• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest appreciation thread

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I approve of this thread!

4v4c291.jpg

Splatt

JayDubya said:
While we're at it, it would be nice to be able to play through DQVI since there's not even a fan translation for the japanese .ROM.

I must be playing the imaginary fan translation of the japanese .ROM then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After reading this thread I decided to replay every installment! Thanks OP!

NolbertoS

CAn't believe I missed this thread awhile back...Love the short synopsis of each DQ game, brings a tear to my eye :p Good job, that makes me want to replay all the DQ games all over again.

Aeana

Zefah said:
After reading this thread I decided to replay every installment! Thanks OP!

How did that go?

NolbertoS said:
Good job, that makes me want to replay all the DQ games all over again.

Go for it!

Hopefully, with the remakes coming out (and very possibly coming to North America), people will get to experience more of the series. I always feel like the series is woefully under-appreciated, here. :(

ethelred

Aeana said:
Hopefully, with the remakes coming out (and very possibly coming to North America), people will get to experience more of the series. I always feel like the series is woefully under-appreciated, here. :(

It is, sadly.

But I think DQVIII helped introduce it to a lot of new people, and I'm really hopeful that the remakes will do the same, allow more people to get to experience and enjoy Dragon Quest.

traveler

Not Wario
ethelred said:
It is, sadly.

But I think DQVIII helped introduce it to a lot of new people, and I'm really hopeful that the remakes will do the same, allow more people to get to experience and enjoy Dragon Quest.

Yeah, I joined with VIII. (Which I still haven't finished. :lol Just got the Godbird Soulstone.) It's weird that I like it so much because I usually hate old-school JRPGs. While I used to like them, the genre has just grown to stagnant for me. Yet, DQVIII somehow managed to appeal to me. When are we getting the remakes? (Or, at least, when is Japan getting the remakes?)

Aeana

traveler said:
Yeah, I joined with VIII. (Which I still haven't finished. :lol Just got the Godbird Soulstone.) It's weird that I like it so much because I usually hate old-school JRPGs. While I used to like them, the genre has just grown to stagnant for me. Yet, DQVIII somehow managed to appeal to me. When are we getting the remakes? (Or, at least, when is Japan getting the remakes?)

Japan is getting DQ4 DS sometime this year, but that's all we know. :( I'm hoping for more information from TGS, but I won't hold my breath.

Still waiting for that DQ9 trailer from the SE Party!

traveler

Not Wario
Aeana said:
Japan is getting DQ4 DS sometime this year, but that's all we know. :( I'm hoping for more information from TGS, but I won't hold my breath.

Still waiting for that DQ9 trailer from the SE Party!

I didn't know they showed a new trailer! Oh well, we'll probably have to wait till TGS anyway.

I still remember that announcement thread. So epic. :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133134&page=21&highlight=dragon+quest+cash

Pages 21 onward are just pure gold.

NolbertoS

traveler said:
I didn't know they showed a new trailer! Oh well, we'll probably have to wait till TGS anyway.

I still remember that announcement thread. So epic. :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133134&page=21&highlight=dragon+quest+cash

Pages 21 onward are just pure gold.

I remember posting on that thread, with the remakes and DQIX for the DS, Nintendo has literally won the next-gen war.

Edit: So I take it the few DQ fanboys in GAF were part of the Enix Boards before they bellied up in 2002?? I was a member since it opened up, but posted on occasion there, wish there was a big DQ Forum like that, and yes I know woodus and slimeknights are good boards, but the Enix Boards were better and bigger, cuz DQVII had come out around that time.

Jiggy

Chairman Yang said:
The DQ games illustrate the importance of making simple, well-balanced, fully fleshed-out battle systems, something that the vast majority of RPGs fail at doing. In other words, RPG developers should stop trying to add gimmicky, illogical, and unbalanced "systems" and focus on getting the fundamentals right first.
These are pretty much my thoughts. I'd also add in the value of having balanced enemy stats, abilities, and AI, as well as balanced characters. DQ is one of those rare series where non-boss battles grow to be a challenge. Most RPGs lean toward cakewalk battles or toward... ...well, battles that are still cakewalks, provided you take the 3 or 4 good characters instead of everyone else, who sucks immeasurably.

