• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

turnbuckle

Have the mobile version of DQ III but I'd say the SNES version is still the definitive version. But this is a much better effort than DQI on Android. I'd prefer to have some portable emulator with physical controls running the SNES version, but the controls aren't too bad.

turnbuckle

Any way to temporarily get rid of the golden claw curse while in the pyramid on mobile? There are parts of the pyramid I haven't been to yet but I have the golden claw and it's taking forever. You can't put items in the bank and you can't put the claw back in the tomb. Seems my only option is to give up on exploring the cave (missing mini medals) or toss the claws.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am really loving DQII. So much. It's a huge step up from the original game that was so simple in comparison. I remember owning the original on NES and reading Nintendo Power back then and seeing the screenshots and maps of II and being so excited and blown away when I noticed that the entirety of Alefgard was inside the DQII map. Of course it's compressed and simplified (Sadly way too simplified. Are they implying that all the other towns were torn down when people migrated outward to the other continents? At one point I think the Dragonlord's son says "Where Cantlin once stood".) but back then it was impressive. Part of me wishes they'd kept the scale the same for Alefgard and scaled the other part of the world up but I guess that would have A) made the overworld way too big to traverse and B) taken up a lot more memory.

It took me forever to find the sunken treasure because for some reason it wasn't shown on the overworld even after talking to everyone to get it to appear. I had to look at a map that had it marked and then sail until the ! bubble appeared to find it. Is it supposed to show up on the overworld? Or are we supposed to search all over for it? At least it let me find it without it being shown.

I just got the item out of the tower and went down to talk to the spirit under the ocean. Now I just have to figure out how to get onto the mountain top wintery area. I don't even know how far into the game I am.

Also, are there any better armor or weapons for the princess? She's so underpowered and all the towns never have anything she can use. So far the best shop I've found is in the underground town. So expensive though. Hopefully there's better stuff in winter world. (Sorry I don't know its name yet.)

Jucksalbe

Banned
It took me forever to find the sunken treasure because for some reason it wasn't shown on the overworld even after talking to everyone to get it to appear. I had to look at a map that had it marked and then sail until the ! bubble appeared to find it. Is it supposed to show up on the overworld? Or are we supposed to search all over for it? At least it let me find it without it being shown.

I think there's a soft glow around the spot that only appears when you get close, at least in the SFC version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think there's a soft glow around the spot that only appears when you get close, at least in the SFC version.
There wasn't anything here. I had to check a map and sail up until I got the !. It's 2 tiles to the left of the leftmost part of the continent at the top of the world when starting from the port town. So it was easy to pinpoint once I knew the X location. Don't know why nothing was showing up for me. Maybe I didn't trigger something even though I talked to everyone including the guy in Tantegel and the two people including the one hidden away in Lianport.

I think I had a similar issue when playing on iOS, I had to talk to a bunch of people before I could get the treasure to show up.

Did you make the Water Cloak or whatever it is called yet? I think that ends up being the best armor for the princess. I also had her with the staff that casts the thunder spell (ugh I forget the names I'm the worst) and just spammed that in battle.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I had a similar issue when playing on iOS, I had to talk to a bunch of people before I could get the treasure to show up.

Did you make the Water Cloak or whatever it is called yet? I think that ends up being the best armor for the princess. I also had her with the staff that casts the thunder spell (ugh I forget the names I'm the worst) and just spammed that in battle.
Not yet. I think I need one more item. I have found the guy though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I could see them doing a digital-only release for the West. Localization costs shouldn't be high for this one, but potential sales might be too low for a retail release.

Psxphile

X3eN6ju.jpg

No, no... it's fine Squeenix. I'm not mad. But, just don't forget that you also have a Dissidia team lost somewhere in that corporate structure.

Bring it to PS4 and/or VITA with online multiplayer and I think we're gold. Might even improve DQ brand recognition in the west.

Aeana

What about the overworld and towns/dungeons? Do they look more like DQIV? Enemy animations? I don't want to wait for monday!!

