reminds me of playing a DS game on a 3DS that fills the screen instead of playing 1:1 screen ratio where the text would be sharper on the 3DS.

You'll be fine, honestly. I just wanted to give my two cents. Not as sharp as I'd like but definitely readable and a phenomenal game.

Hobbun

The poster above me has a nice suggestion. Check out the Miiverse post and you'll see:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0fsW9mPSQ

There's an example. It's not completely sharp. Definitely readable and no problem on the New Nintendo 3DS, however, I would've liked it to be even sharper.

It's not as bad, but it reminds me of playing a DS game on a 3DS that fills the screen instead of playing 1:1 screen ratio where the text would be sharper on the 3DS.

You'll be fine, honestly. I just wanted to give my two cents. Not as sharp as I'd like but definitely readable and a phenomenal game.

Thanks for the link.

Yes, pretty much my thoughts, as well. It reminds me a game trying to fill a larger screen. Much like playing PS2 games on my PS3. But this should have been remastered to fit the 3DS properly. Oh well.

It's not a huge issue, just a bit irritating. As you said though, DQ VIII is a great game. Loved it the first time through on my PS2, I'm sure I'll love it just as much this time. It's been so long since I've played it, I really don't remember much about it so it's almost like playing it the first time.

Dsyndrome

Launch trailer is up (features spoilers for new characters)

And it's probably my favorite Dragon Quest trailer ever hahaha! So many "Cor Blimey!"s

Weren't you kept in the dark about the horse and Trode in the original? I felt like the party just kept giving him the "Sure, dude" attitude up until near the end (if not the end) of the game. That trailer spells it out from the get-go.

Edit: Forgot all about Charmles, he always made me laugh for some reason.

Aeana

Weren't you kept in the dark about the horse and Trode in the original? I felt like the party just kept giving him the "Sure, dude" attitude up until near the end (if not the end) of the game. That trailer spells it out from the get-go.

Edit: Forgot all about Charmles, he always made me laugh for some reason.
Nope. Aside from all of the dialog where he literally says these things, there are several scenes before even the halfway point that show it. Including the scene at the lake near Argonia. And the flashbacks at Trodain.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wasn't expecting my Amazon copy to show up until Monday!

Impressions of the first five minutes are positive. Looks better than I expected to, battles are miles more smooth than DQ7 (thank god for no menu lag). The dialogue text seems stretched, though, which is a shame (all the other text in the game is crystal clear.)

Dsyndrome

Nope. Aside from all of the dialog where he literally says these things, there are several scenes before even the halfway point that show it. Including the scene at the lake near Argonia. And the flashbacks at Trodain.

Thanks, been a long while since I played.

r3n4ud

Impressions of the first five minutes are positive. Looks better than I expected to, battles are miles more smooth than DQ7 (thank god for no menu lag). The dialogue text seems stretched, though, which is a shame (all the other text in the game is crystal clear.)
boothismanbooooooooo.gif

Robin64

Yeah, the dialogue box text is really blurry, when other text such as name entry was super sharp. Guess I'll get used to it.

Arkeband

Banned

This looks like you spent 3 hours framing and setting up the perfect shot.

The dialogue text seems stretched, though, which is a shame (all the other text in the game is crystal clear.)

The lower box of the inventory screen is blurry as hell too. I don't understand what's going on there... the font seems different for no reason whatsoever.

CrocoDuck

Ugh, my Amazon copy doesn't come until Wednesday. This is the first time I bought a game on release from them, is this normal of them?

aidan

This looks like you spent 3 hours framing and setting up the perfect shot.

2.5 hours, but who's counting?

The lower box of the inventory screen is blurry as hell too. I don't understand what's going on there... the font seems different for no reason whatsoever.

It's like they decided at the last minute that some of the text boxes should be bigger on the screen, and just stretched the contents to fix, instead of rendering the text/textbox at the correct pixel resolution. Super weird, and avoidable.

Ugh, my Amazon copy doesn't come until Wednesday. This is the first time I bought a game on release from them, is this normal of them?
Not normal, but it happens sometimes. They hadn't shipped mine until last night but they overnight airmailed it so it got here today. I find that the earlier you preorder, the more likely you are to get your copy on release day. Sometimes when I preorder a game a week before it comes out it'll get here late.

