• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

I found the place with the bones you are supposed to bury to get the double jump boots, but I forgot where it is. Can someone help? I know it's in the blue portal area.

Also, where do we learn how to build gravestones?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm still thinking about getting this game.
I love dragon quest although i only played one on the ds i really liked it. But i dislike minecraft. Would anyone recommend this game or shall i skip it? Is there any story or quests to it and is the building not a chore or very time consuming like minecraft?

I still need to try the demo though. So maybe it's the best to first try that right?

Play the demo. Should be a no brainer for the fastest results with seeing how the game is. Links to the us psn dl is on the first page.

SOLDIER

Is there a way to specify how many of an item you want to craft? So far it only looks like I can craft one at a time or create the max amount. What if I just wanted to make 3 beds, for example?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm still thinking about getting this game.
I love dragon quest although i only played one on the ds i really liked it. But i dislike minecraft. Would anyone recommend this game or shall i skip it? Is there any story or quests to it and is the building not a chore or very time consuming like minecraft?

I still need to try the demo though. So maybe it's the best to first try that right?

Yeah, the demo is 100% indicative of the final product. You gather materials to craft and upgrade your equipment and town. It's got a story with a bunch of quests that tie into the building/crafting. You need to build houses for people to live in, a kitchen for people to cook in, a shop to build in, etc. It's super charming.

Definitely try the demo. If you enjoy it, you will absolutely enjoy the game as it's just more of that.

Is there a way to specify how many of an item you want to craft? So far it only looks like I can craft one at a time or create the max amount. What if I just wanted to make 3 beds, for example?

At this point, I think the general consensus is that if you want to make more than one of something (but not the max), you have to craft it multiple times over. It's super annoying since there's a 1x that floats above the final result making you think you should be able to increment that.

owlbeak

Never played a Dragon Quest game before (not really a huge fan of JRPGs outside of stuff on NES/SNES), but I tried the demo for this and it was great fun, even if the characters do talk way too much, and I wish you could entirely skip dialogue if you talk to a person a second time.

Will be picking this up to play on vacation. :)

Arkeband

Banned
Stayed up playing this way too late last night. Boy it opens up after the demo section. The colossal chest is a total game changer.

edit: Just read about the speedrun trophies - wow, that's incredibly lame. Can you re-start chapters after you complete them or do you have to start a whole new file?

This is driving me nuts. I'm looking for the world map in hammerhood heights and at the spot it is supposed to be is only a book. It is supposed to be in the cliffs to the north of the first hammerhood you meet.

Aeana

This is driving me nuts. I'm looking for the world map in hammerhood heights and at the spot it is supposed to be is only a book. It is supposed to be in the cliffs to the north of the first hammerhood you meet.
All I remember is that it's in a cave in that area. :/

I cannot find the cave with the bones and it's driving me crazy.

Is it possible to destroy them? Maybe I did and that's why I cannot find them again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I cannot find the cave with the bones and it's driving me crazy.

Is it possible to destroy them? Maybe I did and that's why I cannot find them again.

You can usually destroy bones, but I ran across a cave last night with bones I couldn't destroy. I don't remember where, though. It was on my way to the castle. I was just spin attacking my way through the cliffs and found an opening with a small cave.

BTW I found the World Map finally. A+

ys45

So I was able to play much more yesterday, so now I started mining and make a bunch of new stuff and upgrade my town made of dirt to a town made fo brick :p

One of the things I like about this game is it takes some of the things I find annoying in other crafting games and fix it .

Like being able to upgrade your current dirt block to brick without removing everything.
also when you have the colossal chest, when you loot stuff and your full, it goes directly into the chest .

You can usually destroy bones, but I ran across a cave last night with bones I couldn't destroy. I don't remember where, though. It was on my way to the castle. I was just spin attacking my way through the cliffs and found an opening with a small cave.

Where was the world map? I'm struggling to find it in the location it should be at.

ukas

A67vr6o.jpg

WHAT...
THE...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..!!!

Lol, kept happening to me too. Make plenty of beds.

Begaria

This game. THIS GAME. A great blend of Dragon Quest, Minecraft, and old school Zelda sensibilities. I spent a few hours last night just exploring most of Hammer Heights (found the world map), building up my town to level 3, and just resource gathering from natural resources and monsters. HOOKED.