Johnas

NolbertoS said:
Edit: So I take it the few DQ fanboys in GAF were part of the Enix Boards before they bellied up in 2002?? I was a member since it opened up, but posted on occasion there, wish there was a big DQ Forum like that, and yes I know woodus and slimeknights are good boards, but the Enix Boards were better and bigger, cuz DQVII had come out around that time.

I was there, but I didn't post a whole lot. I really enjoyed that board, it was a fairly small group of people that played nice and got along well, apart from one meltdown in particular I remember. ;) Anticipating DWVII and then DWIV remake, good times. So awesome that we're getting these DS games now.

I played 7 and 8. I thought 7 was "ok", because the battle were nothing to brag about and the exploration is so bad. I had no idea where to go next most of the time.

8 was great, because the battles were fun and challenging, music was nice, and it was very long. Downside? Not really a good story.

I appreciate the games though and can understand why there is a big fan base for it(mainly in Japan).

NolbertoS

Labombadog said:
I played 7 and 8. I thought 7 was "ok", because the battle were nothing to brag about and the exploration is so bad. I had no idea where to go next most of the time.

8 was great, because the battles were fun and challenging, music was nice, and it was very long. Downside? Not really a good story.

I appreciate the games though and can understand why there is a big fan base for it(mainly in Japan).

You do know that in DQ VII, there was a "certain" person that gave you clues on where to go next, if you weren't sure which island to go and the clues "she" left you where always on target. Not many people knew this though, but it was kinda like a gamefaq person answering some questions on where to go next :p

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I have played DQ 1-2-3 on GBC, 4 on NES, 5-6 on computer by emulator (because they are translated (I think it's illegal... but will play them again on DS, that should cover it)) and half of DQ 7.

For me, DQ 1-3 where the worst of the series, because the story was like "OK you are the Hero/descendant of the Hero, and we have this bad guy and we want you to kill him"; and in every town instead of helping you to kill the bad dude, you had to do chores and help everyone, because if you didn´t, you couldn´t save the world...

Then there is DQ 7 in which I got bored after finishing disc 1, the shards system got old and the game wasn´t that good.

DQ 4 and 5 are my favorites, they had a great story, where very fun and there where many surprises.
In DQ4 I found the chapter system very nice because you had time to learn the background story and the mechanics of every character (There where some characters in DQ5 and 6 that I never used).
The story of DQ5 was great in my opinion, great plot twists and story overall.

Las is DQ6 which started really good, but tossing the job system at the end of the game made it very difficult to earn good jobs, and the end filled rushed and the music wasn't very good.

Never played DQ8 (waiting for a DS port :D )

So it is DQ5<DQ4<DQ6<DQ7<DQ3<DQ2<DQ1 for me.

I hope S-E re-implements the action fighting system in 9, because I'm getting sick of random encounters. DQ games always change in a way or another, and I think action battles are a great change. I trust fully in Yuji Horii and Level 5.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there is so much wrong with your post that I dont even know where to begin :/

Jiggy

manueldelalas said:
I hope S-E re-implements the action fighting system in 9, because I'm getting sick of random encounters.
One can get rid of random encounters while keeping turn-based gameplay. If you want an action RPG, there are many more series for gamers like you than there are for gamers who want turn-based RPGs in this day and age.

gblues

Banned
manueldelalas said:
I have played DQ 1-2-3 on GBC, 4 on NES, 5-6 on computer by emulator (because they are translated (I think it's illegal... but will play them again on DS, that should cover it)) and half of DQ 7.

For me, DQ 1-3 where the worst of the series, because the story was like "OK you are the Hero/descendant of the Hero, and we have this bad guy and we want you to kill him"; and in every town instead of helping you to kill the bad dude, you had to do chores and help everyone, because if you didn´t, you couldn´t save the world...

Then there is DQ 7 in which I got bored after finishing disc 1, the shards system got old and the game wasn´t that good.

DQ 4 and 5 are my favorites, they had a great story, where very fun and there where many surprises.
In DQ4 I found the chapter system very nice because you had time to learn the background story and the mechanics of every character (There where some characters in DQ5 and 6 that I never used).
The story of DQ5 was great in my opinion, great plot twists and story overall.

