• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Updated the OT moving the demo download links higher up right under the product info section and added in the full download version file sizes for the PS4 / PSV.

You do learn a charge attack for your weapons, but for the most part when you start off the game basically you are told that you are not the hero lol. So the game is really focused more on building rather than combat itself outside of things like boss fights or collecting resources from particular enemies.

Awww...bummer. Thanks

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Doesn't the PS4 let you re-map the controls at the OS level? The only annoying thing would be the button prompts not matching up.

Nevertheless, I agree that the JP controls sound much better. Wish we had the option to switch between the two.

Yeah when you remap the controls yourself it does not fix in game prompts. So you will be seeing like X on the screen when you are actually pressing O.

So in some ways remapping the controls through the system menu does not really help things all that much. As your brain will be fighting with your hands. lol

Awww...bummer. Thanks

This game also there is no real character levels to be raised through exp earning with defeating monsters. The only levels that the game has is your town level that is increased with more specific conditions are met you are awarded points for that which levels up your town level. The town level stuff is basically for progressing with the scenario as it usually pops up as a required quest in order to progress.

Parakeetman

Can the Life Seeds be used to craft anything? I've been holding on to them just in case.

I dont think so. Currently am checking the JP wikis just in case. But in my playthough I just went and used them any time I found one.

Looking through multiple JP wikis they do not mention saving them for recipes so you might be ok.

Since this game has not actual leveling system for your character the seeds is your only want to raise your HP. Guess you can think of it like the heart containers in zelda lol. Besides how it functions the same as the DQ series.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I didn't have much time to play this last night after I got it, but essentially got up to the point that was the end of the demo. Really loving this game. I thought that having to re-play the demo part of Chapter 1 was going to suck, but I still had a blast with it.

Parakeetman

I didn't have much time to play this last night after I got it, but essentially got up to the point that was the end of the demo. Really loving this game. I thought that having to re-play the demo part of Chapter 1 was going to suck, but I still had a blast with it.

Makes it so much easier a 2nd time through since the demo gave you the groundwork you needed with the games mechanics. Felt the same way when I had to move over from the demo to the main game lol

Parakeetman

Saphirax

Wait, there is a time limit? D:

I dont even remember if there was a time limit.

Though considering I built something stupid like this in the first world am sure even if there is one you folks should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrN5yJRRSjY&feature=youtu.be
*JP version

There are at least four missable trophies in the game, these are the four challenges trophies. Only one challenge from each area/chapter is missable, and that is the speedrun challenge. You basically have to beat the chapter before the in-game time reaches a certain number of days.

The challenges are as follows:

Chapter 1: Clear the chapter within 20 in-game days (roughly 3 and a half hours).
Chapter 2, 3 and 4: Clear the chapter in 30 in-game days (roughly 5 hours).

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dragon-quest-builders/296199-missable-trophies.html

Mostly for trophy hunters.

boooga

Neo Member

Yeah, it took me a week to finish the demo (probably 4-ish hours overall?), but I plowed through that part of the actual game in like, an hour.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a strafe button? I noticed that when aiming up/down you strafe naturally, but not when aiming straight ahead. Makes it a bit annoying when trying to build simple walls. I get around it by aiming up, sliding left/right to the right location, then letting go of the aim button to lay a block, then aim up again to continue the strafe.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah I noticed on Sunday they removed release day delivery at some point so I complained and got a 5 dollar voucher and reordered it with 1 day shipping that came with release day delivery. You should complain until you at least get some compensation. They offered me 5 bucks or a month of prime.

They gave me the same $5. The thing that pisses me off is that I pre-ordered a month or so ago, and it was release date delivery. I also ordered the Ghostbusters Blu Ray that was shipped in the same box, and it didn't show up either. Really pissed. This has been the fourth time in the past two months that Amazon hasn't delivered my packages when they said they were. It's really getting tiresome. For that fuck up, they extended my Prime membership by a month. I'm like, "Fuck your extension, I want my shit!"

