• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Well at least DQH PS4 is region free. So if Square ends up not bringing it over, I can feel my way through.

EDIT: Definitive DQVI is supposed to be the SNES version right?

There isn't really a definitive version IMO. I definitely prefer the DS version overall, but the SFC version has certain pros as well such as monster recruiting, detailed sprite environments, a higher level of challenge especially early on etc.

Aeana

SNES version is a definitive version to me. I don't think the DS version offers anything good other than an English translation. Graphics, music, pacing, balance, etc. etc. etc. are all superior in the SNES version as far as I'm concerned.

It would be because I took a break for a few weeks but I find the story of DQ6 (DS) to be hard to follow.
I have returned to the castle in the introduction.
It is ambitious.

I've long wanted a website for story reminders for games that tell you what you should know up to where you are in the game.

SNES version is a definitive version to me. I don't think the DS version offers anything good other than an English translation. Graphics, music, pacing, balance, etc. etc. etc. are all superior in the SNES version as far as I'm concerned.

That's a tad harsh :p. You may have an issue with pace in DQVI DS, but the battle animations in the SFC are painfully slow today, hell by the time of DQIII SFC, it was already slow. The DS version also just flat out has better battle visuals: UI, enemy sprites, spell animations are all vastly superior. UI in general is superior.

The DS version also gives you access to the bonus dungeon because it respects your time and doesn't require tedious grinding like the original.

It would be because I took a break for a few weeks but I find the story of DQ6 (DS) to be hard to follow.
I have returned to the castle in the introduction.
It is ambitious.

I've long wanted a website for story reminders for games that tell you what you should know up to where you are in the game.
I'm glad a feature like that was introduced in the remake of VII, but VI DS definitely needed it too. My brother took a break from it after 30 hrs and now he's lost. The remake and its map though makes it easier to figure things out than in the original.

The non-battle visuals in all the DS ports are still so upsetting to me. STILL.
I love them! They're unique -- I was one of those weirdos that also thought DWVII looked great at release, though.

randomkid

Hmm, now that DQ1 is 99 cents I'm debating if I should grab it for my Galaxy S3 right now or wait until it goes on sale (I assume tomorrow or so?) on iOS and get it on my Mini.

The game has some kind of scaling issue right? Would things look better on the smaller phone? I kinda would prefer the bigger screen though.

I suppose it also might be more comfortable to play on a phone but I didn't really have any issues with SMT iOS on the Mini.

Gonna be my first time playing!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Personally I think it looks reasonable on the iPad, but I can't stand trying to control it there. The controls are still made for a phone. I find it easier and more comfortable to play these on my phone.

If they tweaked them to have better tablet controls that wouldn't be so uncomfortable it'd be great. Especially the later ones after IV with the nice 3D graphics.

Edit: This is what it looks like on a (non-Retina) iPad:
iQLHEzijcC2qu.PNG

randomkid

Yikes, that doesn't look like virtual joystick placement I could at all get used to. I think you're right that I need to just go with the phone for this.

Aeana

Yikes, that doesn't look like virtual joystick placement I could at all get used to. I think you're right that I need to just go with the phone for this.

You can move the joystick to the left or right sides of the screen. Also, it doesn't matter, because you can actually move by dragging anywhere on the screen.

randomkid

Haha alrighty then. Guess I gotta go looking for games with similar control schemes I could pilot out for free to see what works for me. Only other RPG I played on the Mini was SMT's giant space gameboy setup so I don't really have any experience with this kinda thing.

iOS version's probably more likely to get an update to fix the scaling if that ever happens than Android too I'd imagine.

Aeana

Well, there's no doubt at all that the games are made for phones. I would recommend playing them all on phones over a tablet.

How do the menus work in the android version of the first game? Tapping the menu/misc buttons just moves the character in that direction. Glitch? Note Edge

I'm very tempted to download DQIII on my phone. I guess this is what the dearth of DQ titles on dedicated gaming devices has done to me, but it'll be nice to revisit DQIII anyway since I can't play it any other way atm. Does the smartphone version have enemy animations like the SFC/GBC versions?

I'm very tempted to download DQIII on my phone. I guess this is what the dearth of DQ titles on dedicated gaming devices has done to me, but it'll be nice to revisit DQIII anyway since I can't play it any other way atm. Does the smartphone version have enemy animations like the SFC/GBC versions?
No animations

How do the menus work in the android version of the first game? Tapping the menu/misc buttons just moves the character in that direction. Glitch? Note Edge
Some people reported this in the first reviews and I had this issue as well on the first day (nexus 5) but I thought it was fixed. Is it updated? I think on that first day, there was somewhere around the menu button that would work for me, so this could be a work around...