Las is DQ6 which started really good, but tossing the job system at the end of the game made it very difficult to earn good jobs, and the end filled rushed and the music wasn't very good.

Never played DQ8 (waiting for a DS port :D )

So it is DQ5<DQ4<DQ6<DQ7<DQ3<DQ2<DQ1 for me.

I hope S-E re-implements the action fighting system in 9, because I'm getting sick of random encounters. DQ games always change in a way or another, and I think action battles are a great change. I trust fully in Yuji Horii and Level 5.

'<'. You keep using that symbol. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ElFly

Dragon Quest 6 is my favourite, and probably my favourite RPG of the SNES era, even above CT and FF6.

And it all comes down to one single feature. The Overworld(s).

They are so amazing. Mirror worlds, but without one being a copy of the other, like in aLttP, Metroid Prime 2 or Chrono Cross.

And, whenever you get a new transportation method (and there are a few, some exclusives to each world), you can explore a few new places.

It is so well designed, I just love it.

edit: of course, the rest of the game is pretty good, too, but the map design takes the cake.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd like to add my appreciation for Dragon Quest III into the thread!

My first Dragon Quest was VIII, because Square bundled it with the Final Fantasy XII demo. I had no intention of really getting into DQ, but I ended up playing it and I really, really enjoyed it. Recently I started playing Dragon Quest III on the Game Boy Color because I've heard from many people that it's one of the best in the series. Though I haven't played them all, I can say without a doubt that Dragon Quest III is one of the most amazing RPGs I've played...I'm not yet finished with it, but I'm pretty far in and I'm absolutely in love with the game.

First, the story. It's not an overly complex story, but it's a really charming and relaxing story, I think. You can make of it what you want by piecing together more and more details by talking to townspeople and the various kings. You can learn a lot about the legacy you look to live up to as the son of Ortega, and also a lot about the evil that looks to take over the world. My favorite thing about the story though is not the grand narrative, which is of course epic and adventurous, but the little experiences you find along the way, like the two lovers that killed themselves because they couldn't be together, or Gupta and Tania who get caught by Kandar and his goons and you have to fight them off. There's so much in here to be appreciated! It's really developed for its time and it is still incredibly entertaining.

The gameplay is so enjoyable because it's so fast. The animations and battles play out really quickly, so there isn't much downtime. There's the job system, which I am just beginning to mess around with since I've just hit level 20 now on my warrior. The animations in battle are also stunningly good for the little Game Boy Color...all the enemies have distinct personalities and have their own distinct sensibility about them. Not every enemy feels so evil and menacing like in other RPGs...but some are more lighthearted and goofy, and it's really enjoyable.

Then there's the music. Sugiyama's work is enjoyable and defining despite the limited audio capabilities of the GBC. The overture is rousing even through the small speaker, and the various themes that I remember from DQ8 all sound really crisp and pleasing here. I think the symphonic recording is awesome too! Heavenly Flight is really a great song. Sugiyama is certainly one of the best.

So yeah, I appreciate DQIII and hope you do too!

Aeana

I'm really glad you're enjoying the game, Kev! It's really wonderful to see people get to experience these games for the first time. I wish I could.

Y2Kev said:
My favorite thing about the story though is not the grand narrative, which is of course epic and adventurous, but the little experiences you find along the way, like the two lovers that killed themselves because they couldn't be together, or Gupta and Tania who get caught by Kandar and his goons and you have to fight them off. There's so much in here to be appreciated! It's really developed for its time and it is still incredibly entertaining.

This is actually something that's common to all of the DQ games, and I'm surprised that it's not copied more often. The focus is on the journey, not the destination, and I personally prefer it over the kind of storytelling you'll find in Xenosaga or even Final Fantasy. All of the little stories in each of the towns as you progress are so charming and interesting, and when you're finally ready to move on, you really feel like you've accomplished something.

Hopefully, you'll give some of the other games a try after this one!

Johnas

Kev, just a reminder that DQIV comes out for the DS in Japan this month, and in NA sometime next year (most probably). It's right up there with III in overall quality, some people prefer it. Maybe you were already planning on getting it, but I thought I'd throw that in there just in case.