They "rescheduled" the delivery, so it's coming tomorrow, instead of the 14th. Fuck, Amazon. Why am I paying for Prime when this shit is a regular occurrence? I swear, before I got Prime, my service was much better.

But on topic, I played the demo on the PS4 and Vita a few weeks back, and it's really fun! If I ever get it for myself, I may get the Vita version, while my wife has the PS4 version. I have more time to play on the go anyway. I was impressed by the graphics and performance on the Vita version. I was worried it wouldn't look or run well. Pleasantly surprised.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Is there a strafe button? I noticed that when aiming up/down you strafe naturally, but not when aiming straight ahead. Makes it a bit annoying when trying to build simple walls. I get around it by aiming up, sliding left/right to the right location, then letting go of the aim button to lay a block, then aim up again to continue the strafe.

Hold L1 and R1 at the same time.

Hold Square (double blocks which will put them down whenever you move) or hold L + R (strafe but can only place down one block).

The thing where you can turn dirt into bricks/stones and you can make a huge 5 x 5 x 4 structure and change them all at once is crazy. I spent hours doing it yesterday and am rebuilding my town today. It made monster fights pretty trivial, especially since you start getting town defenses at that time.

Still not out of Chapter 1. I'm hunting in a desert now, which is interesting at least.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hold Square (double blocks which will put them down whenever you move) or hold L + R (strafe but can only place down one block).

The thing where you can turn dirt into bricks/stones and you can make a huge 5 x 5 x 4 structure and change them all at once is crazy. I spent hours doing it yesterday and am rebuilding my town today. It made monster fights pretty trivial, especially since you start getting town defenses at that time.

Still not out of Chapter 1. I'm hunting in a desert now, which is interesting at least.

I find it extremely annoying that I can't just walk forward while holding down the button to lay out a wall quickly. It drops two in front of me which makes it so I can't move forward. I end up having to hold down, drop two, walk backwards, turn around, hold down, drop two, etc.

HotHamBoy

Copied for another thread:

I would really prefer to get this game on Vita. I do travel and often the connection in my house is too dodgy for remote play.

These are the two things holding me back:

Resolution - the demo was very blurry IMO

Draw distance - seems like a drastic difference between PS4 and Vita. Does it have a significant impact on gameplay?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Glad I don't care about trophies. No way I'm going to get those speed run missable ones because that defeats the point of the game.

This game also there is no real character levels to be raised through exp earning with defeating monsters. The only levels that the game has is your town level that is increased with more specific conditions are met you are awarded points for that which levels up your town level. The town level stuff is basically for progressing with the scenario as it usually pops up as a required quest in order to progress.

Still looks interesting. I'll give it a shot eventually, but so much backlog to sort through >_<

Cloud7

Yeah, sorry about that. I should have stated that it was the First Chapter Challenge of completing it in 20 days. That seems really hard to do.

Hobbun

Count me as another person who is not a fan of the speed run trophies. Have never found those enjoyable.

That said, it won't prevent me from playing and enjoying the game.

The demo had a chapter selection option. Wouldn't it be possible to select a particular chapter from the main menu to try to do the speed-run?

I find it extremely annoying that I can't just walk forward while holding down the button to lay out a wall quickly. It drops two in front of me which makes it so I can't move forward. I end up having to hold down, drop two, walk backwards, turn around, hold down, drop two, etc.

Hold down the Square button and walk backwards.

Ohnonono

This game is chill and fun. Pretty relaxing. Maybe I am just an old guy but a minecrafty game with more structure is pretty cool. I also love DQ and the art so there is that.

Bolivar687

Banned
Copied for another thread:

I would really prefer to get this game on Vita. I do travel and often the connection in my house is too dodgy for remote play.

These are the two things holding me back:

Resolution - the demo was very blurry IMO

Draw distance - seems like a drastic difference between PS4 and Vita. Does it have a significant impact on gameplay?