It's a port of the DS version. It's very faithful. Even moreso than DQ4 mobile was, since in DQ5 the music actually resumes where it left off after battle, and the music doesn't have the symphonic intros.

i dont believe i saw this thread before,forgive me if it's double post
but during the last 2 years i played the whole series -late better than never-

i played DQVIII on its time but as the first DQ game ever, a lot of standards i wasn't aware of it, but i didnt want to go back and play the previous games at all

6 years later after DQVIII -2011/2012- i felt the urge of entering the series, was planning to play some of them that classified as the best DQ among the fans, then i started with DWIII GBC version -the superior in content but not in graphics/sounds-
except of gold medals, i completely mastered it , after that, i found myself needed to play DWI-II for well known reasons among the fans, and i got hooked up !

then i ordered the DS trio , the all hype was about DQV , but i was impressed with DQIV specially on he visual side , i believe it was having a lot of visual effects during the fights that wasnt in V-VI, or maybe because of the jump from GBC :D

V was good but i didnt liked the recruit system especially when it's making the main party useless somewhat because of some limitations

then on VI , tho i felt confused by the concept, but later on it was amazing , i really liked IV-VI over V, maybe because of the overhype, but i admit the story of V is unique, and i left to save slots to take the other 2 options in the game but hadnt started yet so far

now it was the time to play DWVII, but the news of 3DS remake came out , so i delayed playing the game to get the better version.

as for DQVIII , i didnt replied it back then, but i jumped to DQIX , OMG , tho the differences , IT IS STILL A MAIN DRAGON QUEST GAME ! IT WAS SO BIG, i didnt played any multi/co-op , but the idea of daily online store and randomness in special dungeons , a lot of treats for the fans and more and more to speak about, this game took the longest time of my life , i really didnt put such hours in any game before , and it's still requiring many hours to complete many things, it's designed like it wouldn't end no matter what until you really complete everything at 100% , and it got a lot of rare items that you need to pay more time to have them, and no matter how strong you are, you may get killed just like that,, too bad the servers came to an end, otherwise i'd at least check on this game daily for the store,

http://i.imgur.com/viOxjG6.jpg

now it's time to back for DQVIII, and as i felt, it was like a brand new experience tho i played it before, now i really got much if the basics and concepts of DQ series, it was like a dream, i really enjoyed my time , and of course i mastered 'almost' everything except the hunting - i beat the tournament- and lvl99 for all , it was a magical journey, a REAL journey

https://i.imgur.com/IIQ6Wsk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7iY6LO7.jpg

well, after all that, still no DQVII for the WEST T__T
so i bought it from ebay, got cheated and ebay didnt protect me well , but at least the game's working just fine till the end
when i heard DWVII is big, i didnt realize it was THIS BIG, i dont know if i can compare it to DQIX regarding this matter, but for a PS1 game tho it wasnt technically impressive, it was really huge, lots and lots of conversations, you wouldnt get any character to replay its lines until you speak with them more than 2-3 times, it's like you're talk with a living characters not just regular NPCs.
but i've to admit that i lost my track some times, because of the size of the game and the visuals isn't helping me to remember and recognizing some things, i wouldnt blame the translation but i felt it was missing something
anyways, i beat the game, but i really seek the remake to be done for the west someday , i felt that even after i got much of experience in DQ universe, i didnt get to give my all for VII, so i'm hoping to do much better when the time comes.

and thus, this is a quick revisit of my experience with this solid brand from I-IX
i bought Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 as the first spin off game, but hadnt played it yet, but i will.

when i heard of the first 3 games coming to mobile, and it'd be more than just a port, i got excited to replay them in SNES visuals and GBC additions, but too bad it wasnt like that, so i believe i'd skip replaying them , sigh now my save files would be a hostage depending on battery life, i know i can solve it, but still

now let's just hope they'd release DQVII to west, and i can be very happy .

i'd like to thank the people in gamefaqs forums that went with my adventure during the marathon time, especially someone named 'nfrazee28' , he's a living legend + the other well known members in the series out there.

i highly recommend the wholes series to any RPG gamer , no matter how outdated the games in any ways, but DQ series is more than just a game, it's an EXPERIENCE you wouldn't get tire of it no matter how you proceed in the series.

sorry for the long post and lack of more details, it's been 1 year since i beat DWVII which was the last on my marathon list, and i'm really getting old to remember such details these days "^^

cheers for all fans :)

Haha, wow. I think I've only put about 80 hours into that game, this is some dedication. I'm glad to hear you enjoy this series so much.

you wont believe this then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF5Tk-v3IoY

i really enjoyed it as a matter of fact and i recommend it to any one !