No. I get 95% of my Amazon preorders when the mail is delivered on release day. The other 5% is day-late deliveries and the one time I got a game a day early.

Anoxida

Come on bro this ain't no photography exhibition

Enjoy the game though, it's great. I'm about to dive in myself now.

I will say this. I'm glad they went woth the normal menus instead of that stupid obstrusive menu they had for us ps2.

So far, it's dq8. Still not sure how I feel about no random encounters. Monsters aren't aggressive enough.

daxy

Picked VIII up earlier today, but I couldn't get around how unpleasant it was to read the text and how muddy the textures looked, so I ended up returning it. The text boxes and menus are also abysmal and take up way too much screen space. Text overlaps like 40% of the screen for some reason. I guess I must be picky when it comes to all these things, so YMMV. Such a downer after how great DQ VII looked (for a 3DS game anyway).

Anoxida

I will say this. I'm glad they went woth the normal menus instead of that stupid obstrusive menu they had for us ps2.

So far, it's dq8. Still not sure how I feel about no random encounters. Monsters aren't aggressive enough.

Coming off playing the overly aggressive mobs from DQ7 this is music to my ears :p

aidan

Come on bro this ain't no photography exhibition

Enjoy the game though, it's great. I'm about to dive in myself now.

Yeah. I played it last when it was first released on PS2 (and have since played most of the mainline DQ games) and can't wait to jump back in. It's the game that really ignited my love for the series (though it was surpassed as my favourite by DQ5.)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Such a downer after how great DQ VII looked (for a 3DS game anyway).

Okay, if you're really concerned about text appearance, that's fine, but this line is killing me. In every other way visually DQVIII 3DS is more complex and quite arguably better looking than a remake from early in the 3DS' life.

I'm not about to lose my mind over text taking up a significant portion of the screen, given we're talking about a 240p screen. It's not designed for just the XL either.

Kadin

Coming off playing the overly aggressive mobs from DQ7 this is music to my ears :p
Have to completely agree with this. One of the things that turned me off about DQ7 was that although it appeared I could pick and choose my fights as I saw fit, it seemed more often than not that they'd happen even if I chose to try and avoid them. So far with DQ8, I seem to have no problem running past if I want to.

Anoxida

Okay, if you're really concerned about text appearance, that's fine, but in every other way visually DQVIII 3DS is more complex, strenuous, and quite arguably better looking than a remake from early in the 3DS' life.

I'm not about to lose my mind over text taking up a significant portion of the screen, given we're talking about a 240p screen. It's not designed for just the XL either.

Uhh.. wait am I the only one who think the texts looks better on DQVIII?

Also god damn, I'm actually floored how great this game looks. I mean yeah it's gimped compared to the PS2 version but man this looks absolutely amazing for a 3ds game. It's also the first 3DS game I know containing a considerable amount of VA. Most 3ds games I've played either has none or a few grunts here and there. Anyone know another example of a voiced 3ds game?

Have to completely agree with this. One of the things that turned me off about DQ7 was that although it appeared I could pick and choose my fights as I saw fit, it seemed more often than not that they'd happen even if I chose to try and avoid them. So far with DQ8, I seem to have no problem running past if I want to.

Pretty sure you fight a lot more in the 3ds version compared to the original. At least that's what I think Aena said. I got burned out on all the fighting.. especially when all you do is have your teammates spam thin air from halfway thru the game till it ended.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Uhh.. wait am I the only one who think the texts looks better on DQVIII?

Also god damn, I'm actually floored how great this game looks. I mean yeah it's gimped compared to the PS2 version but man this looks absolutely amazing for a 3ds game. It's also the first 3DS game I know containing a considerable amount of VA. Most 3ds games I've played either has none or a few grunts here and there. Anyone know another example of a voiced 3ds game?

Ok, I haven't even played the game yet, but just judging from the videos, Xenoblade 3DS looks better than this and is fully voice acted as well.