Too soon to say but I don't see the draw distance limiting the experience, it looks like I can see the other islands and places I need to get to. The image quality certainly isn't as clear as PS4 but I still think it looks great and would believe it if I was told this was designed from the ground up as a native Vita game.

I really couldn't imagine having this tied to the TV.

Use them right away! It raises your health permanently. Not for crafting (as far as I know). For consuming.

I dont think so. Currently am checking the JP wikis just in case. But in my playthough I just went and used them any time I found one.

Looking through multiple JP wikis they do not mention saving them for recipes so you might be ok.

Since this game has not actual leveling system for your character the seeds is your only want to raise your HP. Guess you can think of it like the heart containers in zelda lol. Besides how it functions the same as the DQ series.
Cool guys, thanks. :) (And thanks for going through all that effort for me.)

You never know when a game might be sneaky.

Tanston

What do you guys think about this for a couple of 9-11 year-olds that are obsessed with Minecraft but have never played an RPG and (to my knowledge) have no particular affinity for fantasy-themed stuff (but nothing against it either).

Thinking about sending a copy to my nephews...

My 9 year old minecraft obsessed son played the demo for hours and hours. I thought all the RPG stuff was gonna end up boring him especially that intro/tutorial but he really took to it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's a Discard option when selecting an item from the "Items" menu.

Yeah but I believe they still sit on the ground, no?

E: How do I access the DLC recipes?

E2: And does any progress carry from one chapter to the next? Curious as to what the major benefit to exploring is outside of fun and enjoyment. Not saying I won't do it for that reason, but if I'm going to do it 3 more times....

And when do you unlock the free build and explore stuff?

DeviantBoi

If I get the Vita Day One edition, can I get the exclusive DLC stuff on the PS4 version if I buy it later down the road?

boooga

Neo Member
Thanks

How do I get the DLC items? I got three from the Day One edition.

All I've heard is that they're for Free Play mode. They might work in the main quest, but I haven't seen a definitive answer on how to use that stuff yet. Multiple people have asked in this thread, though.

Just made the hammer and wayfarer's clothes. This game is so charming, and the Dragon Quest OST is perfect for it. My only real complaint right now is that I wish it would tell you the ingredients you need whenever you learn a new recipe. It gives you a description, so I don't see why not show you the recipes right there, instead of making me open the recipe menu.

All I've heard is that they're for Free Play mode. They might work in the main quest, but I haven't seen a definitive answer on how to use that stuff yet. Multiple people have asked in this thread, though.

Thanks

Where do I get the tissue necessary for the adventuring garment and the wardrobe?

sora87

All the reviews got me to pre-order, never played minecraft so this will be all new to me with the building aspect, here's hoping I'm actually good at it :p

eagledare

Anyone else have any issues with the Chapter 1 sidequest to build the stone
stockade
? I found the NPC after teleporting and skirting around the mountain, but the blueprint that he supposedly gave me is nowhere to be found.

Hope this isn't a bug.

Hakkesshu

Is there a way to get another tab on the colossal coffer? It looks like there's room for one and I'm running out of space...

stockade
? I found the NPC after teleporting and skirting around the mountain, but the blueprint that he supposedly gave me is nowhere to be found.

Hope this isn't a bug.

I think you have to talk to beardy (can't remember his name) at the base to complete the quest and get the blueprint

stockade

Hope this isn't a bug.
Ok,

first is help the ghost at the stockade, next is talk to the ghost in the castle by the throne, then again on the roof. Finally you talk the the bearded guy in town.

I'm at the castle. I just talked to a dude who disappeared, but my quest marker still indicate the place where he stood. What do I have to do? I missed the last thing the old fart said before disappearing. I'm still in chapter 1, btw.

edit: nevermind. He was on the roof.

Hakkesshu

I'm at the castle. I just talked to a dude who disappeared, but my quest marker still indicate the place where he stood. What do I have to do? I missed the last time the old fart said before disappearing. I'm still in chapter 1, btw.

Did you read what he told you? Go up.

Top Bottom