• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders Review Thread

Do we know if the game is localized in any language other than English? How do the past Dragon Quest games fare on this matter?

DQVII only came to the West basically because of French fans, so I'd think this one would also be translated to other languages around Europe?

Eusis

Way too high for a game severely lacking in multiplayer. It is fun though.
I have to assume this is from an assumption that something like Minecraft is at its best when you can readily play together and either share what you made with others or collaborate on something grand because otherwise it's nuts. And even in that context, well, there's something to be said for DQB doing something different enough to compensate and be more than DQ-flavor Minecraft.

Owari

I had a blast playing the demo and I can't wait to play the full version.

This post makes no sense as it means by your logic that other single player games shouldn't get high scores because...reasons.

Just because it doesn't have multiplayer doesn't mean that the game should automatically be given a low score especially when it's clear that a lot of work went into the game.
I imported the game at launch, it's solid, but quickly loses appeal. These type of games are meant to be only multiplayer. They took a multiplayer genre and made it single player, so it's weird the game got high scores. I'd give it a 6.8/10.

I believe the localization should have included multiplayer if they wanted this to sell really well. It's legitimately better than Minecraft in almost every way. Could have sold a lot.

Whoa, those reviews snuck up on me big time! Very nice to hear the game is that good; I have to try that demo now.

damn, that's sweet. I wonder if the French localization was included in the North American release.

I know a few Nintendo games get separate translations for Canada and France but AFAIK most other companies just use the same one.

Dynamic3

I think I might grab the physical Vita version. Which site is typically the cheapest and/or quickest to get such a thing to the US?

I know a few Nintendo games get separate translations for Canada and France but AFAIK most other companies just use the same one.

Oh totally, but I'm wondering if Canada got a French translation at all. I don't care if it's the same one as in France, as the language is the same, bare some different idioms.

Arkeband

Banned
I imported the game at launch, it's solid, but quickly loses appeal. These type of games are meant to be only multiplayer. They took a multiplayer genre and made it single player, so it's weird the game got high scores. I'd give it a 6.8/10.

I believe the localization should have included multiplayer if they wanted this to sell really well. It's legitimately better than Minecraft in almost every way. Could have sold a lot.

Adding robust netcode and multiplayer is wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond the scope of normal localization duties.

Oh totally, but I'm wondering if Canada got a French translation at all. I don't care if it's the same one as in France, as the language is the same, bare some different idioms.

Ohhh, yeah yeah. Well, FFXV has a French localization included, and even the Dragon Quest DS games did (I can attest to V, and it depended on the system language), so I think they'll include it.

Ohhh, yeah yeah. Well, FFXV has a French localization included, and even the Dragon Quest DS games did (I can attest to V, and it depended on the system language), so I think they'll include it.

Builders is released in NA and Europe in the same week, so it would be weird for the French translation to not be included in the NA release. But who knows with these companies. Here's hoping it is included.

As for FFXV, I will be so pissed if the French localization is not on the NA disc. The English dub is so bad, lol. I don't want to suffer through it.

Eusis

This is asinine and arbitrary.
He actually clarified his stance a few posts up.

also yaaay vindication. I figured that anyone sensible would say that because they like Minecraft style games best with MP, kind of like being disappointed a racing game lacks MP (or perhaps an FPS with good mechanics, as that's more a genre that can and has excelled in SP but can have this as a common criticism.)

EDIT: And skipping French would be dumb due to Quebec. Especially when last I heard they were at least trying to mandate French options if available elsewhere in the world.

Builders is released in NA and Europe in the same week, so it would be weird for the French translation to not be included in the NA release. But who knows with these companies. Here's hoping it is included.

As for FFXV, I will be so pissed if the French localization is not on the NA disc. The English dub is so bad, lol. I don't want to suffer through it.

I remember Xenoblade X didn't have French or Spanish text on the disc, but they patched it in for free later. I think they will be included, there's no reason not to and IIRC I think games nowadays are required to have French language support, or something?

FFXV is pretty guaranteed to be a big game, so I'm crossing my fingers they will right off the bat. The Uncharted collection managed to include 4 audio tracks for every single game, so here's hoping. There's a German dub too but I can see them leaving that off of the NA version if need be.

I find myself pretty intrigued by this one, never clicked with Minecraft's lack of focus and blocktacular visuals.
And Dragon Quest meanwhile I like the tone and style of but never gel with the actual RPG titles.