Granted, that game is New 3DS exclusive. So maybe its unfair to compare.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Picked VIII up earlier today, but I couldn't get around how unpleasant it was to read the text and how muddy the textures looked, so I ended up returning it. The text boxes and menus are also abysmal and take up way too much screen space. Text overlaps like 40% of the screen for some reason. I guess I must be picky when it comes to all these things, so YMMV. Such a downer after how great DQ VII looked (for a 3DS game anyway).

... What store do you buy games from where you can buy a game new, and then return it? Are you getting trade credit, or actually returning it for a full refund?

I need a store that will let me try a game for 24 hours!

Yeah, the dialogue box text is really blurry, when other text such as name entry was super sharp. Guess I'll get used to it.
Yeah dialogue box is really blurry. I wish there was a way to make it smaller at least because it feels stretched. I really prefer the way it was done in DQVII.

Anoxida

Ok, I haven't even played the game yet, but just judging from the videos, Xenoblade 3DS looks better than this and is fully voice acted as well.

Granted, that game is New 3DS exclusive. So maybe its unfair to compare.

Ah forgot about that one. You're absolutely right.

About the weapon skill changes. Does that mean the new weapons introduced or are there tweaks to the original skills as well? Is there a list?

daxy

Okay, if you're really concerned about text appearance, that's fine, but this line is killing me. In every other way visually DQVIII 3DS is more complex and quite arguably better looking than a remake from early in the 3DS' life.

In terms of scale and geometry VIII sure looks better in some ways, but the texturework was better in VII. The kind of texture filtering that's only kicking in a couple of steps around the player character was not as egregious in VII.
VII may not have been as technically impressive maybe, I won't argue you on that, but I find it to be a better looking game nonetheless. Anyway, I don't want to take away from your enjoyment of the game with what I said. It's a good looking game and it's amazing that it was able to be ported to the 3DS.

... What store do you buy games from where you can buy a game new, and then return it? Are you getting trade credit, or actually returning it for a full refund?

I need a store that will let me try a game for 24 hours!

I got a full refund. Mediamarkt. They apparently usually don't do returns, but they were willing to to make an exception. I dunno. I came back within like 2 hours of purchasing.

Ah forgot about that one. You're absolutely right.

About the weapon skill changes. Does that mean the new weapons introduced or are there tweaks to the original skills as well? Is there a list?
Tales of the Abyss is another one that I can think of... which is also a port of a PS2 game.

Anoxida

Nvm, too much off topic.

Gonna check back in a bit later. It's time to kill some slimes :)

There was a new speed option right? Where do you toggle it? Should I just keep playing?

Meffer

Nvm, too much off topic.

Gonna check back in a bit later. It's time to kill some slimes :)

There was a new speed option right? Where do you toggle it? Should I just keep playing?

You can toggle it in battle. It's under speed. It's great for common battles.

Jesus that's one sweet ass photo.

Adamator

So does this game have any 3-D at all? The box says "some areas playable in 3-D" but I have heard it has no 3-D at all so which is it?

Apenheul

I only have 25 hours into DQ6, still have DQ7 in the seal, and already I'm thinking about buying and playing DQ8 first.

Emitan

The photos are a lot of fun.

3ez5Pi1.jpg

Cruixant

Looks like people were right and they completely removed images from the menu, unlike 7 where it was only on shops. Does anyone have a guess about why they would change this and if it would be possible to restore them using CFW? I can live with it since even DQ5 on PS2 did not have them, but it's pretty disappointing.

itschris

So does this game have any 3-D at all? The box says "some areas playable in 3-D" but I have heard it has no 3-D at all so which is it?

The bestiary and the equipment screen are 3D enabled, but that's it, I think.

Looks like people were right and they completely removed images from the menu, unlike 7 where it was only on shops. Does anyone have a guess about why they would change this and if it would be possible to restore them using CFW? I can live with it since even DQ5 on PS2 did not have them, but it's pretty disappointing.

Are you referring to the pictures of items and equipment? They're still present in the Equipment screen, the Collected Items List under Battle Records, and when you look at your items during battle.

Cruixant

Are you referring to the pictures of items and equipment? They're still present in the Equipment screen, the Collected Items List under Battle Records, and when you look at your items during battle.

Ohh I didn't know about that, this changes everything then! Thank you!

Top Bottom