Camjo-Z

That Square-Enix sale prompted me to buy Dragon Quest 1+2. Then I remembered I had Rocket Slime and DQVIII lying around and never got more than a few hours into either so I've started playing those. Then I went on eBay and ordered DQ Monsters Joker 1+2 just because. Now I'm on a DQ binge and I can't stop myself.

somebody pls halp

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That Square-Enix sale prompted me to buy Dragon Quest 1+2. Then I remembered I had Rocket Slime and DQVIII lying around and never got more than a few hours into either so I've started playing those. Then I went on eBay and ordered DQ Monsters Joker 1+2 just because. Now I'm on a DQ binge and I can't stop myself.

somebody pls halp
Just let it take you away. Let it run through you. Don't fight it.

ethanny2

I have no other means to play DQ VIII and with the Android Sale I am seriously considering buying it... is this a credible way to play? Does it run on Lolipop? Should I be stopped? (On Moto X 2nd gen)

I have no other means to play DQ VIII and with the Android Sale I am seriously considering buying it... is this a credible way to play? Does it run on Lolipop? Should I be stopped? (On Moto X 2nd gen)

The framerate in that version seems intentionally capped at ~20 for battery purposes. I'd rather just play it on a PS2.

Fou-Lu

Do the Dragon Quest games on Android have any issues? I bought the first because it was 99 cents and it seems fine so far. (Though definitely more grinding than I am used to doing recently).

Do the Dragon Quest games on Android have any issues? I bought the first because it was 99 cents and it seems fine so far. (Though definitely more grinding than I am used to doing recently).
They are fine, just skip 8 it's unplayable to me.
Edit

8 runs very slowly and eat up battery life very fast. It also control the wrost out of all of them. I don't mind no voice acting and using the original music.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They are fine, just skip 8 it's unplayable to me.
Edit

8 runs very slowly and eat up battery life very fast. It also control the wrost out of all of them. I don't mind no voice acting and using the original music.
I'd say it controls the best. Especially since most of the time you don't have to activate anything and can talk to people by walking into their radius.

But it's still a resource hog of course.

Fou-Lu

I certainly didn't plan on playing VIII on android, but I think I'll play 1, 2, 3 on android, 4, 5, 6, 9 on DS and 8 on PS2. (I realized I own a lot of DQ games I haven't finished... I think I've only actually beaten 3 and 5)

Just have to beat the Dragonlord now in the first game, but apparently level 17 isn't quite strong enough.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just have to beat the Dragonlord now in the first game, but apparently level 17 isn't quite strong enough.
Go all out. Max yourself up to level 30 and take him on bare handed.

Or use your weapons if you want. Whatever.

Also don't return to Tantegel after you save the princess. Save a little time.

Actually, it's so hard, if not impossible, to defeat him with no equipment even at max level 30. I tried. You'd have to get really lucky.

Fou-Lu

Lvl 18 gave huge boosts to stats pretty sure I can take him now. Let's find out! Getting to level 30 seems like it would be a major chore, enemies give you so little experience. (I find it really exciting to play through an entire series from the first game, I've done it with Zelda and Final Fantasy, and it seems Dragon Quest has become the next series on a whim!)

Edit: The battle and the Princess are mine! Dragonlord defeated, credits achieved. Is two this short? I know none of the other games are.

Pharaun

2 is longer, but not by much. It's probably in the 12-15~ish hour range, maybe a little bit longer for a first play through.

How Long To Beat lists the first game at 10 hours and the second at 22 hours. I'd say that's right. DQ2 is much more open and it can be hard to know where to go to make progress.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Lvl 18 gave huge boosts to stats pretty sure I can take him now. Let's find out! Getting to level 30 seems like it would be a major chore, enemies give you so little experience. (I find it really exciting to play through an entire series from the first game, I've done it with Zelda and Final Fantasy, and it seems Dragon Quest has become the next series on a whim!)

Edit: The battle and the Princess are mine! Dragonlord defeated, credits achieved. Is two this short? I know none of the other games are.
All the best enemies are in the final floor of the Dragonlord's castle. The red dragons give 255 EXP which is the most. I just grind my final levels on that floor.

ahdurian

are the DQ games on iOS/Android really THAT bad?
I don't have a PS/PS2, so I don't know if I would feel comfortable shelling out 20+ for a console and then finding a place to buy the discs.....though I've heard lots of negativity on the mobile versions

Aeana

i've heard it was mainly due to slowdown and the controls. on top of always being in portrait mode

DQ8 is the only one with slowdown problems. Portrait mode works very well on phones, but definitely causes an issue when trying to play via tablets.

randomkid

My issue with DQ1 on Android is the choppy scrolling and a localization that's cranked up so high it's actually a bit difficult to even read through.

Still, it's Dragon Quest on my phone for less than one dollar. And the music alone's basically worth the asking price for me.

