• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders Review Thread

Unknown?

Aw man, I totally assumed this was coming out on XB1. Hopefully it'll come out on NX, or else I'll never play it.
Is this a joke post? Xbox doesn't get these kind of games...

Isn't there some way to share creations online? I could swear I read that the game had some online functionality.
I think they said that in the trailer that you could share creations.

I had to pry myself from the demo because it was too fun and i would be disappointed once it ends.

Definitely gonna get the full game one of these days

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Curious to play the demo. Would probably get the PS4 version, which I could then also remote play on my PC or vita. Although vita version for play on the train could be tempting

Any reviews comparing the two versions?

aadiboy

Seems like some big names still haven't reviewed the game. I want to see the score go even higher as more reviews come in!

sora87

Is this a joke post? Xbox doesn't get these kind of games...

I do find it strange when people want these kind of games yet refuse to buy a ps4 for some reason.
Or a vita.

Definitely reviewing better than i expected. Can see myself sinking a lot of time in to this if i get around to it.

I can only compare the demos but there seems to be something wrong with the framerate of the localized PS4 version.

I noticed people in the demo thread mentioning stutter and after playing it just now I saw it myself. It's microstutter where a frame is skipped every now and then. Not everyone will see it but it's there and has nothing to do with my system.

I looked around a bit more and saw someone mentioning that that's not the case in the JP version, which is perfectly smooth, even the demo. So I tried that, and they were right, no stutter. Absoluely smooth. I was trying to make a comparison video, but it sadly doesn't come across very well in recorded 30FPS footage.

But if you're sensitive to framerates, try it yourself. Walk around a bit one the overworld, turn the camera, it's there in the english build but not in the JP one.

I really need to know if that's the case in the retail version, because it's extremely distracting and shouldn't be there.

But if you're sensitive to framerates, try it yourself. Walk around a bit one the overworld, turn the camera, it's there in the english build but not in the JP one.

I really need to know if that's the case in the retail version, because it's extremely distracting and shouldn't be there.

It's just like the sluggish menus in the localized versions of DQVII. I wonder what's going on here that would allow this to happen.

Hopefully this isn't an issue with the retail version.

Caim

Isn't there some way to share creations online? I could swear I read that the game had some online functionality.

In Free Build mode you’re put on an island without any monsters to attack your camp.

You're free to build whatever you want and can share with the community online.

Also they kinda ruined the controls imo. I understand switching X/O is kind of necessary, but jump was X and attack was square in the JP version, which feels much more natural than circle and triangle. Opening the menu with X also feels very strange.

I can only compare the demos but there seems to be something wrong with the framerate of the localized PS4 version.

I noticed people in the demo thread mentioning stutter and after playing it just now I saw it myself. It's microstutter where a frame is skipped every now and then. Not everyone will see it but it's there and has nothing to do with my system.

I looked around a bit more and saw someone mentioning that that's not the case in the JP version, which is perfectly smooth, even the demo. So I tried that, and they were right, no stutter. Absoluely smooth. I was trying to make a comparison video, but it sadly doesn't come across very well in recorded 30FPS footage.

Yea I noticed this as well in the English demo and couldn't remember it in the JP demo.

Curious to play the demo. Would probably get the PS4 version, which I could then also remote play on my PC or vita. Although vita version for play on the train could be tempting

Any reviews comparing the two versions?

Aside from lower quality assets and lower framerate both versions seem identical. PS4 looks quite a bit better, but Vita seems prefectly fine if you prefer portability.

Just try both demos and see if it bothers you.
Yea I noticed this as well in the English demo and couldn't remember it in the JP demo.

Are you getting the full game for yourself or to review maybe? I need someone who can notice the stutter to tell me if it's still there in retail. This is honestly a dealbreaker for me at the moment

Aside from lower quality assets and lower framerate both versions seem identical. PS4 looks quite a bit better, but Vita seems prefectly fine if you prefer portability.

Are you getting the full game for yourself or to review maybe? I need someone who can notice the stutter to tell me if it's still there in retail. This is honestly a dealbreaker for me at the moment

I'm buying it day one (locally) and will probably review but if not I'll tell you when I get my copy. My local store will have stock for me on 13th. I'm also getting vita physical but that'll reach in November fwiw.

Jimrpg

I just read the US gamer review. Looks right up my alley as I can't play first person games due to motion sickness and have always been curious about mine craft. Gonna pick it up on sale.

I'm buying it day one (locally) and will probably review but if not I'll tell you when I get my copy. My local store will have stock for me on 13th. I'm also getting vita physical but that'll reach in November fwiw.
awesome thank you. Might just go with Vita myself if the problem persists on PS4, didn't notice anything wrong with that one

EoroGamer preview piqued my interest when they called it a structured (like a traditional gamey game) Minecraft. That is totally up my street because, left to my own devices, I am not a very creative person and so Minecraft doesn't appeal to me.

At 84 on Metacritic right now. Usually the average meta score goes down not up. Square must be so pleased with the reception. I hope at least a few more people are made aware of the game now and the excellent reviews sway a few more fence sitters to buy the game. Reviews may not matter all that much for more mainstream games but for these type of games, a really good critical reception should make a real difference.
I know i went from maybe purchase it when its under £20 to must buy as soon as possible. I know theres a demo available which could have informed me more, but I don't have access to my ps4 at the moment.

awesome thank you. Might just go with Vita myself if the problem persists on PS4, didn't notice anything wrong with that one

Well I just asked a friend who has the retail build and he said the stutter is present in the final build and he noticed it immediately. I linked him to your post and gamefaqs thread about it. meh. Doubt SE will even patch this. It took them ages to patch FFX HD on PS4 for the audio loop thing.

GeoramA

Nice scores. Definitely reviewing better than your average spin-off. Hope World of Final Fantasy gets the same success.

Jetku

Played a bit of the demo with my wife and it feels like minecraft meets MySims with a dragon quest skin.

My wife put ~100 hours into 2 dragon quest 9 playthroughs when it came out, which was crazy since she doesn't game much and it was her first RPG. She also put probably ~50 hours into MySims for the Wii.

Well I just asked a friend who has the retail build and he said the stutter is present in the final build and he noticed it immediately. I linked him to your post and gamefaqs thread about it. meh. Doubt SE will even patch this. It took them ages to patch FFX HD on PS4 for the audio loop thing.
Pretty sad :(
Doesn't look like any reviews mention it so most people probably won't care. Bummer
EDIT

Just found this on Reddit. I definitely won't buy this day one now. pre order cancelled

I realize this thread is eight days old, but I'm super worried about this game's frame-rate. It's terrible in the western release but great in the Japanese release. I imported a huge town that my fiancée built in the Japanese demo to this English demo, and the game could barely run. Super choppy, as low as 10-15fps at times. Not good.

I kinda wish Digital Foundry would look at this so there's proof

Draw distance is also a big difference between the two.

I really do hope they sort out the frame pacing (I think?) issue that isn't present in the Japanese retail release. Perhaps they'll patch it?

Wereroku

Pretty sad :(
Doesn't look like any reviews mention it so most people probably won't care. Bummer
EDIT
Just found this on Reddit. I definitely won't buy this day one now. pre order cancelled

I kinda wish Digital Foundry would look at this so there's proof

That post has now been delete. You sure that it wasn't the importing of the JPN save that screwed it up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This info about the frame rates means I'm not buying day 1. Even if it's overblown and exaggerated, I want more retail level impressions. Game is a lot of fun, but shitty lag fests are absolutely inexcusable in this day and age.

Top Bottom