Vinlaen

Are there any tips to make it easier to place blocks or items on the ground? I find that I have to move around a lot to get the precise placement.

I did hear that holding L1 + R1 locks your orientation or something and that it might help?

Ferr986

Are there any tips to make it easier to place blocks or items on the ground? I find that I have to move around a lot to get the precise placement.

I did hear that holding L1 + R1 locks your orientation or something and that it might help?

L1 for putting blocks up, R1 down.

kromeo

Want to finish tales of Xillia 2 before I start this or I know I never will, then I need to find time for World of FF as well :(

chris121580

Heading out on a plane later this evening and thinking about picking this up for the Vita. How's the Vita version for 39.99?

Thanks, but what about for picking the correct alignment? For example, when I'm trying to place a door or something at the right position.
Use the D-Pad to move your cursor onto the item you're trying to place, that should give you a yellow outline that shows where the item will go. It may seem counterintuitive, but hitting left and then right before placing something has saved me lots of time because I don't have to trial and error placement of items.

N° 2048

Anyone found a way to permanently discard items? I can't make a hole in the ground because when I discard items it throws it in a random direction.

tebunker

Banned
Got sucked in for a couple extra hours last might, got spin move, and the trap blueprint. Just wanted to keep playing.

Its just so much fun. Hoping it doesnt wear thin as this is what I wanted/needed minecraft to be for me.

SkyOdin

Where do you get that cloth you need to build the armoire? I have 1 piece and can't find anymore.

Also, that base looks nice. Mine is a mess and I don't intend to fix that until free build mode, haha.

E: I was up until 1am playing last night. I haven't done "late gaming" on a work night in a while. Feels good.
Cloth is occasionally dropped by skeletons.

Tanston

I sort of recommend 7 Days to Die - basically present-day realistic Minecraft but every seventh day a huge, dangerous horde of zombies comes. It's rougher than Minecraft but the structure of maintaining and developing your base every seven days gets super, super compelling.

Is 7 days to die one of those games that is difficult just for the sake of being difficult or is it more moderate with it's difficulty level? I'll definitely be looking for more similar experiences after I exhaust my time with DQB because i'm really really enjoying it.

Dmonzy

Is the world in this game randomly generated like Minecraft or handcrafted to be the same experience for everyone?

Shouta

Here's a quick video I did of the World Map location for anyone having issues.

World Map YouTube

I want to point out that there's a bit of variability with some item locations and where you can find in the game. It changes when you start your game but it follows a certain algorithm but puts it in general places. I found that out when I couldn't find the double jump boots in the same location as others. It was in a totally different place for me though beyond the same gate, lol.

JJShadow

I know it's only three days difference, but I'm sitting here feeling really jealous about all of you who have been playing since Tuesday, we EuroGAFers have to wait till tomorrow :(

Thank you for all your impressions, really looking forward to grab it tomorrow finally!

Thanks

My big chest is already filled. Does it expand at some point?

boooga

Neo Member
Put in a little more time last night and I'm starting to explore the second area. Things really up once you find coal and copper for the first time! It's actually a little overwhelming, trying to keep track of all the new materials I've found.

(Edit) Sidenote: I really hope this game pushes people to try some mainline DQ games for the first time. All of the charm that people talk about—the monster designs, the music, the writing—it's the backbone of the Dragon Quest series.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In chapter 1, where do you get the stupid leather sack?

Kill the big Hammer dudes. They drop them regularly.

Also, I knew the skeletons dropped those cloths, but they weren't dropping for me for some reason. Literally got like 7 in a row just now. Progress!

DryvBy

Kill the big Hammer dudes. They drop them regularly.

Also, I knew the skeletons dropped those cloths, but they weren't dropping for me for some reason. Literally got like 7 in a row just now. Progress!

Thanks. Must have killed 2 dozen with only their fur dropping. Oh wells.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Perhaps this has already been answered (did a search, but no luck), but does anyone know if you can unlock the full game from within the demo when it's released? Not sure I feel like doing everything I've already done over again.

Not the biggest of deals, but still...

Top Bottom