Not to just focus on Ebay, but usually they side with the buyer in most stuff, especially when its a case of false descriptions and the like. Also where is my Lost Odyssey 2 :p

too bad at time even the seller was full of himself that ebay is siding with them not us -lol right?- he even started to lie and refused returns and everything but he won, even his positive ranking for me was deleted by ebay along with my negative ranking for him, but what's dons is done.

anyways. dont wait for LO2, as i'm working on FFXVII :p

Does DQIV mobile use the DS soundtrack or the PSX soundtrack? I assume it's the DS soundtrack but it'd be a plus if it sounded more orchestrated like the PSX version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does DQIV mobile use the DS soundtrack or the PSX soundtrack? I assume it's the DS soundtrack but it'd be a plus if it sounded more orchestrated like the PSX version.
They didn't even give DQVIII the orchestrated soundtrack from the PS2 version. (Nor the awesome voice acting.)

There's some videos of gameplay on YouTube. I can't tell but I'm assuming it's just the DS one.

Sorry. A post I made didn't seem to show up.

So VII for a western release is pretty much not happening right?

keep on believing
we got DQV for western market after 17 years, and DQVI after 16 years of their original releases xD
at least we have english script here that needs revision in the worst case scenario, so i think 2015/16 we'd get something, HOPEFULLY T__T

Ourobolus

Banned
Does anyone know of a good way to get the DW7 discs into an EBOOT? Every time I've tried copying them over to an EBOOT it makes it to the New Game/Continue screen and there's nothing there except the blue background. Has anyone done it successfully?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I played it on PSP. I remember this only works properly with a specific version of the emulator, but I don't remember which one and how you change it. Some key combination you have to hold down at startup.

DW7 doesn't work very well on PSP. It's mostly compatible with some older POPS versions but even then hard crashes happen, and there are some parts of the game where you literally can't progress on any version. I played through the whole thing a few years ago this way, I ended up having to switch to a PC emulator to get past Gracos.

Aeana

It uses neither. It has a new synthesized soundtrack that's based on the symphonic suite recordings, complete with intros.

DW7 doesn't work very well on PSP. It's mostly compatible with some older POPS versions but even then hard crashes happen, and there are some parts of the game where you literally can't progress on any version. I played through the whole thing a few years ago this way, I ended up having to switch to a PC emulator to get past Gracos.

I played through the entire thing on 3.72 POPS.

KtSlime

DQVIII was a port of the jpn version
Yeah, I think it probably has shorter (but still long) load times due to it too.

Personally, and I imagine many people will disagree with me, but I find it odd to have voices in Dragon Quest. It really isn't that much work to read.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The voice acting in DQVIII was the best VA I'd ever seen in a game at the time. I loved it. It was charming. I don't care if it was a Japanese port, I want an option! Forget orchestral music, I just wanted to hear Yangus say "COR BLIMEY!" and King Trode's Yoda voice. And that british accent on Elizabeth. ❤️

I don't appreciate you insinuating that I'm lazy because I want to hear voices. Some people want to be immersed in the story. And the game had a really good story. The VA made it more enjoyable during the cutscenes.

Make it free DLC to save space on the main app size.

If there's ever a PC port, I hope they include it as an option.

Pharaun

I recently got DQ II for my phone since I haven't played it in several years and wanted something to do on my lunch break. I had forgotten how short this game is, I finished in about 2 weeks just playing 40-45 minutes during lunch.

I still had a lot of fun with it, but I was amazed at how little it felt like there was to do in the game. It is a substantial improvement on DQ, but it's still not the fully realized product that DQ III would be.

I recently got DQ II for my phone since I haven't played it in several years and wanted something to do on my lunch break. I had forgotten how short this game is, I finished in about 2 weeks just playing 40-45 minutes during lunch.

I still had a lot of fun with it, but I was amazed at how little it felt like there was to do in the game. It is a substantial improvement on DQ, but it's still not the fully realized product that DQ III would be.

I've always been of the opinion that DQ1 and 2 were prototypes. It really was with DQ3 that the series came into its own. That game set the tone, feeling and flow that the series would have evne to today

Jucksalbe

Banned
Do we already have a boxart for DQ Heroes? Looking for something I could use in the OP, need some space, now that I have to add DQ Theatrhythm.

Do we already have a boxart for DQ Heroes? Looking for something I could use in the OP, need some space, now that I have to add DQ Theatrhythm.

Not that I've seen. So far still just the promotional wallpaper ish art and the logo. But I would assume that is what will be used for the box art when it drops.

Teknoman

Well at least DQH PS4 is region free. So if Square ends up not bringing it over, I can feel my way through.

EDIT: Definitive DQVI is supposed to be the SNES version right?

Psxphile

According to the old guard, yes.

I'd like to play it myself. Wasn't really feeling the DS version. Didn't even bother to complete it (think I left off just after I reached the 'Dark World' area).

edit: never fails

Top Bottom