Then there are the V and VI remakes later on.

DQ8 is my first DQ game also (got it for $9.99) and I've enjoyed it a lot also. I think I got 40 hours into it before I put it down for awhile but I plan on getting back into it, possibly this weekend now that I've seen this thread. I just wish the game wasn't so freaking slow. It feels like everything you do short of walking around has an annoying load time.

Aeana

Systems_id said:
DQ8 is my first DQ game also (got it for $9.99) and I've enjoyed it a lot also. I think I got 40 hours into it before I put it down for awhile but I plan on getting back into it, possibly this weekend now that I've seen this thread. I just wish the game wasn't so freaking slow. It feels like everything you do short of walking around has an annoying load time.

Yeah, they really messed up with that in the English version of the game. All of the new UI and music stuff (and voice acting) adds a significant amount of loading time that's not even present in the Japanese game. A pity, to be sure.

Aeana

Johnas said:
On the topic of appreciating Dragon Quest, I was browsing YouTube a while ago and came across these piano medleys, which I thought were really well done. They're not horribly ancient, so I figured some DQ fans here might not have heard these.

Dragon Quest (my favorite of his vids)

Dragon Quest II (best file select music ever)

Dragon Quest IV, part one

Dragon Quest IV, part two

Dragon Quest VIII, part one

Dragon Quest VIII, part two

Weird, I was just enjoying those last night. They're really quite impressive - especially the DQ4 one!

Johnas

Aeana said:
Weird, I was just enjoying those last night. They're really quite impressive - especially the DQ4 one!

Cool. I noticed he didn't have one for III, but he just put the one for DQI up in August, so maybe he's working on that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dragon Quest I was my very first RPG, and while I took a hiatus from the series after the second game, I came back for DQVII and then VIII. With the remakes, it's a good chance for me to go back and play all the ones I missed.

I'm almost finished DQIV, and I'm having a blast with it. Can't wait for V and VI on DS. :D

I never understood the whole DQ vs. FF thing. Both are excellent series with their own unique charm and idiosyncracies. Both are worth digging into, and both are worth loving.

Johnas

Aeana said:
Well, there is this one which is really nice.

Listening to it now, good stuff. The credit music is awesome.

thetrin said:
Dragon Quest I was my very first RPG, and while I took a hiatus from the series after the second game, I came back for DQVII and then VIII. With the remakes, it's a good chance for me to go back and play all the ones I missed.

Find a way to play III, you'll love it if you like IV. It's different, but of similarly high quality.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Yeah, they really messed up with that in the English version of the game. All of the new UI and music stuff (and voice acting) adds a significant amount of loading time that's not even present in the Japanese game. A pity, to be sure.

Maybe I don't care about loading or something, but all of that is totally worth it. the VA and the orchestral OST add SO MUCH to the game.

Aeana

thetrin said:
Maybe I don't care about loading or something, but all of that is totally worth it. the VA and the orchestral OST add SO MUCH to the game.

The voice acting does, absolutely. I prefer the original music, though. The orchestral stuff is poorly recorded. I didn't like it when I bought the CD; I didn't want it in my game, either.

Aeana

Johnas said:
Does anybody know when we can reasonably expect the DQV homepage to be up?

No. :( I imagine it will open when a magazine prints the first screenshots. I'm hoping for next week's Jump.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I've only beaten the original and VIII. I played II and VI but couldn't get into them. I really want to try III along with the DS remakes, which hopefully come here soon.

Currently playing through Dragon Quest VIII (my first mainline DQ game), and it is a near religious experience. I hate RPGs, but the crisp simplicity and charm of this game has really captured my attention. I look forward to playing the DS remakes if the older games are as good as this one is.

Aeana

Bonerville High said:
Currently playing through Dragon Quest VIII (my first mainline DQ game), and it is a near religious experience. I hate RPGs, but the crisp simplicity and charm of this game has really captured my attention. I look forward to playing the DS remakes if the older games are as good as this one is.

That's great to hear. :)
I enjoy hearing about people's first experience with the DQ series.

Top Bottom