So maybe this game will hit a nice mid point for me, the demo was okay albeit held back by the necessary tutorial stuff.

I remember Xenoblade X didn't have French or Spanish text on the disc, but they patched it in for free later. I think they will be included, there's no reason not to and IIRC I think games nowadays are required to have French language support, or something?

FFXV is pretty guaranteed to be a big game, so I'm crossing my fingers they will right off the bat. The Uncharted collection managed to include 4 audio tracks for every single game, so here's hoping. There's a German dub too but I can see them leaving that off of the NA version if need be.

The government of Québec has a contract with the ESA stipulating that if a French localization exists for a game, then it has to be included with the game should it be released in its territory. But in some cases of a game not having a French localization at the moment of release in NA because it is still being produced (as games often release in Europe at a later date), most of the time, the game will not be patched with the French localization. Exceptions exist, such as Xenoblade X and Yo-Kai Watch.

From what I played in the demo, the gameplay loop is incredibly fulfilling and rewarding. The idea of slowly building up a ruined mess into a small town, and then a city, with really solid innovations on what have become Minecraft standards are what makes this stand apart. There is a polish, flow, and sense of meaningful direction at every turn that even gives something like Terreria a new bar to reach for. For example, I really love how you can plant a blueprint down into the world and then place all the bricks on top of it as if you're working on a giant lego schematic. The hand crafted world (as opposed to it being randomly generated) hopefully means that exploration can be even more rewarding knowing that someone placed treasure, monsters, and interesting locations in specifically hard or weird to reach areas.

My only fear is that this flow burns out fast and that there isn't really much to keep it going. Part of me wants this to be very long, but only if it can keep feeling fresh. I also am worried that it won't have much re playability because of its hand-crafted nature, meaning once you complete the progression once, you've basically seen it all.

Hexer06

Nice reviews so far! I really enjoyed the demo, but it's coming out at such a bad time. I still have Forza Horizon 3 and Lost Odyssey to get through. Then GoW4 being the same day doesn't help at all lol. I'm for sure picking this game up sometime though. Maybe first sale or price drop. If it had Multiplayer, I'd be in Day One.

psyfi

Banned
Aw man, I totally assumed this was coming out on XB1. Hopefully it'll come out on NX, or else I'll never play it.

Begaria

Nope, no PS4 Pro features announced. Doubt this would be the kind of game to get any kind of upgrade due to its simplistic aesthetics. It already runs 1080p/60FPS on the PS4.

Chaplain

Nope, no PS4 Pro features announced. Doubt this would be the kind of game to get any kind of upgrade due to its simplistic aesthetics. It already runs 1080p/60FPS on the PS4.

Thank you.

It might run at 1080p/60FPS, but I noticed the frame rate dropping in multiple locations when panning the camera. I was hoping that Pro support would remove these performance problems.

zeox

Really glad this is getting great reviews. Had a ton of fun with the japanese version, and I can't wait to do it all over again!

Ah, okay, cool. So it looks like another Dragon Quest spin-off that I'll be looking forward to the sequel for, hehe. Any word on the Dragon Quest Heroes sequel coming stateside anytime soon?
It launched in Japan this summer so we're probably still a ways off from the announcement. It is more than likely coming though.

etrain911

Awww, this thread's creation had me thinking that the game launched today! :( Welp, guess I have something new to look forward to this month.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
The demo really clicked with me, I've never been a fan of builders but the direction given and DQ wrapping were enough for me. Can't wait :)

GHG

Ok, now I'm curious. Will try the demo.

I'll buy one more full priced fame this year and its looking most likely to be between this and gears 4. Chalk and cheese I know, but that's how I roll.

Celegus

Honestly the demo convinced me to buy this. It got my wife on board too.

It was more convincing than any written word or video.

It also reinforced in my mind that having a well made demo that realy shows what a game is about can sell it. We don't get nearly as many demos anymore. Its a shame because it seems like pubs are trying too much to control message and prevent prerelease information that isnt heavily controlled.

With all that said though, I preordered this and it will be here soon enough.

Is there local co-op or anything? My wife and I are huge DQ fans, she's playing through VII right now and this looks really neat.

HotHamBoy

I really want this on Vita. It's $20 cheaper and I'd be much more likely to play it there more often. But I just played some of the Vita demo and holy shit is it blurry as fuck.

Sub-native resolution is such a bummer, will wait for a sale.

Top Bottom