Aeana

The choppiness does seem to be an issue on some devices. My main issue with DQ1 and DQ2 is the uneven scaling, which is thankfully fixed in DQ3. DQ3, 4, and 5 are the most high quality ports for sure. And the English version of DQ4 gets a bonus of being more complete than the DS version, by including party chat that was stripped.

tbm24

I'm currently starting out in DQ3 having come off finishing DQ1 and 2 on iOS these recent months. Starting the game right off the bat with a team of 4 is somewhat throwing me off coming off two where it was gradual. I'm really not sure how I should go about playing this game. Should I shuffle around recruits to see what combination I prefer right off the bat? Does it matter what classes I have? I mostly wonder because in DQ2 each new party member started off at lv1. I don't know if that carries over to DQ3 with new recruits. Not sure if just sticking the first 3 party members given to me is worth the grind to the end or if I should hunt for the best combo of classes.

I should mention that I am playing this on my phone and my playing time is reserved to the 30 minute commute to and from work every weekday. My time for experimentation is somewhat limited on the subway.

Cheerilee

I'm currently starting out in DQ3 having come off finishing DQ1 and 2 on iOS these recent months. Starting the game right off the bat with a team of 4 is somewhat throwing me off coming off two where it was gradual. I'm really not sure how I should go about playing this game. Should I shuffle around recruits to see what combination I prefer right off the bat? Does it matter what classes I have? I mostly wonder because in DQ2 each new party member started off at lv1. I don't know if that carries over to DQ3 with new recruits. Not sure if just sticking the first 3 party members given to me is worth the grind to the end or if I should hunt for the best combo of classes.

I should mention that I am playing this on my phone and my playing time is reserved to the 30 minute commute to and from work every weekday. My time for experimentation is somewhat limited on the subway.

A DQ3 novice should stick with the basic RPG party, Muscle/Hero/Healer/Wizard. But don't take the companions who were offered, because you want to get some female diversity in there, and the default offer is a sausage fest (I assume they're still doing that). Recruit some new ones. I think most people suggest the Martial Artist over the Warrior as your team's muscle.

Around level 20, you'll be able to switch job classes, so you can round out your characters or double-down on their specializations, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it and have a better idea of what you want from your characters.

terrisus

I keep forgetting that this thread is here...
I'm a horrible person =(

Bought DQ1 for Android, it works pretty well with the one-handed setup.
I've beaten that countless times though, I really should concentrate on DQ8
which I've never got more than a few hours into >.>

lankelink

Neo Member
I bought DQI and DQII for Android just a couple of days ago. I'm enjoying DQI so far, right now I'm grinding for some money, but still wondering if the magic armor is worthy or not.

Are there metal slimes in this game? I guess they are the fastest way to level up, right?

Metal Slimes are in DQ1, but I never really used them as a level up source. Every english version of DQ1 that's not the original makes it so easy to finish the game with the exp and gold boosts that metal hunting (something I'm not especially fond of in general) just never seemed worth it here.

Magic Armor is pretty skippable due to how you get the final Armor.

Jucksalbe

Banned
To me it reads like he was just in a bad mood when playing the game, because many parts seem a bit exaggerated in how they affect the game.
The score somewhat matches the text, there's not much mentioned that he likes about the game.
But seeing an "Awful" next to DQ7.....well, different opinions, I guess.

Aeana

I'm certainly used to it. Prior to Dragon Quest becoming more popular after 8, DQ7 was one of the least-liked games in English-speaking RPG circles. And its reputation still sticks with it, particularly its "long/boring intro that takes forever before you can get to the first fight," despite the most beloved RPG Persona 4 having an intro that takes even longer.

Jucksalbe

Banned
To me DQ7 feels almost as much an adventure game as it is an RPG, so it doesn't really matter when exactly the fighting begins. It's a well done intro.

To be fair though, people also complain about Persona 4's intro from time to time.

Cheerilee

The many small stories told by visiting the various lands display varied levels of writing aptitude,
Did... he just say that Yuji Horii is a bad writer? Because he dislikes some of the small stories that you encounter along the way. Those ones are the result of a lack of writing skill.

but one thing all of them have in common is a critical contradiction with regard to the passage of time. The people of the new lands say they've been there consistently, yet the inhabitants of already-existing areas talk as if these places suddenly popped up where nothing had been prior.
So, if I conjured ten previously-nonexistent people into existence beside me, and every single one of them swore that they alone were not conjured, that they had been standing next to me for hours, since they walked into the room, they have pasts and lives and memories... each one of them says it's the other nine people who just randomly popped into existence, that's contradictory? Conjured people shouldn't be able to see the magic but believe it's not happening to them?

While writing a story in which the protagonists are the only ones who recognize the changes to the world around them is a difficult prospect using Dragon Quest methods, it still fails to make sense.
This sentence makes my brain hurt. I had to stop reading.

Top Bottom