• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Almost at the end of the first chapter. Taking my time with it.

I've noticed my housemate, who is a big minecraft fan, definitely plays the game like it's minecraft. That is, lots of chests filled with EVERYTHING, as much everything as possible. Base building like a mofo, 3 levels and counting.

While I am more focused on the story stuff, maxed my base level and put in stone walls. But I'm just ready to move on.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I can create the fancy dinner room in my village. The blueprint says I need to use earth for the walls. It seems I have to use that and not fanciers walls such as stone. I suppose I have to abide, and then transform the walls into stone?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I can create the fancy dinner room in my village. The blueprint says I need to use earth for the walls. It seems I have to use that and not fanciers walls such as stone. I suppose I have to abide, and then transform the walls into stone?

Basically always do exactly what the quest tells you then go mess with it later.

Aeana

Those requirements are only for the quest/blueprint. Once you clear it you can change the walls and it'll still become the room.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So is the platinum of this game difficult? I know the speed run is a bit of a hassle but do you need to finish all quests and complete the speed run to get that trophy?

Parakeetman

So is the platinum of this game difficult? I know the speed run is a bit of a hassle but do you need to finish all quests and complete the speed run to get that trophy?

Outside of the timed stuff looking at the trophy list does not seem to be that difficult to achieve.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Outside of the timed stuff looking at the trophy list does not seem to be that difficult to achieve.

I want that platinum ;_;

But then again, my first town in chapter 1 is shit so it looks like I'm definitely going with another playthrough.

Parakeetman

I want that platinum ;_;

But then again, my first town in chapter 1 is shit so it looks like I'm definitely going with another playthrough.

At least for a second playthrough if you do one you can just be mad efficient to blast through the scenarios lol

Cleve

Are there any differences between the ps4 and vita versions besides resolution/textures?

I'd really like the option of playing on the go(but was bummed to see it's not pstv compat)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my game didn't save last night. Boo. But I decided to just power through rather than feel sad. Got up to and past the spot I was in like 20 minutes, haha. The time trial trophies seem not terrible if you know what you're doing.

Can anyone tell me if your town area eventually expands (with spoiler tags for people who don't want to know)? I'm thinking about digging up the land around my torn so that I can have a stairway going into it, but if the land expands, it's going to be painful to do over again.

Can anyone tell me if your town area eventually expands (with spoiler tags for people who don't want to know)? I'm thinking about digging up the land around my torn so that I can have a stairway going into it, but if the land expands, it's going to be painful to do over again.
That's what open world mode is for, in the chapters, it is what it is. My advice, save the big building ideas for that game mode.

CrocoDuck

Hey guys I played the demo and I'm sold on it. Question is, should I go Vita or PS4? Are they completely identical or are there a few differences?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Forgot you had to save at the flag and lost all my progress. Got to the castle. FML. :')

Yeah, that's a bummer.

Speaking of the Castle, last night I found a World Map in a cave. I can't remember where that cave was. It was through the portal and somewhere on my way to the Castle. Anyone know?

ULTROS!

Good news for the platinum:

I also want to try platinum-ing the game in the future, but that depends entirely on whether all the challenges have to be completed on the same playthrough or not (if somebody knows please inform me).

Nope, just tested it. Loaded my chapter 3 save, found a hidden item to unlock a challenge, loaded up the old save again and the challenge was still unlocked.

You don't need to do it one playthrough. So if you want to do the speed run. Finish the chapter then replay the chapter and do a speed run.

Yeah, that's a bummer.

Speaking of the Castle, last night I found a World Map in a cave. I can't remember where that cave was. It was through the portal and somewhere on my way to the Castle. Anyone know?
World Map

• Go to the north side from the friendly hammerhood warming himself at the fire, reach at the edge and go down at a grassy land. Go inside the cave and find the chest at the end with a world map.

^ According to some website.

As for me, I found something else that is kinda bothering me. There's no real way to track quests or player position, à la DQIX or Minecraft (or more commonly, an MMO), and there are tons of mini-quests scattered around in tiny, obscure niches.

I'm never going to remember where these 20 Hammerhood Brothers are, much less be able to bring back a bag full of extremely specific plants or fancy gravestones. And this is just in Chapter 1. A truly daunting thought for someone who lives to explore every nook and cranny, but is absentminded and easily gets lost.

If they make a second installment, I really hope they keep Quality of Life improvements on the top of the To-Do List, as well as implementing an Online or Multiplayer Mode. Story Mode should be a solo affair, but I would have loved for Free Build to have some kind of MP functionality, even something as small as being able to invite your PSN friends over to check out your cool stuff.

On the upside, I ran into Rocky Block Slimes today AND got the rare drop to make a Hammerhood plushie. So kawaii, bro.

As for me, I found something else that is kinda bothering me. There's no real way to track quests or player position, à la DQIX or Minecraft (or more commonly, an MMO), and there are tons of mini-quests scattered around in tiny, obscure niches.

I'm never going to remember where these 20 Hammerhood Brothers are, much less be able to bring back a bag full of extremely specific plants or fancy gravestones. And this is just in Chapter 1. A truly daunting thought for someone who lives to explore every nook and cranny, but is absentminded and easily gets lost.

I agree that it can be a bit of a pain in the ass trying to keep tabs on all that. You do get orbs that you can place and they'll put a colored marker on your compass to help you navigate back to them, though. You can use them to set waypoints if there is a particular spot you wanna get back to. Not very convenient, but at least it's something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Annoying that you need open space to drop a blueprint. I want to lay it down so one wall overlaps with an existing wall to be more efficient but it won't let me place it.

Kensuke

This might have been answered before, but what is the disadvantage of having an empty hunger meter? I'm not noticing anything.

Flarin

So I'm totally stuck. I'm at the end of Chapter 1 with a Level 5 base, but there's a quest where I need to make a sandwich. I CANT FIND WHEAT ANYWHERE. Where the hell is wheat in this game? I've combed over all 3 areas many times and haven't found shit.

Help?

Codiox

question: is there a good chunk of battle and fighting in this game? I mean you can craft armor and swords afaik, but i mean are there dungeons for example? Or is the fighting like minecraft?

johnsmith

remember me
question: is there a good chunk of battle and fighting in this game? I mean you can craft armor and swords afaik, but i mean are there dungeons for example? Or is the fighting like minecraft?

There's a lot of fighting but it's all in an overworld. No dungeons that I've seen, at least in the first chapter.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Where do you get that cloth you need to build the armoire? I have 1 piece and can't find anymore.

Also, that base looks nice. Mine is a mess and I don't intend to fix that until free build mode, haha.

E: I was up until 1am playing last night. I haven't done "late gaming" on a work night in a while. Feels good.

A67vr6o.jpg

WHAT...
THE...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..!!!

What is the translation of this like?
I played a bit of the demo (I got to where you need to gather ingredients for use in your kitchen), and so far it seems very kid friendly/not as pun heavy like traditional DQ games. Does it change up to be more pun heavy as it goes on, or does it stick with it's kid friendly time throughout?

13ruce

Banned
I'm still thinking about getting this game.
I love dragon quest although i only played one on the ds i really liked it. But i dislike minecraft. Would anyone recommend this game or shall i skip it? Is there any story or quests to it and is the building not a chore or very time consuming like minecraft?

I still need to try the demo though. So maybe it's the best to first try that right?

Top Bottom